What's the point of head buy back?

Janesworld

Apprentice
Oh dear.

Carebear having a tantrum?

In modern UO everybody dies.

This isnt 1998 where there was no stun, no skype co-ordinated gank squads with runes marked everywhere, no instant target macros enabling a monkey to hit spells and most players running 400 to 500 skill points in bone ar off mount.

The game has evolved tremendously and as such everybody dies. Thus the whole argument of perma stat back in the day is completely irrelevant to the current game.

It is apparent you are cattle that wants to graze in the finest pastures with 0 risk.

My advice is learn the game before running your mouth on mechanics to suit your playstyle that barely scratches this sand box game.

When im pvming on my tamer i welcome a solo pk. Sure, the weaker/epeen affected ones roll in packs, but if i die i lose nothing or i recall off. Pet statloss is irrelevant and i don't get taken out of the game for 2 days or lose a 30k weapon.

We can't all play 3 button dex monkeys with a use dagger attack closest red/blue/gray humanoid, 30k weapon with an explo pot.( lol 30k and I'm the poor one )

Don't forget about ur 2nd char you use to reverse gate loot out because it might be too risky to be attacked. Could lose a 30k weapon n be unable to play that char for 2 days. Lol

As I said before pks rarely roll solo. I just think it's funny anytime someone suggests something to balance out an abused mechanic, we hear the get good, u just want zero risk. Yet you die to a single stun sometimes?

The proposed changes in my posts seem as extremely unbalanced as the current system is.

But hey I'm the one who wants easy street zero risk pking. 9 times out of 10 your preying on people who aren't a challenge, want nothing to do with pvp and are solo! Lol! Seriously does it make ur E vag feel good having to pick on the bottom of the barrel to compete.

Let me guess your not one of those dexxer pks that has to use a defense tali to compete are you? How much more help do you need?

@baseball dad can you let me know if your one of the weaker pks that use said crutch. I already know you use automated macros to target/attack people rather than manually pulling their bar and manually attacking. How is that any different from the things you've been posting about for years?

jkg8787

Master
I solo PK all the time. I run into lots of solo PKs.

Also I regularly escape from 1v2, 1v3, 1v4, 1v5 etc. Not saying I've never been ganked and killed but...

Streets

Grandmaster
I solo PK all the time. I run into lots of solo PKs.

Also I regularly escape from 1v2, 1v3, 1v4, 1v5 etc. Not saying I've never been ganked and killed but...

JKG this is not a negative statement (actually a complement) but based off your forum activity and conversations I have had with you, I would say you are far from the typical murderer.

Most comments use general guidelines as 'most pk's" or reds "usually" do xxx. There are always exceptions in any circumstances.

But we are talking about those who do fall into the general demographic here when discussing red/murderer behavior.

Let's face it, in all aspects of the game we have abusers. From rda's only letting one account in at a time (a public warning was issued) to arch deamon room having a sign about ghosting and being removed, to needing to remind players of blocking rules. People by nature (much like water and electricity) want a path of least resistance. The problem is balance.

jkg8787

Master
JKG this is not a negative statement (actually a complement) but based off your forum activity and conversations I have had with you, I would say you are far from the typical murderer.

Most comments use general guidelines as 'most pk's" or reds "usually" do xxx. There are always exceptions in any circumstances.

But we are talking about those who do fall into the general demographic here when discussing red/murderer behavior.

Let's face it, in all aspects of the game we have abusers. From rda's only letting one account in at a time (a public warning was issued) to arch deamon room having a sign about ghosting and being removed, to needing to remind players of blocking rules. People by nature (much like water and electricity) want a path of least resistance. The problem is balance.
I'm all for discussion, but I truly believe this is a vocal minority of players.

I guess im just slightly frustrated (lol) because the things people say tend to be so wildly opposite of my experience.

I get that my anecdotal evidence isnt a universal experience, but the same principle applies to people who take issues with PKing or game mechanics surrounding PKing.

I am no PvP god. In fact I'm pretty rusty. I'd say I'm better at surviving the other players attacks than I am at attacking other players.

I struggle with wording things properly because I ddont want to be an elitist dick. I want to be constructive, but I find most complaints simply come from "bad" players as harsh as that is (as stated earlier not singling you out, Im trying to speak to a general audience).

Yesterday I killed 3 reds 1v1, PKed solo plenty, faught a few 1v1s on a blue (that were stalemates), escaped 2 zergs (one in Despise, one RANDOMLY IN MIDDLE OF WOODS while i was 1v1ing another Red suddenly 6 factioners appeared). My only deaths came from a butthurt blue I murdered who managed to sneak in my doors and kill me when I was afk (kinda pissed but I give the dude credit for getting me, although I thought it was pretty lame that he essentially was so mad about dying 1v1 that he had to kill me afk to get revenge). (What a jerk! I had to get rid of my aesthetic doors and put ugly teleporters in to prevent that happening more)

To me that was an incredible day full of tons of great battles and heart pounding adventure. I was on all sides, dexer, mage, red, blue. To me everything is working EXACTLY as it should be and my PvP experience was amazing.

I guess ill bow out before I end up getting further triggered and moving into full-on "just get good" territory.

But really this is UO. Its always been a game where leaving town could mean you die at any moment. My first memory of UO a little after it launched as like a 11-12 year old was leaving town and dying to a red in one spell.

I just think people either need to brush up on their survival skills or simply just "get used to it". But again, I'm just one person.

Last edited:
We can't all play 3 button dex monkeys with a use dagger attack closest red/blue/gray humanoid, 30k weapon with an explo pot.( lol 30k and I'm the poor one )

Don't forget about ur 2nd char you use to reverse gate loot out because it might be too risky to be attacked. Could lose a 30k weapon n be unable to play that char for 2 days. Lol

As I said before pks rarely roll solo. I just think it's funny anytime someone suggests something to balance out an abused mechanic, we hear the get good, u just want zero risk. Yet you die to a single stun sometimes?

The proposed changes in my posts seem as extremely unbalanced as the current system is.

But hey I'm the one who wants easy street zero risk pking. 9 times out of 10 your preying on people who aren't a challenge, want nothing to do with pvp and are solo! Lol! Seriously does it make ur E vag feel good having to pick on the bottom of the barrel to compete.

Let me guess your not one of those dexxer pks that has to use a defense tali to compete are you? How much more help do you need?

@baseball dad can you let me know if your one of the weaker pks that use said crutch. I already know you use automated macros to target/attack people rather than manually pulling their bar and manually attacking. How is that any different from the things you've been posting about for years?

To put quite simply, im one of those boss solo pks that takes down your tamer, your blue pvp toon, and makes you buy a new monitor with the associated rage.

I'm getting a strong feeling that you're one of those blue ebolt closest gank mages that can't navigate spawn or watch his surroundings so places blame on his 1v3-5 death to a def talisman or "noob dexer" as favourite scapegoats for your apparent short comings.

Get better bro.

jkg8787

Master
To put quite simply, im one of those boss solo pks that takes down your tamer, your blue pvp toon, and makes you buy a new monitor with the associated rage.

I'm getting a strong feeling that you're one of those blue ebolt closest gank mages that can't navigate spawn or watch his surroundings so places blame on his 1v3-5 death to a def talisman or "noob dexer" as favourite scapegoats for your apparent short comings.

Get better bro.
lol....

kinda not related to anything but i just was thinking about idea i had the other day which is to roll out with a full Valorite Plate Suit on EVERY CHARACTER. I mean not wearing it on a mage, but just having it in the backpack. Literally just press 1 button and in about 2-3seconds your leather is off and a full Valorite Suit is on.

Thats the type of survivability mindset i have and the way i like to approach issues and try to come up with solutions.

i have trouble taking people serious because I just assume they are like the average person Poptart PKs on his stream. Some random blue with a GM Katana and 80 bandages who runs into every tree/wall/stalagmite and boxes himself in between 4 MOBs while the PK is wailing on them.

DrSaso

Master
... Some random blue with a GM Katana and 80 bandages who runs into every tree/wall/stalagmite and boxes himself in between 4 MOBs while the PK is wailing on them.

Saying there's something wrong with my play style? :p swap kat for bow that misses 9/10 and that's me :p

Though saying that I have gotten better at escaping :) managed to escape a few 1v1-3s by just either getting lucky with hitting my recall the moment a red pops on screen or booking it through trees and houses till i can recall again or hide xD

Fighting is not my strong point....as i said...bow wants to miss most of the time and dealing 12-30 damage every 4 shots or so isn't going to kill anything lol! But i enjoy it and might make a pvp toon soon :)

jkg8787

Master
Saying there's something wrong with my play style? :p swap kat for bow that misses 9/10 and that's me :p

Though saying that I have gotten better at escaping :) managed to escape a few 1v1-3s by just either getting lucky with hitting my recall the moment a red pops on screen or booking it through trees and houses till i can recall again or hide xD

Fighting is not my strong point....as i said...bow wants to miss most of the time and dealing 12-30 damage every 4 shots or so isn't going to kill anything lol! But i enjoy it and might make a pvp toon soon :)
sounds like youre half way there and on the right track. i think thats a generally good path to follow. learn how to survive first. kill later.

recall on red name is the #1 thing i try to teach new people. if youre paying attention you should be recalling before they even get near you. if youre a person who panics make a macro that does it. or make a macro that selects your spell book and cast recall manually, but use the macro to select your book so youre not panicking while dying

Janesworld

Apprentice

Get better bro.

Sad part of this all is, it WILL fall on deaf ears due to the fact there are more active pvpers on this forum. While the people who are pked don't come here beating on their chests. Sometimes we know not to bother because the response will be 10x out of 10

'got good nub'

So you are a worthless def tali who automates everything?

Get good bro? Really, sorry the truth may have hurt your tiny glassheart. You are in fact one of the problems.

I think @Shane should do a proper poll and find out if the majority thinks that punishment for reds is to laxed, or if maybe account shame could be a thing.

DrSaso

Master
Yeah that's what i do...smash my "oh shit" button which recalls me to town :p but i think....not to make excuses but.... latency can get me killed... usually pinging around 130-210ms (uk) and those small delays between me seeing the reds, hitting recall and it happening with latency can allow them to quickly close the gap and maybe get a disrupt spell off and leave me a sitting duck....trying to run but occasionally losing a tile from latency again :p

Tried the orion client and love how smooth it is in comparison. Just gotta figure out macros on it xD

jkg8787

Master
what does defense talisman have to do with anything though?

maybe im ignorant.

like youre concerned that the PK attacking you has a higher % chance to resist a dragons fire breath?

if you want broken, try Phase Shift. that shit should not be able to activate when engaged with a player. freaking free teleport with no cast time.

also get rid of factioners being able to use heal wands when in combat with non faction.

those are like legit things that need to be changed (unless theres something i dont know about defensive talisman)

jkg8787

Master
Yeah that's what i do...smash my "oh shit" button which recalls me to town :p but i think....not to make excuses but.... latency can get me killed... usually pinging around 130-210ms (uk) and those small delays between me seeing the reds, hitting recall and it happening with latency can allow them to quickly close the gap and maybe get a disrupt spell off and leave me a sitting duck....trying to run but occasionally losing a tile from latency again :p

Tried the orion client and love how smooth it is in comparison. Just gotta figure out macros on it xD
you probably already know this, but try to keep reflect up at all times. that way when PK comes in pre-loaded you can still get recall off

DrSaso

Master
you probably already know this, but try to keep reflect up at all times. that way when PK comes in pre-loaded you can still get recall off
Yeah i should but zero magery, think need atleast some to cast it from a scroll right? :p

I hedge my bets and take my chances, try to never really carry anytging on me so only lose some bandies, arrows, trash armour and some time :p occasionally lose gold if I've not banked in a lil wile from the dungeon but thays the risk i take and oh well.... win some lose some :p

jkg8787

Master
and oh well.... win some lose some :p
omfg i think im in love...

this is the attitude UO players need.

you would probably need about 20-30 magery to use a reflect scroll. i believe with 0 magery the highest scroll you can use is lvl 4

if your method is currently working for you then keep at it. but if you feel like you are beginning to survive a bit better i might suggest starting to stock properly. proper equipment + your recent interest in learning how to survive and putting it into practice will eliminate the few deaths you are having.

drasked

Grandmaster
I'd like to see some kind of system which would allow people to track down and kill reds. Maybe if someone reports a murder all the bounty hunters get the bat signal.

DrSaso

Master
Lol same thing happened with my clan when we used to play arma wastelands/dayz.... they'd all spend hours getting super geared and then become so butthurt and full of rage when they died.... I'd just get a ghille suit and a hatchet....sneak around and axe the camping snipers a question :D if i died....oh well... plenty more hatchets to pick up lol

Think I'll leave the magery for now as training my stealth up to try and hide better...has saved my butt a good few times so far :)

Also bat signal! Lol brilliant :p though imagine most would turn off as would be relentless :p

jkg8787

Master
I'd like to see some kind of system which would allow people to track down and kill reds. Maybe if someone reports a murder all the bounty hunters get the bat signal.
hmm my kneejerk reaction is "no" but its not a bad idea per se. generally for something like that id prefer more organic appoaches rather than actual coding changes.

i occasionally see people announce in discord red locations and have sometimes shown up to put an end to the scourge. generally id prefer that people meet new people and friends, grab a hunting buddy, or join a guild and use Alliance systems built in.

could still be an interesting idea and i would prefer something like that rather than instituting more harsher punishments for reds

jkg8787

Master
Lol same thing happened with my clan when we used to play arma wastelands/dayz.... they'd all spend hours getting super geared and then become so butthurt and full of rage when they died.... I'd just get a ghille suit and a hatchet....sneak around and axe the camping snipers a question :D if i died....oh well... plenty more hatchets to pick up lol

Think I'll leave the magery for now as training my stealth up to try and hide better...has saved my butt a good few times so far :)

Also bat signal! Lol brilliant :p though imagine most would turn off as would be relentless :p
hiding + stealth is a great beginner farmer template imo (assuming you have ethereal mount tho...which costs money...which kinda makes it not beginner....but...) obviously a bard or a talisman-dexer will do more damage and make gold quicker but hide + stealth is super safe.

and if youve actually never played a mage before then dont put it off too long. its very important to know how to play dexer and a mage

DrSaso

Master
Got my ethy, threw some money at the game for it :D

Yeah dexxer is what I'm used to. Provo/arch I'm really enjoying tho.... magery...i dunno....i never really got on with it.... the whole cast timing and situation wasn't great for me as id just panic and mess up xD haha one day though....... :)

Janesworld

Apprentice
what does defense talisman have to do with anything though?

maybe im ignorant.

like youre concerned that the PK attacking you has a higher % chance to resist a dragons fire breath?

if you want broken, try Phase Shift. that shit should not be able to activate when engaged with a player. freaking free teleport with no cast time.

also get rid of factioners being able to use heal wands when in combat with non faction.

those are like legit things that need to be changed (unless theres something i dont know about defensive talisman)

I was talking more of the 5% per level dmg reduction against Melee/spells.

I mean why would a 50% dmg reduction to mobs that auto attack reds be a legit reason? it's a way to abuse mechanics. By having those mobs do up to half dmg. While also eliminating firebreath at a 25% chance.

I'll go get good meow