People abusing the "young" player status

amonseti

Grandmaster
Actually I think Don is confused on what legendary slayer armor is.
Invulnerable armor is neither legendary or slayer.
Slayer armor is very expensive difficult armor to craft that requires a special anvil worth 200k+
Recipes from Gargoyal alchamist which no longer spawns . and rare item drops used in the crafting process.
Even vets dont have legendary slayer armor and im one of them included never owned a set and i dont see myself being able to afford a set anytime soon.

As for obtaining invuln armor the best method is T-chests even level 1 T-chests have good chance at Invuln armor.

Don I think you are still relativly new, this server is unlike most and very very diffrent from osi .
We all agree that "Young" status is broken and needs an overhaul . perhaps having CP points contribute to the exparation of young status .

Dig'em

Grandmaster
Well, some of these youngs are out with their friends that are showing them the game, I took my friend out the other night who's never played before after we trained some of her skills, just to try and get her interested. We ran into some people saying we were abusing the young status, even after I explained this person has NEVER played. We just called it quits and continued showing her around the basic crap. Idk, it's so hard to tell the difference between a true young player or someone abusing, unless you track ips

Bunnky

Grandmaster
Idk, it's so hard to tell the difference between a true young player or someone abusing, unless you track ips
This is why a system for keeping them in brit/brit gy along with the newbie dungeon is needed. Wanna go out with your friends? Renounce status. I mean hey, you got your friends as backup. There should be no reason this couldn't work.

girana

Grandmaster
Well, some of these youngs are out with their friends that are showing them the game, I took my friend out the other night who's never played before after we trained some of her skills, just to try and get her interested. We ran into some people saying we were abusing the young status, even after I explained this person has NEVER played. We just called it quits and continued showing her around the basic crap. Idk, it's so hard to tell the difference between a true young player or someone abusing, unless you track ips

there is a diffrent between a young running around with a vet together digging tmaps an shit or one young digging a lvl 6 alone

Dig'em

Grandmaster
This is why a system for keeping them in brit/brit gy along with the newbie dungeon is needed. Wanna go out with your friends? Renounce status. I mean hey, you got your friends as backup. There should be no reason this couldn't work.

Well, she's never played uo before, it's hard to keep someone interested In this game if they've never played it, I wanted to show her somee exciting stuff before tbey have to sit and macro for 40 hrs, and the newbie dungeon may be the most boring thing ever lol

agauo

Master
2ff3cdea83.jpg

doing tmaps as young player

Last edited by a moderator:

agauo

Master
5aab1d0690.jpg

123aa91247.jpg

this is peoples attitudes towards young player status. definitely needs some changing. UO needs some form of risk vs reward. There is very little risk to this and farming in general with the current state of things.

Don Key

Master
You could move the newbie dungeon to Occlo. And force players to renounce the young player status to leave Occlo.

I hope this is priority #1 for the admins. Along with changing the poker idea. Anything that takes player interaction out of the game should be revamped. IMO.

SidX

Grandmaster
...along with changing the poker idea. Anything that takes player interaction out of the game should be revamped. IMO.
I thought poker was a good addition in the beginning but I see the same people there all day and night.. literally I've seen some people at the WBB poker table for like 10 hours straight, all day, every day. These are people I would always see farming in dungeons, etc., but they now realize that there is 20x more gold to be made playing poker. It's becoming an addiction for so many people. I see lines of 8+ people waiting at the table for someone to get eliminated, and within 2 secs of a spot opening up it's taken. All of these players who used to be out in the world are now camping the poker tables waiting in line.

It is a great addition and I think it should be kept in UOF, but maybe it should be inactive once in a while or "closed" should it be moved to a poker house somewhere in a city.

Highly unlikely we'll ever see this since poker is such a good gold sink, though.

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
They (we) were addicted to poker before it came here ;)

Phylyn Rahl, Eugene the Weak, Mysthran, Mysthrana, Norah Winehouse, StevieRayVaughan, VFingerDiscount

siquaba

Expert
I mentioned something about this during beta..
Simple remove young players and problem solved. Yes some players could use it, but its a higher percent of players abusing the young system, then who actually use it the correct way. If you wanna be young i think you should have to stick to new player dungeon. a young player should not be killing champs, doing t-maps, and killing hard mobs. We all know which dungeon is more for newer players, like shame. Hell even setting it to a skill base, once past 60-70 in any skill, young player status is removed. very easy fix, but its looked upon.

For poker, who cares if people want to sit there for 10 hours, its what they like. Putting poker on "pause" wont solve anything, they will just wait for it to come back. I don't really see how people playing poker causes you problems on the shard. Who wants to go dungeon crawling and get ganked by 10 reds and get called a newb o_O, when they can just poker for a few hours and get the gold they need to buy what ever it is they wanted.; if they win that is.

Don Key

Master
Who wants to go dungeon crawling and get ganked by 10 reds and get called a newb o_O, when they can just poker for a few hours and get the gold they need to buy what ever it is they wanted.; if they win that is.

THIS.

This is exactly why poker sucks, imo. It takes people out of the game.

wil3ur

Grandmaster
I dunno what any of ya'll are talking about. I've been here about a year off and on, never even seen a champion spawn and no clue where to find them. I have a GM crafter but have no idea how to make slayer armor... I've done slayer weapons before.

tader

Expert
Two things. I just lost my young status 2 weeks ago. Most of the dungeons I went into monsters would attack me. I even got a message saying so when I entered. The only 2 exceptions were the one north of brit(shame?) and the newbie. The only advantage I had was u could not be poisoned. Champ spawns should be the same way. I never went to on though I found one by accident though there was nothing going on.
2. young status is insanely long. Like 53 hours played long. That should be toned down a lot. 24 hours played is plenty to get a grasp. Or 24 young and maybe 24 newbie status. Make newbie status a protection from pks but npc are full ago and you loose stuff if you die.

I did enjoy my young status I got to sadly watch an idoc and while I could have looted some stuff I respected that wouldn't be fair. Got to talk to some reds that couldn't tired try attack me. Was a good time.

Dahee

Apprentice
I don't like the idea of trapping newbies in one spot... There's a shard that I don't play because they decided it was a good idea to lock newbies up on Ocllo, which means it's not safe for me to go try to hang out with my friends until I've worked my skills up high enough. This wouldn't be as much of a problem here because skill gain is so fast, (at least when you macro) but it would still be a pain.

I do like the idea of locking youngs out of champs - if I remember correctly from when I was young, you can't go into the RDA portals while young. Another idea could be to let monsters attack young status players in certain areas like champs or Tmap areas.

SidX

Grandmaster
I don't like the idea of trapping newbies in one spot... There's a shard that I don't play because they decided it was a good idea to lock newbies up on Ocllo, which means it's not safe for me to go try to hang out with my friends until I've worked my skills up high enough. This wouldn't be as much of a problem here because skill gain is so fast, (at least when you macro) but it would still be a pain.

I do like the idea of locking youngs out of champs - if I remember correctly from when I was young, you can't go into the RDA portals while young. Another idea could be to let monsters attack young status players in certain areas like champs or Tmap areas.
That's stupid to lock players in Ocllo, whatever shard does that is making a big mistake. Half of the fun in UO is adventuring. I agree that Young players shouldn't be locked into one area. They should be free to explore the world.. but if they're going to venture into the more dangerous areas there should be consequences where Young players aren't protected (i.e. maybe just limit it to dungeons, champ spawns and Buc's FFA). They can get a taste for those areas if they want but should come back later when they're ready.

What about even adding a small champ-type spawn to the newbie dungeon? That way new players can get a taste of how it feels to take on a champ.

I dunno what any of ya'll are talking about. I've been here about a year off and on, never even seen a champion spawn and no clue where to find them. I have a GM crafter but have no idea how to make slayer armor... I've done slayer weapons before.

Champs are in most dungeons at the end, kind of like "dungeon bosses". You can find out where they are here:

http://www.uoguide.com/Champion_Spawns

Obviously the "Mondain's Legacy", "Samurai Empire", etc. ones aren't here but you can get the idea of how they work.