Tracking needs fix

wreckognize

Grandmaster
The problem is and always was that this is a shard with custom housing. Therefore players don't need to have walls in their houses. This makes it very easy for experienced stealthers to avoid detect hidden from house owner.

The solution is to make tracking work as if the skill were GM when using it inside a house you own. This will help players avoid losing their lockdowns to would-be theives apon their release.

IMO range change was acceptable, but the fail rate is pretty wild now and I think stealth is a little OP, even for my tastes. And I play a stealther religiously.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Doesn't the effective GM detect hidden in a house already take care of this problem?

very easy for experienced stealthers to avoid detect hidden from house owner.

Because there is not necessarily doors all the time in custom housing, as apposed to classic houses which always have walls and doors.

But even still, people shouldn't need to GM tracking just to feel safe locking items down on their steps.

This is 2014 UO where items can have large values, this suggestion simply decreases the probability of players losing high end items (which has been attributed to players quitting for over a decade.)

wreckognize

Grandmaster
80 screens?!??

sorry, I had forgotten about the extent of the range changes. 100% rate of success and 2 screens was what I wanted. :p

100% rate while standing inside at any skill level should suffice

I still don't see any abuse of it even if it were 80 screens though, since GM trackers are likely to be at IDOCs anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Seems pretty valid to me, being an experienced veteran here.

But instead of being reasonable, let's allow a few players to get scammed and quit first before realizing the validity of this simple fix.

However if you still feel like discussing this, please state any drawbacks you can think of.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Use detect hidden instead of tracking. Seems like a non-issue to me.

Apples and Oranges, my friend. They cannot be compared. Detect only reveals hidden players inside the house, whereas tracking will show players who are standing on the lawn, waiting to scam players as they release their items off the house steps/balconies.

Which is not a non issue. Having played here for the majority of the shards life, i can tell you sir that several players have already been victim to this scam. I remember once when poor Archersnon lost his first 4 taming ss when he was tricked into releasing them from his house steps. Now all he does since then is beg off everyone because he couldn't cope with the pain of the loss. Most players would have just quit. Unfortunately, in this scenario, detect hidden offers no protection.

Without the proposed fix to make tracking work inside the house, I suspect that this scam technique will be used more frequently. Therefore a little added protection for homeowners is not such a bad idea.

Don Key

Master
Apples and Oranges, my friend. They cannot be compared. Detect only reveals hidden players inside the house, whereas tracking will show players who are standing on the lawn, waiting to scam players as they release their items off the house steps/balconies.

Which is not a non issue. Having played here for the majority of the shards life, i can tell you sir that several players have already been victim to this scam. I remember once when poor Archersnon lost his first 4 taming ss when he was tricked into releasing them from his house steps. Now all he does since then is beg off everyone because he couldn't cope with the pain of the loss. Most players would have just quit. Unfortunately, in this scenario, detect hidden offers no protection.

Without the proposed fix to make tracking work inside the house, I suspect that this scam technique will be used more frequently. Therefore a little added protection for homeowners is not such a bad idea.

Can't argue with that.

Norseman

Novice
Sorry, but I'm not seeing the issue here. If you're locking and unlocking items in a spot that people can walk too in your house, if you're not working behind a wall and teleport, losing an item to a well-timed snatch and grab from a skilled thief is a risk of the game. GM in-house detect hidden is good enough, if you want to be able to track and detect someone outside of your house level up the skill to do so.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
So everyone should just know everything like you do then??
There's not allowed to be a learning curve in whatever reality you live in?? :D

I already have gm track detect etc etc etc, one on each account. I'm a pro; this isn't about me.
With the addition of poker, there's bound to be an overall uprising in scam activity.
If you have less than 100 posts, refrain. thanks.
Trust your local veterans.
1471749_o.gif

Norseman

Novice
That's cute, you pulled the seniority gambit. You're bitching about people not being able to track people outside of their house, when the simple answer is to tell them that if they want that ability they can take the hit and use their skill points to bloody well train the skill. Every single time a player operates outside of town they're at risk, and losing an item to a thief this way is no different than getting ganked by a red while hunting. UO has always been about the school of hard knocks, and if people don't want that why are they playing on a shard running a Felucca ruleset to begin with?