Why do so few do factions?

Fattson

Grandmaster
You wanna know why people don't faction? Go to the pvp thread.

It's a bunch of whiney cry babies that spend more time accusing each other of cheating than they do actually fighting. Factions isn't supposed to be about gold, silver, or pvm. It's about who's the best pvper and pvp groups.

Also, people just spent the last 9 months ignoring their wives and kids and now it's summertime and they gotta take them on walks and shit. It's the price the server pays for being everyone's mistress 3/4 of the year.

Right now. Azria is ripping it. I just spent the last half hour playing poker and watching six dudes chase him around without being able to drop him. It was awesome.

Vince[Tharakus]

Grandmaster
GYB, he's also talking about increasing factions. Which for the elitist pvpers if they were gonna be factioners they already would be. So my assumption is he's also directing this to new people for factions.
I've always like factions. Dabbed in it some back in my hay days on OSI. But have forgotten most of the ins and outs.
I feel its biggest evil is to someone with lil to no experience in factions, the system can easily be a daunting one.
And the elite factioners should be more then willing to be "Yoda" and teach the younger ones how to be good at it. And the system itself should be more rewarding in some way to entice players even more to participate.

And as someone mentioned above(I think Fatts) the forum keyboard cowboys talking shit all day on forums is a huge turn off for a lot of people.

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
Faction bless was never part of factions. Everyone died the same and lost the same. Then AoS introduced item insurance. Also the armor/weapon systems totally changed.

GriefedYaBish

Grandmaster
Faction bless was never part of factions. Everyone died the same and lost the same. Then AoS introduced item insurance. Also the armor/weapon systems totally changed.

this isn't 2003 OSI AOS, Faction blessed weapons have always been a huge part of free shard's(********, uof) PvP mechanics. No faction blessed weapon= no runic market= more crafter tears.

what if people want to learn how to faction like something other than a huge *****?

SOL

Zagan

Expert
Didnt runic weapons got removed from factions on osi, short after it was released ?
For a good reason.
Long time ago i could be wrong here, im talking bout 01/02 .
forgive me if im wrong. :)
Nope. Age of shadows added resists and different sets of item properties and just changed everything. All runics created after AOS got random item properties ( You could make runic armor as well) , and runics crafted before got some standard set but I think they became mostly worthless.

Zagan

Expert
Faction bless on OSI was around before even before the Renaissance expansion, and used to bless gm crafted items in the beginning, and runics when they where introduced, and we completely blessed the living shit out of our runics back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

LSDjay

Grandmaster
At the start of factions there were not any runic weapons, also you couldnt bless magic weapons.
Runics came a year later when the bod system was introduced.

Only the items created by a faction smith or tailor where blessed for 3 weeks, so later on when runics came out they got blessed also for 3 weeks, but no normal magical weapons could be blessed.

Zagan

Expert
At the start of factions there were not any runic weapons, also you couldnt bless magic weapons.

Only the items created by a faction smith or tailor where blessed for 3 weeks, so later on when runics came out they got blessed also for 3 weeks, but no normal magical weapons could be blessed.

Sorry edited, originally meant to say non magical items.

n8m8

Journeyman
Less people play UO because it's June. I believe that lame templates and playing styles are another big reason. Let's be honest, not many people enjoy fighting against huge zergs, pvp tamer dexxers with blessed runic weapons or faction pvp tamers in general. It's difficult to get started and compete against 10-man crew. Factions are harsh, maybe too harsh for casual players.

LSDjay

Grandmaster
why so few play factions:

Here is some of mine thoughts.
First thing when i played osi, i was 13 years younger , it does matter in a sense of response time (lol) and wanna see /hear trashtalk typical lameness.

I could be wrong on things forgive me, havent read alot about how factions work here atm.

First off i never liked runics maybe coz thing went downhill on osi when runics came.
Blessed weapons, only things that should be allowed to be blessed are the items (armour/weapons) that come from a faction mule and it should lose its blessienes after a nr of weeks (3 on osi) and cant be blessed again after that.
(item insurance came with the dreadfull pub16 afterall)

Again i mention explo pots, its just stupid and annoying they follow you around.

What i loved most on factions was the base defending and assaulting, on osi there was a website that pritty much all factioners read and icq-lists so pritty much everyone knew what was going on, as in who holds the sigils and when they would be corrupted.
What would help here is maybe, the commanding lord or sheriffs could send out an account wide message to come help defend or help in attack, so even if your on another char you still get the message if 1 of the chars of the account holds a factioneer.

Maybe a sort of tracking board in brit, so people can read where the sigils are, and they can decide to hop on the faction char.

Remember, faction is very small here, look at the faction board its dead.
People dont know who holds the sigils, post more screenies of base attacks show the fun in defending and attacking
Post less screenies of people u killed , and omg they run 4vs6 and all that shit.

I dont how how long u have to defend the sigils now, but with less people here doing faction, shorten it.

Maybe even cut away 1 faction,.
2 factions would be boring, 4 even more it seems on here
Have 3 factions, so slightly more people to each faction.

cant think of more, wich im sure there is.

my2cents

hubcap

Grandmaster
Less people play UO because it's June. I believe that lame templates and playing styles are another big reason. Let's be honest, not many people enjoy fighting against huge zergs, pvp tamer dexxers with blessed runic weapons or faction pvp tamers in general. It's difficult to get started and compete against 10-man crew. Factions are harsh, maybe too harsh for casual players.

funny how all these people that are clamoring for more people to join factions are the very same people that make a living griefing players in the "normal" gameplay world......

Wonder why that is................

Maybe no one is joining factions because we all already have a preview of what to expect, if anyone has done an IDOC or runs deep in dungons around 11pm EST.

Got enough zergery and lamery, thank you.

Dont need it with blessed weapons.

Want more people to join factions?..... its going to need an overhaul and quite a bit more incentive for the new/blue.
REMOVING the ability to bless weapons would get me to consider joining......

Also.......if there was an all-encompassing post that describes the faction-style-gameplay to the non factioners that might go a LONG way to take away some of the apprehension.

But, for ME, factions are just normal world zerging....on roids.....

No thanks.

It's a bunch of whiney cry babies that spend more time accusing each other of cheating than they do actually fighting.

It's the same people doing this over and over. Not everyone in factions assumes everyone cheats when they lose a fight, just small specific group of individuals. It's just unfortunate they are the loudest / dumbest of the faction population but it certainly is a detractor to new players joining factions. I don't know how it can be dealt with besides a major overhaul of player mentality, but you can't fix stupid so therein lies the problem.

I'm sorry but I simply don't agree with this. If you couldn't use temporarily blessed weapons in factions the only purpose of runic weapons over gold would be for house deco, and that would be pathetic. If someone wants to pay 400k for a verite weapon and only use it for a week they should most certainly be allowed to do so. I strongly believe a week is too short, and it should two weeks however it's impossible to justify this change since Minax has such a stranglehold on the towns and it would only benefit them. Bottom line is this; if you're tired of getting shit on by someone with a faction blessed weapon, join a faction, bless a weapon, and crush some skulls.

RAVE GL

Master
funny how all these people that are clamoring for more people to join factions are the very same people that make a living griefing players in the "normal" gameplay world......
Wonder why that is................
Maybe no one is joining factions because we all already have a preview of what to expect, if anyone has done an IDOC or runs deep in dungons around 11pm EST.
Got enough zergery and lamery, thank you.
Want more people to join factions?..... its going to need an overhaul and quite a bit more incentive for the new/blue.
REMOVING the ability to bless weapons would get me to consider joining......

yea, like I said, the dungeons are empty. Why the hell would a blue, especially a newer player, want to join a faction when they get a huge distaste for being repeatedly killed in say, Shame, just hunting earthers. Its never even the same people, just rounds and rounds of reds coming through in large packs to OMG PWN BUTTHURT blah blah blah ONE SINGLE GUY. lol.

pathetic.

In my day, the dungeons had blues running around in them and MAYBE one or two reds would come through and do what they can, but they would have to leave quick before they got "heroed" by the local population.

Have to let these guys play the game and get to PVP and factions at their pace. You can't just go and fuckin' rape everyone with large packs, especially these single blues, and expect them to have a taste for pvp when they can't even max their weapon skill.

That's my rant. Take it and go.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
I agree with many of the points here as to why it doesnt make sense for people to join/try out factions now. Thats why we need a major incentive overhaul to make factions more appealing. Sure, factions can be a gank fest, but so can any PVP in UO(part of what makes it a great sandbox game).

If you had the ability to make 50-100k a day from just faction PVPing, wouldnt you be more inclined to facion?
If you had the ability to make more money from capturing sigils, wouldnt you be more inclined to steal/guard sigils leading to faction base fights?

The argument about blessed weapons is silly -- you are getting them used on you anyway right now, joining factions just gives you the ability to bless your own weapon.