Most Annoying Thief?!

Finch

Apprentice
Needs balance. Should be a risk for thieves.

Stat loss?

Grey to everyone for extended period of time?

8mil in 2 weeks. F* me. I hope that was in a dungeon at least, if not then it is absolutely OP.

Thieves are the only class that can be thwarted 100% with a 50 gp purchase... they are balanced.

If you don't want your stuff stolen, then get a lock box, and don't let your stuff get stolen... It's not rocket science.

Drake Roberts

Grandmaster
and people actually complain about that? It should absolutely be a 10 second delay.
There is a 10 second delay.. It starts the moment you queue your steal cursor to come up. You can simply hold your steal for 10 or more seconds and then steal.. and steal again.. or hide..

And as to Saint of Pain's question/comment.. There is only ghetto Ninjitsu on this server. Cast teleport and have a friend cast invis on you.. You can then stealth around and teleport at any time and continue stealthing..

Finch

Apprentice
There is a 10 second delay.. It starts the moment you queue your steal cursor to come up. You can simply hold your steal for 10 or more seconds and then steal.. and steal again.. or hide..

And as to Saint of Pain's question/comment.. There is only ghetto Ninjitsu on this server. Cast teleport and have a friend cast invis on you.. You can then stealth around and teleport at any time and continue stealthing..

I know what you mean. It's a flaw in the runUO code, and was not the way stealing ever worked on OSI. The 10 second timer is supposed to start after the attempted steal, not the queue, and for good reason...

I know what you mean. It's a flaw in the runUO code, and was not the way stealing ever worked on OSI. The 10 second timer is supposed to start after the attempted steal, not the queue, and for good reason...
This isnt OSI, and for good reason. This is based on the old days, if you cant take the heat gtfo the server. When a thief steals they are get guard wacked and must wait upto 125 secs just to get a res. Then when they are ressed they get killed by the person who they stole from for another 125sec delay in getting resed. Over 4 minutes of not playing for a unsuccessful steal. If there were stat loss, ontop of not getting to play for 4 minutes, itd be fkin pointless to be a thief.

Finch

Apprentice
This isnt OSI, and for good reason. This is based on the old days, if you cant take the heat gtfo the server. When a thief steals they are get guard wacked and must wait upto 125 secs just to get a res. Then when they are ressed they get killed by the person who they stole from for another 125sec delay in getting resed. Over 4 minutes of not playing for a unsuccessful steal. If there were stat loss, ontop of not getting to play for 4 minutes, itd be fkin pointless to be a thief.

I've played a thief as my main character since T2A days on osi, I know how they work, and I know their potential.

You can not allow a quarter second between steals because it basically guarantees a successful steal, unless you're a compete fool.

If you don't want to get guard whacked, don't steal in guard zones... You can obtain masses of wealth in literally moments as a thief, that's something that needs to be regulated heavily... "The old days" weren't about "heat." They were about balance and economics. The problem is that they started to cater more to the gentle players than the more predatorial players, like PKs and thieves, and it resulted in the terrible game it is today. If you cater to thieves and PKs in the same way, it because an equally terrible game, but just a different kind. Thus, the idea is to find a balance between the 2, and allowing thieves 2 shots at stealing a 1million gold item in the course of 1 second is obviously fucking not balanced, and to argue otherwise is foolish.

No, you should not be able to steal an item, then disappear into thin air all in the same second.

No, you should not be awarded 2 shots in 1 second at stealing something (almost completely negating fail rates that stealing was designed to have).

Again, obvious. Terrible design. Broken. Obvious. As someone who likely more experience as a thief, who has played thieves exclusively for, what? 15 years or so, I can say with no bias what so ever, that anything less than a 10 second delay after the act of attempted/successful theft is absolutely terribly unbalanced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkarna

Grandmaster
I've played a thief as my main character since T2A days on osi, I know how they work, and I know their potential.

You can not allow a quarter second between steals because it basically guarantees a successful steal, unless you're a compete fool.

If you don't want to get guard whacked, don't steal in guard zones... You can obtain masses of wealth in literally moments as a thief, that's something that needs to be regulated heavily... "The old days" weren't about "heat." They were about balance and economics. The problem is that they started to cater more to the gentle players than the more predatorial players, like PKs and thieves, and it resulted in the terrible game it is today. If you cater to thieves and PKs in the same way, it because an equally terrible game, but just a different kind. Thus, the idea is to find a balance between the 2, and allowing thieves 2 shots at stealing a 1million gold item in the course of 1 second is obviously fucking not balanced, and to argue otherwise is foolish.

No, you should not be able to steal an item, then disappear into thin air all in the same second.

No, you should not be awarded 2 shots in 1 second at stealing something (almost completely negating fail rates).

Again, obvious. Terrible design. Broken. Obvious. As someone who likely more experience as a thief, who has played thieves exclusively for, what? 15 years or so, I can say with no bias what so ever, that anything less than a 10 second delay after the act of attempted/successful theft is absolutely terribly unbalanced.

And from here on forward, trammel was born.. Oh sorry, this reminded me of the days when people decided that Ultima Online was overly hardcore and needed to be softened up a little *a lot* and thus trammel was born. But I have to agree with how stealing works currently, double stealing can be defined as easy-mode and perhaps a slight change would/could be necessary. See what I did there?

No, you should not be awarded 2 shots in 1 second at stealing something (almost completely negating fail rates that stealing was designed to have).

Ummm... I have played a thief for 14+ years so dont go there. Why shouldnt you be able to disappear the second you steal a item if successful? chances are yr going to get guard wacked anyways. allowing 2 shots in 1 second doesnt fkin negate anything, most likely you will fail one of those times and get guard wacked. after 15 years youd think you would have some idea of how a thief works but obviously not. I started as a thief on OSI and thats why I came here cuz theres too many trammies on OSI and thieving is pointless, noone to steal from cuz noone goes to fel. IMO your clueless. Thanks for playing now go back to OSI fool.

Finch

Apprentice
Ummm... I have played a thief for 14+ years so dont go there. Why shouldnt you be able to disappear the second you steal a item if successful? chances are yr going to get guard wacked anyways. allowing 2 shots in 1 second doesnt fkin negate anything, most likely you will fail one of those times and get guard wacked. after 15 years youd think you would have some idea of how a thief works but obviously not. I started as a thief on OSI and thats why I came here cuz theres too many trammies on OSI and thieving is pointless, noone to steal from cuz noone goes to fel. IMO your clueless. Thanks for playing now go back to OSI fool.

lol, playing a bank thief as an alt character to screw around on at the bank does not qualify as "playing a thief for 14 years."

I mean, I don't know why you would try to sit here and bullshit me like this. I just informed you that I'm a massively experienced thief, and then you basically revert to trying to blow smoke up my ass about your experience. You are not a thief.

You're not an experienced thief, it's obvious to anyone who knows what they're doing, based on the things you say, that you either have no idea what you're actually talking about, or you're just terribly biased and dishonest, and what the scales to be tipped in your favor....

Yes, allowing 2 steals in the same second completely negates fail rates, and the way they were designed for the class. The 10 second delay needs to start after the steal, not when you put your target up. I mean, who in gods name would design it that way? It's an obvious screw up in the RunUO code, that 99% of shards immediately fix...

lol, playing a bank thief as an alt character to screw around on at the bank does not qualify as "playing a thief for 14 years."

I mean, I don't know why you would try to sit here and bullshit me like this. I just informed you that I'm a massively experienced thief, and then you basically revert to trying to blow smoke up my ass about your experience. You are not a thief.

You're not an experienced thief, it's obvious to anyone who knows what they're doing, based on the things you say, that you either have no idea what you're actually talking about, or you're just terribly biased and dishonest, and what the scales to be tipped in your favor....

Yes, allowing 2 steals in the same second completely negates fail rates, and the way they were designed for the class. The 10 second delay needs to start after the steal, not when you put your target up. I mean, who in gods name would design it that way? It's an obvious screw up in the RunUO code, that 99% of shards immediately fix...
Your a complete fucking idiot. Do you know how I got those blessed red donation sandals that are NEVER coming back? I stole em cuz hand of god put em in a bag...and while he was attacking me I add. I stand at the bank fucking around cuz Im bored. Dont pretend you know me cuz you dont. I dont use my stealth skill usually cuz its not needed, people are ignorant when it comes to protecting their shit. Go back to tram fool.

Finch

Apprentice
Having stolen a certain item doesn't make you experienced, or prove you know what you're doing. In fact, thinking that you just made a point in that statement is further proof that you have no idea what you're talking about o_O

Like I said already, arguing against the point is just ridiculously foolish. You sound like someone who's addicted to ease and imbalance in your favor, which is exactly what lead to trammel. People bitching because they wanted everything to be easy for them. You're the "trammy" here, not me.

"I totally know what I'm doing. I got lucky once!"

Having stolen a certain item doesn't make you experienced, or prove you know what you're doing. In fact, thinking that you just made a point in that statement is further proof that you have no idea what you're talking about o_O

Like I said already, arguing against the point is just ridiculously foolish. You sound like someone who's addicted to ease and imbalance in your favor, which is exactly what lead to trammel. People bitching because they wanted everything to be easy for them. You're the "trammy" here, not me.

"I totally know what I'm doing. I got lucky once!"
Like I said you dont me... so let me repeat myself ... dont pretend you do. That is only ONE of the many items I have gotten worth mils. Tram came along due to people complaining about the rules of fel. well guess what? This shard is based before tram, thats right... you guessed it fel. Same rules as before, so get the fuck used to it and move on or go back to tram.

Finch

Apprentice
The 10 second timer worked the way I'm describing it before trammel was out... It is, what you call, a "felucca" feature... And when fail rates, and weight caps were implemented, they were done so, and tested, with that timer in mind...

Again, i'm basing my assessment of you off of the things you're saying here. I know you well enough to know that you don't know anything about thieving :/ And, at this point, with how thought intensive they can be, I'm not sure you have the capacity to play one effectively... You don't seem to have enough style or wit.

The 10 second timer worked the way I'm describing it before trammel was out... It is, what you call, a "felucca" feature... And when fail rates, and weight caps were implemented, they were done so, and tested, with that timer in mind...

Again, i'm basing my assessment of you off of the things you're saying here. I know you well enough to know that you don't know anything about thieving :/ And, at this point, with how thought intensive they can be, I'm not sure you have the capacity to play one effectively... You don't seem to have enough style or wit.
LOL, we def got a hater folks. Everything you say tells me you didnt play a thief for 15 years. Your just trying to nerf them more. When they started this shard it is based off the rules that were in place at the time already. All you are doing is trying to enforce a rule that came afterwards to make it more trammel like and Im sure all see that. Back to tram with you. Im done wasting my time trying to explain something to someone who will never understand.

Messremb

Grandmaster
LOL, we def got a hater folks. Everything you say tells me you didnt play a thief for 15 years. Your just trying to nerf them more. When they started this shard it is based off the rules that were in place at the time already. All you are doing is trying to enforce a rule that came afterwards to make it more trammel like and Im sure all see that. Back to tram with you. Im done wasting my time trying to explain something to someone who will never understand.

Finch is right, on OSI Pre-Tram, stealing revealed you the moment you activated the skill and you had to wait 10 seconds to use another skill.

Also stealth had a limited number of steps and had to be reactivated when they ran out. you also had to wait after hiding before you could begin to stealth.

these are pre tram rules, the UO you laud, and claim to love. yet you throw a fit when anyone suggests they change the current (Thief Tram) back to fel.

You sir are a trammy,

Finch

Apprentice
jesus, there's no timer after hiding either? So, let me get this straight, you can steal, hide, and stealth away all in the same second? And there's people who don't see how this is a problem?

Bromista

Grandmaster
As Finch said, if you cater too much to thieves and murderers it's just as dangerous as catering too much to trammies.

UOF is trammel for thieves and murderers. Insta bank, insta stealth, low guard whack rate, stat-loss is a joke, need I say more? I hope not because that's all I got! But still that's a pretty solid case for thieving getting a nerf.

This isn't my first rodeo, I've never had anything of value stolen from me. A tailor ss, a carp ss, a few yds of charcoal cloth, a couple regs and an ID wand. Oh boy. This isn't about thieving in its current state ruining the game. Thieving is largely a waste of time and there are far more lucrative routes to take, and I'm not worried about rampant thieving totally crushing the souls of newbies and making them quit. This is about common sense game mechanics. Thieving is busted here.

Finch

Apprentice
I disagree with that. There's a fine line between exciting, and redundant and annoying. You have to regulate the amount of grief players endure from pvpers, or they will become annoyed. If you make it too easy, and too profitable, you will undoubtedly cross the line of "excitement" you get from the dangers of PKs and thieves, and enter into the realm of "this is ridiculous. I'm dealing with a thief or a PK every ten minutes, and I've had enough." And you're going to have a hard time retaining players. Sure, you will always have an outflow of players, but it's not wise to be overly relaxed about it, either... Plus, there's the issue of quality. Nobody wants to play a game like this where the scales are tipped in favor of 1 play style.

As I said before, making things too easy to PKs and Thieves creates a game just as imbalanced and lame as trammel. Nobody wants to be surrounded by a thousand "Mr Importants" who think they're good thieves because they can press 3 buttons in the course of a second, and disappear without threat or danger.