RDA's have become like an unending game of late-stage monopoly.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
Werkt has won. I tip my hat to them. I don't do RDAs (so this isn't a personal concern for me), but I see the screen shots of the insane amount of metas (which, is an accomplishment, and again, congrats), and read in alliance chat about RDAs ending in what seems like two minutes or less.

It's abundantly clear that Werkt owns them. That's cool. They deserve them. They've got a machine that, well, works.

But if you've ever played monopoly, when it's abundantly clear who's going to win, you know that it stopped being fun when you stopped having a chance to win. You probably keep playing because the right thing to do is to wait and let the person putt it out (so to speak) and enjoy the victory. However, it wouldn't be reasonable of anyone to expect you to keep playing that game if it were never going to conclude. Eventually, you need a shot at winning again, or else it's just not fun.

My concern is for the shard. RDAs are a selling point. If a new player comes in and tries an RDA but cant see a target on account of the meta-dragon wings that, literally, cover 80-90% of the playing area, and doesn't get a shot at playing a fairly big part of the game, then the RDA is, in effect, non existent for that player. If RDAs helped bring that player here, he will, without a doubt, be disappointed.

I don't know what the solution is. I'm not a communist. I don't want to advocate making it more difficult for werkt just because their machine works. But these need to be more accessible to more players more often. Otherwise it is the perfect recipe for frustration (which the folks in brain science understand pretty well):

1. Create expectation.
2. Prevent the realization of that expectation.
3. Frustration.
4. Quitting. <---- This is what we need to prevent.

With ~500 players, each player is important. We aren't helping our server if we have a feature like that: designed to attract players but actually deters them.

(Please spare the 'werkt doesn't get 100% of the RDAs' arguments. It's pretty much common knowledge that they get what is, in effect, 99.999% of them).

Last edited by a moderator:

AssHat

Grandmaster
9+ months in werkt/other name and i am in 80th place in RDA point, 0 Relics, 2 120 power scrolls, no statues,and hundred of wasted hours searching for something for 2 mins.

put some work in. for a great reward or honestly in my 100% opinion you can make more gold faster over time then looking/searching for rdas. i think they are a waste of time. but i still hope for my lucky time!

MZ3K

Grandmaster
in my 100% opinion you can make more gold faster over time then looking/searching for rdas.

This is my opinion too. Like I said, I don't do RDA's. The only horse I have in this race is the same one that we all have: the continued, and increasing, success of the server.

But, with due respect, your reply misses the point. The point is that a good number of people are interested in playing RDAs for whatever their reasons are. If they come here to play them, and can't, they will be disappointed in the server. That's not good.

AssHat

Grandmaster
This is my opinion too. Like I said, I don't do RDA's. The only horse I have in this race is the same one that we all have: the continued, and increasing, success of the server.

But, with due respect, your reply misses the point. The point is that a good number of people are interested in playing RDAs for whatever their reasons are. If they come here to play them, and can't, they will be disappointed in the server. That's not good.

we all wish there was more content, but this is where guilds come into play, not everything can be a solo experience, but of which i know Wubert can solo rda's and has found alone, so like i said its something you have to work hard for and just is not a easy thing.

Some One

Master
Seems like hes saying others don't have opportunity to do a RDA ,if its a monopoly.
Seems though i have to admit.
Not sure on a solution, but what we have isn't it.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
Well fingers crossed for the expansion. The OP clearly illustrates an obvious source of frustration that we can all imagine ourselves experiencing if we were entirely new to this shard.

Clearly, large guilds of experienced players will reap benefits by working together with other veteran players. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, newer players probably do feel shut out under the current system. The best relics are extremely rare and if you are not in one of the few guilds that know how to effectively find and conquer the RDA's then its going to be a much longer journey for the newbies coming into the shard. There are champs and MOTM but RDA's are definitely top of the list in terms of effort/reward.

The shard would present itself as a more hospitable environment to newer players if less emphasis were placed on obtaining items that are effectively cut off by veteran players. If the relic system focused more on grinding for experience rather than endlessly and fruitlessly searching for the relics then newer players would be better set up for success. This is not to say that relics should be handed out like candy but rather that they should at least be reasonably obtainable by newer players that arrive fresh on the scene.

My last point might stray a bit from the topic. In addition to allowing new players access to relics, newbies (and veterans) would also love to see more options for character development. If you aren't a tamer then you are going to be severely limited in your PvM ability. Its still hard to believe that's the case in 2016. Even harder to believe that point seems controversial to some. And yes, I am aware that once upon a time after Bradley left someone saw a berserker outscore a tamer at an event... *eye roll*

Young Star

Grandmaster
WERKT actually has competition. If RDAs go down quickly it is usually because more then one guild has found them. Just yesterday we went 0/3 for a round. There are many rounds that we have to fight for each one, usually in the morning-mid day.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
WERKT actually has competition. If RDAs go down quickly it is usually because more then one guild has found them. Just yesterday we went 0/3 for a round. There are many rounds that we have to fight for each one, usually in the morning-mid day.

Yeah, there are several guilds that compete for those things. I think the main point is that a better system would focus more on having players work on leveling their characters rather than competing with large numbers of highly experienced veterans that are fiercely working together to corner the market on items essential to character development.

Dig'em

Grandmaster
No offense but the OP is just another example of the ignorance of how the rdas actually work, if you want my advice, join one of the 4 large guilds doing rdas (werkt, eqms, $, TBA) and see the absolute manhunt when they become active, and the amount of PVP it brings to the server, some of the best fights I've been in were for rdas, and I've personally seen an RDA up for hours, and put hours in and found it, HOURS. I love the system how it is and its not cuz I'm getting filthy rich from them, with so many people involved your chance of loot can be minimal, but the teamwork and achievement of your goal. Make a tracker, make a guild even, fill it with trackers even, and you'll get one, it's all effort vs. reward. WERKT has even taken fragment and spawned them in the populated area of Britain so newer players can enjoy it and maybe get motivated to get out there. So hopefully this post reaches you, and you actually do something about it instead of making a forum post complaining to gms and hoping to get changed, offer solutions! I just have you one :)

Bromista

Grandmaster
Well fingers crossed for the expansion. The OP clearly illustrates an obvious source of frustration that we can all imagine ourselves experiencing if we were entirely new to this shard.

Clearly, large guilds of experienced players will reap benefits by working together with other veteran players. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, newer players probably do feel shut out under the current system. The best relics are extremely rare and if you are not in one of the few guilds that know how to effectively find and conquer the RDA's then its going to be a much longer journey for the newbies coming into the shard. There are champs and MOTM but RDA's are definitely top of the list in terms of effort/reward.

The shard would present itself as a more hospitable environment to newer players if less emphasis were placed on obtaining items that are effectively cut off by veteran players. If the relic system focused more on grinding for experience rather than endlessly and fruitlessly searching for the relics then newer players would be better set up for success. This is not to say that relics should be handed out like candy but rather that they should at least be reasonably obtainable by newer players that arrive fresh on the scene.

My last point might stray a bit from the topic. In addition to allowing new players access to relics, newbies (and veterans) would also love to see more options for character development. If you aren't a tamer then you are going to be severely limited in your PvM ability. Its still hard to believe that's the case in 2016. Even harder to believe that point seems controversial to some. And yes, I am aware that once upon a time after Bradley left someone saw a berserker outscore a tamer at an event... *eye roll*
You had me until the "not a tamer" rhetoric...

Wizx13

Grandmaster
Solution is have portal shards drop randomly in treasure map chests. 5 shards make a stone (like the old fellucia and trammie gate stones). The stone when used opens a random portal.
Thus ending the monoploy and making tmaps something great again

lollo

Grandmaster
Solution is have portal shards drop randomly in treasure map chests. 5 shards make a stone (like the old fellucia and trammie gate stones). The stone when used opens a random portal.

Best idea EVER

toastyy

Apprentice

Really great idea. Open up RDAs to more players and make t-map hunting great again.

AssHat

Grandmaster
just wasted 3 hours this morning looking for 1 rda, still nothing, but i can pull up on a good day 15-20 lvl 5+ tmaps.

this is end game folks, be prepared on all fronts, if you make it as simple as tmaps, that would flood the market even more with relics and powerscrolls. leave this to the pros, when you have your big boy pants on, come play!!! GET WERKT!!!!!

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
If T-maps spawned fragments to make portals, it would only be a matter of time before these big guild are basically camping the different locations and then T-mapping becomes a PvP thing.

Solution:
Only happens on lvl 5/6 T-maps
Same drop rate as a 120 Taming (or worse)
Make T-maps random locations

MZ3K

Grandmaster
just wasted 3 hours this morning looking for 1 rda, still nothing, but i can pull up on a good day 15-20 lvl 5+ tmaps.

that would flood the market even more with relics and powerscrolls.

The post that suggested the idea didn't say 1RDA/tmap. He suggested that there be some ratio (5:1) of RDAs:Tmaps. That ratio (which doesn't have to be 5:1) would determine how frequently RDAs spawn.

AssHat

Grandmaster
The post that suggested the idea didn't say 1RDA/tmap. He suggested that there be some ratio (5:1) of RDAs:Tmaps. That ratio (which doesn't have to be 5:1) would determine how frequently RDAs spawn.

would have to be so high it would almost be not worth it, but then again we are talking end game so make it 200 tmaps = 1 personal rda. im down with that lol

MZ3K

Grandmaster
If T-maps spawned fragments to make portals, it would only be a matter of time before these big guild are basically camping the different locations and then T-mapping becomes a PvP thing.

I was concerned about that too when I read the post, but with hundreds of Tmap spots, I don't know that camping sites is feasible. I suspect that it'd be more efficient to just buy the maps and do them.

AssHat

Grandmaster

Solution:
Only happens on lvl 5/6 T-maps
Same drop rate as a 120 Taming (or worse)
Make T-maps random locations

wait, just like an rda? lol +1