Pet skill loss is impossible to work with.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripstas

Master
Pretty sure that is the first successful raid even made on the shame champ. Not only is there a safe zone with an ahnk you have tight corridors just asking to get some kills with dragons.

Garillo

Master
Pretty sure that is the first successful raid even made on the shame champ. Not only is there a safe zone with an ahnk you have tight corridors just asking to get some kills with dragons.

EQMS rolled the Shame champ the first and second day it was up. Dead bodies decorated the floors as much as the para fields and walls did.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
-people who use pets for PVP have their OP mode "all kill" instea death balanced to be in line with other templates that do no require hundreds of hours to make

As for talismens -- once again, forcing people to purchase and grind up relics is agains the core tenet of UO pvp: character grind doesnt determine success, skill and tactics determine success.
Yes lets make everyone in UO a pot chucker.

There are plenty of PvPers who will put in the time to grind up powerful templates, but I don't think I've ever been killed by a tamer-PK. If it were as OP as you say, you'd see a lot more of it.

Your suggestions are patently self-interested, as always. You don't want character development to affect success because it would help your horde of newbs who only log on for a couple hours a week.

the core tenet of UO pvp: character grind doesnt determine success, skill and tactics determine success.

You just make things up as you go along. How is that a "core tenet" of UO pvp? Character development was always a factor in PvP. Especially on UO:R.

If you want a game that's purely based on skill, then play Call of Duty. As far as PvP skill is concerned UO is to CoD as tic-tac-toe is to chess. You even said it yourself in another post "nothing in UO takes skill".

UO is like drag racing or trading card games. Some of your success is determined by how well you play the game and some of it is determined by the effort you put into building the thing you play the game with.

Last edited by a moderator:

kolbycrouch

Master
I could care less about someones nightmare on their stun tamer.

If you want to play like a glass cannon, go for it.

I fought one in com the other day, and they stayed red-lined half of the fight because I don't think I missed a single swing on them.

I only care about your super custom godly pet doing super custom godly damage.

halygon

Grandmaster
I don't like responding to these types of threads much because usually there are no answers that will suit everyone 100%. I would like to clarify to @Owain Green (who stirred this back up again) what he commented on:

Umm yes it does... why give pets skills if they do nothing exactly? and resist does matter its called taking less dmg? same goes with wrestling a dragon with 0 wrestling will do fuck all dmg compared to 100 so stand there saying skills do fuck all and For someone in the original post to fucking say US PVMers then the pvpers come in here way to derail a decent thread... I know exactly where she is coming form resist and Magery SS's are far too exspensive to just pop a few on every death The enitre point of skills is to benefit yourself and pet if they dont work then remove them... and i myself am a tamer on my main i dont even have a meta yet and i still burn through SS's on my WW and beetle... and i macro afk mana vampire on my pets get them to 90% and ohh look they dont die to casters like balrons and shit so easy... thats what skills do...

The point was with the skill resist & magery - not all skills. The mechanics are different for each skill. When it comes to resist, you do not need to have 100 skill to have effective spell damage reduction. So enforcing the notion that its GM or bust is not an accurate assumption. Magery is similar to resist. The magery skill is what gives you a success chance in casting a spell - as you have higher magery skill, you can cast higher circle spells more successfully. Pets cannot cast 8th circle spells, the highest they can cast is 7th circle (ie flamstrike). Pets also do not fizzle, so their casting mechanics are different than a player. Pets need to have the minimum magery for a given spell to begin casting that spell. So a pet with 66.1 (minimum skill for 7th circle) can cast flamestrike. So your pet does not need GM magery to blast 7th circle spells. Magery skill does go into the resistance formula, so higher magery equals less resisted spells, but only to a point.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Yes lets make everyone in UO a pot chucker.

There are plenty of PvPers who will put in the time to grind up powerful templates, but I don't think I've ever been killed by a tamer-PK. If it were as OP as you say, you'd see a lot more of it.

Your suggestions are patently self-interested, as always. You don't want character development to affect success because it would help your horde of newbs who only log on for a couple hours a week.

You just make things up as you go along. How is that a "core tenet" of UO pvp? Character development was always a factor in PvP. Especially on UO:R.

If you want a game that's purely based on skill, then play Call of Duty. As far as PvP skill is concerned UO is to CoD as tic-tac-toe is to chess. You even said it yourself in another post "nothing in UO takes skill".

UO is like drag racing or trading card games. Some of your success is determined by how well you play the game and some of it is determined by the effort you put into building the thing you play the game with.

So you want grind to play a factor in determining winning or losing a fight in the year of our lord 2016? Do you also wish that PVP characters took 2 years to finish instead of 2 days?

MZ3K

Grandmaster
So you want grind to play a factor in determining winning or losing a fight

It's a defining part of MMOs. If you don't want it to be a factor why not remove grinding altogether? Everyone just picks 7 skills at the outset. Or better yet, play Call of Duty.

But don't get me wrong; I get where you're coming from. The less effort required to make characters - the more your human-wave battle tactics work.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
I don't like responding to these types of threads much because usually there are no answers that will suit everyone 100%. I would like to clarify to @Owain Green (who stirred this back up again) what he commented on:

The point was with the skill resist & magery - not all skills. The mechanics are different for each skill. When it comes to resist, you do not need to have 100 skill to have effective spell damage reduction. So enforcing the notion that its GM or bust is not an accurate assumption. Magery is similar to resist. The magery skill is what gives you a success chance in casting a spell - as you have higher magery skill, you can cast higher circle spells more successfully. Pets cannot cast 8th circle spells, the highest they can cast is 7th circle (ie flamstrike). Pets also do not fizzle, so their casting mechanics are different than a player. Pets need to have the minimum magery for a given spell to begin casting that spell. So a pet with 66.1 (minimum skill for 7th circle) can cast flamestrike. So your pet does not need GM magery to blast 7th circle spells. Magery skill does go into the resistance formula, so higher magery equals less resisted spells, but only to a point.

So if it doesn't matter - why not fix it so it doesn't bother a considerable chunk of your player base. Not like it would unbalance anything.

Cinder

Master
OK.. I am over it.

(Good thing it is female prerogative to change our minds. :) )

I still don't like pet killing, evil, greedy, spawn stealing giefers.

You should get a life and pvp with pvpers not grief tamers and kill pets.
Kill me, steal my loot. I don't care. It is needless to kill my pets, just to be a horses butt.

That is why I posted about pets skills loss. OH and yes, it does make a difference if pets are max skills or not!!!
Other wise why would I care?? :p
It didn't use to be like this, when I first created my tamer and got a meta pet. It was balanced, gains and losses.
And it is a game changer for PVMERS.. So if you are not a pvmer dont worry about it!!

Cinder

Master
Bah dont quit. get organized kill us and stat us . its never personal . half the server was at that champ

:(

I do not pvp, I do not stat players and so it seems, I don't quit either. :)
I am organized as tamer, with spawn. I have a great "panic" button that I use daily, when I see reds come in.
That is what PVM ers do. If you want to pvp, find pvpers.. lol

I love this game, and most of the people I play with. It is my escape from my real life. It is supposed to be fun for EVERYONE.

I understand that there are evil pvpers , who love to grief. I just got double dosed the other day, and I wanted to quit. (BooHoo) :(

It is not worth playing a game when you work so hard to do things just to get ganked. But, I know .. It is UO.

Live with it or leave it.

Just so you know tho. This game needs a few nice people around to help out the new players, who need to learn and build up their toons.
So I DO serve a purpose.

And there are many like me who love to just pvm. Even with the risk! Steal my loots, kill me, I don't like it but, I don't mind sharing my riches.

But killing pets is wrong. Especially to the extent that some players do it. That is personal.

Factions?? No thx. Never done them for more then a few days. :) Don't really care to explore that type of game play.

If pet skills are fixed or balanced. Pet death would not be such an issue.
Then It wouldn't matter a bit about getting pk d and pets pk d.
(I ball them most of the time any how.)

If I see you, I will continue to "panic" out. Have fun, happy hunts

Bobby123

Grandmaster
I do not pvp, I do not stat players and so it seems, I don't quit either. :)
I am organized as tamer, with spawn. I have a great "panic" button that I use daily, when I see reds come in.
That is what PVM ers do. If you want to pvp, find pvpers.. lol

I love this game, and most of the people I play with. It is my escape from my real life. It is supposed to be fun for EVERYONE.

I understand that there are evil pvpers , who love to grief. I just got double dosed the other day, and I wanted to quit. (BooHoo) :(

It is not worth playing a game when you work so hard to do things just to get ganked. But, I know .. It is UO.

Live with it or leave it.

Just so you know tho. This game needs a few nice people around to help out the new players, who need to learn and build up their toons.
So I DO serve a purpose.

And there are many like me who love to just pvm. Even with the risk! Steal my loots, kill me, I don't like it but, I don't mind sharing my riches.

But killing pets is wrong. Especially to the extent that some players do it. That is personal.

Factions?? No thx. Never done them for more then a few days. :) Don't really care to explore that type of game play.

If pet skills are fixed or balanced. Pet death would not be such an issue.
Then It wouldn't matter a bit about getting pk d and pets pk d.
(I ball them most of the time any how.)

If I see you, I will continue to "panic" out. Have fun, happy hunts

PM SENT @Cinder

learn how to fight fire with fire .

Sometimes its better this way .

Learn how to defend yourself .

Cinder

Master
PM SENT @Cinder

learn how to fight fire with fire .

Sometimes its better this way .

Learn how to defend yourself .
I have tried. :)
I can't do it. I have played UO for over ten years.
I master taming and pvm, but horrible at pvp. thx tho.
I do somewhat better now with all guard or all kill , but tamers with no eval, no resist is nothing for a pot chunker, vanq holder to gank! :)
I appreciate that your guild does not kill my pets, and they do ress. I really don't mind the getting killed and loosing my loots. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.