Pet skill loss is impossible to work with.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinder

Master
Ok.. so I have been attempting to keep my pets skills up.

I have been so careful to work them attempting to gain any losses that I get from getting pk d or from taking on more spawn then my pets can handle.

It can not be done.

I train pets for hours.

I buy up scrolls.

This isn't fun any more guys. :(

One death undoes any gains and then some.

There are griefers who kill me and then promply kills my pets. (Thanks jenny jugs)

Resist and magery are set up for failure for pets.

Happy hunts all.. I hope the GM's can and will fix this for all of us tamers who only care to pvm.

just out of curiosity what do you think the gm's should do? I think killing dexxers 1v me and my pets is cake walk, unless its more than 1 ,2 or 3 can get tricky no doubt. I rarely ever die. I mean don't get me wrong I do die sometimes however usually I send any pks off running then I usually recall out before they can get back. at that point I bank my shit recall back at prepare to kick their ass. me and 1 no name tamer wiped 3 power dexxers the other day with absolutely no coms ( communication ), all they kept saying is " I cant wait for a paragon " lol. key to the whole thing is staying tight in a corner, all guard me,when they get close "all kill" set target closes red hot key on razor . ( mine personally is press middle mouse key ) you have provo if im not mistaken. which is even better for you. whatever your dragon is attacking provo it to kill them . if you don't have a recall macro I suggest you making one. I donno but imo pks by themelves just cant kill me on my tamer unless im watching a movie while farming or something or had to many beers and just fuck up. however the greifing is fucking shit, its sad that they don't just kill you and keep it moving, on the other hand greifing people can be fun if you learn to do it

Cinder

Master
When I started here, a few years back, when a pet died, it lost skills.
You could retrain them back up.
I ask that it go back to the way it was.
Only magery and resist skills are the ones that are impossible to retrain.
I have a panic key to recall with, and I have hot keys for all guard, all kill, I use all of these things.
I accept that I will die at times. I just find it hard to accept that I can not regain my pets skills back .

You are right, but so is she. Training any pet's Magery or resist is a painful job. I could care less about my pets now because it is pointless. You can spend 3hours training those two skills, they either die by mob or people and you lose more then what you gained in those hours.

How many solo pokers are really out there now? I do pretty well myself aswell but my room is now set up to do against reds until it is a Zerg. You are right, all guard works well, but if you don't have eval, resist or even wrestling, you better have a Provo script that Provos the closest mob to the gray or red humanoid while spamming all stop, all guard to make sure your pets get off the mob. Of course with practice (and being calm), staying alive long enough to recall against 2 reds is doable, but it would get difficult with more reds, especially the big groups that run through.

Tamers are more worried about their pets then their loot because of those two skills and the griefers know this. What's the best way to really stick it to someone and get your jollies off? Killing pets. Learned that a long time ago when $ was just running around killing everyone's pets.

tbh the places I farm seem to have more issues with 1 or 2 lonely pks than a group. then again I never stay in one spot to long. I bounce around big time. im also pretty decent at pvp but then again it might be because I just don't give a damn. if I die and my pets die I really don't care . I take this game for a grain of salt lately .

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Or join faction's pay 5k per death and never lose anything. UOF only punishes pvmers. We let our pvper tamers pet's die over and over with zero skill loss.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
So, please allow me to get my head around something.. Tamers spend 1-2 weeks training their char upto GM taming. After that, they spend another week bonding their pets or go out and buy a bonding deed. They, then have the best farming character known to the game. So, you farm for a while, recalling to spots, pushing other farmers out of the way because it is hard to compete with two wyrms etc and finally amass enough gold to buy a meta-pet.

When you have the meta-pet, you train it for a while, get relics for it and have quite possibly the best pet ever.. EVER... known on Ultima Online since the game was first released. Now that is out of the way, from what I believe and has no bearing on anyone else's opinion, there are a few ways to make it viable to run such a high maintenance pet :

The first would be as Malkraven has said, join factions. This way, your pet does not lose stats when it dies and only costs 5k per death. The bad side to this is you will most likely get ganked, especially if you are not PVP orientated.

The second idea would be to implement Trammel, no I am serious, these type of pets are obviously better suited to Trammel where the risk of dying is nearly none existent, however, we already know that this is not going to happen.

Thirdly, introduce temp stat-loss on pets. When a pet dies, stats are reduced for a set amount of time, this increases every time the pet dies : 1st death 15-20 minutes temporary statloss | 2nd death 40-45 minutes to a maximum of 1 hour. After that, the pet refuses to listen to the All Guard command and all Kill command until the cool down expires.

Another idea would be to reduce the damage on pets when attacked by players and maybe add a 'thorns' effect which does 5-10 damage to any player attacking the pet *bad idea, I know*

This is one of those things that I must admit, is very difficult to balance out and be accepted by everyone on the server. On the one hand, Meta-pets are really strong, on the other, they require some form negative outcome from owning them.

IF this shard required someone to pay monthly to use it, then things would be very, very different.

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
Keep in mind these pets are basically "End Game" for most people until they find something else to do. It comes to the point where anything could grasp that title even down to cooking. Know your limits or forever be stuck in the end game circle.

Lord_Puffy

Grandmaster
Ok.. so I have been attempting to keep my pets skills up.

I have been so careful to work them attempting to gain any losses that I get from getting pk d or from taking on more spawn then my pets can handle.

It can not be done.

I train pets for hours.

I buy up scrolls.

This isn't fun any more guys. :(

One death undoes any gains and then some.

There are griefers who kill me and then promply kills my pets. (Thanks jenny jugs)

Resist and magery are set up for failure for pets.

Happy hunts all.. I hope the GM's can and will fix this for all of us tamers who only care to pvm.

Joining factions is always an option for now, and pay 5k w no skill loss for pet ress.

Easy Cheese

Grandmaster
After that, the pet refuses to listen to the All Guard command and all Kill command until the cool down expires.

This technically happens when in factions due to temporary skill loss, which forces you to use a pokeball charge.

The only way to combat pet skill loss, is to either join factions and pay the 5k per pet, pet res, or buy a ton of magery, resist and poisoning skill scrolls.

lapj

Journeyman
How much skill loss does a pet receive? I remember vaguely reading somewhere it use to be 1 point and then changed to 1% or is it vice versa? or none of that? and whats the max magery/resist on a pet until you can't raise it anymore?

Darkarna

Grandmaster
This technically happens when in factions due to temporary skill loss, which forces you to use a pokeball charge.

The only way to combat pet skill loss, is to either join factions and pay the 5k per pet, pet res, or buy a ton of magery, resist and poisoning skill scrolls.

Maybe this should apply to non faction players then but with a greater increase in cost to resurrect the pet. Surely it must be cheaper than skill scrolls *Can't believe I am trying to help tamers here.. Must be going soft..*

Easy Cheese

Grandmaster
Maybe this should apply to non faction players then but with a greater increase in cost to resurrect the pet. Surely it must be cheaper than skill scrolls *Can't believe I am trying to help tamers here.. Must be going soft..*

Love this idea. Add a gold sink vendor that will res non-factioner pets for 40-50k.

How much skill loss does a pet receive? I remember vaguely reading somewhere it use to be 1 point and then changed to 1% or is it vice versa? or none of that? and whats the max magery/resist on a pet until you can't raise it anymore?

Max magery/resist depend on the pet, or lvl of meta. As far as skill loss, I believe it is still 1 full point. *correction it is 1%.

Last edited by a moderator:

God.RG

Grandmaster
just out of curiosity what do you think the gm's should do? I think killing dexxers 1v me and my pets is cake walk, unless its more than 1 ,2 or 3 can get tricky no doubt. I rarely ever die. I mean don't get me wrong I do die sometimes however usually I send any pks off running then I usually recall out before they can get back. at that point I bank my shit recall back at prepare to kick their ass. me and 1 no name tamer wiped 3 power dexxers the other day with absolutely no coms ( communication ), all they kept saying is " I cant wait for a paragon " lol. key to the whole thing is staying tight in a corner, all guard me,when they get close "all kill" set target closes red hot key on razor . ( mine personally is press middle mouse key ) you have provo if im not mistaken. which is even better for you. whatever your dragon is attacking provo it to kill them . if you don't have a recall macro I suggest you making one. I donno but imo pks by themelves just cant kill me on my tamer unless im watching a movie while farming or something or had to many beers and just fuck up. however the greifing is fucking shit, its sad that they don't just kill you and keep it moving, on the other hand greifing people can be fun if you learn to do it
I would love to see the screenshots of the "3" power dexxers you killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.