Can I have fun please?

Spida

Neophyte
has it ever come to your mind that you might just be bad ?

to the rest of the thread: I wonder what Shards you guys played before. I can't remember UO to be any other way. If anything, I remember it to be even more hardcore and unfair. Shit did I get griefed when I was younger.

After reading a lot of the threads that just complain it seems to me most of the people starting them probably never played UO without trammel. I went to siege shortly after it was created to try and get some original feel back to the game. The population there seemed to be like UOF, at least when I'm in. I haven't had a problem yet. Love this server, and after a while I will be donating. The only advice I have is don't give up, it's just a game.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

halygon

Grandmaster
has it ever come to your mind that you might just be bad ?

to the rest of the thread: I wonder what Shards you guys played before. I can't remember UO to be any other way. If anything, I remember it to be even more hardcore and unfair. Shit did I get griefed when I was younger.

I don't remember UO ever having this stout of a poison mechanic -- yeah poison was always deadly, but not THIS deadly. I really think that Shane must play nox characters exclusively to put this much care into poison.

When I pit fight, i can go through mages and dexxors alike with no problems. The second I hit a nox dexxor though, it is nearly impossible to win. The field is a different story altogether.

I think there is a big issue with the "alchy nox dexxor" build and that is that the mechanics on this shard are built that being GM level is not important and skills can be half-assed and still be potent. Bonuses like exp pot damage from alchy or increased chance to poison should be for GM level IMO.

K A Z

Grandmaster
I don't remember UO ever having this stout of a poison mechanic -- yeah poison was always deadly, but not THIS deadly. I really think that Shane must play nox characters exclusively to put this much care into poison.

When I pit fight, i can go through mages and dexxors alike with no problems. The second I hit a nox dexxor though, it is nearly impossible to win. The field is a different story altogether.

I think there is a big issue with the "alchy nox dexxor" build and that is that the mechanics on this shard are built that being GM level is not important and skills can be half-assed and still be potent. Bonuses like exp pot damage from alchy or increased chance to poison should be for GM level IMO.

I don't get myself why those bugs haven't been fixed yet. I reported the Alchemy bug about half a year ago and still nothing has changed - not good at all.

The reason they tweaked nox is that the same people that now cry "POISONING SO OP" cried for changes b4. Newbies love Poisoning but don't love it anymore when more skilled players (if you can even call playing a noxdexxer skilled) wipe them out.

halygon

Grandmaster
I don't get myself why those bugs haven't been fixed yet. I reported the Alchemy bug about half a year ago and still nothing has changed - not good at all.

The reason they tweaked nox is that the same people that now cry "POISONING SO OP" cried for changes b4. Newbies love Poisoning but don't love it anymore when more skilled players (if you can even call playing a noxdexxer skilled) wipe them out.
Yeah, I remember you doing the alchy pot test and found that having above 80 alchy is pointless. I've always said that you should have GM alchy if you want the bonus and you should have GM poisoning if you want that one. I mean really commit to a damn skill set.

NoXXeD

Grandmaster
Yeah, I remember you doing the alchy pot test and found that having above 80 alchy is pointless. I've always said that you should have GM alchy if you want the bonus and you should have GM poisoning if you want that one. I mean really commit to a damn skill set.

Right now though it seems poisoning is useless on a dexxer with gm poison. I agree with what you are saying though, You should have to gm the skill to get any benefits.

Trammel was fine, it was EQ and DAoC other mmo's that came out... Asherons Call, a few more I cant remember...not to mention online gaming ie battlenet, D2 and sooo much more started coming out...dont mention PS2 and Xbox live...

It had nothing to do with trammel or anything. I played from start on to like 2003 or 2004 on Lake Superior and people are so clueless...Trammel changed nothing. By logic, id say like 90% of reds also have blues so wouldnt these hardcore badass tough exceptional players all still be in fel with better rewards? Sometimes I dont wanna pvp, usually I am out looking for reds and 247 noobs to kill because its fun, sometimes I play my red...

Sometimes I even craft. So by this logic, shouldnt they remove crafting and guard zones? Why is it fair to let people make money crafting safely?!?!?!
Why have guards at all, and why the fuck are the guards able to 1 shot everything?

Not to mention, in trammel order/chaos or factions actually meant something...UForever is so confused, it is not even remotely a sandbox. It is sad they have so much potential, yet they pander to the 18 year old "bro" type that are only playing uoforever cause its free...

Again the huge exodus from UO had nothing to do with trammel, it was busier than ever after that. This isnt even a real Felucia...more like a quasi trammel with PKs...no recall when flagged, no house looting, blessed items for real money...could this server be anymore confused?

well someone is confused thats forsure....

halygon

Grandmaster
well someone is confused thats forsure....
I know, I read that post and wasn't quite sure what to make of it.

IF you did play before trammel AND after it, you would know that the entire population went to trammel because its the easy route, not the UO route. Fel was so empty, it was pretty pointless to even be there. Trammel was the beginning of a huge population surge that quickly hit the ceiling and started falling and hasn't stopped since. This sounds odd, but prior to Trammel, there was a great growth - - steady growth. Trammel (and the abundance of ads for UO because of it) brought growth beyond what UO could handle -- and guess what?. These new folks did not understand what it was like before trammel and the culture that ensued. So we end up with trammelites and UO as we know it goes to shit -- with the exception of a few good mechanics that did make it in.. albeit too late for most of us to play them while they were new.

jkg8787

Master
I remember Fellucca being a ghost-town about ~1 month after Trammel was implemented. My older brother ended up ebaying the account not much long after, and the same thing happened to the 5-8 Real Life friends who quit too.

IMO it was a multi-pronged weapon that killed UO. A combination of new 3D(wooo 3 dimensional wooo) MMOs that were set to launch, catering to a more "casual" crowd by introducing a "safe" way to play, doubling the size of the world with no new incoming people (effectively splitting what was by todays terms a meager audience).

Honestly it just clicked for me a few days ago. UO is dead, and has been for a long time, and the various Free-Shard-iterations while nice, never quite deliver the true feeling you want to recapture.

I honestly pity any of the Dev's here actually having to listen to the playerbase. I'm sure they have great interactions, but it's also just time-consuming whining they deal with.

When I played UO:R Chesapeake (or rather watched my older brother would be more accurate) zerging was frowned upon, calling in on 1 v 1 made you the joke of the server and people would thereafter refuse to PvP with you, drinking GCures/GHeals was considered laughable in a 1v1 Mage-Field fight and purple potions were a novelty.

Come here and what do I see? Zerging/Call-ins in even #s/and non stop bitching about balance. It's hilarious to watch one guild cry about zerging/call ins to watch them turn around and do it to someone else.

And still LOLing hard about people bitching about Explo Pots and assuming everyone scripts them. Purple potions were an absolute joke in my experience of Chesapeake UO:R, yet I was able to get along fine with them on uoforever/here. And it's TWO FUCKING BUTTONS, THEY AUTOMATICALLY FOLLOW A TARGET, AND GIVE A FAIRLY LARGE TIMING WINDOW TO THROW THEM ACCURATELY. It's honestly not hard, and honestly a joke that people here assume people are scripting potions when its retardedly easy.

Way off topic, and ranty now, but my main point is: UO is dead. Free shards are the "methadone" of UO-Addiction (gets you to stop shaking, but not as good as the "real thing") and that most players are either carebears/whiners/trying to relive an experience that will never happen/or simply just from different eras of UO and are trying to shoehorn in things that weren't UO:R.

My 2 nickels (pennies are gone in Canada) and kudos to the devs who have to deal with this daily.

Mikkeliv

Journeyman
I just thought I would toss my 2 cents in, as a newer player... considering I've just started, like you incoming players.

I created an account, then asked some questions in forums and that server chat. I stopped playing UO, when WOW came out, and just came back to UO after a good 10 years. So I can certainly be considered a noob.

I started playing here close to a week after... *points to joined date* <--------------

I can't really complain about the PK's... at all. Yes, I've been whacked... *waves middle finger at Pink Floyd and Joesph Stalin* But I've escaped more times then I can count. It's just a game. Reload, and go back at it.

There are SO many people here, willing to answer questions, and give tips. Hell, I used Halygon like my own personel google :p

There are numerous tip/suggestion posts. I mean, honestly, every post similar to this one is full of them.

I, personally, think this shard has a pretty decent ratio of tit for tat.

Tit: PK's allowed in town. Tat: You can mine while hidden. I can make a list like this, with hundreds of tit for tats.

How do you tell a balanced server? The PK's whine/complain just as much as the nonPK's, and vice versa, on every topic that hits the forums.

So... in concluding my novelette, here are my suggestions to new people entering, or those who are upset at dying...

1) Ask questions in server chat
2) Ask some more questions in the forums
3) Then ask some more when ya run into someone

OH! One last thing :p This being a complain post, I really should toss in a complaint.....

@#$% that paragon gargoyle! That BI-ATCH need to go! :D

Geriatric

Expert
I remember Fellucca being a ghost-town about ~1 month after Trammel was implemented. My older brother ended up ebaying the account not much long after, and the same thing happened to the 5-8 Real Life friends who quit too.

When I played UO:R Chesapeake (or rather watched my older brother would be more accurate) zerging was frowned upon, calling in on 1 v 1 made you the joke of the server and people would thereafter refuse to PvP with you, drinking GCures/GHeals was considered laughable in a 1v1 Mage-Field fight and purple potions were a novelty.

Come here and what do I see? Zerging/Call-ins in even #s/and non stop bitching about balance. It's hilarious to watch one guild cry about zerging/call ins to watch them turn around and do it to someone else.

was pretty much the same on oceania
when trammel hit there was limited pvp that used to hang around the britain moongate, the introduction of factions resurected it for a little while
using potions in a 1 v 1 mage fight just proved you were 7 different kinds of bad dont ever remember seeing people use purple pots in a fight other that large groups in faction sieges

even running off screen to heal in a 1 v 1 mage fight got you flagged for being one of the shit kickers
theres actually one such guy from oceania playing here now has the character named baracoon
i remember he was calling other people newbs for running away when the truth of the matter was they just got bored trying to fight him

Bromista

Grandmaster
I don't know what you guys are talking about! For my 5yrs of Chesapeake I always lived in and played in Fel more than Trammel (just to B/S/T mostly) amd Fel was always hoppin. Bucs, Yew, Brit, dungeons. All the places you'd expect to see activity, if you went there you got it.

halygon

Grandmaster
I don't know what you guys are talking about! For my 5yrs of Chesapeake I always lived in and played in Fel more than Trammel (just to B/S/T mostly) amd Fel was always hoppin. Bucs, Yew, Brit, dungeons. All the places you'd expect to see activity, if you went there you got it.
Who knows man, maybe Chesapeake defied the laws of UO..

Bromista

Grandmaster
Haha perhaps. I didn't have my own account til 2000 or so but I went straight tel Fel and hardly looked back. Fel was so much better all around.

I seem to remember Fel Ches being about like UOF regarding how often I run into other peeps. Chesapeake community was a a little less douchey but hey, whaddya do?

heresaucer

Neophyte
Fel was better because of the lower pop, housing space, and fel spawn dropping much better loot.

I think UO's slide started with the change to an item based based combat system that started in AoS, GM'ing a skill means absolutely nothing anymore. The suit makes the player and the temp, and the suit usually requires hours and hours and hours of farming in ridiculous Luck suits tp aquire.

Snickle

Grandmaster
I'm pretty sure this person left 3 pages ago to find a trammel server.
But yes the mentality of a Uo without trammel is lost to anyone who never played this way. It's s completely different/cut throat/trust nobody kind of uo that today's pc gamer just doesn't understand and its why we all play here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Trammel was fine, it was EQ and DAoC other mmo's that came out... Asherons Call, a few more I cant remember...not to mention online gaming ie battlenet, D2 and sooo much more started coming out...dont mention PS2 and Xbox live...

It had nothing to do with trammel or anything. I played from start on to like 2003 or 2004 on Lake Superior and people are so clueless...Trammel changed nothing. By logic, id say like 90% of reds also have blues so wouldnt these hardcore badass tough exceptional players all still be in fel with better rewards? Sometimes I dont wanna pvp, usually I am out looking for reds and 247 noobs to kill because its fun, sometimes I play my red...

Sometimes I even craft. So by this logic, shouldnt they remove crafting and guard zones? Why is it fair to let people make money crafting safely?!?!?!
Why have guards at all, and why the fuck are the guards able to 1 shot everything?

Not to mention, in trammel order/chaos or factions actually meant something...UForever is so confused, it is not even remotely a sandbox. It is sad they have so much potential, yet they pander to the 18 year old "bro" type that are only playing uoforever cause its free...

Again the huge exodus from UO had nothing to do with trammel, it was busier than ever after that. This isnt even a real Felucia...more like a quasi trammel with PKs...no recall when flagged, no house looting, blessed items for real money...could this server be anymore confused?

Confused? You state that you started in 2003 or 2004 and you call UOForever confused? I am not sure if you are trolling or being serious, but you have really, REALLY missed the mark with your post.

The biggest problem with completely safe games is what affects most of the modern games today, the grind. Simply, grinding day in, day out without the risk of actually player intervention is what, to me, has ruined the vast majority of online games. Games NEED player risk if they are to be online, they require griefers, scammers, thieves and player killers to keep the balance fresh and.. um.. balanced. Without that risk, you are more or less playing a single player game with limited player to player interaction.

You are the reason why online gaming has become pussified, you are the reason why most of us still yearn for this type of game, you are the one who will crawl into a ball when the world ends, leaving your family to die a horrible death because you are fearful of people interaction. *The world does not really end, it begins a new, some people like Quaim will be the first on the menu. Who has the salt?*

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Many people are so short sighted that they can't see that what they think they want isn't what they actually do want because they're too self absorbed and myopic to look ahead to the consequences that come along with their requests being fulfilled. And too lazy to look to history to see how it panned out the first time around and change their viewpoint accordingly. Bluntly, people are stupid.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Tapatalk

eric_azria

Grandmaster
This guy is a prime example of why there will NEVER be another game made that will have UO style rulesets. Too many carebears and crybabies who can't handle the risk vs reward aspect. The saddest part is so many free servers have made it their objective to cater to these exact type of people thinking they'll be the new backbone of UO.

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
Which is why a server that maintains its stance on such things as this one will outlast the rest. Ffs if you don't want non consensual PvP then go play a freaking single player console RPG and stfu already.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Tapatalk

crazy-horse

Master
it was EQ and DAoC other mmo's that came out... Asherons Call, a few more I cant remember
When Electronic Arts bought DAoC there were rumors that they would combine the two.. UP PVM and housing combined with DAoC mass PVP.. I miss those huge battles over territory and forts, ambushing at passes. Too bad they never did that.
But about the subject of the thread, the original poster NEVER said anything about removing thieves or PKs, only that there was too much excess of them (and there are). But things tend to go in waves, the tide is high now, wait a few months and it will lower, then rise. Play as it is playing and you'll be fine. Just don't get tricked by Shane's friends and he won't personally kill you, and you'll be fine.