New wood+Fletching

Kemi'Kalz

Grandmaster
I love the idea behind this, its amazing.

However what i don't like is the fact that it takes SO long to harvest the wood and you have such a small chance of creating a magically bow, never mind making one with a slayer attached to it i just don't find it worth it.

Getting to 120 LJ and GM fletching takes a while, never mind the amount of money involved, then the time you have to put into harvesting.

At gm fletching i still fail to create exceptional bows maybe 1/7 times, i would never even CONSIDER making a xbow or heavy xbow with good grade wood because of the fact your not only very likely to fail at exceptional but also the chance you have of making a weapon worth anything is to smalll.

I think this should be looked into and adjusted.

In 6 hours of farming wood then crafting at the crafters guild, i came up with 2 bows i would deem worthy of even using.

Sadly enough neither were made from frost or blood.

I think the magical properties chance needs to be increased dramatically or come up with a way to enchant a fletching kit to give you a better chance.

105, 110, 115, 120 LJ PS cost me almost 500k total and i got good deals on them from friends.
Then another 20 LJ SS's which if i hadn't had such awesome friends would of cost me a buttload too.
Just to break even i would honestly say i would have to put in over 100+ hours of harvesting wood.

In total, to get to 120 LJ your looking at over half a mill, then harvesting and crafting all takes time.

Honestly the rate its at right now is disappointing, and i personally wont continue to use my time harvesting.
I just cant justify the time it takes to craft a good bow when i could literally make 250k-350k farming in that time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monaco

Apprentice
Finding myself also very unmotivated to keep doing LJ/fletching. :(

I am fairly new to the shard so I don't even have the funds to go to 120LJ and get all the SS necessary, but I'm already thinking it's kind of a waste of time, compared to how much money I could make in the meantime and buy all the bows I need at a fraction of the price.

amonseti

Grandmaster
this is the balance fletchers get because bod runics are not needed to create magical Bows.. I think the system is fair the way it is IMHO ..

Tbh, fletching has needed a bit of a buff for awhile. Colored material was supposed to be the answer to that. I feel like it only made it worse.

You have to use soo many logs to get a decent bow, that the price to recooperate what you have spent, you mines well just buy a magic bow. Now will increasing the slayer chance solve this? I don't think so, because it would also most likely increase the slayer chance on blacksmith weapons as well. The only answer in my mind is runics.

amonseti

Grandmaster
But I do agree farming rare woods is tedious as fuck. and a bit of a game burnout , which can be risky for server longevity. I like the random serpants that pop from time to time to break the tediom . but I dont think it is enough . id like to see them add those woodland tree'ents we saw in the zombie event, or in some RDA i beleave , and make them harvestable for woods . personally i think it would be neat if while chopping a tree these guys would pop like the serpants but in tiered succsesion IE

player chops at a tree and randomly activates a tree'ent assult.
First a standard wood tree'ent spawns .
After the standard tree'ent is killed the next tree'ent an oak tree'ent spawns .
Once the oak tree'ent is killed the next tree ent spawns.. continuing until a
frost tree'ent spawns and is killed ..
once the frost tree'ent is killed this would spawn a mini boss say a dryad (special pixie) or a greenpeace activist
that when defeated has a chance to drop a lumberjacking related rare or something.

The difficulty of each tree'ent increase from easy for standard to difficult for frost . and of coarse the Dryad would be most difficult.
also each tree'ent would have there own respective logs on there corpse as loot , or can be harvested by chopping the tree'ent corpse.

possibly could also add a special torch to gold vendors that when used on a tree'ent would instantly burn any tree'ent to ash, stopping the assult for those people whom wish to just bypass this. torching a tree'ent would distroy it and its corpse leaving nothing to be looted.

Last edited by a moderator:

amonseti

Grandmaster
Tbh, fletching has needed a bit of a buff for awhile. Colored material was supposed to be the answer to that. I feel like it only made it worse.

You have to use soo many logs to get a decent bow, that the price to recooperate what you have spent, you mines well just buy a magic bow. Now will increasing the slayer chance solve this? I don't think so, because it would also most likely increase the slayer chance on blacksmith weapons as well. The only answer in my mind is runics.

Runics are not good because only the the very lucky have the ability / opertunity to make nice weapons ... the system as is gives everyone the same oppertunitys if they put some work into it.

But I do agree farming rare woods is tedious as fuck. and a bit of a game burnout , which can be risky for server longevity. I like the random serpants that pop from time to time to break the tediom . but I dont think it is enough . id like to see them add those woodland tree'ents we saw in the zombie event, or in some RDA i beleave , and make them harvestable for woods . personally i think it would be neat if while chopping a tree these guys would pop like the serpants but in tiered succsesion IE

player chops at a tree and randomly activates a tree'ent assult.
First a standard wood tree'ent spawns .
After the standard tree'ent is killed the next tree'ent an oak tree'ent spawns .
Once the oak tree'ent is killed the next tree ent spawns.. continuing until a
frost tree'ent spawns and is killed ..
once the frost tree'ent is killed the would spawn a mini boss say a dryad (special pixie)
that when defeated has a chance to drop a lumberjacking related rare or something.

The difficulty of each tree'ent increase from easy for standard to difficult for frost . and of coarse the Dryad would be most difficult.
also each tree'ent would have there own respective logs on there corpse as loot , or can be harvested by chopping the tree'ent corpse.

possibly could also add a special torch to gold vendors that when used on a tree'ent would burn the tree'ent up stopping the assult for those people whom wish to just bypass this. torching a tree'ent would distroy it and its corpse leaving nothing to be looted.
I like this idea, but it sounds a lot like a gargoyle's pickaxe. Maybe make it a runic reward instead of something that happens EVERY time. Some people feel hacking at the tree is tedious enough, let alone have a mini-rda pop up every time you hack a tree.

Runics are not good because only the the very lucky have the ability / opertunity to make nice weapons ... the system as is gives everyone the same oppertunitys if they put some work into it.
How is it the very lucky? Most runicss I have gotten I have had to buy BODs to get them. It takes months, even years to collect enough BODs to get a high-end runic on your own. Yes, luck is involved because the "spawn" is random, but I would hardly call anyone who got a val runic after a year of collecting BODs "lucky."

amonseti

Grandmaster
How is it the very lucky? Most runicss I have gotten I have had to buy BODs to get them. It takes months, even years to collect enough BODs to get a high-end runic on your own. Yes, luck is involved because the "spawn" is random, but I would hardly call anyone who got a val runic after a year of collecting BODs "lucky."
Read what you just wrote again .. in there you will discover where the luck is.. The system does not hand out val runic giving bods very often.. so only that guy who got luck toe get them all, or who is stupidly rich has opertunity . Which is actually unfair, to the other 300+ crafters on the server .

Right now, only the "lucky" get a decent bow anyways. Its still completely random. So it comes down to whoever has the most gold to throw on materials (the extremely rich,) or can no life UOF to collect wood all day can make decent weapons anyway. How is that any different from the runic idea?

At least with runics, there can be a semi-set price (the cost of a kit,) and hopefully the weapons will be above average so they will actually be WORTH the prices people are charging. I collect enough magic bows t-mapping that its pointless for me to chop wood and make them.

eppy

Grandmaster
Sure its not a perfect system but when you craft 5-6k bows a day you cant have the rate be very high. 1k frostwood gives you 160~ chances at a perfect slayer bow. I agree that lumberjacking is tedious but its not super bad. I can get 1000 logs pretty quickly and with a few serpents.

amonseti

Grandmaster
I like this idea, but it sounds a lot like a gargoyle's pickaxe. Maybe make it a runic reward instead of something that happens EVERY time. Some people feel hacking at the tree is tedious enough, let alone have a mini-rda pop up every time you hack a tree.
ohh no not everytime no no .. infact it would be realativly uncommon .

amonseti

Grandmaster
Right now, only the "lucky" get a decent bow anyways. Its still completely random. So it comes down to whoever has the most gold to throw on materials (the extremely rich,) or can no life UOF to collect wood all day can make decent weapons anyway. How is that any different from the runic idea?

At least with runics, there can be a semi-set price (the cost of a kit,) and hopefully the weapons will be above average so they will actually be WORTH the prices people are charging. I collect enough magic bows t-mapping that its pointless for me to chop wood and make them.

yeah in the end both systems are very similar .. either way if you want faster results you need to spend more then what you get .. the prices for high end runic bods also can not be recovered ..
in the big picture you are actually comparing apples to apples . and dont even know it.

Sure its not a perfect system but when you craft 5-6k bows a day you cant have the rate be very high. 1k frostwood gives you 160~ chances at a perfect slayer bow. I agree that lumberjacking is tedious but its not super bad. I can get 1000 logs pretty quickly and with a few serpents.
Honestly, I have GM in every crafting skill. The only reason I make weapons for myself is runics. I will make my own armor, deco, and instruments. I will NOT make my own bows, nor do I buy crafted bows. Its just not worth it. The only reason I even use flecthing is to make arrows...

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
What do you guys suggest?
-Increase amount of wood while harvesting
-Add chance of 2-3 magic properties instead of just 1
-Some other idea

Devs need/want specific suggestions, not just complaints that something isn't working and a "here, you fix it" approach. Just prodding the issue along, not being a jerk

Kemi'Kalz

Grandmaster
-Add chance of 2-3 magic properties instead of just 1, I like this idea,

I also think that the wood needs to be more readily available, mining certain color ingots is pretty damn easy, grab a book recall to a certain amount of locations and within 30-45mins you have the colored ingots you need.
(maybe not to fill a BOD but more then enough to craft what you want)

-Personally i think that when you craft a slayer bow, magical properties should be attached to it.

-I also think there should be a type of gloves somehow crafted by a tailor that would increase your fletching skill by 3 or 5.

-Also maybe there could be some item added to increase your rate of getting the right type of wood your looking for.

Kemi'Kalz

Grandmaster
You have a chance at all 3 magic properties already.
ok maybe you didnt read my original post be it was TL;DR

I put in 6 hours of farming wood, plus the time it took to craft the bows yielding is 2 bows i would EVER bother using.

So lets say 7 hours of work, for 2 bows
In 1 hour of farming i can make enough money to buy at least 8 bows i would use.

It just plain and simple needs to be adjusted, but typically things newly implemented need to be adjusted there are good suggestions in this thread so far.