Voice Unheard? Time for more staff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swayze

Grandmaster
Let me prefix this by saying this is not a shot at @Shane @Adam @JoeB @Skye Wolfbane @eppy @halygon or any other staff members.

In the past few months I feel the server and forums have had a real toxic vibe. The GMs here do a lot of work and put time in on top of their regular work schedule, likely in the 10-40 hours a week. Its very obvious they are being over worked judging by the way things have transpired these past few months. I think we need a few more staff members.

IRC and the forums have been nothing but bitching, complaining and trolling and nothing is being done to enforce this. The server has had a major issue with griefing, racism and personal shots that I did not see before when I first started. To view this from a new players perspective, this is not healthy for the server.

One of the issues I have is it seems like voices are being unheard. A simple acknowledgement goes a long ways and would diffuse a lot of issues. A simple "We are looking into this" would prevent a lot of the issues and massive amounts of rants in the forums.

I am guessing there are a lot of things going on the background that I am unaware of however the lack of transparency is causing rumours and adding to the toxic vibe. You can't even sit in IRC for 30 mins without seeing personal shots, bitching, complaining and a bunch of unnecessary crap. Threads are getting deleted and locked with no context, people are leaving the shard because of the griefing.

A few great points were brought up in this thread and just recently a staff member said "I tried, nothing can be done" which is just a perfect example to the point of this thread. See here: http://uoforum.com/threads/for-sale-threads.60714/#post-417609

The fact that egor has 16 threads where half of them have the same item is making the forum a personal selling message board for him. Bumping a thread every 5 mins is getting very annoying having to sort through the exact same crap that has been overpriced and bumped 1000 times.

So to conclude, I feel we need more forum mods, more IRC mods, more developers and GMs. Its very obvious there is not enough and there are so many potential candidates in this community it would be so easy to accomplish.

Thoughts?

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
You say threads are getting locked and deleted but then say they aren't being moderated.
We have been more strict lately and several people have received bans.

Swayze

Grandmaster
Its more so they are being deleted with no context. Sometimes the truth hurts but just because it hurts doesn't mean it should be deleted. The personal shots, troll sell threads, insane bumping is more what I am referring to.

Mango

Grandmaster
There is so much interesting content shared on this forum every day. This isn't the most transparent server, which is probably for the best. Honestly, more transparency usually results in more whining from people. (some of the suggestions from people are great, and some suggestions kinda.. not so great).

However the people who do have power to make change, generally fall into the same traps I see a lot of businesses fall into:
- Busy with bugs / other issues
- No/minimal proper knowledge of balancing (saying this as someone who has worked with Blizzard, as well as other companies on balancing content for years).
- Stubborness / Fear of change
- Lack of caring (sometimes)
- Having the best intentions, but not being able to execute effectively.

of course, I have also seen a lot of awesome things come from the staff:
- all of the amazing events
- Server upgrades
- Dono items (that don't give advantages to game play).
- Well done creative
- ALOT of work in the PvP area
- a good amount of custom content
- etc...

Over all I think the staff has done a pretty darn good job. Could things improve? Yes. Could things be worse? Yes. It's not a perfect business... but then again, is any business perfect?

Venomane

Master
Well said Mango. Staff might see this as a poke but it's meant to be an friendly, honest thought to be considered from loyal players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mango

Grandmaster
Well said Mango. Staff might see this as a poke but it's meant to be an friendly, honest thought to be considered from loyal players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oh yeah, it was meant to be constructive, if anything came off as harsh or as a 'jab', that was by no means my intention :)

Vince[Tharakus]

Grandmaster
I agree, something needs done about the negativity. The trolling, personal attacks, and just the overall griefing. This is mostly on the forums but ingame as well. And dont give me the usual "Trammy" comment or its part the game. NO ITS NOT!
It's just so detrimental to our server and I believe that the solution (whatever it may be) should be first and foremost on the GMs or MODs "To-Do" list. I love our staff here. I've stated that several times. But the trolls are overwhelming! Im glad that alot of our Teams resources and efforts are spent on new content, improved content, and to the betterment of our server. But im afraid that if these issues arent addressed and fixed we wont have a server to come to.
So I implore our GMs to please make this a priority and just do the best you can to fix this. Thats all one can ask. And thats usually what you guys give.
This cancer is belittling something I love so much! And im not alone on this. Its a game yes, but its OUR game! And we all love it!

Long Live UOF!!

Gabriel Garcia

Apprentice
x6m81.png

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Let me prefix this by saying this is not a shot at @Shane @Adam @JoeB @Skye Wolfbane @eppy @halygon or any other staff members.

In the past few months I feel the server and forums have had a real toxic vibe. The GMs here do a lot of work and put time in on top of their regular work schedule, likely in the 10-40 hours a week. Its very obvious they are being over worked judging by the way things have transpired these past few months. I think we need a few more staff members.

IRC and the forums have been nothing but bitching, complaining and trolling and nothing is being done to enforce this. The server has had a major issue with griefing, racism and personal shots that I did not see before when I first started. To view this from a new players perspective, this is not healthy for the server.

One of the issues I have is it seems like voices are being unheard. A simple acknowledgement goes a long ways and would diffuse a lot of issues. A simple "We are looking into this" would prevent a lot of the issues and massive amounts of rants in the forums.

I am guessing there are a lot of things going on the background that I am unaware of however the lack of transparency is causing rumours and adding to the toxic vibe. You can't even sit in IRC for 30 mins without seeing personal shots, bitching, complaining and a bunch of unnecessary crap. Threads are getting deleted and locked with no context, people are leaving the shard because of the griefing.

A few great points were brought up in this thread and just recently a staff member said "I tried, nothing can be done" which is just a perfect example to the point of this thread. See here: http://uoforum.com/threads/for-sale-threads.60714/#post-417609

The fact that egor has 16 threads where half of them have the same item is making the forum a personal selling message board for him. Bumping a thread every 5 mins is getting very annoying having to sort through the exact same crap that has been overpriced and bumped 1000 times.

So to conclude, I feel we need more forum mods, more IRC mods, more developers and GMs. Its very obvious there is not enough and there are so many potential candidates in this community it would be so easy to accomplish.

Thoughts?

I agree, something needs done about the negativity. The trolling, personal attacks, and just the overall griefing. This is mostly on the forums but ingame as well. And dont give me the usual "Trammy" comment or its part the game. NO ITS NOT!
It's just so detrimental to our server and I believe that the solution (whatever it may be) should be first and foremost on the GMs or MODs "To-Do" list. I love our staff here. I've stated that several times. But the trolls are overwhelming! Im glad that alot of our Teams resources and efforts are spent on new content, improved content, and to the betterment of our server. But im afraid that if these issues arent addressed and fixed we wont have a server to come to.
So I implore our GMs to please make this a priority and just do the best you can to fix this. Thats all one can ask. And thats usually what you guys give.
This cancer is belittling something I love so much! And im not alone on this. Its a game yes, but its OUR game! And we all love it!

Long Live UOF!!

Uh there's more forum mods now than ever.

They took away rants n flames again so yes there will be some smack talk and trolling that spills over. This is ultima online...

Mods have been on point with bannings/thread locks lately.

@Swayze you said there needs to be more responses, then cite a case of Skye giving you direct feedback on your idea!

@Vince[Tharakus] If you literally get overwhelmed by the VERY TAME trash talk that goes on in the forums and in game then you need to learn to use ignore functions to shelter yourself. Or just limit what threads you look at or something. Not everyone is so sensitive and I don't mean that in a condescending way. I like to give and receive grief, it is undeniably a part of UO and a reflection of the most important UO aspect: player freedom.

Oh and PS server population is crazy high and it's summer. There has been a mass migration TO UOF which is only continuing. Enough with 'the sky is falling! The server is being harmed!' Nonsense.

@Shane @Adam @halygon and all staff please keep working on the things that give us the best UO experience and gameplay. STAY FOCUSED :)

Swayze

Grandmaster
I am referring to other threads that have pages and pages of posts that do not get acknowledged. You know there are multiple cases of this and don't say you have no clue.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
I am referring to other threads that have pages and pages of posts that do not get acknowledged. You know there are multiple cases of this and don't say you have no clue.

Yes I know. I saw the thread. You got a response. They don't want to impose limits on posts or threads. That's it.

It's an online forum not the United Nations, just scroll past the threads or something. People are going to be shitty and make shitty threads and by annoying. Oh well.

And yes I'm aware @egor makes annoying and repetitive sale threads. It annoys the fuck out of people and they don't buy his stuff because of it. Maybe he will learn, maybe he won't. But he gets the freedom to hawk his wares as he sees fit.

Yes I'm aware @Bobby123 makes troll selling threads just to get a rise out of people. I'm still amazed at how easily people fall for it. People need to take a step back and chill and I say this as someone who GODDAMNIT COON SELL ME THE FUCKING RED LLAMA.

Swayze

Grandmaster
Yes I know. I saw the thread. You got a response. They don't want to impose limits on posts or threads. That's it.

It's an online forum not the United Nations, just scroll past the threads or something. People are going to be shitty and make shitty threads and by annoying. Oh well.

And yes I'm aware @egor makes annoying and repetitive sale threads. It annoys the fuck out of people and they don't buy his stuff because of it. Maybe he will learn, maybe he won't. But he gets the freedom to hawk his wares as he sees fit.

Yes I'm aware @Bobby123 makes troll selling threads just to get a rise out of people. I'm still amazed at how easily people fall for it. People need to take a step back and chill and I say this as someone who GODDAMNIT COON SELL ME THE FUCKING RED LLAMA.

So you are saying that more staff and mods would not benefit the server as a whole, which is the objective of this thread.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
So you are saying that more staff and mods would not benefit the server as a whole, which is the objective of this thread.

I'm saying putting resources into hiring enough mods to keep the online forums of a healthy UO community troll, spam, and shit talk free would be a terrible decision that is extremely unlikely to happen.

Best idea I have heard so far: ignore option for the forums. Problem solved and no one has to spent all their time policing a bunch of grown up children slap fighting each over a video game for actual children.

kurtis

Grandmaster
If you literally get overwhelmed by the VERY TAME trash talk that goes on in the forums and in game then you need to learn to use ignore functions to shelter yourself. Or just limit what threads you look at or something. Not everyone is so sensitive and I don't mean that in a condescending way. I like to give and receive grief, it is undeniably a part of UO and a reflection of the most important UO aspect: player freedom.

I have to agree with this.

Swayze

Grandmaster
I'm saying putting resources into hiring enough mods to keep the online forums of a healthy UO community troll, spam, and shit talk free would be a terrible decision that is extremely unlikely to happen.

Best idea I have heard so far: ignore option for the forums. Problem solved and no one has to spent all their time policing a bunch of grown up children slap fighting each over a video game for actual children.

What resources are you referring to? It's not like this is a paid position.

Status
Not open for further replies.