Pet skill loss is impossible to work with.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolbycrouch

Master
I don't know how someone can get upset about pk's when they play UO:R.

Later expansions of the game added incredible depth to PvM and also added rulesets that completely separated PvM and PvP.

Then again, if you wanted that, why play UO? There are tons of games with broken/no pvp that have amazing pvm mechanics.

Being a top contender on the largest AOS server for the past decade, I decided to quit and start fresh here.

Because this shard cares about balance in the game.

Because this era of UO promotes brutality and consequence, the one thing that AOS truly lacks.

Because I see 4x the population on 1/4 of the game map.

Because I spent ~12 years gaining wealth on said server to be competitive, and simply won't repeat that mistake.

And I here so much fire over getting pk'd, having a pet die, losing a weapon, or having your relics nerfed, and these same people say that AOS was bad? I've met players here in the last 2 months that are more "trammy" than most of the players on my old server.

the idea that veteran players in 2016 are inclined to quit because someone like me took 50 of each reg and 5k off your corpse is surprising.

Cinder

Master

Later expansions of the game added incredible depth to PvM and also added rulesets that completely separated PvM and PvP.

Then again, if you wanted that, why play UO? There are tons of games with broken/no pvp that have amazing pvm mechanics.

Being a top contender on the largest AOS server for the past decade, I decided to quit and start fresh here.

Because this era of UO promotes brutality and consequence, the one thing that AOS truly lacks.

Because I see 4x the population on 1/4 of the game map.

Because I spent ~12 years gaining wealth on said server to be competitive, and simply won't repeat that mistake.

And I here so much fire over getting pk'd, having a pet die, losing a weapon, or having your relics nerfed, and these same people say that AOS was bad? I've met players here in the last 2 months that are more "trammy" than most of the players on my old server.

the idea that veteran players in 2016 are inclined to quit because someone like me took 50 of each reg and 5k off your corpse is surprising.

I have been here since this server started. I was GM over a guild here for over two years.

I didn't quit because of getting pk d. :)

I anger logged off. ( Wanted to quit) Power guild had griefed me, with killing me, with a red, and my pets with a blue tamer, with no consequences to him of course.

Then later stealing our champ that we had worked on for hours , luring the boss off down a hall. just pushed me over the edge.

I don't care about loosing loots. I have lots to share. :)

Maybe I was just hormonal that day .. I don't know. I just resented that my pet takes such hard hits on skills, and that boss luring so many screens out of the champ area, so far away is ok.

Do you have a tamer with pets? It takes forever and is very expensive to achieve and maintain.
Where as a PVP toon can be made literally over night I hear. I dunno. I don't have one.

Either way. UO life goes on.

kolbycrouch

Master
I agree, your pets shouldn't be doomed to take a skill loss.

Actually I think the modern way of handling pets is the best.

You log out when you die.

Your pets log out.

The pk must deal with the monster instead of using your pets as tanks against that nasty paragon balron.

any pets past ~dragon level should have their "vs player" damage reduced to be a bit more reasonable.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I don't like responding to these types of threads much because usually there are no answers that will suit everyone 100%. I would like to clarify to @Owain Green (who stirred this back up again) what he commented on:

The point was with the skill resist & magery - not all skills. The mechanics are different for each skill. When it comes to resist, you do not need to have 100 skill to have effective spell damage reduction. So enforcing the notion that its GM or bust is not an accurate assumption. Magery is similar to resist. The magery skill is what gives you a success chance in casting a spell - as you have higher magery skill, you can cast higher circle spells more successfully. Pets cannot cast 8th circle spells, the highest they can cast is 7th circle (ie flamstrike). Pets also do not fizzle, so their casting mechanics are different than a player. Pets need to have the minimum magery for a given spell to begin casting that spell. So a pet with 66.1 (minimum skill for 7th circle) can cast flamestrike. So your pet does not need GM magery to blast 7th circle spells. Magery skill does go into the resistance formula, so higher magery equals less resisted spells, but only to a point.
Magery does effect spell damage formula for pets as well! Resist of target being equal.

Right? I mean it should. Pretty sure it's supposed to.

Last edited by a moderator:

MZ3K

Grandmaster

Yeah nobody would be here if it weren't for the risk. That's not the problem. It's un-fair consequences that bother people.Being able to permanently stat a tamer but not a pk is an example of unfair consequences that piss people off.

In any case, I'm not opposed to death being especially punitive for tamers. It's just weird that it's more punitive for tamers than it is for the players that seem to deserve the most punishment (murderers). That, and the fact that fixing pet stats is just time consuming and boring. Just give me the option to pay a fee - or have the stats revert back after a day or whatever. That's how PKs have it: they can pay 35k or suffer temporary stat loss. Seems to me that everyone else should have it as least as good as the murderers do.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
any pets past ~dragon level should have their "vs player" damage reduced to be a bit more reasonable.

The death beetle is the only animal more powerful than a dragon that doesn't have its damaged nerfed against players. Are you talking about the death beetle exclusively?

That said, I'm not sure how you reconcile that with

rulesets that completely separated PvM and PvP. Then again, if you wanted that, why play UO?

In any case, I totally agree. The rules continue to evolve toward separation of PvM and PvP. Each change in that direction weakens the reasons to play UO in 2016.

Popcanc

Novice
I remember when pets gained skill at a reasonable rate like other toons and could actually have a 7x the dragon.... but for some crazy idea the game masters thought it was a good idea to reduce the gains by about -500% .... low blow to a tamer that spent months getting gm tame.

Popcanc

Novice
Tamers take/took a heck of a long time to level !

Strange that the game masters didnant take that into account when they go nerfzies on em.

Bromista

Grandmaster
"Since u went ahead and wrote this much I guess I should actually offer a solution as well. Flip it. 5k to res non faction non red pets and if in a faction you take skill loss.
This would result in people having to leave their Rda champ etc to res or take a hit to skills and would make 7x pets a high value for pvp. You also get risk reward balance in skill gain for factions versus dieing while in factions."
- @TheFallen

Simple. Use pets for PvP you take skill loss when they die because PvP is where pet skill matters most. Use pets for PvM you give a little bit of that gold back to snag a res from town/stablemasters (you go back to town 90% of the time to res and heal up anyway don't you?) and don't take skill loss.

I would kill to be able to never worry about stat loss if all I had to do was gate my dragon to get it resurrected for 5k.

It makes too much sense.

@eppy wtf

lollo

Grandmaster
"Since u went ahead and wrote this much I guess I should actually offer a solution as well. Flip it. 5k to res non faction non red pets and if in a faction you take skill loss.
This would result in people having to leave their Rda champ etc to res or take a hit to skills and would make 7x pets a high value for pvp. You also get risk reward balance in skill gain for factions versus dieing while in factions."
- @TheFallen

Simple. Use pets for PvP you take skill loss when they die because PvP is where pet skill matters most. Use pets for PvM you give a little bit of that gold back to snag a res from town/stablemasters (you go back to town 90% of the time to res and heal up anyway don't you?) and don't take skill loss.

I would kill to be able to never worry about stat loss if all I had to do was gate my dragon to get it resurrected for 5k.

It makes too much sense.

@eppy wtf

Am i the only one who doesn't care AT ALL when my meta dies? Those 2 mil rollovers where the best thing ever.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I mean I really don't care when my meta dies either because of the rollovers but the whole thing is really silly when you really think about it and just backwards for keeping pets out of PvP.

But things are a little different for lvl 7 meta dragons obviously. Still have the matter of all other pets that would benefit, chief of which being meta steeds.

lollo

Grandmaster
I mean I really don't care when my meta dies either because of the rollovers but the whole thing is really silly when you really think about it and just backwards for keeping pets out of PvP.

But things are a little different for lvl 7 meta dragons obviously. Still have the matter of all other pets that would benefit, chief of which being meta steeds.

Meta steeds wouldn't have the problem either if they reduced the needed xp to 500k

Anyways yeah, faction pets should have stat loss

I remember when pets gained skill at a reasonable rate like other toons and could actually have a 7x the dragon.... but for some crazy idea the game masters thought it was a good idea to reduce the gains by about -500% .... low blow to a tamer that spent months getting gm tame.
Who said everyone should have a 7x pet? What does GM+ taming skill have to do with pet skill gain? Think cause you spent a good number of hours making your character that having a boss pet should be easy to acquire?

Compared to where I came from, pets are stupid easy to 7x here. I have no clue what you are complaining about.

So one of the things many people here said is that faction pets are way slower than non faction pets, now that they all have the same speed, can we non faction players please get the same treatment and be able to pay 5k to not get skill loss?

@halygon

Status
Not open for further replies.