Tracking needs fix

kurtis

Grandmaster
Ugh no.

Despite its potential to be really cool, tracking on this server has been historically lame. What we don't need is an implementation that helps continue to negate the need for putting points in that skill. This sort of thing - protecting one's house - is exactly what the tracking skill is supposed to assist with. That's one good reason why a person would want to get tracking - to know if people are around so they can safely carry out their business.

And that's also the risk of having a house with no walls - you're foregoing protection from intrusion. We're allowed to have 3 accounts. It's not too much to put tracking on one char if you're going to build a wall-less house. Especially since detect works 100% inside the house.

It sounds like you want people to be able to build a wall-less house and not have a char with tracking, and yet still be perfectly protected. With secure containers, housing provides more than enough item protection. I still remember the day in UO that secure containers were put in and house looting essentially stopped. I shed a metaphorical tear that day.

These examples you provide, while they may be true, seem silly. Why is it necessary to lock down 4 taming scrolls on the steps of your house? Who does that?!? I guess it's not surprising that the same person got scammed into unlocking them with a stealther around.

Last edited by a moderator:

wreckognize

Grandmaster
All that logic and you couldn't be bothered to read the previous posts, while still managing to not mention a single potential drawback. How interesting. What really seems silly is how a person can make a billion gold doing simple scams like this all day. (On a shard with an extremely similar structure as this one, mind you)

You may not realize but house walls are only one example of the problem. There's been some customizations that have happened including house door security settings and teleporter security settings that not every returning player knows about.

The UO game as we know it includes the possibility of having newer players have nice items and this minor cosmetic fix will undoubtedly help a few of them avoid scams of this nature.

Some of you are putting wayy too much thought into something so simple and logically sound.
If you can't think of a drawback, and don't feel like reading the thread, then please refrain from posting. TY ^^

kurtis

Grandmaster
I did read the posts and I did mention a drawback. You just don't want to read it.

Stop being a baby because nobody agrees with you.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Nah, you didn't mention a drawback. it's 100% opinion there, young player. Sorry. Maybe learn to read your own posts lol

The developers of runuo agree with me, that's why they made tracking work at 100% as a standard in the first place. Level up bro

halygon

Grandmaster
Nah, you didn't mention a drawback. it's 100% opinion there, young player. Sorry. Maybe learn to read your own posts lol

The developers of runuo agree with me, that's why they made tracking work at 100% as a standard in the first place. Level up bro
As amusing as this thread is, I already have given you the number one drawback - it would be abusable, plain and simple. I know I could abuse that easily for PKing, IDOCing, factions, and more. It would allow someone with a well placed house to have effectively an 8x template.

Beyond that, we already have other mechanics (detect hidden) that are in place to assist the house owner in feeling secure. In some countries there is what is called a common sense test for any laws to be passed. This says that the proposed law/rule must make common sense, regardless of the logic or how well it is intended. I think in this case, although your suggestion well intended and useful, doesn't pass common sense, which is why every person has disagreed with you.

PS: Who locks stuff on their stairs or in a insecure area without being extra careful? Here's a tip for those that do - say "I wish to lock this down" before you drag the item in place so you can drop and click in under half a second.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
By your logic then having detect working as a gm from your house is overpowering and non-common-sensical and should be removed. Nobody should have an 8x template because it's abusable lol. Give it a rest.

Your drawback is moot and it seems like your problem is with 80 screens in the first place, not my suggestion of being able to use it from your house.

The RunUO dev who enabled detect as a gm inside a house agrees with me, and can tell that you're grasping at straws here.

PS: people lock stuff down on their stairs, and balconies, and inside their houses. They're called decorations.

There are no real drawbacks to this suggestion, it's GM tracking, not GM taming. It takes 5 hours to GM tracking and costs nothing. Everyone has 3 accounts. It's a cosmetic fix. Non-abusable, plain and simple.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Who locks stuff on their stairs

Who does that?!?

fantastic-stairways-decoration-6m8hd.jpg

captivating-christmas-staircase-decoration-ideas-27-glass-christmas-decorations.jpg

even containers...

stair-basket.jpg

: )

My biggest argument here is for the returning players who may not realize that their 20 tracking is near useless, and that's almost every stealther that I've ever known since 80stealth 20 track is normal. I can see this being a problem.

halygon

Grandmaster
fantastic-stairways-decoration-6m8hd.jpg

captivating-christmas-staircase-decoration-ideas-27-glass-christmas-decorations.jpg

even containers...

stair-basket.jpg

: )

My biggest argument here is for the returning players who may not realize that their 20 tracking is near useless, and that's almost every stealther that I've ever known since 80stealth 20 track is normal. I can see this being a problem.
Thanks for the misquote twice in a row.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
don't get too rich abusing this one, halygon. ^^

surely this would tip the scales in favor of the player with the house, because he wouldn't need to be logged into that one extra client to track with.

Anyone with a shred of common sense knows how laggy one extra client is on pentium II processor....

Shini

Master
I think tracking need fix .. but for different reasons.

Last edited by a moderator: