A Possible Solution to The Problem of PvP

Bromista

Grandmaster
Individual and group events satisfy many needs and provide opportunity to rank up in as meaningful or as meaningless a way as the player chooses to engage in so long as a fair balance and scoring system is in place.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Leave the goofy militia system, polish events/eventscore to be meaningful again, host battles nights, actually monitor them and fix issues (easier to do in short, controlled bursts)

Now you can have PvP on a level playing field. Restrict gear, don't restrict gear, do whatever. Modular and customizable PvP scenarios have great potential that has been overlooked for far too long IMO.
Although I don't disagree, some of that necessitates that someone from the staff be involved. It would definitely spike participation during those events, but things would return to normal without them.

What's the overwhelming downside to incentivizing free-flowing, structured PvP (like militias, O/C, etc.)

Bromista

Grandmaster
There isn't and that could use work too. I'm with you on that.

But what you do get with a battles system with some form of regularity will also spill over into "back to normal" time. With a psuedo league, so to speak, you'll get more people partnering up, guilding, scrimmaging, etc.

Sure it would take staff time and effort but I see some potential here or I wouldn't be babbling. We saw what happened when they introduced the idea of CTFL and why it never left the ground. I'm not talking just CTF though, do it up right this time to prevent sheer dominance/team stacking and include a variety of team and FFa. Don't make it grossly rewarding (important no matter how you want to give incentive to PvP) and don't stray too far from the ideas already in place on UO Forever. Just spitshine 'em a little.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I guess what I'm saying in a nutshell is leave the rewards for a system. It's the best case scenario if staff is going to invest time and effort into a situation that needs monitoring considering the size of staff here.

Abuse has been a hot topic and I truly think that's your best work around.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
There isn't and that could use work too. I'm with you on that.

But what you do get with a battles system with some form of regularity will also spill over into "back to normal" time. With a psuedo league, so to speak, you'll get more people partnering up, guilding, scrimmaging, etc.

Sure it would take staff time and effort but I see some potential here or I wouldn't be babbling. We saw what happened when they introduced the idea of CTFL and why it never left the ground. I'm not talking just CTF though, do it up right this time to prevent sheer dominance/team stacking and include a variety of team and FFa. Don't make it grossly rewarding (important no matter how you want to give incentive to PvP) and don't stray too far from the ideas already in place on UO Forever. Just spitshine 'em a little.
I can see it. I think staff-related events would absolutely spike with a spike in overall players on UOF.

I think we can all agree that militias probably aren't going anywhere. In my opinion, finding a way of combining these suggestions (add increased incentive to participating effectively in militias and host more group events) would provide a huge spike in PvP, and in UOF as a whole.

Bromista

Grandmaster
People do still play events for fun but overall they are not as populated as they used to be...unless staff fires off several and announce them in disco.

More of that is always welcome but pixels are welcome as well!

account51

Master
Create a pvp arena outside Delucia, holds some events. You could open it up each night or week or whatever works bests. Allow weekly or monthly rule changes or event specific rules. Allow bolas, allow wands, runics only, no potions, no mounts, etc. We could start slow with small situational battles like a system that you have to have a group of (4) to exit town. You can only cast beneficial spells on your group and cant target them with negative spells. Incentive could be a weekly or monthly statue spawn in the town or something. This could get people to pvp.

De Medici

Grandmaster
Why can't killing another person or killing a red and stating them be enough incentive?

Well, if thats all you want why introducing militia in the first place? You could fight blue vs blue in faction.

Why the faction system of jamiez/adam was better?

Firstly, you had a personal score in faction which was way better. (Showscore/punkte)

Secondly, solo players could group up with other solo players.

Thirdly, you had more incentives. Cool looking ethereal mounts etc.

Fourthly, massive wars for the sigils.

Fifthly, the rewards were personal and not guild bound. If you get bounty other players of the guild can spend it, which can lead to problems and lowers the incentive.

#bringbackfactions

girana

Grandmaster
Well, if thats all you want why introducing militia in the first place? You could fight blue vs blue in faction.

Why the faction system of jamiez/adam was better?

Firstly, you had a personal score in faction which was way better. (Showscore/punkte)

Secondly, solo players could group up with other solo players.

Thirdly, you had more incentives. Cool looking ethereal mounts etc.

Fourthly, massive wars for the sigils.

Fifthly, the rewards were personal and not guild bound. If you get bounty other players of the guild can spend it, which can lead to problems and lowers the incentive.

#bringbackfactions

faction wasnt better it was super broken ton of exploits and a total fuck up code.

.why was

girana

Grandmaster
no edit + fatfinger suxx

faction wasnt better it was super broken ton of exploits and a total fuck up code.

1)Whats your problem with militia score ? you dont like noobs in your zerg using up "your points" ?? lawl dont play in a big zerg.
or you miss the punkte/showscore command ? just pm it to eppy the only reason militia dont have it is that eppy dont know it ever exist in factions.

2) Its even more easy to group up in militias for solo players

3) not true you mixing up stuff but if want stuff like militiaethys just come up with reasonable cost + durations and eppy will add them

4) there were never sigils wars on uof.
in 4 years there were total 4 fights each last less than 10min for sigils.

5) thats the point of militias. Eppy want these "zerg guild problems" to happen so ppl play in less big guilds.

De Medici

Grandmaster
Well, I just realised that the sentence "Why the faction system of jamiez/adam was better?" could come accross disrespectful. I really appreciate Eppys work as well as the other staff members.

I was just a big fan of the faction system.

toddyboi

Master
no edit + fatfinger suxx

1)Whats your problem with militia score ? you dont like noobs in your zerg using up "your points" ?? lawl dont play in a big zerg.
or you miss the punkte/showscore command ? just pm it to eppy the only reason militia dont have it is that eppy dont know it ever exist in factions.

3) not true you mixing up stuff but if want stuff like militiaethys just come up with reasonable cost + durations and eppy will add them

5) thats the point of militias. Eppy want these "zerg guild problems" to happen so ppl play in less big guilds.
How the fuck would you know? You spent 90% of your faction career hiding in the no cut house while your team were getting slaughtered.

account51

Master
no edit + fatfinger suxx

Factions was better that militia, please define specifically how it was broken and full of exploits and a total fuck up.

Just compare shear content, whether it is effective or not, by eliminating factions we lost a ton of content that was primarily specific to pvp.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Which isn't saying much, considering how little happens elsewhere.

It's the direction of the game plain and simple. People will fight over what matters,

A big problem with the ageing UO PVP is, as people get older, their tolerance for the shit talk and people constantly needing to measure the size their dicks gets old fast.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Want more PVP and incentives to go with it… reduce the timers on champ spawns and dungeon bosses. Some of the best PVP happens @ those locations.

I personally don't think that's where the best PvP should be happening. Increasing the quantity of champ spawns just puts more scrolls and other things into circulation, that doesn't help an economy. It also devalues the champ perk, as well as makes it less likely a champ spawn will go un-noticed because people start cycling the champs back to back with very little downtime depending on how long the timer is. Making it less likely that smaller guilds will be able to do them. (that's subjective of course, because more champs means that the bigger guilds may get bored of them, hard to say)

There is a consensual playground (Militias), with objectives (capture points), that would actually work if there were more capture points, more reason to capture them. That's really where you should be aiming for more PvP - the competitive type, not the blue/red often times toxic type.. I say often times because there are plenty of blue/red engagements where both sides end up satisfied.

De Medici

Grandmaster
I personally don't think that's where the best PvP should be happening. Increasing the quantity of champ spawns just puts more scrolls and other things into circulation, that doesn't help an economy. It also devalues the champ perk, as well as makes it less likely a champ spawn will go un-noticed because people start cycling the champs back to back with very little downtime depending on how long the timer is. Making it less likely that smaller guilds will be able to do them. (that's subjective of course, because more champs means that the bigger guilds may get bored of them, hard to say)

There is a consensual playground (Militias), with objectives (capture points), that would actually work if there were more capture points, more reason to capture them. That's really where you should be aiming for more PvP - the competitive type, not the blue/red often times toxic type.. I say often times because there are plenty of blue/red engagements where both sides end up satisfied.

Well thats a question of priorities. From the perspectiv of the staff the economy has the highest priority (price stability) with eppy being the federal reserve boss.

They let incentive small ( rewards for capturing the capture points) to protect the economy. You could also make reags (almost) for free instead of 1gp cheaper since it doesnt last very long and you will not be able to buy a lot during that time.

The consequences of rewards for the economy are very difficult to anticipate. I know that because I am economist.

If staff is unsure they decide for the economy. Thats why rewards are so little that no one bothers.

drasked

Grandmaster
Factions was better that militia, please define specifically how it was broken and full of exploits and a total fuck up.

Just compare shear content, whether it is effective or not, by eliminating factions we lost a ton of content that was primarily specific to pvp.

Maybe you guys have too much nostalgia in you, but factions sucked hard. It was just a system were people would pvp consensually and militia does a lot better job at this and is only getting better.

Did you guys really do sigils? No.