Training your meta-pet!

exince

Grandmaster
well.. not a big sample.. but i've wasted enough time to lvl this guy.. i won't waste more time messing around with tests.. it's just not good enough...

Strife

Master
Yeah, I cant help but echo the same feelings. I love the pet and was totally fine with the nerf to PVP, but if I am 120 taming/lore and worked 1000;s of hours to level the pet to stage 7, I don't think I should have to spamm commands for it listen. If I was 115/115 then sure make it hate me, but a LEGENDARY tamer should control a legendary pet :) Hopefully, @Adam will be able to shed some light regarding details or maybe bump the control rate a bit!

Wrexx

Grandmaster
Not only is the control issue a pain at level 7 but the pets gaining Magery that high is also an issue. Pets only cast up to lvl 7. Lvl 7 spells wont give magery gains past 115? I think. Well when your lvl 7 meta pets magery is capped at 140 and he dies, the ONLY way to gain is via SS and it wont ever get capped at 140 again since its impossible to gain .1 and SS wont give partial increases.

Strife

Master
I have my stage 6 at 112 magery for a long time and it doesn't gain past that so I would say magery wont gain past that or close to it. I just got back from Mexico and reading all the plans for 140 taming and shit is sad. Put me off even wanting to log on again.

Bromista

Grandmaster
140 taming is pretty far from a creative solution to expanding upon taming further.

I am really disappointed that this is being presented as the best idea we have in moving forward.

I'll make a more detailed post, but all other end-game UOF has to offer has been very well done. Legendary Crafting being the most notable example. No crazy powerscrolls, no altered methods of gaining. Just a fun fetch quest.

Strife

Master
If 140 taming went through it would remind me of WoW too much. I just wish they would give us proper control and let us reach an endgame. I heard someone mention an idea about earning new pets or meta pets or gaining more control through the use of completing quests or something. This allows more in depth progression at end game. Also, 140 just seem akward in UO IMO. 120 is Legendary for a reason!

Bromista

Grandmaster
Any suggestions on what to kill at level 3? Been doing lots of orcs but their exp is so low.
You are in prime country for the following:

Snow elementals/snow harpies in Ice.
Stone harpies in Covetous.
Deep earth elementals and cycplos in Despise. Also a great spawn in Cove 4 near the soul devourer champ spawn.*
*serious business in Cove 4, that place can get fuckin' crazy real fast with werewolves, phoenix matriarchs, skeletal dragons, and revenant lions. Most of the time you can get in and get out of the safe pocket beside the deep earth ele spawn without problems.
Orc mine overseers in orc cave, there's a corner you can recall into in the back of level two to snag 2 guaranteed without pulling much extra aggro. By the forges, can't miss it.

Spread that poison around and let it tick, tick, tick.

The above spawn works well for level four as well.

Hambeast

Adept
Honestly you can kill daemons pretty easy with a lvl 3. Just watch his health and if shit goes south, umount your mare and have him help.

Asmatu

Master
I just wanted to confirm, but, when our meta dragons die, they lose skill, and can never regain that skill without skill scrolls?

Also, how long can a meta dragon remain dead prior to it disappearing?

Bromista

Grandmaster
I just wanted to confirm, but, when our meta dragons die, they lose skill, and can never regain that skill without skill scrolls?

Also, how long can a meta dragon remain dead prior to it disappearing?
Correct.

Allegedly you will lose your meta in the same time it takes any other pet to unbond.

However, early in the meta game I had my level 3 meta unbond after only a few hours, well short of the usual time it takes which is like 12hrs.

But I was one of the first to have this happen, and when I reported my issue Adam fixed the egg going to players packs...they were never supposed to do that and now they drop to the ground as intended.

Hambeast

Adept
The only skill metas can't regain is poison and that's only after lvl 3. All the other skills raise normally unless they changed this recently

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Asmatu

Master
Wow, so, if our meta leaves us, they disappear and go into egg form, and fall to the ground??!! That's pretty sweet.

And, thank you guys for the replies. :D

Messremb

Grandmaster
The only skill metas can't regain is poison and that's only after lvl 3. All the other skills raise normally unless they changed this recently

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
This isn't entirely true. Both Magery and resisting spells require certain levels of spells to be cast to gain. When going over GM there are simply no spells they can cast or that will be cast on them to raise those skills, thus Magery and resisting spells will not naturally level up to their cap.

Riversilk

Master
I'm sorry for resurrecting this post, but i feel that there are still some unsolved problems here regarding meta pets:

1) Control responsiveness on Pet level 7: has this been fixed?

2) Raising skills. Mainly for:
- poisoning, since from Pet level 4 onward you cannot raise it anymore (pet loses the poisonous melee attack)
- magery, since with level 7 spells you can only raise it to ~115
- resspells, raising it about 120/125 would require to be hit by spells higher than level 8
These skills should be naturally trainable, you can't expect us to use 3 SS each time our pets die. This needs fixing imho.
As a related note, even using a SS you can't reach the perfect numbers unless you start from a perfect number, so no way to get back to 140 if after death you're at 139.1.

3) I need to pose another two problems, the first regarding all pets and being the fact that pet skill training speed got halved and skill loss was raised to 1 whole point now. That sucks, because you need ages to get magery/poisoning/resspell up and you risk on going lower and lower, while neither pcs nor pks have a skill loss...
Moreover, on osi resurrected pets only lose 0.1 skill... http://www.uoguide.com/Pet_Resurrection
How is this even fair??

4) Overall cost of meta pet, in respect to other "end game" features like meta talisman:
meta talisman: 30 vanquishing (~900k), kill 100 creatures, kill 1 boss, buy 4 relics (cost varies), train talisman and relics
meta pet: meta egg (700k-1m), 120 taming and lore (8m+1m?), RAISE TAMING (lol), buy 4 relics (cost varies but is generally higher than other meta talisman relics), BUY META STONE (why this costs 3m? or 15k coins? what's the point of it??? because without a meta-stone you can't even apply the relics), train meta pet (it takes ages) and relics.
It's ok really, meta pets are strong and taming is strong in general, but this is really not fair for tamers... just look at those costs...
(Ok this last point is probably a rant :) )

Thanks for the answers (tagging @Adam / @Shane / @eppy here too :p)

Darkarna

Grandmaster
I'm sorry for resurrecting this post, but i feel that there are still some unsolved problems here regarding meta pets:
4) Overall cost of meta pet, in respect to other "end game" features like meta talisman:
meta talisman: 30 vanquishing (~900k), kill 100 creatures, kill 1 boss, buy 4 relics (cost varies), train talisman and relics
meta pet: meta egg (700k-1m), 120 taming and lore (8m+1m?), RAISE TAMING (lol), buy 4 relics (cost varies but is generally higher than other meta talisman relics), BUY META STONE (why this costs 3m? or 15k coins? what's the point of it??? because without a meta-stone you can't even apply the relics), train meta pet (it takes ages) and relics.
It's ok really, meta pets are strong and taming is strong in general, but this is really not fair for tamers... just look at those costs...

Not fair for tamers? I almost passed out in shock....

GriefedYaBish

Grandmaster

1) Control responsiveness on Pet level 7: has this been fixed?

2) Raising skills. Mainly for:
- poisoning, since from Pet level 4 onward you cannot raise it anymore (pet loses the poisonous melee attack)
- magery, since with level 7 spells you can only raise it to ~115
- resspells, raising it about 120/125 would require to be hit by spells higher than level 8
These skills should be naturally trainable, you can't expect us to use 3 SS each time our pets die. This needs fixing imho.
As a related note, even using a SS you can't reach the perfect numbers unless you start from a perfect number, so no way to get back to 140 if after death you're at 139.1.

3) I need to pose another two problems, the first regarding all pets and being the fact that pet skill training speed got halved and skill loss was raised to 1 whole point now. That sucks, because you need ages to get magery/poisoning/resspell up and you risk on going lower and lower, while neither pcs nor pks have a skill loss...
Moreover, on osi resurrected pets only lose 0.1 skill... http://www.uoguide.com/Pet_Resurrection
How is this even fair??

i'm sorry you chose to make a tamer. deal with it.
QQ