RDA ramblings and Ideas

Messremb

Grandmaster
So im going to ramble on about RDAs for those who dont know much about them, going over some specifics and my experiences with them, then im going to cover the issues i have noticed, and i will end with some suggestions i have. if you just want to skip to the suggestions feel free i will try and make it obvious when i switch over.

to start with every 6ish hours 3 Random Dungeon Adventures (RDAs) spawn around the world in random locations. an additional gate to one of the RDAs will also spawn in the faction base of the faction that controls the Brit sigil. if the gates are not completed before the next round they despawn. there are a total of 6 different dungeons that can be spawned as one of the 3 RDAs (Dragon, Minotaur, Beetle, darkfather, lummox, and Locke Cole) i will go into more detail on them in just a sec. these RDAs can be tracked, but the range of tracking them is half of the range you normally track. basically the only way to find them is to get out there and look (with a tracker preferably).

my impressions of the dungeons

Dragon RDA, the Spawn is one of the easiest, the boss can really shell out some damage but 2 good tamers can take him, and probably 1 tamer with multiple attempts. (this RDA is great cause it has a chance to spawn a Chromactic Dragon, and the boss has about a 50% drop rate on Dragon eggs)

Minotaur RDA, only thing hard about this RDA is getting your foot in the door, because the area is small it can be a bit difficult but once in you can pretty much solo the whole thing including the boss.

Beetle RDA, Probably the easiest of all. only thing to watch out for here is the rock beetles that can out run you and cant be provoed. even the boss can be soloed on this one (the trick to this boss is not moving, he spits acid pools that only damage and poison you if you move.)

Darkfather RDA, pretty easy over all so long as you can keep from getting all the spawn on you at once (not always that easy) the boss could be soloed with multiple attempts but the fact that he spawns MOBs can make him rather annoying.

Lummox RDA, my personal least favorite, the dungeon is very small and has tons of very fast very deadly lummoxes in it, add that to the fact the the tentacles can spawn in locations that cover a 1/4 the area of the room, and it makes this the worst RDA to try and get your foot in the door. the boss on this RDA is one of the tougher bosses, and has the ability to do 40 damage to 3? random targets( never really counted) every 10 seconds or so.

Locke Cole RDA, one of the easiest RDAs for the spawn, the room is big and the MOBS can be provoed, making this one not to bad, however, this RDA has the most annoying Boss, Locke cole has 3 abilities, first he will split himself into several copies of himself and he cant be killed until all the copies are dead. luckily he can only do this once. Second ability, Ultima Attack, deals 50% Max health damage to all targets in a large area. Third ability, teleports around, when he hits he knocks health down to 10% and deals Deadly poison.

Why do the RDAs you ask, well for Meta Pet Relics. RDAs are supposed to be the best source of these relics, however, in the last monthish i have participated in an average of 3 RDA a day and only seen 1 Relic drop. most the time all we get is 1-2 junk PSs a few SSs, and a bunch of runes.

Some Issues as i see them

Knowing when the RDAs are up and if they are still up can be a pain, and often there is no way of knowing.

The biggest issue i have seen is the way too low drop rate on relics, i dont think every RDA should drop a relic but you shouldn't have to do 70+ RDAs to even get one. RDAs take a ton of work and should have high rewards.

Raiding RDAs is too easy, you can go in on blues and prevent the people doing the RDAs from getting set up to defend it (i.e. dispelling fields and EVs) and since they are already mostly at a disadvantage it tips the scaled in favor of those raiding every time.

Pets and EVs move too quickly when everyone is on foot in a small room with a one tile entrance and exit.

The faction RDA doesn't require you to be in factions to participate in it.

Suggestions

Add a RDA informant NPC to brit, that for 5-10k will tell you how many active RDA gates there are at that moment, but only that moment, to check again you must pay again. this will act as a gold sink that also help prevent people like me from wasting time when all the RDAs are done.

Increase relic drop rates for RDAs, i don't think it should be too high, but at least 10-20% is not to much to ask for as difficult as RDAs are to find and complete.

Make any person entering an RDA, after the boss has spawned, grey, this will allow blues to defend their RDA from the blue support chars reds use.

Slow down follower movement speed in RDAs.

Make the faction RDA a 4th RDA that only spawns in the faction base, that way if you want it you must participate in factions, and will most likely have to fight for it.

my last suggestion i am on the fence about, i was thinking it would be nice to make RDAs spawn every 4 hours not 6. this would mean more RDAs and thus more relics, this could also be an alternative to increasing the relic drop rate, but i still think it should be increased a little. my fear is if there are to many RDAs and too high a chance at relics, they will lose all their value.

Anyways these are my thoughts after a months worth of being an RDA hunter. i hope some of these changes are seen as valuable and added. thank for taking the time to read.

God.RG

Grandmaster
i always thought the "faction" rda would be factioners only. the current one is sorta lame and doesn't really add too much of an incentive to actually participate in factions.

Bromista

Grandmaster
i always thought the "faction" rda would be factioners only. the current one is sorta lame and doesn't really add too much of an incentive to actually participate in factions.
The location of the gate is arbitrary. The faction gate being enter able by any faction is quite frankly lame as shit. There is no incentive to cap the sigil at all because there is no benefit to the capping faction, which is unlike any other sigil. I petitioned for staff to change it but my suggestion fell on deaf ears.

The 4th "Faction RDA" is a great idea. OR instead of a "gate to a gate" in whichever base holds the sigils, the base should just HAVE the RDA inside. That would make too much sense too me. Would make for some fun as shit battles which is what the whole faction RDA thing was intended to do. There would still be very little benefit to the capping faction because nobody traps/defends their bases (little to no point unless a change like this is made) but again it's a step in the right direction. As it stands the faction gate takes 1/3 of the RDAs essentially out of the equation for the common players and smaller guilds who will get rolled by EQMS or $ who spend every minute of every day foaming at the mouth ready to spam all kill on anyone who enters.

Finding a gate in the wild only to discover it's a faction gate that some goobers are camping waiting for the boss to get low on health before they strike is probably a massive letdown for the more casual player.

EV's are an absolute joke on this server and do not at all behave the way the are supposed to in this era of UO. Making them not work at all in RDAs would be a great step in the right direction. Fixing them on overland would be good too but disallowing them entirely inside RDAs is almost essential in their current state.

Slight increase of relic drop or a new round of RDAs every four hrs instead of six. Either choice would be good, but not both.

I would venture to guess that the same four guilds are doing 85-90% of all RDAs. This is not good for the community. So my vote is for increasing the number of RDAs overall by making them every four hours instead of six and taking the faction gate out of the rotation.

@Shane @Adam @JoeB @eppy @Andre. there are some good ideas here and at least a few of them need implemented IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vince[Tharakus]

Grandmaster
I completely agree with @Messremb
Made very good precise points. Keeps my typing to a minimum.
Would love to see these changes made.
I(also my guild) do a lot of RDAs. And out of probably the 100 I've done, I've gotten one relic but countless of useless stuff.

Good stuff Mess! Thanks for taking the time to type this up.

FAMARA

Grandmaster
we got tons of relics out of rdas the drop rate is just fine. it doesnt take 90 rdas to get a relic. someone is getting them if u did 90 rdas. wether they told you or not.

the faction rda is kinda gay how it is . and could totally go for having it be faction only.

you should NEVER know how many rdas are up at once. rdas have good payout , we honestly dont need more help to make things easier for us.

thats my opinion.

go ahead and troll because i went against , having things handed to us.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I was wondering how long it would take Famara to make his mark here.

It was a good read (lol)

We have no trust issues in our guild. None. You and Barracoon both try to cause strife with your commentary and it is adorable. We just get the short end of the stick and have only been in a handful of RDAs that have dropped relics. I got my first relic IN MY PACK two days ago after well over 200 RDAs/champs since their inception. That doesn't mean they haven't been dropping for us at all. This is what is called anecdotal evidence. I do not expect you to understand what that means, but Google may be of some assistance to you.

Staff wants relics to be valuable, but not the be-all end-all of UO and they are not super satisfied with the drop rate. This is coming directly from Shane. So you can either get with the program, or lay down and take your defeat here because you have contributed nothing to the discussion besides agreeing with the faction RDA.

Oh. Boy.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Furthermore, we are talking about a member of a guild who camped the Warlock every day when it was on a static timer (which few knew) and has members who exploited the fuck out of logging out in RDAs for MONTHS...so of course you guys were able to stockpile relics that way. But your relic drops have dried up considerably since then which is plain for all to see.

Everyone else has had to work for what they have.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Most of the ideas in this thread are good.

p.s.

Make it so you should not be able to go into an RDA gate if you get flagged and have more than 1 murder count -- dont like it? Dont kill innocent players.

Messremb

Grandmaster
we got tons of relics out of rdas the drop rate is just fine. it doesnt take 90 rdas to get a relic. someone is getting them if u did 90 rdas. wether they told you or not.

the faction rda is kinda gay how it is . and could totally go for having it be faction only.

you should NEVER know how many rdas are up at once. rdas have good payout , we honestly dont need more help to make things easier for us.

thats my opinion.

First off nothing you stated here is an argument against any of my ideas. Apart from accusations, opinion, and simple disagreeing, your post doesn't provide anything. Do you have actual arguments for why no change is needed?

Also with a % based drop system it is totally possible to do 90 RDAs with no relic drops.

How does knowing how many RDAs are up make it easier? You still have to go out and track them to find them, then complete them. All it changes is to let you know if you can stop searching.

like I said I don't want relics to be super common, but currently the drop rate is so low that even seeing relics hit the forums is rare. I think an increase is in order, and I know many staff members agree.

Also, Bromista, please keep the flaming to a minimum in this thread, I want to keep it on track not have it devolve into a flame war.

Vince[Tharakus]

Grandmaster
How does knowing how many RDAs are up make it easier? You still have to go out and track them to find them, then complete them. All it changes is to let you know if you can stop searching.

This is the part I love the most. I don't mind taking the time to track but I would like to know if ones currently up to even be tracking.
But I support all your suggestions in the OP

Harry Berries

Grandmaster
First off nothing you stated here is an argument against any of my ideas. Apart from accusations, opinion, and simple disagreeing, your post doesn't provide anything. Do you have actual arguments for why no change is needed?

Also with a % based drop system it is totally possible to do 90 RDAs with no relic drops.

like I said I don't want relics to be super common, but currently the drop rate is so low that even seeing relics hit the forums is rare. I think an increase is in order, and I know many staff members agree.

Also, Bromista, please keep the flaming to a minimum in this thread, I want to keep it on track not have it devolve into a flame war.
If you guys have done 90+ rdas without a relic drop that is funny. People have got relics for sure. Pretty sure the drop rate is already 10%. Argue all you want but they do drop and people do get them.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I am in agreeance. There are members who have no business being part of the discussion that are posting without offering constructive input.

The rest of the community needs to know who has their best interest in mind, and who to disregard. There's a right way to do things and a wrong way.

Now that it's out in the open we should be smooth sailing from here out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry Berries

Grandmaster
The ratio of drops to the amount of people looking for them just doesn't add up IMO
What? That logic is mind blowing? Just because your looking doesn't mean you should be involved in the ratio. The ratio is done by rdas completed.. To get a drop you have to complete the rda? Are you saying they should do drop rates based on amount of people looking for them? If so... Well your high.

Messremb

Grandmaster
If you guys have done 90+ rdas without a relic drop that is funny. People have got relics for sure. Pretty sure the drop rate is already 10%. Argue all you want but they do drop and people do get them.
We have had 1 relic drop so I know for a fact they do. However I would bet the drop rate is closer to 5%. But arguing that is pointless as neither of us knows.

Kilike

Grandmaster

thats my opinion.

Your comment has less to do with "making things easier for us" and far more to do with less competition. Though I do disagree with being told how many are up at a given time. However like Whirlpools we should have an NPC that for 10k tells you When an RDA is up. Not how many, where, but that it is up.
Suggestion for it in my thread here: http://www.uoforum.com/threads/mega-suggestion-thread.62023/#post-431432