Resurrecting Factions

Lets face it. Factions has lost it's way in the latest years of free shards. There used to be an objective goal fighting over sigils and capturing towns and everyone was involved. When factions was released, it was designed to be a multiclass contextual conflict system and it worked well back in the day but it faded into mages fighting for no real reason. It reached a point where the average player was intimidated by factions and the idea of joining became unrealistic. The definition of factions has changed so dramatically that average players have lost interest in it and so the entire faction system suffers in turn.

This thread isn't about complaining, it's not a rant and i'm not asking the staff for anything either. This is about reaching out to players who want to faction but don't think they can, in an attempt to make factions fun again, make it what it used to be so that it's not only a realistic goal for normal players but appealing as well. As much as server owners and developers try to push players in certain directions, Ultima Online is and always will be a true sandbox environment. We shape the way that things like factions turn out by how we encounter them. We shouldn't demand changes to factions from staff, we should demand changes to factions from players.

The Secret Society is a medium sized guild of old veteran players between 20-30 years old. Most of us are players who played OSI servers 10-15 years ago and haven't adapted to things like Sallos and Razor but are learning. We all have families, children and jobs and our hardcore try hard PvP days are in the past. We enjoy the game and it's content and our goal at the end of the day is just to have fun with it. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose but we're fine with the outcome if we had good laughs in between.

The reason I'm talking about my guild is because we're a prime example of average players on this particular server, the type of guild that in it's current system, would not last 5 minutes in factions. If more guilds like us joined factions, the system would balance it self out and the mutliclass conflict would soon follow. Thieves would be stealing sigils, bards and tamers would be farming silver from enemy faction mobs, crafters would be making weapons for their guilds to fight with and the rest would be combining resources to defend and capture towns, people would properly vote in what is now rigged elections.

So here is what I'm going to do and I truly hope that others like us follow. The Secret Society is going to join a faction, knowing the risks and knowing that we're going to get trash talked by the regular faction group, we're making an attempt to resurrect the already existing faction system and make it a more realistic goal for players of all backgrounds.

If you would like to participate, you can join a faction as a guild regardless of your stance on PvP, you could join as an individual whether you are a crafter or a bard, or you can inquire to join The Secret Society and have fun with like minded gamers.

Thanks for reading and wish us luck. We'll need it.

yamman

Journeyman
Great to see some old school UO players having fun. I have only recently re-joined and am really looking forward to running around with The Secret Society and having a laugh.

Join Up!!

Shake

Master
I'd like to see more incentive for the average guild to join factions or some sort of order/chaos. At the moment, the only reason to join factions for non pvpers is for power scrolls (99% of these people are never seen outside champs and just run if you try fight them). I don't know why blue pvp guilds are so scared. 2-3 people is enough to play factions. Rest assured that you're probably no worse than the majority of faction guilds here at the moment. GL.

My guild and I talked long and hard about incentives like you're talking about and in the end, there really doesn't have to be incentives, for us at least. The whole point of factions was about control and we don't care for golden star stickers every time we cap a town or sigil. That mentality is for World of Warcraft players who are used to having their hand held, is it so hard to believe that people play games for fun? :p

Shake

Master
My guild and I talked long and hard about incentives like you're talking about and in the end, there really doesn't have to be incentives, for us at least. The whole point of factions was about control and we don't care for golden star stickers every time we cap a town or sigil. That mentality is for World of Warcraft players who are used to having their hand held, is it so hard to believe that people play games for fun? :p
People are just so incredibly scared to die in this video game. I see no reason to play UO if you don't plan on being in any danger. Props to you and your guild, but other blue guilds are going to need a reason to leave the safety of Britannia, sadly.

Personally, our reason, is for the sheer fun of it. If enough of us do this, it wont be such a scary place and don't forget, blessed crafted faction weapons are easily attainable in factions, is dying really that scary all of the sudden?

NoXXeD

Grandmaster
To bad you got people like marley and even power that are gonna insta gank with everyone they have on, when they see one member on and then res kill for shits and giggles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shake

Master
I don't see how that will improve anything. The "rewards" are horrible.

• Minister’s Guards, enabling the exilement of specific players from their towns;
  • Disciplined Guards, preventing murderers to enter into their town;
  • Watchful Guards, decreasing successful attempt to steal for thieves;
  • Diligent Merchants, decreasing restock timer of vendors;
  • Various resource bonuses, enabling increased gathering rates of things like hides, ore, wood and gold;
  • Various skill gain increases, enabling more rapid skill-gain for citizens in certain skill-sets whether it be combat, rogue, gathering or crafting
  • Combat bonuses, enabling slight defensive bonuses for town citizens while in combat against other towns within their own city limits;
  • Hero and stronghold bonuses, improving the defense or capture of the heroes in the world.
  • For a full list of bonuses consult: Citizenship Bonuses

Preventing murderers from entering town, exiling a player?, decreasing restock timer and even reducing steal chance just hurts population and action. With this system I still see no reason for average people/guilds to join.

I removed those details shake, I thought about it and it's probably not a good idea to get people stirred up over something that hasn't happened yet. I'll let shane decide whether he wants to officially post the details or not.

Shake

Master
I removed those details shake, I thought about it and it's probably not a good idea to get people stirred up over something that hasn't happened yet. I'll let shane decide whether he wants to officially post the details or not.
Yea, you're right.

Depending on what rank you are should give additional gold drops, additional chance to earn a powerscroll (not 100% like it is) as an example. Guilds should be able to earn unique bonuses for themselves. PVMers could kill opposing faction monsters (I suggest adding alot of monsters to the existing ones) to gain bonuses/items as well. Capturing towns and holding them could give some sort of points to use as currency for special items. Atrophy would need to be tweaked and a limit of 1 faction per IP to reduce point farming.

Just throwing out ideas, but this gives a reason for PVMers to join and trying to gain rank/points. PVPers like POWER will have to come out and faction to gain their powerscroll bonus. Everyone wins.

Jani

Grandmaster
Nice to hear that your guild is joining to factions. Good attitude.

I believe the faction update is coming within 2 weeks. Also, I'd suggest joining CoM or Minax right now. Best luck and hopefully you enjoy!

Fattson

Grandmaster
I always thought "factioning for a cause" would have more value that just having an excuse to come talk trash on the forums. Like lower taxes on regs! I've considered starting a faction guild and using that as a recruiting platform. Alas, I'm too busy at the moment.

besttherewas

Grandmaster
Factions is dead, nothing will change it. Average or solo players cant compete vs the skyped stun zergs who are known to run the entire world if sosaria of it means gaining or not losing their 'precious' faction points.

Red v Blue accomodates all types, but reds are few and far between, coupled with a statloss system that is too harsh anywhere out of the brit zone (which as a red, you get the blue faction zergs, blue pvpers and randoms all ganging up on the few reds).

Unfortunately, player mentality is part to blame. We have 10 yr vets who would rather lose a finger irl than risk death on uo and loss of e-peen. Also given lower exp pot dmg, and/or bad players, most don't have the skill to win a pot chugging fight 1v1, so they call the zerg to stun/closest target like a newb.

48 hour statloss almost everywhere and 25k for instant statlossing just entices players to instant stat as a way of saying 'fuck u' for payback, since many hate death and want revenge, or zergling blue factioners hate losing points and buying new keyboards from rage fits, so they too instant stat, whilst whining about lack of pvp.

Then u gotta consider most players in separate guilds wont and dont work together, unless there is a red to gank and instant stat.

We're beating a dead horse. Factions just won't work in modern UO. Part blame on players, other is voice programs, clients causing the game to change from how we remember.

*sorry for typos, this was posted via samsung mini, these keys are small as fuck for my mcdonalds fingers.

I've already talked to other guild leaders of average PvE guilds, they are joining opposing factions for balance. Even if its us fighting them, factions will be what it used to. You dont need to involve the entire server in factions to make it a success, just get things balanced again.