Serious question

Poon Doctor

Master
They took out stat-loss LONG before AoS. Just because you're a 'vet' to UO doesn't mean it counts if you never played on OSI.

"Stat-loss RemovalStat-loss was added into Ultima Online years ago as one way to protect homeowners in Felucca from falling prey to frequent non-consensual PvP. But with the introduction of a vast new land for housing - Malas - that follows the same ruleset as the Trammel facet, homeowners will now have another choice as to where they wish to live, eliminating the need for stat loss. Whether you choose to adventure in the harsh and challenging environment of Felucca, where murderers and criminals roam free, or the relative safety of Trammel, Ilshenar or Malas, you'll be able to pick the location that is right for you. Age of Shadows will let life in Felucca return to its wild roots, and those that participate in the struggle between good and evil, or the weak and the strong, will be free and clear to follow their challenging lifestyle."

http://uo.stratics.com/content/aos/combatchanges.shtml

halygon

Grandmaster
"Stat-loss RemovalStat-loss was added into Ultima Online years ago as one way to protect homeowners in Felucca from falling prey to frequent non-consensual PvP. But with the introduction of a vast new land for housing - Malas - that follows the same ruleset as the Trammel facet, homeowners will now have another choice as to where they wish to live, eliminating the need for stat loss. Whether you choose to adventure in the harsh and challenging environment of Felucca, where murderers and criminals roam free, or the relative safety of Trammel, Ilshenar or Malas, you'll be able to pick the location that is right for you. Age of Shadows will let life in Felucca return to its wild roots, and those that participate in the struggle between good and evil, or the weak and the strong, will be free and clear to follow their challenging lifestyle."

http://uo.stratics.com/content/aos/combatchanges.shtml
So basically OSI was like, well pks, we completely fucked you over with trammel.. Here's a present to keep you from quitting.

Poon Doctor

Master
PKing use to be prestigious not something that everyone did until it became risk free. It wasn't that OSI (EA I think at that point) saw that PKers are quitting because of trammel, trammel had been in the game for a while. It was more that they wanted to give their current customer base another reason to keep paying their monthly dues.

halygon

Grandmaster
PKing use to be prestigious not something that everyone did until it became risk free. It wasn't that OSI (EA I think at that point) saw that PKers are quitting because of trammel, trammel had been in the game for a while. It was more that they wanted to give their current customer base another reason to keep paying their monthly dues.
Soo.. what I said?

Poon Doctor

Master
Soo.. what I said?

No, not what you said.

The PKs you refer to didn't exist, quit the game, moved on, went outside...

The only people left at the point of removal of stat loss were people who enjoy risk free rewards (IE trammel, no stat loss, item based everything)

Pking used to be prestigious?

OH LAWDY!!

The difference now is that we have voice programs, target macros, changing game mechanics and people knowing every trick. You can no longer just pick on bone ar warriors on 28k modems with 40 strength whilst you bounce around with 40 ping on cable killing them in 2 spells.... Almost everyone now has completed chars, not 300 skill point newbies. Combine that with large, half-organized gank squads that can stun you and target you with 1 simple macro, it means EVERYONE dies, no matter how good you are. Thus the old glory days of pking as you put it, can no longer exist.

Hence, statloss just doesn't work.

FYI - i had 2 pks and a blue healer tried pking my tamer last night (first time in ages!! LOVED IT!!), they failed twice, even with their blue mate, then gated out after deeming myself too difficult/they would eventually mess up and die.... Now if i can do this as a solo player, how come all of you trammers die to my lone pk without as much as a scratch? Maybe the problem is your lack of skill/ability to learn from mistakes, as opposed to the pkers...

Strife

Master

OH LAWDY!!

The difference now is that we have voice programs, target macros, changing game mechanics and people knowing every trick. You can no longer just pick on bone ar warriors on 28k modems with 40 strength whilst you bounce around with 40 ping on cable killing them in 2 spells.... Almost everyone now has completed chars, not 300 skill point newbies. Combine that with large, half-organized gank squads that can stun you and target you with 1 simple macro, it means EVERYONE dies, no matter how good you are. Thus the old glory days of pking as you put it, can no longer exist.

FYI - i had 2 pks and a blue healer tried pking my tamer last night (first time in ages!! LOVED IT!!), they failed twice, even with their blue mate, then gated out after deeming myself too difficult/they would eventually mess up and die.... Now if i can do this as a solo player, how come all of you trammers die to my lone pk without as much as a scratch? Maybe the problem is your lack of skill/ability to learn from mistakes, as opposed to the pkers...
Its off topic, but I have run into the same two PK's and blue healer and they also failed to kill me, but god was it ever fun lol

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
Sorry that wasn't directed at you.... but on OSI wasn't the short term 4 or 8 hours and the long 40?
Its been a long time but I remember having to leave my character logged in for almost 2 days to rez without penalty. And when you did rez before it was safe all your friends freaking out about all the work you have to redo lol... Gotta love this game

Sent from Baja 1997 - ICQ 12013388

halygon

Grandmaster

OH LAWDY!!

This is actually one of the best explanations I've heard yet. Things are different now and the harsh penalties of perma stat loss don't really work well like they used to due to the above.

Chesty Puller

Grandmaster
Devs never said wands, if anything they hinted at proc-on-hit dexxer weapons/bows. How do people feel about this? Like say, 10% chance to cast low-level lightning (say 10-15 damage) on any given hit? Or 20-30% chance of mana drain? This is radically different and a totally separate discussion.
terrible

God.RG

Grandmaster

OH LAWDY!!

This.
Especially "oh lawdy"

besttherewas

Grandmaster

OH LAWDY!!

@Adam @Shane @Carl this quote is wise, a real vet (not a 15 yr blood elemental pvmer) summing up how uo has changed both internally and externally.

Vote no for stat!

Messremb

Grandmaster

OH LAWDY!!

maybe im missing the point, what exactly does this explain. everyone died back in old school UO. and they didn't cry about stat. they knew that they were griefing other players and as such when they died they had to pay for it. and they paid for it way worse than any type of stat that can ever be implemented here.

yes everyone dies and if you are a noob slaying machine who doesn't give a fuck about helping anyone only griefing them you deserve to take a time out and maybe give a little back to the community. honestly I truly hope that when they put in the long short system all the cry babies, who threaten to quit it they cant PK noobs with no risk, do quit. seriously, I think your threats of quitting should be added to the pros list. all you do for the shard is complain and call anybody who isn't power a trammy then tell them they should quit. and then you wonder why nobody listens to you.

Long short is the original UO system and is the furthest thing from trammel. with the changes to make it not affect over world PVP I can only see these changes making things better.

CVegas

Grandmaster
maybe im missing the point, what exactly does this explain. everyone died back in old school UO. and they didn't cry about stat. they knew that they were griefing other players and as such when they died they had to pay for it. and they paid for it way worse than any type of stat that can ever be implemented here.

yes everyone dies and if you are a noob slaying machine who doesn't give a fuck about helping anyone only griefing them you deserve to take a time out and maybe give a little back to the community. honestly I truly hope that when they put in the long short system all the cry babies, who threaten to quit it they cant PK noobs with no risk, do quit. seriously, I think your threats of quitting should be added to the pros list. all you do for the shard is complain and call anybody who isn't power a trammy then tell them they should quit. and then you wonder why nobody listens to you.

Long short is the original UO system and is the furthest thing from trammel. with the changes to make it not affect over world PVP I can only see these changes making things better.

post-23187-Dwayne-The-Rock-Johnson-Clappi-UqCk.gif

aIck

Grandmaster

post-23187-Dwayne-The-Rock-Johnson-Clappi-UqCk.gif

besttherewas

Grandmaster

Those cry babies you speak of are the only ones raiding your rdas and champs. Without them we mays well just have trammel. They also provide large amounts of pvp for the shard to blue pvpers and Newbs testing pvp whilst copping 48 hour time outs for doing so. Do u really think theyll continue to do so if they have to macro after each death? NO. I get pissed off enough when I fight players like the trin guard 3v1, die then get instant stat for 2 days after giving them what they wanted - a fight. Some of u blues should be thanking reds for the fun, not fucking them for 2 days.

If you didn't understand what tap said, it's no wonder you support statloss. Just another shit player with nfi.

Your lack of thought process amuses me.