Most Annoying Thief?!

Bromista

Grandmaster
Are we saying the same thing? Thieving is too easy in its current state and is busted in that regard, even if it is largely a waste of time (as far as earning potential) it still needs to be slowed down considerably.

Drake Roberts

Grandmaster
Finch is right, on OSI Pre-Tram, stealing revealed you the moment you activated the skill and you had to wait 10 seconds to use another skill.

Also stealth had a limited number of steps and had to be reactivated when they ran out. you also had to wait after hiding before you could begin to stealth.

these are pre tram rules, the UO you laud, and claim to love. yet you throw a fit when anyone suggests they change the current (Thief Tram) back to fel.

You sir are a trammy,

You say all this all the while gladly using (and ignoring the fact that we have) the docks as a safe haven (trammel zone) for trading.. Not to mention the fact that most zones like the champ spawns, have such a small "no recall" zone, that people can literally recall out the moment they get anything of value.. Or the fact that on this server, you can Fucking use items that are inside of a locked and Gm tinkered trapped box without setting it off or having to unlock it. Making it literally impossible to steal from within that box... Crying about Stealth timers?? There is 0 Tracking that can negate GM Hiding/Stealth (200 skill points < 0 Skill Points)..

If you are going to try to talk shit, don't ignore all the fucking safe guards that are in place here, that can make a person practically thief proof.. Unless you are a fucking * or more likely, lazy as fuck.

Finch

Apprentice
Yes, thieving is too easy in it's current state.

No, it is not a waste of time, to a select few of us. There's a reason there's a small cult following of people who play thieves exclusively, and we're typically very rich. If you know what you're doing, and thieve beyond simply stealing something and running away, you can be extremely successful.

I also disagree that too many thieves (and PKs) doesn't result in people quitting, it does.

I personally sold my OSI account for thousands of dollars because of the wealth I built entirely from thieving.

I've also made many... many people quit.

Finch

Apprentice
You say all this all the while gladly using (and ignoring the fact that we have) the docks as a safe haven (trammel zone) for trading.. Not to mention the fact that most zones like the champ spawns, have such a small "no recall" zone, that people can literally recall out the moment they get anything of value.. Or the fact that on this server, you can Fucking use items that are inside of a locked and Gm tinkered trapped box without setting it off. Making it literally impossible to steal from within that box... Crying about Stealth timers?? There is 0 Tracking that can negate GM Hiding/Stealth (200 skill points < 0 Skill Points)..

If you are going to try to talk shit, don't ignore all the fucking safe guards that are in place here, that can make a person practically thief proof.. Unless you are a fucking * or more likely, lazy as fuck.

I completely agree with this, as well. All of those things are equally ridiculous. Anything and everything to do with thieving on this shard is completely broken. They tried to reinvent the wheel, and failed miserably. I like this shard, but as far as thieves go... it's just a silly mess.

Thieves in this era weren't broken at all, so why did they try to fix them?

Drake Roberts

Grandmaster
Yes, thieving is too easy in it's current state.
Read my post above. There is so many Trammel safe guards put in to prevent thieving. People are simply either ******** as fuck.. Or they are too lazy to safe guard themselves and be on their toes. Seriously.. There is the docks. Around champ spawns, the no recall zone is smaller than OSI, making it easy to recall out the moment you get a PS. Same goes with getting an animal taming SS.. or what have you. There are ways to negate 200 skill points devoted to stealth and hiding using 0 skill points with a simple razor 10 second tracking loop as you hunt or if you're at a spawn. There is the ability to use items like regs and potions and even deposit gold from within a locked box, without unlocking it.. The list goes on and on... And in all honesty... The list could stop at #1, the docks trammel trading zone, and that would already be enough to balance any ability that thieves have on this server.

EDIT: They probably gave thieves a couple boosts on this era for the reasons I've listed above..

And I don't mind.. I like the challenges they've presented my thief as I've played here.. I felt like that is my impact on the game that I made.. Especially when it came to champ spawns.. It became much more challenging, once changes came to coon and how he would act and react to the players.. People used to just bunch up on the ledge and I could have everyone's packs open.. and they would box themselves in with summoned demons.. So I could literally prime a steal when coon would get redlined.. Hold it for 10 seconds with everyone's pack open.. and just click on the first two scrolls I would see drop into packs.. People are so dumb... this went on for a while.. and people cried nerf... The problem wasn't me though.. The problem was how ******** people were... They kept bunching up on the ledge.. Changes literally had to be made to coon to get people to move the fuck around... and spread out.. I enjoyed the challenge though.. And tried to fight for a system that would be fair and balanced for everyone involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finch

Apprentice
All of these combined changes just don't make any sense at all. It's like they wanted to make it so that you're either completely guaranteed to make a steal upon success, or have no chance at all.

There's no middle ground. It's ridiculous. Put it back the way OSI had it during the ren era.

Drake Roberts

Grandmaster
There's no middle ground. It's ridiculous. Put it back the way OSI had it during the ren era.

Yeah on OSI, during this era, there was never any trammel safe zone trading area. You also couldn't use items that were inside of a trapped/locked box. The no recall zone at champ spawns was much larger.. etc.. etc..

Finch

Apprentice
It's just silly. They took a system that created the most absolutely creative and diverse playstyle around, that is loads of fun to play, and for no reason at all started screwing with it in these bizarre ways.

As the saying goes "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

Messremb

Grandmaster
You say all this all the while gladly using (and ignoring the fact that we have) the docks as a safe haven (trammel zone) for trading.. Not to mention the fact that most zones like the champ spawns, have such a small "no recall" zone, that people can literally recall out the moment they get anything of value.. Or the fact that on this server, you can Fucking use items that are inside of a locked and Gm tinkered trapped box without setting it off or having to unlock it. Making it literally impossible to steal from within that box... Crying about Stealth timers?? There is 0 Tracking that can negate GM Hiding/Stealth (200 skill points < 0 Skill Points)..

I agree 100%. the problem is, they cant change any one thing right now without unbalancing the whole system. it would take changes to several skills and other areas of the game to make all this stuff balanced. I think it would be great if they fixed tracking and removed the docks, so long as they also fix stealing and stealth.

basically it comes down to this. right now they cant change any one of the several broken things without severely unbalancing the game in one direction or the other.

Unless they have time to overhaul all the mentioned issues, they should just leave it alone.

Finch

Apprentice
no, because the current situation is just ridiculous. it would take literally an hour to fix all of them.

Fix hiding/stealth/stealing timers.

add stealth steps.

remove trammel zones

require a minimum of 21 tracking to track hidden players.

it's not hard at all. current system is silly and broken. fix it.

no, because the current situation is just ridiculous. it would take literally an hour to fix all of them.

Fix hiding/stealth/stealing timers.

add stealth steps.

remove trammel zones

require a minimum of 21 tracking to track hidden players.

it's not hard at all. current system is silly and broken. fix it.
Hear that GMs? You can do it all in a hour, LOL. ^^ complete fucking moron

Finch

Apprentice
Hey, look who came back to argue about things he's not qualified to argue about! Tell me, MrImportant, do you even know what language this shard is coded with?

Don't worry, we'll wait for you to google it.

Finch is right, on OSI Pre-Tram, stealing revealed you the moment you activated the skill and you had to wait 10 seconds to use another skill.

Also stealth had a limited number of steps and had to be reactivated when they ran out. you also had to wait after hiding before you could begin to stealth.

these are pre tram rules, the UO you laud, and claim to love. yet you throw a fit when anyone suggests they change the current (Thief Tram) back to fel.

You sir are a trammy,
If we are going to go with OSI standards, there was no safe trammel trading zone and you sure as hell couldnt use a locked box because you couldnt access the shit that was in there. They have given you all more ways to not get stolen from than you can even think of. If you value your shit, keep it in the bank. Its just that simple. Unlike you sir, I would agree, lets go straight fel and go back to the original ways, including a no trammel safe trading area or for that matter trade windows. "Trammy" out.

Gedron

Master
Remove all safe zones (use a vendor to make your high dollar trades)
Need tracking skill to actually track
Can't use items inside locked boxes (kind of a no brainer there)
Stealing reveals you
Standard skill cool down timer starts upon steal attempt before you can use any other skill (just as every other skill is)
Stealth steps count and you must reuse stealth each time you exhaust your steps
Cannot use bank for 120 seconds after a successful steal

I think these are very reasonable changes for both sides of this argument.

Finch

Apprentice
.... jesus christ, bringing up the stealing target doesn't reveal you, either? and you can insta bank?

wow. It seems like the staff here have never played thieves, and felt they were lifting unfair restrictions... holy hell were they wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: