RDA's have become like an unending game of late-stage monopoly.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
would have to be so high it would almost be not worth it

which is what you've said about the difficulty of finding RDAs (very difficult and not worth it over all). As long as the chance of getting an RDA is the same, all that would change is how RDAs are found.

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
I was concerned about that too when I read the post, but with hundreds of Tmap spots, I don't know that camping sites is feasible. I suspect that it'd be more efficient to just buy the maps and do them.
You are underestimating some of these guilds. How long did it take for that RDA to drop last night, 9 minutes from alliance announcement? Sure they wouldn't be able to watch them all, all the time. But I would be really pissed if after pulling up a lvl 5 t-map and dealing with the spawn if a portal opened and 5+ Reds came through and steal it from me.

toastyy

Apprentice
What about introducing the notion of fragment types? You need one of each unique fragment "type" to create an RDA.

Each fragment type could be linked to activities like fishing, treasure hunting, dungeon chests, etc. This would help invigorate the activities used to farm fragments and prevent people from simply being able to pull treasure chests all day to get RDAs.

Cam Newton

Master
What about introducing the notion of fragment types? You need one of each unique fragment "type" to create an RDA.

Each fragment type could be linked to activities like fishing, treasure hunting, dungeon chests, etc. This would help invigorate the activities used to farm fragments and prevent people from simply being able to pull treasure chests all day to get RDAs.

Best idea ever.

girana

Grandmaster
it is easy to raid wrekt in RDAs.

is was real easy before they changed the rulz but we still do it easy.

Afro Man

Grandmaster
Solution is have portal shards drop randomly in treasure map chests. 5 shards make a stone (like the old fellucia and trammie gate stones). The stone when used opens a random portal.
Thus ending the monoploy and making tmaps something great again
Great idea for a horribly implemented RDA system *Cross Fingers*

ProdigyOsi

Grandmaster
WERKT guild is interested in getting more people into RDAs. That's why we spawn the occasional portal on WBB. We will probably continue to do one a week or so as long as things don't change significantly and change the amount of fragments we can obtain.

Outside of that I would be happy to help any other guild who wants to get into them, and is serious about putting in the effort, to get going and get organized.

I also think that giving out fragments through some other means (i.e. invasions, double champs, PVP events, champ rare drops, level 5 t-map rare chance etc...) would be a good way to get more people into them. if this results in small to medium size guilds doing one or two spawned RDAs a month then I think that's a good thing. Maybe enough to convince some of the other guilds to take the steps into getting more into the game.

ProdigyOsi

Grandmaster
I would also like to point out, for the purposes of discussion, that the OPs post would be just as true if you replace the words "WERKT" with "EQMS" and "RDA" with "IDOC" and "Metas" with "Newbs in purple".

Seriously, I did it... have a read:

EQMS has won. I tip my hat to them. I don't do IDOCs (so this isn't a personal concern for me), but I see the screen shots of the insane amount of newbs in purple (which, is an accomplishment, and again, congrats), and read in alliance chat about IDOCs getting raided in what seems like two minutes or before they fall.

It's abundantly clear that EQMS owns them. That's cool. They deserve them. They've got a machine that, well, works.

But if you've ever played monopoly, when it's abundantly clear who's going to win, you know that it stopped being fun when you stopped having a chance to win. You probably keep playing because the right thing to do is to wait and let the person putt it out (so to speak) and enjoy the victory. However, it wouldn't be reasonable of anyone to expect you to keep playing that game if it were never going to conclude. Eventually, you need a shot at winning again, or else it's just not fun.

My concern is for the shard. IDOCs are a selling point. If a new player comes in and tries an IDOC but cant see a target on account of the meta-dragon wings that, literally, cover 80-90% of the playing area, and doesn't get a shot at playing a fairly big part of the game, then the IDOC is, in effect, non existent for that player. If IDOCs helped bring that player here, he will, without a doubt, be disappointed.

I don't know what the solution is. I'm not a communist. I don't want to advocate making it more difficult for EQMS just because their machine works. But these need to be more accessible to more players more often. Otherwise it is the perfect recipe for frustration (which the folks in brain science understand pretty well):

1. Create expectation.

2. Prevent the realization of that expectation.

3. Frustration.

4. Quitting. <---- This is what we need to prevent.

With ~500 players, each player is important. We aren't helping our server if we have a feature like that: designed to attract players but actually deters them.

(Please spare the 'EQMS doesn't get 100% of the IDOCs' arguments. It's pretty much common knowledge that they get what is, in effect, 99.999% of them)

Last edited by a moderator:

MZ3K

Grandmaster
I would also like to point out, for the purposes of discussion, that the OPs post would be just as true if you replace the words, WERKT with EQM and RDA with IDOC.

You're right it does fit. I thought about that when I wrote the OP. However, there's an important difference:

My concern is about generating frustration in new players as a consequence of creating an expectation whose realization is prevented. Recall what I wrote about frustration.

1. Create expectation.
2. Prevent the realization of that expectation.
3. Frustration.
4. Quitting. <---- This is what we need to prevent.

Your analogy extends as far as the second part (the prevention of the realization of something). However, in so far as the creation of an expectation is concerned, there is no analogy between IDOCs and RDAs: The shard advertises RDAs. The shard does not advertise IDOCs. No expectation is create by management, and for that reason IDOCs dont have the same potential to frustrate new players.

Last edited by a moderator: