IDOC changes are awesome

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
True story - i found 5 yards of vesper cloth on a wandering mob last weekend , that otherwise would of been ninja looted asap when the house fell.

khajja

Master
i'm reading conflicting thoughts here:

1) idocs make people rich
2) add motm mobs as a greater incentive for people to idoc

if 1) is true, 2) is not needed

Xiulan

Master
except the options are kind of limited.. I didnt' like just the Ettins, nor do I like the new mobs - there really needs to be an option for meeting somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, I kept it to the three main perspectives I was hearing people express. But feel free to write in whatever you would have voted for if it had been an option.

For my part, I voted for "liked the ettins" although I did think somewhat stronger mobs would have been more ideal. Wish we could have tried out incremental changes rather than swinging to the opposite extreme.

Jon M

Neophyte
I haven’t attended vey many IDOCs thus far since the change happened and I don’t like it at all. It turns the server more towards tamers. This pushes the server toward ‘one tamer to do it all’.

I was doing solo IDOCs with a thief/mage because it was fun winning against the big guilds. An IDOC for me(against the big guilds) was surviving 8 faction reds ebolt railing the IDOC clean then holding it for the 5 min until it dropped. A huge win for a low cost toon would be getting one or two items and getting out alive. The rich got richer based on guild size and co-ordination not if you have a 15mil meta. I’ve done a lot of IDOCs(either watching for weeks getting the timer, attending, the NPC and hearing through the grapevine) before the change and rarely seen a tamer. Now I can’t go to an IDOC on my defence dexxer and get anything heavy. There are a few problems if you want to IDOC with a non magery toon. I become overweight, I can’t power-gate items out, equipment is costly, which slayer weapon(or armour) to bring and victim to pvp(redsor blues once they see my gear). Plus I need to survive the mobs then attempt to place.

I don’t think we see 100% of the items fall. I don’t see 100’s items land onto the 20 mobs. So I know items disappear. I would hate them to be high ticket items like butlers, rare deco that’s deed based etc. This makes me question that the mob IDOCs have other intentions rather than and ‘event style’ IDOC. I do like the event IDOCs just not every time once a week is enough and should be announced.

As far as the NPC… Keep him. For those who time a drop for weeks great. For those who are willing to wait 6 hours after paying the fee feel free, you deserve it IMO. Plus I’ve been at IDOCs and visited the NPC and he said nothing was IDOCing, so he doesn’t give all IDOCs out.

Mobs getting IDOC loot is cool. There was nothing like (yet anyways) coming back to uo after years of being away and killing a mongbat(non IDOC loot) and getting a rare mongbat statue which boosted my bank roll. I now focus more time on ettins and other low end mobs for that chance. There could be a PS, relic, rares or anything on the next ettin you kill. Everyone likes a hard to believe story so for that reason I like the Mobs getting loot. Maybe have a small percentage of the IDOC loot fall onto the mobs randomly throughout UO, not just the IDOC area. You’ll see way more people running around randomly, which engages other UO gameplay mechanics.

IMO take it or leave it.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
From feedback:

Ettins on drops getting the loot : GOOD
HIgher end mobs getting the loot on drops: NOT SO GOOD
(shockingly) Many people prefer a percentage of the loot get deleted : GOOD
Pretty much everyone is in favor of a percentage of the loot being equally spawned on creatures around the entire world randomly: AWESOME

So...
We are going to have a percentage of the loot fall on ettins when a house falls, a percentage that gets deleted, and a MAJOR percentage that gets distributed through out the over world spawn.

This sounds good to us, and i'm VERY pleased with this out come. All the items that go within these percentages are totally random. I'm thinking like 10% gets deleted, 40% stays at the drop / fallen house on ettin loot, and 50% gets distributed throughout the world spawn.

Thoughts?

From feedback:

Pretty much everyone is in favor of a percentage of the loot being equally spawned on creatures around the entire world randomly: AWESOME

So...
We are going to have a percentage of the loot fall on ettins when a house falls, a percentage that gets deleted, and a MAJOR percentage that gets distributed through out the over world spawn.

This sounds good to us, and i'm VERY pleased with this out come. All the items that go within these percentages are totally random. I'm thinking like 10% gets deleted, 40% stays at the drop / fallen house on ettin loot, and 50% gets distributed throughout the world spawn.

Thoughts?
delete it all... idocs suck

Heavy

Apprentice
Delete this stupid NPC.
U wanna idoc? - Spend your time and search this houses, check their status.
This is Ultima, not babysitting game =)

From feedback:

So...

Thoughts?

Hmm, not bad but I would be willing to bet that over 90% of the people voting for deletion have loads of stuff and simply want more value to there current items.. I have said it since i started here, there is more chance nobody finds an IDOC and items getting deleted after spawn despawns if you get rid of the IDOC NPC.. there are only a small amount of people that actually take the time to search for them. Even a 10% deletion could mean the difference between decent loot and a complete waste of time.. you want people to explore more? delete the npc..

vagelisv

Grandmaster
I love the change in idocs! Gives players a reason to farm more and randomly getting drops!

My feedback is that maybe percentages need to mix a bit, so that some people still remain at the idoc hunt, cause some love it.

Maybe 10% lost, 60% on ettins and 30% overland would be better. That's my two cents.

Jon M

Neophyte
From feedback:

So...

Thoughts?
Good change as some of the best changes happen with incremental changes not flipping 180'. If it doesn't appease the people then a small change could create a happy crowd and thus a busy server.

Cash is King

Grandmaster
@Shane I like the proposal although personally don't like items getting deleted. If deletion is a must, 10% is reasonable.

In the August updates you mentioned MOTM being part of idoc spawn - I hope that stays true and maybe split the idoc spawn 50/50 ettins/MOTM?

DeFalcs

Neophyte
I like the plan. Having some loot go to overworld spawn will make it fun to randomly get some sweet loot one wouldn't expect otherwise. Also, deleting some of the loot seems reasonable. As the shard continues in age more and more content/gold arrives, this may help curb inflation?

khajja

Master
i'm reading conflicting thoughts here:

1) idocs make people rich
2) add motm mobs as a greater incentive for people to idoc

if 1) is true, 2) is not needed

again, why do we need motm mobs if idocs are already easy money?

i'm all for some degree of item deletion and think up to 30% would be fine. i think under 50% falling at the idoc would be fairly discouraging. and if it's not at the idoc, the idocer shouldn't really care whether its overland or deleted. So i would say 50% at idoc and tweak the remaining 50% between delete/overland as desired (but starting at 25/25 seems reasonable)