What's the point of head buy back?

We can't all play 3 button dex monkeys with a use dagger attack closest red/blue/gray humanoid, 30k weapon with an explo pot.( lol 30k and I'm the poor one )

Actually you can, r*tard. Also, it's SO easy to get away from a dexxor PK I can't even begin to understand how you are having so much difficulty with this. If you don't want to risk getting killed by the guys who think PKing is worth it/fun, then dont go to the high end areas until YOU ARE BETTER AT THE GAME. Just like in a shitty game like World of Warcraft, you wouldn't try the hardest raid as a fresh max level. You would get better at the game, get better gear, and then attempt the hardest content over and over and over until you succeed. You seem to have either skipped the first two steps, or you have lost your mind in attempting the hardest content over and over which is the part where PKs will attack you while you try and farm the highest end content in UO. Sorry bud, keep practicing. Also keep in mind this game is 20 years old, when the hardest content is dictated by PKs who have been literally playing UO for close to 20 years, you can't expect to be on their level in a matter of a few months. Asking for them to be punished for your lack of skill and practice would be the equivalent of begging Blizzard to make the raids easier for you. Get better and shut the f*ck up please. /thread.

Last edited:

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
I would love to see some sort of reward for blues, who are hunting reds (which really is head buyback - which isn't work), the problem is that it's so abuse-able, that bounties, and other suggestions like the sort just don't work as you'll kill your own reds with your blues. Since we don't live in a society with capital punishment, ie - you get caught as a criminal too many times and you are permanently executed, we are left with trying to find ways of slowing down the criminal actions (8 hour in game stat loss), or helping the victims out.

The original point of the thread was head buy back - and why no one does it, personally I think there are two reasons.. 1) i don't think the penalty is strict enough - make it a 24 hour in game stat loss, and see how many people actually buy their heads back. 2) if people can have 12-15 red characters across all their accounts, what do they care if they lose a character for a couple days, they just move on to the next one.. also fixable with stricter penalties, because when they start getting down to the last of their characters, they'll buy heads back.

Now here's for a real strict penalty, but with some fun and legacy tied to it... A criminal kill board, tied to the number of different players you've killed, like a murderer leaderboard, but when you got over 500 kills (numbers can be toyed with), you could then be permanently murdered (unless you pay a substantial fee to buy your head back - huge gold sink!!), but there'd be a historical archive somewhere of the most vicious murderers. Maybe even statues resurrected in Buc's Den for the top 3 most murderous villains.. Everyone likes legacy..

lol some of us play the game for pvp and not necessarily to play as reds....I started this server a week and a half ago and have had more fun on my bard in shame lvl 5 this past weekend than I've had in a long time. I carry explo pots and was just debating on whether I should join a faction on my bard so I can use wands to chase people down......even without alchy on my bard my pots still disrupt and I'm the one chasing them down after they jumped me!

The more you penalize murderers the more they will group up and only come out when they have minimal chance of dying......the less you penalize them the more risks they're willing to take fighting solo/outnumbered, it's more about getting their loot when you kill them than stopping them from playing.

And I personally enjoy fighting the same person several times throughout the day if there's nobody else. I left UO:R because once I killed someone they were out of the game for days and there were only so many people to fight against, half the time I'd cancel my finishing spell cursor and tell them gf and recall away. I'd play uoforever but the population sucks so here I am.

I very much dislike that you have to be in a faction to use wands here, that's kinda the end game mage pvp is mastering spells, wands, pots, fighting outnumbered, etc. and on my bard it's stupid I have to not only deal with pks but then any other dick that wants to call in their friends to get silver every time they find me farming. If I want to carry around 30k+ worth of wands on a non pvp char to be more capable in pvp I should be able to. It should be a sandbox and not limited artificially imo.

jkg8787

Master
Nice you seem to get it, but what about the various other templates that don't have that ability. I mean once the red attacks a blue the only person benefitting from the tali is the red who in turn takes up to 50% less dmg with buffs allowing reds a much greater chance at success.

@Shane has said many times he needs/wants to do something as he (the owner) thinks it is unfair and being abused. They never intended for them to be used in pvp.

I get the phase shift arguement, but up to 50% less damage versus teleporting randomly sometimes.
so a PK is chasing you, you both have talisman and you think its only red benefitting? obvious the red has higher aggro priority but the blue can still be attacked by monster too so they benefit as well in the scenario youre describing dont they?

and you wont hear complaints from me if its disabled in all PvP scenarios. thats the most logical outcome. its silly for it to count.

not sure how much of a nightmare it would be to code, but in general if another player flags on you, or you flag on another player ALL relics should be disabled. (just like factioner wand heals should be disabled vs non factioner)

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
If you want PvP - play in the consensual PvP grounds (factions / militias soon) - I really can't look at anyone who jumps gimped PvM templates, and people not wearing armor, as someone looking for PvP.... Those are opportunists.. and yes, some good fights occur due to it - but it's likely less than 10% of the time.. Hell I've watched the streams out there.. those PvM templates don't stand a chance, that's why when a red gets put down by one, he should be punished, because the last 10-15 people he attacked, likely died with little to no chance.

jkg8787

Master
Actually you can, r*tard. Also, it's SO easy to get away from a dexxor PK I can't even begin to understand how you are having so much difficulty with this. If you don't want to risk getting killed by the guys who think PKing is worth it/fun, then dont go to the high end areas until YOU ARE BETTER AT THE GAME. Just like in a shitty game like World of Warcraft, you wouldn't try the hardest raid as a fresh max level. You would get better at the game, get better gear, and then attempt the hardest content over and over and over until you succeed. You seem to have either skipped the first two steps, or you have lost your mind in attempting the hardest content over and over which is the part where PKs will attack you while you try and farm the highest end content in UO. Sorry bud, keep practicing. Also keep in mind this game is 20 years old, when the hardest content is dictated by PKs who have been literally playing UO for close to 20 years, you can't expect to be on their level in a matter of a few months. Asking for them to be punished for your lack of skill and practice would be the equivalent of begging Blizzard to make the raids easier for you. Get better and shut the f*ck up please. /thread.
this is basically my thoughts except im not as big an asshole. although you can track my progression over this thread and see im quickly reaching this level of assholeitis

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
so a PK is chasing you, you both have talisman and you think its only red benefitting? obvious the red has higher aggro priority but the blue can still be attacked by monster too so they benefit as well in the scenario youre describing dont they?

and you wont hear complaints from me if its disabled in all PvP scenarios. thats the most logical outcome. its silly for it to count.

not sure how much of a nightmare it would be to code, but in general if another player flags on you, or you flag on another player ALL relics should be disabled. (just like factioner wand heals should be disabled vs non factioner)

I think if you attack a player - yours should get disabled, if the player attacks back, his should get disabled. If you disable everyone's in a PvP scenario, you'll get players waiting until you are engaged with tough mobs (Balron Paragons!) and then attacking you so your talisman disables, and you get killed.. pretty grief-able.

jkg8787

Master
If you want PvP - play in the consensual PvP grounds (factions / militias soon) - I really can't look at anyone who jumps gimped PvM templates, and people not wearing armor, as someone looking for PvP.... Those are opportunists.. and yes, some good fights occur due to it - but it's likely less than 10% of the time.. Hell I've watched the streams out there.. those PvM templates don't stand a chance, that's why when a red gets put down by one, he should be punished, because the last 10-15 people he attacked, likely died with little to no chance.
this is definitely a good argument. but i think that blues need to be ruthlessly hunted down and smashed. lol. like isnt bending over blues good for UO:F's economy?

if we allowed blues to farm unchecked, does this not have potential to effect prices and inflation?

should end game content be so easy? and yes i get just farming liches or w.e isnt really "end game" but i think you get my idea.

people who dont want to fight literally just cast one spell and leave. not hard.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
this is definitely a good argument. but i think that blues need to be ruthlessly hunted down and smashed. lol. like isnt bending over blues good for UO:F's economy?

if we allowed blues to farm unchecked, does this not have potential to effect prices and inflation?

should end game content be so easy? and yes i get just farming liches or w.e isnt really "end game" but i think you get my idea.

people who dont want to fight literally just cast one spell and leave. not hard.

Oh I don't think the opportunists should go away - I just want them to start calling a spade a spade, and stop labeling it as some form of PvP for the sake of PvP enjoyment.. it's malicious, murderous, fun for one side only (90% of the time!) and it's what makes UO great. That's why I think those opportunistic reds should be penalized heavier - for what their actions insinuate.

Unfortunately that lumps all reds in a general rule, and there are some true reds out there. I ran into one that killed me in Destard this morning - man was I a noob, losing my repond sb, but he was vicious, with his explos, and his perfect (I assume) 2 hand mace that seemed to hit me everytime, and being on a meta mage with no armor, I took it like a.. well champ would be the wrong word.. I died a horrible death... The difference with this red, he was farming ettins, and I ran into him... He didn't swoop in with an opportunistic attack, or scout with a blue first, he was living his life as a criminal.. those are the criminals I wish we could protect, and give a more lenient punishment too, unfortunately bad apples spoil the bunch..

jkg8787

Master
I think if you attack a player - yours should get disabled, if the player attacks back, his should get disabled.
I strongly disagree with this. This gets to the heart of what Im trying to say. The goal should be leveling the field.

THERE ARE NO BENEFITS TO BEING RED. People are acting like going Red gives you +10 damage, when in fact its just a giant "Kick Me" sign painted on your back

As I previously explained, at least you know where you stand with a Red -- they want you dead. Who knows what some random Blue is up to in the dungeon with you. Are they going to take a count on you when you're low? Are they going to lure spawn to you and then invis to try to get you killed? Are they going to loot your corpses and take your items/gold off the corpse in an attempt to get you to attack them (i.e "Noto-PK" you)?

Say we made being Red a literal nightmare. What's to stop me logging on a Blue PvPer and following you around to ever kill you make and looting your gold straight off it and going Grey right in your face. Are you going to attack me and stand up for yourself or is it just like "at least hes not Red!"

jkg8787

Master
btw bro if youre planning to join factions so you can "chase people down" with wands i hope you realize that you can only use them on other factioners. just wanted to clarify.

i dont know if this will sound illogical or make me seem like a p.ussy, but im a solo player i really feel like factions is for established guilds who KNOW HOW TO PLAY and have cut-offs marked and co-ordinate on voice-chat and all this other stuff.

yes factions is definitely where people SHOULD be looking for pvp but i feel like it might be a nightmare as a solo player. the only interest i had in factions was to put my red in so i can use heal wands, i mean im already red anyways so its not like i care if factioners attack my Red but i dont know if i want to put a blue in factions.

havent really thought it through much so maybe that doesnt make any sense or it comes off as me being a pus.sy i dunno

jkg8787

Master
damn that's shitty af.
ya im like 3 months in and that was the first thing here that really disappointed me. everything else is great though.

i like wands but im slightly iffy on them. majority of equipment used in PvP is craftable and plentiful. maybe im killing the wrong MOBs but i feel like the wand drop rates here are pitiful. i cant remember the last time i got a GHeal wand.

i like the concept of wands in PvP, but i dont like the idea of it being limited to who got the lucky spawn drops or who had enough gold to buy up all the wands.

although i DO miss the uoforever days where i used my first character there to simply follow factioners fighting, loot their wands and then sell them back to factioners in bulk. thats how i got my start on uoforever just looting wands until i had enough money to start training skills lol.

(you can use heals tho, which might help if you get jumped by PKs while farming, but then youre going to end up trading the Reds for Oranges. as previously stated im 100% for either removing the ability to Heal while fighting non factioners or simply opening wands up to everyone, not this weird quasi unfair state its currently in)

Streets

Grandmaster
Oh I don't think the opportunists should go away - I just want them to start calling a spade a spade, and stop labeling it as some form of PvP for the sake of PvP enjoyment.. it's malicious, murderous, fun for one side only (90% of the time!) and it's what makes UO great. That's why I think those opportunistic reds should be penalized heavier - for what their actions insinuate.

Unfortunately that lumps all reds in a general rule, and there are some true reds out there. I ran into one that killed me in Destard this morning - man was I a noob, losing my repond sb, but he was vicious, with his explos, and his perfect (I assume) 2 hand mace that seemed to hit me everytime, and being on a meta mage with no armor, I took it like a.. well champ would be the wrong word.. I died a horrible death... The difference with this red, he was farming ettins, and I ran into him... He didn't swoop in with an opportunistic attack, or scout with a blue first, he was living his life as a criminal.. those are the criminals I wish we could protect, and give a more lenient punishment too, unfortunately bad apples spoil the bunch..

This 1000%

I don't hate PvP, hell I know there is a chance I can get murdered that's fine once in a while. I had another post in the pvp forum asking how to get better at PvP, everyone says you need a PvP template. But what we have is PvP templates attacking pvm templates there is no chance. Yes you can recall macros but I find the attack happens when you are in combat and can't get a recall off even before the player shows up (just after show names of incoming players red name.)

I get it that's part of the game but so is harsh penelties for doing so.

Last edited:

Streets

Grandmaster
I would love to see some sort of reward for blues, who are hunting reds (which really is head buyback - which isn't work), the problem is that it's so abuse-able, that bounties, and other suggestions like the sort just don't work as you'll kill your own reds with your blues. Since we don't live in a society with capital punishment, ie - you get caught as a criminal too many times and you are permanently executed, we are left with trying to find ways of slowing down the criminal actions (8 hour in game stat loss), or helping the victims out.

The original point of the thread was head buy back - and why no one does it, personally I think there are two reasons.. 1) i don't think the penalty is strict enough - make it a 24 hour in game stat loss, and see how many people actually buy their heads back. 2) if people can have 12-15 red characters across all their accounts, what do they care if they lose a character for a couple days, they just move on to the next one.. also fixable with stricter penalties, because when they start getting down to the last of their characters, they'll buy heads back.

Now here's for a real strict penalty, but with some fun and legacy tied to it... A criminal kill board, tied to the number of different players you've killed, like a murderer leaderboard, but when you got over 500 kills (numbers can be toyed with), you could then be permanently murdered (unless you pay a substantial fee to buy your head back - huge gold sink!!), but there'd be a historical archive somewhere of the most vicious murderers. Maybe even statues resurrected in Buc's Den for the top 3 most murderous villains.. Everyone likes legacy..

The problem with this is some jackass will just keep killing his alt account toon over and over again to get to the top of the boards. This was a problem on the original servers, people would abuse the bounty system killing friends or alts to get the name on the board then let thier buddy or alt turn the head in for the reward and get his gold back.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
The problem with this is some jackass will just keep killing his alt account toon over and over again to get to the top of the boards. This was a problem on the original servers, people would abuse the bounty system killing friends or alts to get the name on the board then let thier buddy or alt turn the head in for the reward and get his gold back.

That's why you tie it around how many different characters he's murdered, versus how many kills..

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
The extra incentive was tied to a suggestion allowing a red PK to be perma-killed... Based on after 500 different chars, it'd cost you 100k to get resurrected if you died (200 gp per killed character)... or choose to accept perma death, and be gone forever, but have your name go down in the annals of history.