RDA's have become like an unending game of late-stage monopoly.

EllEssDee

Master
UO is a game where you bleed out activities and saturate the market as a byproduct of it; See: Powerscrolls, Houses, Weapons, Rares. If your solution is to make relics and powerscrolls even more common, that means you just make crazier meta pets and if you're worried about a guild having dominance or strangleholding a particular activity, that T-map idea (essentially making RDAs spawnable/easier to farm) actually makes it worse in the long run.

Also, thief relic when?

MZ3K

Grandmaster
UO is a game where you bleed out activities and saturate the market as a byproduct of it; See: Powerscrolls, Houses, Weapons, Rares.

I wish you had read my post. I didnt propose a solution. The person who did didn't propose what you're suggesting. The creation of more RDAs hasn't even come up yet.

EllEssDee

Master
I wish you had read my post. I didnt propose a solution. The person who did didn't propose what you're suggesting. The creation of more RDAs hasn't even come up yet.

"Solution is have portal shards drop randomly in treasure map chests. 5 shards make a stone (like the old fellucia and trammie gate stones). The stone when used opens a random portal.
Thus ending the monoploy and making tmaps something great again"

I forgot how to read, you did too it looks like

MZ3K

Grandmaster
"Solution is have portal shards drop randomly in treasure map chests. 5 shards make a stone (like the old fellucia and trammie gate stones). The stone when used opens a random portal.
Thus ending the monoploy and making tmaps something great again"

I forgot how to read, you did too it looks like

I think he was using that as an example. In any case, if 5 shards/portal were the main thing he was suggesting, it wouldn't change the fact that a less specified version of what he wrote (i.e. the right number of shards/portal) isn't a bad idea.

drasked

Grandmaster
I would also like to point out, for the purposes of discussion, that the OPs post would be just as true if you replace the words "WERKT" with "EQMS" and "RDA" with "IDOC" and "Metas" with "Newbs in purple".

Seriously, I did it... have a read:

What item do i buy that tells me about IDOCs coming up and increases my range to track them?

ProdigyOsi

Grandmaster
What item do i buy that tells me about IDOCs coming up and increases my range to track them?
I am not trying to draw some systemic parallel between IDOCs and RDAs. They are different, and that's the point. I am only saying that they are "monopolized" in the same way, maybe even more-so IMO.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
UO is a game where you bleed out activities and saturate the market as a byproduct of it; See: Powerscrolls, Houses, Weapons, Rares. If your solution is to make relics and powerscrolls even more common, that means you just make crazier meta pets and if you're worried about a guild having dominance or strangleholding a particular activity, that T-map idea (essentially making RDAs spawnable/easier to farm) actually makes it worse in the long run.

Predictably, some veterans hate the idea of losing pixels by making content more accessible to newer players. However, if we want new players then you can't have them feeling shut out which is the current state of affairs.

Creating more RDA's or any other means of making relics more accessible would be beneficial to newer players. Newer players will be more apt to stick around if they are seeing progress for the work they put into their character. This does not happen when new players spend endless hours fruitless hoping for a good relic or powerscroll that never appears.

The choice is whether to leave new players with an experience where they can see the benefits of the work they put into a character. The other choice is that they can feel like UOF is a never ending relic-lottery where new players always lose. Then they leave.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster

Dumb analogy. IDOC's have no bearing on whether or not a new player can actually develop their character. Obviously, RDA's have more effect on newer players as this is a primary means of extremely rare relics necessary to complete a character.

ProdigyOsi

Grandmaster
Predictably, some veterans hate the idea of losing pixels by making content more accessible to newer players. However, if we want new players then you can't have them feeling shut out which is the current state of affairs.

Creating more RDA's or any other means of making relics more accessible would be beneficial to newer players. Newer players will be more apt to stick around if they are seeing progress for the work they put into their character. This does not happen when new players spend endless hours fruitless hoping for a good relic or powerscroll that never appears.

The choice is whether to leave new players with an experience where they can see the benefits of the work they put into a character. The other choice is that they can feel like UOF is a never ending relic-lottery where new players always lose. Then they leave.

You're not wrong, but you need to keep one thing in mind. There is an important balance to keep in mind here. If the "best of the best" becomes too accessible, then there is no reason to keep playing. MMOS are nothing more than massive time sinks after all.

Last edited by a moderator:

drasked

Grandmaster
I am not trying to draw some systemic parallel between IDOCs and RDAs. They are different, and that's the point. I am only saying that they are "monopolized" in the same way, maybe even more-so IMO.

Would you agree that an item that gives that much information about RDA's is the main reason why people are able to dominate them?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to RDA's but i was on TS with a guildy and helping him track RDA's and he was able to tell what RDA's were up and who found them (and thus knowing when to stop looking) without finding the actual portal.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
You're not wrong, but you need to keep one thing in mind. There is a balance to this statement which is important to uphold. If the best of the best becomes too accessible then there isn't a reason to stay and play once it's been achieved.

That's why I advocate for a paradigm shift. Relics should be rare, yes. However, they shouldn't be thought of as nearly unobtainable by newer players like they are currently.

New players would enjoy putting their effort into actually building a character rather than playing the lottery. This shifts putting the effort into to searching for a relic into building the character. Doing it this way wouldn't decrease the rarity of metas. The amount of effort required to achieve a max'd out meta could stay the same. The difference would be that the effort a player puts in would be measurable. If a player can see observable progress based on the work they put in then they are much more likely to stick with UOF than if they feel like they are endlessly playing a rigged lottery where they lose every time.

Besides, there's other rare shit and shiny pixels to seek that don't shut new players out of the game. :/

Swayze

Grandmaster
That's why I advocate for a paradigm shift. Relics should be rare, yes. However, they shouldn't be thought of as nearly unobtainable by newer players like they are currently.

New players would enjoy putting their effort into actually building a character rather than playing the lottery. This shifts putting the effort into to searching for a relic into building the character. Doing it this way wouldn't decrease the rarity of metas. The amount of effort required to achieve a max'd out meta could stay the same. The difference would be that the effort a player puts in would be measurable. If a player can see observable progress based on the work they put in then they are much more likely to stick with UOF than if they feel like they are endlessly playing a rigged lottery where they lose every time.

Besides, there's other rare shit and shiny pixels to seek that don't shut new players out of the game. :/

Young/New players can get relics. Go to a champ, get 1 score.... you have just as much a chance as everyone else.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Theres nothing wrong with large guilds dominating end-game content... thats the whole reason large guilds exist. Guilds who put in the time and effort to organize RDA searches should definitely reap the words of their work. My only suggestions to improve RDAs would be:

1. Do not allow people to help stuck out or recall out of RDAs. With RDAs being on foot, its often nearly impossible to raid an RDA as the only effective way to raid an RDA is to have an equal amount of tamers and blue PK the tamers doing the rda. However often times we will have a group of PKs ready to fight people leaving an RDA and they just recall or help stuck out to avoid a fight.

2. The faction RDA is broken -- currently werkt just has an alt in minax(when the guilds faction is SL) logged out in the base. As soon as RDAs popup, they log in their guy on top of the base RDA gate and go in... mark, and thats the last you will see of them on a faction char. Make the faction RDA spawn in a faction base so that only factioners are able to participate. This would encourage not only faction PVP to enter the gate but make it so if you wanna do RDAs, you have to have your tamer in factions which mean more people have end up factioning as a result. Hell, you can spawn a 3rd regular RDA so that there are 3 regular RDAs and 1 faction RDA.

ProdigyOsi

Grandmaster
Would you agree that an item that gives that much information about RDA's is the main reason why people are able to dominate them?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to RDA's but i was on TS with a guildy and helping him track RDA's and he was able to tell what RDA's were up and who found them (and thus knowing when to stop looking) without finding the actual portal.

I wouldn't say that, I would attribute our "dominance" to other factors. I believe that the gem gives easier access to the less committed guilds who don't have the time to constantly time and track RDAs. If you've got one you can see when they are up just like we do. This levels the playing field. If it was 100% left up to keeping timings we would get far more just like PCH/T^C used to.

ProdigyOsi

Grandmaster
2. The faction RDA is broken -- currently werkt just has an alt in minax(when the guilds faction is SL) logged out in the base. As soon as RDAs popup, they log in their guy on top of the base RDA gate and go in... mark, and thats the last you will see of them on a faction char. Make the faction RDA spawn in a faction base so that only factioners are able to participate. This would encourage not only faction PVP to enter the gate but make it so if you wanna do RDAs, you have to have your tamer in factions which mean more people have end up factioning as a result. Hell, you can spawn a 3rd regular RDA so that there are 3 regular RDAs and 1 faction RDA.
Get rid of it. The faction RDA is bad for business and it still would be with your suggested change. Completely re-porous the brit sigil IMO.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Get rid of it. The faction RDA is bad for business. Completely re-porous the brit sigil.

Why not just make it for factions only -- and put an additional normal RDA in the circuit. Doesnt make sense trying to repurpose sigils completely when theyll be eliminated soon for the new militia system.

btw, you cannot recall out of an RDA - it was a bug with 1 specific RDA that has been fixed now.

Thoughts on help stuck? Maybe make help stuck take 5-10 mins out of an RDA instead of 1-2mins.

Swayze

Grandmaster
Why not just make it for factions only -- and put an additional normal RDA in the circuit. Doesnt make sense trying to repurpose sigils completely when theyll be eliminated soon for the new militia system.

Thoughts on help stuck? Maybe make help stuck take 5-10 mins out of an RDA instead of 1-2mins.

I agree 100% - help stuck should not be allowed. I will add it to the list.

Messremb

Grandmaster
Make help stuck reveal you and take 2-4 min in rdas. Forcing players to exit into poison fields and mass ev's and e bolt rails on foot, is just as silly as expecting pks to go into rdas on foot against tamers

I would like to see rdas more random, 6 hour timer was needed when there was no way of knowing if any were up, but now it just makes it too easy for zerg guilds to control them. It also means people log on for 1-2 hours fire rdas, then log off for 4 hours.

Makes rdas have a 2-4 hour random respawn timer from when they were last completed. That will keep people playing all day, and give smaller guilds a fighting chance.

Just my 2 cents. But I may me biased since I can't find more than an hour to play a day at this point.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk