What's the point of head buy back?

jkg8787

Master
I was talking more of the 5% per level dmg reduction against Melee/spells.

I mean why would a 50% dmg reduction to mobs that auto attack reds be a legit reason? it's a way to abuse mechanics. By having those mobs do up to half dmg. While also eliminating firebreath at a 25% chance.

I'll go get good meow
so your problem is that when reds are murdering you (cause ur bad lol) they take less damage from monsters ( that you obviously need to help you even the odds because ur bad lol)

jkg8787

Master
"Man if only that dragon did 50 instantaneous damage from 3/4 screen away to that PK i wouldve totally won that 1v1 in Destard" - you (probably)

Janesworld

Apprentice
so your problem is that when reds are murdering you (cause ur bad lol) they take less damage from monsters ( that you obviously need to help you even the odds because ur bad lol)

I've read a number of your posts and you come off as someone who understands the game.

Why did staff make mobs auto attack reds in the first place? So you could use something designed for pvm to reduce dmg up to 50% also leeching health from mobs, while giving you a chance to be immune to fire breath/poison for an extended amount of time... all while pking someone?

Why do such elites need to abuse this if the average player is so easy to kill.

Maybe I'll take up crutches and get good.

Keep telling yourself it doesn't give you an unfair advantage to help you pk players.

Please let's debate this. I'd love to hear why you think it doesn't matter.

This is also somewhat on topic as it turned into reds having very limited risk versus the great rewards.

Janesworld

Apprentice
"Man if only that dragon did 50 instantaneous damage from 3/4 screen away to that PK i wouldve totally won that 1v1 in Destard" - you (probably)

Nope I'm more of a " that crutch weilding pk won't be bothering me because there's too much risk involved" kind of newbie.

@Janesworld - you do realise reds are targeted by mobs over blues, even if said blue is closer to the mob?

Or were you too busy having a panic attack when being attacked, then trying to get game mechanics changed cause u died. Sounds like a big "crutch" blues get...

Do u hear me crying constantly that this is a stupid mechanic? I simply adapted. Not that it matters for low hanging fruit - they fall over and see grey screens regardless.

jkg8787

Master
adapt or get left behind grandpa. here gramps let me school you. this is a 20 year old video game. its been min-maxed and meta-gamed over 20 years. whatever you remember 20 years ago has zero relevance now.

i basically started around launch, dragged like 40 spell icons out of my book and clicked my spells and manually targetted people all that BS.

then UOAssist came out (also EasyUO for the cheating scum) and UO was forever changed.

YOU make a choice to fight someone who has a defense talisman in a pack of monsters. thats on YOU.

NOBODY is impressed that you INTENTIONALLY gimp yourself by not utilizing third party assistant programs to your benefit.

grandpa ur like a guy playing in the NHL complaining about all the guys with their fancy carbon fiber sticks that are feather-light while youre rocking some 10 pound wooden KOHO stick. lmao.

GRANDPA PLEASE just go find another server where all 3rd party assistant programs are disabled. OH WAIT THAT PROBABLY DOESNT EXIST CAUSE NO ONE WOULD PLAY ON IT

Janesworld

Apprentice
@Janesworld - you do realise reds are targeted by mobs over blues, even if said blue is closer to the mob?

Or were you too busy having a panic attack when being attacked, then trying to get game mechanics changed cause u died. Sounds like a big "crutch" blues get...

Do u hear me crying constantly that this is a stupid mechanic? I simply adapted. Not that it matters for low hanging fruit - they fall over and see grey screens regardless.

So you wouldn't be able to handle the associated risks staff put in?

You'd rather get a win by abusing a mechanic that wasn't designed with the thought of buffing a red while he pks.

If abusing game mechanics is adapting what will you do when the tali doesn't work on reds?

Cry it's unfair for the solo pk, while you need a def tali to pk the solo farmer.

Iya a crutch and without it you wouldn't bother pking because it would be to hard and far too risky

Janesworld

Apprentice
adapt or get left behind grandpa. here gramps let me school you. this is a 20 year old video game. its been min-maxed and meta-gamed over 20 years. whatever you remember 20 years ago has zero relevance now.

i basically started around launch, dragged like 40 spell icons out of my book and clicked my spells and manually targetted people all that BS.

then UOAssist came out (also EasyUO for the cheating scum) and UO was forever changed.

YOU make a choice to fight someone who has a defense talisman in a pack of monsters. thats on YOU.

NOBODY is impressed that you INTENTIONALLY gimp yourself by not utilizing third party assistant programs to your benefit.

grandpa ur like a guy playing in the NHL complaining about all the guys with their fancy carbon fiber sticks that are feather-light while youre rocking some 10 pound wooden KOHO stick. lmao.

GRANDPA PLEASE just go find another server where all 3rd party assistant programs are disabled. OH WAIT THAT PROBABLY DOESNT EXIST CAUSE NO ONE WOULD PLAY ON IT

Explain that to @baseball dad hes been crying for awhile over the progression of the game and assistant programs.

Clearly you missed the passive aggressive joke part of that. I use uo steam and sallos

So you wouldn't be able to handle the associated risks staff put in?

You'd rather get a win by abusing a mechanic that wasn't designed with the thought of buffing a red while he pks.

If abusing game mechanics is adapting what will you do when the tali doesn't work on reds?

Cry it's unfair for the solo pk, while you need a def tali to pk the solo farmer.

Iya a crutch and without it you wouldn't bother pking because it would be to hard and far too risky

I have 1 red with a def talisman not even maxed.

My other reds don't have one yet still clean up trash without blinking.

Id argue more blues have a def talisman than reds, plus they get the advantage of mobs attacking reds first. Sounds like a big advantage... plus they can recall at any time...

My advice to you is learn the game to atleast a moderate level before running your mouth.

jkg8787

Master
Id argue more blues have a def talisman than reds, plus they get the advantage of mobs attacking reds first. Sounds like a big advantage... plus they can recall at any time..
this times 20 million. and i still cant understand how people are dying 1v1 without being able to Recall. i try to be nice cause not everyone is a geek like me whos played for years. but honestly what the fk? its basically impossible to die 1v1 if you actively arent trying to fight and are just being defensive and trying to escape.

jkg8787

Master
*is a lich, an undead being corrupted by evil sorcery and doomed to roam the halls of wicked dungeons for eternity*

*spots something ahead*

"what's this? two wretched humans having a fight in my sanctuary of pain? i cannot stand the smell of a disgusting human. i will put an end to this!"

"oh whats that, one is a kind pure-hearted soul and the other is a murderous criminal intent on sewing evil across the world? Ahhh well i know who i naturally side with!"

*auto-aggros the murderer and flamestrikes him immediately*

Janesworld

Apprentice
Who said that I was the one dieing?

I'm speaking from a point of view from a player that has tried items / templates before speaking on them.

I do know what I'm talking about and base dad has cried for years that target closest w a spell is gimp n they need to remove target closest ect. But when you call him out, it immediately turns to deflection and excuses.

i know I know, some people can associate playing a blue def tali char against monsters as the same thing as a red against blue players...

Only in your world

jkg8787

Master
well im a natural shitposter at heart so if i pegged you wrong then my bad.

i get that pking is "non consensual" and that there is a group of players who prefer crafting or farming or w.e and they dont like fighting and want to be left alone. thats fine, but i dont think its realistic to leave town and expect to be safe. its pretty much that simple. i dont think reds need any more punishments. theres a reason people are playing this game 20 years later and a large portion of that reason has to do with PKing and the combat ruleset in general.

i read some posts and its like they live in a different UO world than i do. seems like they want reds absolutely crushed because theyre mad they cant farm in peace. i hate to keep harping on Trammel but umm hello? remember when Trammel LITERALLY killed UO? because OSI decided to cater towards players who simply cant hack it.

we have wolves talking to sheep. its insanity. the sheep are asking for leniency from the wolves. the wolves just say "dont wanna get eaten, well trot those hooves a little faster next time"

"dad has cried for years that target closest w a spell is gimp n they need to remove target closest ect. But when you call him out, it immediately turns to deflection and excuses."

if you say so. could be true i dunno. but i thought most people were upset not at "target closest' but at the losers who roll 8 deep and can only get kills that way and if god forbid you ever caught them alone without them calling in they are exposed as the trash that they are without a group.

"i know I know, some people can associate playing a blue def tali char against monsters as the same thing as a red against blue players...

Only in your world""

im genuinely having a hard time trying to process this, but ill attempt to rebut what I think youre implying. youre saying that just because some blues get Talismans to help them farm doesnt equivocate them with Reds who get talismans to help them PK better. well you may have some sort of semi-reta.rded point there, but what baseball was trying to say was that BOTH reds and blues can buy/get a defense talisman. Nothing stopping either one. And because MOBs prioritize attacking Reds over Blues that means that a blue with a talisman is more likely to beat a red with a talisman because he might be able to get the MOBs to aggro the red and not themselves

Streets

Grandmaster
Liches should be tossing heals at my murderous ass and randomly casting Bless on me as i run by

LOL

Actually (this may supprise you) I kinda like this idea! But only the most murderous of reds should be able to have this. I mean someone would have to be truly evil to have an evil being ally with him/her.

Maybe take the top reds on the server (maybe use the old osi murder board code) and they could command evil creatures kinda like a tamer?

Sorry didn't mean to get side tracked just sparked my interest.

Last edited:

Janesworld

Apprentice
Nice you seem to get it, but what about the various other templates that don't have that ability. I mean once the red attacks a blue the only person benefitting from the tali is the red who in turn takes up to 50% less dmg with buffs allowing reds a much greater chance at success.

@Shane has said many times he needs/wants to do something as he (the owner) thinks it is unfair and being abused. They never intended for them to be used in pvp.

I get the phase shift arguement, but up to 50% less damage versus teleporting randomly sometimes.

Streets

Grandmaster
This is why I suggested punish the toon not the account or player. Players play each toon differently. A red (character) did the crime he should do the time. Have the red toon be logged in for that time to work off penance.

I am not saying get rid of buy back or that 48 hours is the magic number but this seams balanced you still have 8+ other toons to play or buy back your head or earn the time off.

Streets

Grandmaster
*is a lich, an undead being corrupted by evil sorcery and doomed to roam the halls of wicked dungeons for eternity*

*spots something ahead*

"what's this? two wretched humans having a fight in my sanctuary of pain? i cannot stand the smell of a disgusting human. i will put an end to this!"

"oh whats that, one is a kind pure-hearted soul and the other is a murderous criminal intent on sewing evil across the world? Ahhh well i know who i naturally side with!"

*auto-aggros the murderer and flamestrikes him immediately*

I would like to see this reversed as well if we can find a better fair way to balance crime and punishment.