Why do so few do factions?

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Let's be honest -- compared to other shards, faction action is very limited/non existent on UOF. There are many medium sized and large sized groups who PVP but do not do it in factions. The main reason why is there is no incentive or benefit to factioning and there's lots of risk(i.e. ganked by groups of experienced PVPers).

The only way we're going to get people try out/stay in faction is by increasing the rewards for PVPing in factions. Adam was on the right track when he improved some of the sigil bonuses but let's be honest, they're not enough to get people to do factions. The only thing that will get people doing factions is if they can make gold off of it. Being able to PVP and make gold from it would encourage those large groups like Trin, LOLZ/PCH, LORE etc to start factioning(they certainly have the numbers) as well as bring other medium sized groups into the fold.

Here's some suggestions:

1. Increase the amount of silver per kill drastically. As it stands now, you are able to get 10x the amount of silver from PVE than you are from PVP. Something like between 250 silver and 1k silver per kill(depending on the number of points the victim had). Make the amount you get be increased if you own the sigil of wealth.

2. Instead of near useless faction items(i.e. gems of empowerment) add the ability to get semi rare drops from faction kills. It could be faction themed/titled clothing, a chance to pull a CBD, or some sort of faction themed statue/deco.

3. Increase the amount of time a faction blessed weapon stays blessed. On OSI it was 3 weeks, here it is 1 week -- I think 2 weeks is a good compromise.

4. Make the brit sigil actually worth something... right now it gives no bonus to capturing it or not as anyone from any faction can still enter the RDA portal.

Summary: Factions are where consensual PVP is supposed to thrive however on UOF, factions are almost non existent. If you give people a way to make $ from PVP by factioning, you will see a drastic increase in the number of people who participate in factions.

uo4.jpg

Messremb

Grandmaster
I disagree with most of this, the reason nobody factions is most people don't enjoy zerging and thanks to a giant faction zerg it is difficult to compete without a zerg.

The incentive for factions should be pvp, not pvm.

I do think the way the faction gate works currently is flawed, but I think making only the controlling faction able to enter won't solve the problem. (most the guilds that do the faction gate have chars in every faction.) I think a better idea is make the faction gate a 4th rda that does not spawn anywhere else, that way if you want to do it you have to use factioners, and will have too fight other factioners to control it. this will make guilds that want to do this gate have to have more chars in factions, and thus hopefully increase pvp targets. Also guilds like eqms that lack the tamers to fight in a gate, can use their non tamers to fight off people outside the gate. Oh and remove the flag check on faction rda gates it really only prevents pvp.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
I disagree with most of this, the reason nobody factions is most people don't enjoy zerging and thanks to a giant faction zerg it is difficult to compete without a zerg.

There are already large groups of PVPers who dont do factions because there is little to no incentive for them to do it, not because they lack the number of players.

The incentive for factions should be pvp, not pvm.

I dont understand this? Where is the harm in making it so dedicated faction PVPers can make money from faction PVP? Its not affecting anyone's ability to PVM -- in fact, it would almost certainly reduce the number of people PKing dungeons as faction PVP would have much more action.

amonseti

Grandmaster
Why because PK'ing is so much easier and much more profitable ..
This is a blue (or noob) killin server .

Sommerella

Master
It's June. A lot of people aren't playing like they were a month or so ago. You keep mentioning that LOLZ/PCH have all of these numbers when in fact were pretty small. Over the fall/winter when people are playing more often then yes numbers are stronger. Right now its just a smaller/ish tight knit group that logs on throughout the week.
Every once in a while there might be 9 of us all on at the same time and able to roll out together.
So for the love of god, stop portraying us as this big ass zerg that needs to join factions to entertain you.
Maybe in the future we will dabble with it but right now we have other projects were working on.

Vince[Tharakus]

Grandmaster
I greatly enjoy PvP -winning n losing. Its just the most exciting aspect of the game.

I've always loved the concept of factions but never really got involved with it due to the lack of incentive or reward.

I definitely support buffing the system.
What kind and to what extent, I'll leave that up to the professionals.

And @Sommerella , she's got a good point. Its Summertime...... Gotta step away from the keyboard for awhile. Even a large as my guild is, we've slowed down noticeably.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
It's June. A lot of people aren't playing like they were a month or so ago. You keep mentioning that LOLZ/PCH have all of these numbers when in fact were pretty small. Over the fall/winter when people are playing more often then yes numbers are stronger. Right now its just a smaller/ish tight knit group that logs on throughout the week.
Every once in a while there might be 9 of us all on at the same time and able to roll out together.
So for the love of god, stop portraying us as this big ass zerg that needs to join factions to entertain you.
Maybe in the future we will dabble with it but right now we have other projects were working on.

Not talking shit or speaking ill -- mentioned you guys because you are one of the larger alliances that PVPs. If you could make 50k+ a day while PVPing, wouldnt it give you more incentive to participate in factions?

Vorax

Grandmaster
Let's be honest -- compared to other shards, faction action is very limited/non existent on UOF. There are many medium sized and large sized groups who PVP but do not do it in factions. The main reason why is there is no incentive or benefit to factioning and there's lots of risk(i.e. ganked by groups of experienced PVPers).

The only way we're going to get people try out/stay in faction is by increasing the rewards for PVPing in factions. Adam was on the right track when he improved some of the sigil bonuses but let's be honest, they're not enough to get people to do factions. The only thing that will get people doing factions is if they can make gold off of it. Being able to PVP and make gold from it would encourage those large groups like Trin, LOLZ/PCH, LORE etc to start factioning(they certainly have the numbers) as well as bring other medium sized groups into the fold.

Here's some suggestions:

1. Increase the amount of silver per kill drastically. As it stands now, you are able to get 10x the amount of silver from PVE than you are from PVP. Something like between 250 silver and 1k silver per kill(depending on the number of points the victim had). Make the amount you get be increased if you own the sigil of wealth.

2. Instead of near useless faction items(i.e. gems of empowerment) add the ability to get semi rare drops from faction kills. It could be faction themed/titled clothing, a chance to pull a CBD, or some sort of faction themed statue/deco.

3. Increase the amount of time a faction blessed weapon stays blessed. On OSI it was 3 weeks, here it is 1 week -- I think 2 weeks is a good compromise.

4. Make the brit sigil actually worth something... right now it gives no bonus to capturing it or not as anyone from any faction can still enter the RDA portal.

Summary: Factions are where consensual PVP is supposed to thrive however on UOF, factions are almost non existent. If you give people a way to make $ from PVP by factioning, you will see a drastic increase in the number of people who participate in factions.

uo4.jpg
The Lore alliance does have some factioners, we roll red factioners in CoM, but as i said, only SOME, we got maybe a handful, and whenever we try to fight you, you stat our red factioners like you actually don't want the pvp.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
The Lore alliance does have some factioners, we roll red factioners in CoM, but as i said, only SOME, we got maybe a handful, and whenever we try to fight you, you stat our red factioners like you actually don't want the pvp.

On the rare occasion you guys manage to use your pets to kill an EQMS member, they are insta statted with no offer. This thread isnt about stat loss though, its about encouraging more people to faction.

Vorax

Grandmaster
On the rare occasion you guys manage to use your pets to kill an EQMS member, they are insta statted with no offer. This thread isnt about stat loss though, its about encouraging more people to faction.
Don't get me wrong, I want more people to faction, and we enjoy fighting you, sorry for derailing with the stat bring up :)

Sommerella

Master
Not talking shit or speaking ill -- mentioned you guys because you are one of the larger alliances that PVPs. If you could make 50k+ a day while PVPing, wouldnt it give you more incentive to participate in factions?

Sure it would, but how much fun is it to play 20v5? Because that's what it would be. I've heard about the same factions killing each other as well. You've (not you, just speaking in general) got so many people with "hush hush alliances" that like to change sides and pick and choose who they fight or wont fight.

The politics seem silly, so you can't be surprised if most people would rather the simplicity of being green and just sticking to regular guild stuff.

I honestly don't know enough about factions to weigh in on it. I'd like to learn more. I've made a toon for it. Just haven't gotten around to messing with it.

Another issue is if you want people to play factions so bad, stop talking shit on them if they run blue factioners. Those that play red factioners, you stat like you need to keep them out of pvp.

That's just my 2 cents.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Sure it would, but how much fun is it to play 20v5? Because that's what it would be. I've heard about the same factions killing each other as well. You've (not you, just speaking in general) got so many people with "hush hush alliances" that like to change sides and pick and choose who they fight or wont fight.

The politics seem silly, so you can't be surprised if most people would rather the simplicity of being green and just sticking to regular guild stuff.

I honestly don't know enough about factions to weigh in on it. I'd like to learn more. I've made a toon for it. Just haven't gotten around to messing with it.

Another issue is if you want people to play factions so bad, stop talking shit on them if they run blue factioners. Those that play red factioners, you stat like you need to keep them out of pvp.

That's just my 2 cents.

Thats the beauty of people joining factions -- you have built in alliances through the faction system and with the faction message system on here its easy to coordinate with other members/guilds in your faction.

The only problem now is that not enough people have an incentive join factions as there is no reason to join them unless you're a hardcore PVPer aside from the few small bonuses. More bonuses makes factioning appealing to all types of players, not just the l33t factioners who have been playing for 18 years and dont want to bother teaching newbs about faction PVP.

Vorax

Grandmaster
Thats the beauty of people joining factions -- you have built in alliances through the faction system and with the faction message system on here its easy to coordinate with other members/guilds in your faction.

The only problem now is that not enough people have an incentive join factions as there is no reason to join them unless you're a hardcore PVPer aside from the few small bonuses. More bonuses makes factioning appealing to all types of players, not just the l33t factioners who have been playing for 18 years and dont want to bother teaching newbs about faction PVP.
Well you can't join SL because POWER still koses whoever they see, so there is no teaming there rofl :D - But thats just SL :)

Sommerella

Master

I'm not talking about the "beauty of factions alliances" I'm talking about the back alley sally bullshit where people in the same factions don't care who you are or if you're in the same faction. They will kill you bc you're not wearing the same guild tag as them, or bc they are that 1337 and just cannot help themselves? Which is fine, but why fight for a side when members of that side will kill you? Meanwhile they run into an opposing faction but its their buddy and he's cool so let's not fuck with him.

So for some people the "if its not green, kill it" mentality works better bc orange is shady as fuck.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Theyd only be able to kill you in your faction if they were red -- faction members do not highlight green to you. You also cannot heal or even party with opposing faction members, so while we have seen enemy factions team up against us, its mostly bc we outnumber them and their hate for us is strong.

Swayze

Grandmaster
the mount stamina change really killed factions for me. Worst change in a long time on this server.