A Possible Solution to The Problem of PvP

Winstonian

Grandmaster
I guess I just don't understand.

No player that has invested time/money/energy into UOF should want to watch it slowly fall apart. If we're being honest, I don't think one can honestly say that UOF is thriving, or that it's as active as they'd like. I recall a time where it seemed like UOF was packed. It doesn't feel like that now.

PvM is great. There will always be those players that play on UOF for the PvM. The issue is that UOF will only grow through PvP. And, through PvP, UOF could blossom. Just not like this.

The PvP mechanics here appeal to the few, and there is absolutely no incentive for the "casual player" to join in. Until one (or both) of those things change, interest in UOF will continue to slow. It's a shame, because this shard is beautiful otherwise.

Lexington

Grandmaster

No player that has invested time/money/energy into UOF should want to watch it slowly fall apart. If we're being honest, I don't think one can honestly say that UOF is thriving, or that it's as active as they'd like. I recall a time where it seemed like UOF was packed. It doesn't feel like that now.

PvM is great. There will always be those players that play on UOF for the PvM. The issue is that UOF will only grow through PvP. And, through PvP, UOF could blossom. Just not like this.

The PvP mechanics here appeal to the few, and there is absolutely no incentive for the "casual player" to join in. Until one (or both) of those things change, interest in UOF will continue to slow. It's a shame, because this shard is beautiful otherwise.

When is the last time you went to an Arch, Akor or Deceit boss spawn? The damn things are packed! UOF is not slowing down the big action just isn't at the WB bridge anymore. Players are involving past bridge PVP. Want action go out and find it... it's there!

Lexington

Grandmaster
When is the last time you went to an Arch, Akor or Deceit boss spawn? The damn things are packed! UOF is not slowing down the big action just isn't at the WB bridge anymore. Players are involving past bridge PVP. Want action go out and find it... it's there!

evolving* :p not sure why I can't edit in this form?

Winstonian

Grandmaster
I see the exact opposite. Ever since the removal of the purple cancer, pvp has been slowly recovering to the point where 3-4 way militia fights are now a daily thing.
That's not really my point though. Having militia fights "daily" doesn't come anywhere close to the UO of old, where fighting was constant. That should be the goal. For that to happen, PvP needs to appeal to all players the way it used to, not just the few.

Lexington

Grandmaster
That's not really my point though. Having militia fights "daily" doesn't come anywhere close to the UO of old, where fighting was constant. That should be the goal. For that to happen, PvP needs to appeal to all players the way it used to, not just the few.

Which UO of old are you talking... 2013 UOF or 1997 - 05 UO?

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Well, I tend to think of 97-00 UO when thinking about how high we should aim. From what I've seen, everything on UOF had been down significantly from where it was a year ago.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Well, I tend to think of 97-00 UO when thinking about how high we should aim. From what I've seen, everything on UOF had been down significantly from where it was a year ago.

Me too... but without the hundreds of thousands of active players... it's impossible to get to those levels again.

drasked

Grandmaster

I'm not saying daily fights, if you are properly in the loop you can have non-stop pvp on UOF.

I'm talking about 3 or 4 way fights, where there are multiple crews fighting at the same time, all close to 10 per group, without a single objective other than killing eachother. In the 3 years i have been pvping on this shard ive never seen it like that.

I'm always down for improving things and getting more people involved. But so far i have only seen false statements and bad suggestions from you. So you are either out of the loop or trolling.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
I mean, or my opinion differs from yours. You know, that too.

And that's also sort of my point. The PvP style here caters to one type of player. It's not the way UO always was, and the reason why a lot of people either dont participate, or leave the shard outright.

If you're satisfied with the activity on UOF... satisfied with the number of players on and actively participating in PvP... so be it. I don't think it's anywhere close to where it could/should be.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I couldn't imagine being a PvP type and logging in kinda just hoping for a militia fight or two for the day.

Instanced PvP = guaranteed PvP

Lexington

Grandmaster
I mean, or my opinion differs from yours. You know, that too.

And that's also sort of my point. The PvP style here caters to one type of player. It's not the way UO always was, and the reason why a lot of people either dont participate, or leave the shard outright.

If you're satisfied with the activity on UOF... satisfied with the number of players on and actively participating in PvP... so be it. I don't think it's anywhere close to where it could/should be.

PVP will never be like it was... you can't go back to the ICQ days. The majority consensual of PVP now a days very well organized. In 2018 everyone has voice and the assistant programs are way more advanced. That's the reason most of the casual players don't participate.

drasked

Grandmaster
The PvP style here caters to one type of player.

Could you be more specific?

Like i said, im always down for improving things. But the notion of pvp dying out is just false at this moment. Changing the current scoring system to a scoring system based on damage done and then attaching nice rewards to it is recipe for disaster.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
PVP will never be like it was... you can't go back to the ICQ days. The majority consensual of PVP now a days very well organized. In 2018 everyone has voice and the assistant programs are way more advanced. That's the reason most of the casual players don't participate.
Exactly. Finding a way to get the casual players into PvP is the ultimate key to shard growth, and it wouldn't be hard to do.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Could you be more specific?

Like i said, im always down for improving things. But the notion of pvp dying out is just false at this moment. Changing the current scoring system to a scoring system based on damage done and then attaching nice rewards to it is recipe for disaster.
PvP on UOF consists of groups of players throwing potions. There is no middle ground. Any even fight turns into a track meet. The lack of build diversity and overall PvP mechanics are so painful, and it's no question why a large percentage of the players here have no interest in joining in.

drasked

Grandmaster
PvP on UOF consists of groups of players throwing potions. There is no middle ground. Any even fight turns into a track meet. The lack of build diversity and overall PvP mechanics are so painful, and it's no question why a large percentage of the players here have no interest in joining in.

I don't really see a problem with explo pots, everyone and any template can and should use them, just like they should use every other tool in the book, heal pots, cure pots, trapped pouches, a mount and the list goes on. If you gimp yourself out of these tools you will have a bad time.

Sure movement is important in UO pvp, but i wouldn't go as far as calling it a track meet, what guild did you run with where this was a problem? Not exactly sure what you mean by lack of build diversity but i have multiple builds i like to use and are fully viable in group pvp.

What exact pvp mechanics are so painful to you other than explo potions?

girana

Grandmaster

comparing 97-00 with 2018

lol thats 2 diffrent games.

not sure what you seeing but daily user numbers in uof are up by ~30% over the last year. Some Timezones more some less but just the Asiatimezone is up by like 1000%.

toddyboi

Master

Pretty obvious from this post you have no idea about the PvP here on uof. Sounds like you're looking for the old PvP days which you can replicate in a duel pit. Why should everyone else have to dumb down to your standards?

Winstonian

Grandmaster
I don't really see a problem with explo pots, everyone and any template can and should use them, just like they should use every other tool in the book, heal pots, cure pots, trapped pouches, a mount and the list goes on. If you gimp yourself out of these tools you will have a bad time.

Sure movement is important in UO pvp, but i wouldn't go as far as calling it a track meet, what guild did you run with where this was a problem? Not exactly sure what you mean by lack of build diversity but i have multiple builds i like to use and are fully viable in group pvp.

What exact pvp mechanics are so painful to you other than explo potions?
Out of everything you listed, none of them require additional skills to use, and all of them were used on OSI... besides expl potions. But why not reduce the taming requirement and give everyone pet dragons for PvP? Give hiding a 100% success chance with 0 skill? Lets unlock every possible mechanic for PvP, because, you know, why gimp yourself?

And that's my point exactly: the PvP mechanics are poor, leading to very little build diversity. If you don't throw pots, you will never compete. If you aren't interested in chasing someone for 5+ minutes, you'll realize how pointless PvP is. Any system that reduces a game like this to one primary build, one style of play and minimal actual fighting is a waste.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Pretty obvious from this post you have no idea about the PvP here on uof. Sounds like you're looking for the old PvP days which you can replicate in a duel pit. Why should everyone else have to dumb down to your standards?
Just because I'm looking for a vastly better PvP system doesn't mean I have "no idea about the PvP here", but I love that common PvPers nonsense. "If you don't like it, you are obviously clueless".

But, fine. If you don't want to "dumb PvP down", then you should be all of expanding it, right? Give everyone a dragon. Don't like that idea? Well, stop dumbing PvP down. In reality, dumbing PvP down is really what we have here, a system where one playstyle is clear-cut better than the rest. It shouldn't be that way.