Promoting healthy and fun PvP

Lord Hampton Royce

Grandmaster
disrespecting loot bags of dead enemies has been drilled into my head tho
111803-Kenny-Powers-head-nod-gif-Imgu-pbtd.gif

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Easy solution to bolas and donation Ethies is to make it so bolas just slow u for 3s on an ethy and then you auto remount.

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
I really don't see the problem with "donation ethereal" being dismounted. They were typically used as a back up mount.
Great you paid to have a mount that does not die/never parts with you.
What's the first or last thing that happens when you get dismounted? The mount gets it worse than you did.

So what does this mean? You don't gotta keep buying a horse or ressing a horse.

chad

Master
If you're trying to encourage more players to PVP, pointing out the fact that when you die you loss everything might not be the best tactic?? I personally liked the era when it was a lottery as to what was left on your body at death. The winner got some good loot as a reward for the victory and every once in a while the looser rezed with their weapon and or enough regs to heal / recall out. :) Win, Win IMO.

As for the player carrying 176 potions... that's absolutely ********. There needs to be a reasonable cap on how many potions can be carried.

That era has never existed, ever.

I don't remember the exact wording, but basically. he had a post awhile back where he said he didn't like potions stacking, because the corpses pretty much looked bare *shrugs*. I could be wrong, but pretty sure he was the one who said something like that. *shrugs*

Any player that would be impressed by a bunch of single potions strewn about a corpse, will never actually see that because it's their first day of UO and they will learn within a week that 100 pots is equivalent to 2k gold, thus not actually being impressed when that day comes.

like i say if a person had 70 pots thats like 10 stacks of pots to be looted. people are more likely to pass up looting 70 single pots but would not be able to resist looting 10 stacks of pots.

So there you are wasting time looting stacks of pots when you could be saving that time and pvping and then running alcy afk overnite. Not to mention even more time wasted unloading and organizing said stacks of pots.

You're dumb. Really, really, fucking dumb.

thestand

Grandmaster
Pots unstacking on death makes me not even want to go back for my loot.
That loot bag is a grief bag now, they can waste their time with it. It's quicker to do a fresh restock. The [organizeme function is nice but a lot of the time it says "to many items in pack to organize".

chad

Master
Sure it was... It was around the same time as when you died in dungeons you couldn't re-enter for 20 minutes.

Ah, you're talking about when you died in a dungeon. Blues kept all their shit when they died and reds lost half their shit. Pretty sure that was put in to warm us up for the following patch. (Age of Shadows)

That shit sucked.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Ah, you're talking about when you died in a dungeon. Blues kept all their shit when they died and reds lost half their shit. Pretty sure that was put in to warm us up for the following patch. (Age of Shadows)

That shit sucked.

Could have been.... I only played a red then so maybe that's what I remember but I honestly thought it was the same for blues and reds??

CAPTUN AUSTRALIA

Grandmaster
Fix da dang lag too. My little ping number thingy go red all da time.

If uoforever can have us aussies running smooth, i don't understand why UOF can't.

As for stackable pots (again) - how about we propose they put in stackable pots (like uoforever) but give refund of dono coins (or choice of) for kids with butlers?

Stackable potions are a FAR better option than those butlers. Or maybe make it so i can donate for stackable pots lol

Garet Jax

Grandmaster
This server has a thriving PvE scene, but the PvP is abhorrent. However, I've seen the dedication and talent the staff have here and I'm confident with some healthy discussion and suggestion, it can be made great. These suggestions are what I would consider a jump in the proper direction.

1. Looting - this server is based on an era in which full loot was a selling point. You die, you lose everything. You kill someone and their shit is now your shit. On paper, that's fucking awesome. The reality of the situation though, is that you kill someone, and they have 176 potions on their corpse and unless you have autism, you're not picking it up. There isn't a single person who wants to spend 5 minutes looting every single thing off a corpse, then dragging it back to their lair to spend another 15 minutes carefully pouring each potion into a keg. MAKE POTIONS TRULY STACKABLE. You're not going to lose out on donations, or whatever. Butlers will still be convenience items. Just please, do this.

2. Spell damage - Yes, again, we're still trying to get this right. Great headway has been made with explosion and e-bolt, which are the bread and butter of group PvP, but there is more work to be done.
  • Magic arrow - This spell is so worthless, I only use spellbooks with 63 spells in them so that I can avoid accidentally using my macro for it. 1 damage on resist and 2-5 on non-resists is completely unacceptable. This spell is an integral part of 1v1 in this era. It's what I would refer to as a filler spell. It needs to do significant enough damage to prime yourself for a burst combo, ie; stun into ebolt/pot combo. But it can't be so hefty, that a solid defense can't heal through it. 5 minimum to 12 max would probably be a good start.
  • Harm - This spell isn't terrible, but it is inconsistent. I'm guessing the resist rate is something like 50% because it's a 5, then a 15, then a 5, then a 15. Rather than decrease how often it is resisted, I would suggest increasing the minimum damage when resisted to something like 8.
3. Explosion potions - Exp pot is 18-22 for mages with alchemy and 22-26 for dexers with alchemy. There's absolutely no kill potential as a mage against any decent player in a 1v1 scenario. Potion damage simply needs to be upped. I think a good starting point, would be to bring mages up to par with dexers at 22-26 (12-16 without alchemy)

4. Bolas - There has been talk about these as of late, but I want to stress their importance. I personally think they should be usable by anyone and on anyone, not just limited to faction members. Applying different rules for players whether they're hardcore PvPers(factions) or just dabble, seems counter productive in breeding a fun PvP environment. Their impact in PvP is not a slight one. They're a very powerful tool, but a necessary one to force conflict. Running until the person pursuing gets bored should not be a viable tactic. To inhibit their strength some, they should be limited to players who have 100 tactics + 100 weapon skill. It brings a new variety to group fights by allowing only tank mages and dexers to use them. Dexers are currently useless in fights greater than 4v4. Allowing them the ability to create chaos by bolaing and focusing down mounts gives them a unique and viable role.
  • Faction mounts - With the introduction of bolas, you can increase the importance of sigils and create objective based PvP. Faction mounts will come bonded when purchased, but if the faction loses control of the city in which they purchased the war horse, their war horses will unbond. Warhorses will recover more quickly from bolas. .5-1s instead of 2s.
I would so play again if all these got put into play!!!!!!!
DO EEET!

Blair

Master
1. Looting - this server is based on an era in which full loot was a selling point. You die, you lose everything. You kill someone and their shit is now your shit. On paper, that's fucking awesome. The reality of the situation though, is that you kill someone, and they have 176 potions on their corpse and unless you have autism, you're not picking it up. There isn't a single person who wants to spend 5 minutes looting every single thing off a corpse, then dragging it back to their lair to spend another 15 minutes carefully pouring each potion into a keg. MAKE POTIONS TRULY STACKABLE. You're not going to lose out on donations, or whatever. Butlers will still be convenience items. Just please, do this.

I understand where you are coming from and realize you are not alone in this line of thinking. However simply put, this is over my pay grade.

2. Spell damage - Yes, again, we're still trying to get this right. Great headway has been made with explosion and e-bolt, which are the bread and butter of group PvP, but there is more work to be done.
  • Magic arrow - This spell is so worthless, I only use spellbooks with 63 spells in them so that I can avoid accidentally using my macro for it. 1 damage on resist and 2-5 on non-resists is completely unacceptable. This spell is an integral part of 1v1 in this era. It's what I would refer to as a filler spell. It needs to do significant enough damage to prime yourself for a burst combo, ie; stun into ebolt/pot combo. But it can't be so hefty, that a solid defense can't heal through it. 5 minimum to 12 max would probably be a good start.
  • Harm - This spell isn't terrible, but it is inconsistent. I'm guessing the resist rate is something like 50% because it's a 5, then a 15, then a 5, then a 15. Rather than decrease how often it is resisted, I would suggest increasing the minimum damage when resisted to something like 8.
This is a sentiment shared by many and I've been aware of it for a while. I do think there are alternatives to using magic arrow so it's been low on the priority list of things to look into, but I will admit it does warrant at least some thought. However I'm not going to promise anything.

3. Explosion potions - Exp pot is 18-22 for mages with alchemy and 22-26 for dexers with alchemy. There's absolutely no kill potential as a mage against any decent player in a 1v1 scenario. Potion damage simply needs to be upped. I think a good starting point, would be to bring mages up to par with dexers at 22-26 (12-16 without alchemy)

Originally I wanted to increase explode damage across the board but felt with a 4s stun timer it would make alchy stun mages too strong. In an attempt to increase dexer participation and viability in group fights dexers got a damage bonus on their explode pots, however this didn't really happen and instead just made them even stronger 1v1. Now that mages have a 3s stun timer I understand it makes 1v1 much harder as a mage but that change was to help standardize explosion pot damage for everyone. I think from where we are now a good starting point would be 10-15 damage on explosion pots for mages and dexers alike. That being said a part of me thinks that it might not be bad to have explode pots do 10-20 damage, but with a lack of heal wands I think that a couple alchy mages spamming pots on someone at 0 mana cost doing 20-30 damage would be too oppressive.

Bolas - There has been talk about these as of late, but I want to stress their importance. I personally think they should be usable by anyone and on anyone, not just limited to faction members. Applying different rules for players whether they're hardcore PvPers(factions) or just dabble, seems counter productive in breeding a fun PvP environment. Their impact in PvP is not a slight one. They're a very powerful tool, but a necessary one to force conflict. Running until the person pursuing gets bored should not be a viable tactic. To inhibit their strength some, they should be limited to players who have 100 tactics + 100 weapon skill. It brings a new variety to group fights by allowing only tank mages and dexers to use them. Dexers are currently useless in fights greater than 4v4. Allowing them the ability to create chaos by bolaing and focusing down mounts gives them a unique and viable role.
  • Faction mounts - With the introduction of bolas, you can increase the importance of sigils and create objective based PvP. Faction mounts will come bonded when purchased, but if the faction loses control of the city in which they purchased the war horse, their war horses will unbond. Warhorses will recover more quickly from bolas. .5-1s instead of 2s.
As far as bolas and wands are concerned the community seems to be split pretty heavily. While I understand and value the importance of bolas and wands I also understand why a lot of people are against them. There would have to be a well thought out system for bolas and wands to make them appropriate for this server, and probably a significant amount of coding and testing to make sure everything was working as intended. So IF these things were to be implemented it wouldn't be any time soon. (as far as I know)

Last edited by a moderator:

Deriz

Grandmaster
I'm wearing barbed leather without the cap, that's like 26 AR. I get hit for around 20+ damage, but the swings are fast and i'm getting hit by 25 dmg purples every 4 to 5 seconds. All while paralyzed.

On the other hand i can never kill dexers that like to offscreen (which is 100% of them, and rightfully so), because now stun fails A LOT and even when you hit it, it only barely lasts 3 seconds

I am fairly sure damage is done based on where you are hit. So if no cap is worn and you are hit in the head it will do full damage. Could be wrong though it may not be like that on this server

NoXXeD

Grandmaster
I understand where you are coming from and realize you are not alone in this line of thinking. However simply put, this is over my pay grade.

This is a sentiment shared by many and I've been aware of it for a while. I do think there are alternatives to using magic arrow so it's been low on the priority list of things to look into, but I will admit it does warrant at least some thought. However I'm not going to promise anything.

Originally I wanted to increase explode damage across the board but felt with a 4s stun timer it would make alchy stun mages too strong. In an attempt to increase dexer participation and viability in group fights dexers got a damage bonus on their explode pots, however this didn't really happen and instead just made them even stronger 1v1. Now that mages have a 3s stun timer I understand it makes 1v1 much harder as a mage but that change was to help standardize explosion pot damage for everyone. I think from where we are now a good starting point would be 10-15 damage on explosion pots for mages and dexers alike. That being said a part of me thinks that it might not be bad to have explode pots do 10-20 damage, but with a lack of heal wands I think that a couple alchy mages spamming pots on someone at 0 mana cost doing 20-30 damage would be too oppressive.

As far as bolas and wands are concerned the community seems to be split pretty heavily. While I understand and value the importance of bolas and wands I also understand why a lot of people are against them. There would have to be a well thought out system for bolas and wands to make them appropriate for this server, and probably a significant amount of coding and testing to make sure everything was working as intended. So IF these things were to be implemented it wouldn't be any time soon. (as far as I know)

NO wants NO Bolas!!! Already been stated. Just drop the shit. This would only be used by Script kidides like Males, LHR, Marely, Aga, and the like