TMaps

I would drop stealth and maybe hiding, i think provo and music are going to make life a ton easier. Now the thing to remember about a meta is that of you have above 50 music or taming then you cannot equip a talisman. If you are going ti do a meta mage I would do another char.

Shiva

Apprentice
Yeah, that's what I did like you guys offered, Thanks a lot to all of you!

I've another question, I started to work on the Cartography, i found only 1 place south to WBB that sells empty maps from 2 NPCs and another NPC in Ocllo, can't find any other vendors to sell them.
I read that I can use empty scrolls too, they are easier to find, but can i use the same map pen on them or do I need to buy the scribe pen for the scrolls?

And would like to hear any advice how to work on that skill?
ATM I'm doing City maps (can do world maps too), and it's moving slow and after 10 mins i'm out of maps, can't really set macro for long period of time.
It'll take forever to GM it in this pace, every 10mins i need to buy new maps, but it takes much longer for the maps to appear on the NPC after I buy them.
So kinda lost here :\

halv

Grandmaster
You only need 70%. You can use the map maker pen on empty maps or scrolls. Go to Moonglow and buy lots of empty scrolls. Go to a dungeon and do carto there.

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

Yoko Kurama

Master
I would drop stealth and maybe hiding, i think provo and music are going to make life a ton easier. Now the thing to remember about a meta is that of you have above 50 music or taming then you cannot equip a talisman. If you are going ti do a meta mage I would do another char.
Hide and stealth is better. Unless you are doing lvl 1 and 2 chests. Group 2 characters, go to location, use thunter to pop chest...hide/stealth your way to disarm the chest, then let the other char take it from there. It is a serious waste to try to make a character just for level 3 or 4 stuff. What good is provoke going to be when you are doing higher level chest, 4+? You need 2 things to provoke, and most of the time you will be spawning them 1 at a time...

As for 30% mining to find the chest, lol you need to learn your locations. 0 mining it is trivial to find the chests. Mining mainly helps so you can pick a nice spot.Ie a place with no stumps or blockage. pss- got a pm asking how to find them, and just use UO Auto Map...it has all the locations.

My thunter has alch, stealth, and hide and 120 mining, with cart, and a little mage and med...I use the thunter to hold all the gold...a hidden char will still salvage. I ask again, in what world is adding provoke and music going to help? Just bring a provo/archer, or provo/mage, or a provo tamer...you will need them anyway if you want to be at all efficient!
Or as I said, if you doing lvl 1-3 maps and you wanna solo them...well then provoke is a waste anyway.

Pop chest, 4 creatures pop...
disarm and open chest...
the 4 will be almost dead
start looting
stuff pops 1 at a time...
you provoke
everything died
for the other 95% of the chest, you are going to use ev scrolls? what happens if you get a strong paragon? How will you loot while it insta dispels demons and evs, and you have nothing to provoke?

=) Hope that helps.

ps- I added alchy because I only have it on my one red, and it is nice to have. As a side note, you can actually kill people with purple potions and mind blast. What's more fun than killing a pk with a fucking miner?

Last edited by a moderator:

halv

Grandmaster
Hide and stealth is better. Unless you are doing lvl 1 and 2 chests. Group 2 characters, go to location, use thunter to pop chest...hide/stealth your way to disarm the chest, then let the other char take it from there. It is a serious waste to try to make a character just for level 3 or 4 stuff. What good is provoke going to be when you are doing higher level chest, 4+? You need 2 things to provoke, and most of the time you will be spawning them 1 at a time...

Absolutely. The best way is to use to accounts and put provoke on the main template.
I've got a meta lumberjack with a blue beetle and no hiding to empty the chest and slay the spawns. I dig up the chest with another mage char.

Shiva, if you hide a mage char for support , paragon moments will be no problem. ;)
If you like to do old school thunting you can mark a rune, dig up the chest with your carto char, slay the mobs and unlock it with your main provo stealth lockpicker what ever you like. There're so many ways to play it. But definitly, two accounts will make it much easier.

As for 30% mining to find the chest, lol you need to learn your locations. 0 mining it is trivial to find the chests. Mining mainly helps so you can pick a nice spot.Ie a place with no stumps or blockage.

Are you talking about using a rune library to recall directly to the chest? Okay, then there is no need for mining. But if you like to do some old school treasure hunting mining helps a lot. Personally, i like to go there by map not Automap and a rune library. It's like i remember it. :)

for the other 95% of the chest, you are going to use ev scrolls? what happens if you get a strong paragon? How will you loot while it insta dispels demons and evs, and you have nothing to provoke?

BTW: Somebody in irc told the story about putting 70% Cartograph on his meta to only farm the spawn. He is digging up and destroying the chest. He said it's much easier to get high level spawns this way then farming in dungeons. What a waste.
But with provo and energy vortex is no way to get exp for a talisman. Treasure hunting is very common for meta leveling too.

Shiva

Apprentice
Thanks for the comments guys.

Well, for solo hunting I want to be able to do 1-2 or even 3 lvl maps.
For higher levels I can't handle it solo anyway, no matter the template, else if you got a mage tamer with 2 strong drags then yeah, maybe yo can solo it.
We were 4 people and we'd hard time to beat 4 levels maps, so do it solo? no no :)
For higher levels i'll party with friends anyway, it's much more fun and easier.... and we can clean a 4+ maps in couple of minutes.

About the mining, well, all the maps I did I'd no problem finding the spots, just using a rune library and boom, done.
Yes, sometimes I use sextant the old way, but it's just wasting time when I'm in a group, you want to hit an run to the next map.

@halv , about the talisman or meta, i've no idea what it is or what is it for or even how to get it, I'm playing for about 2 weeks only and don't remember much from back in the days :)
I read on some forums about it but didn't really understood anything cuz we didn't had it on my old server, so not focusing on that at the moment.
Just to GM my main 2 chars.

Yoko Kurama

Master
Provo archer can do lvl 4 or 5 solo easy as can be. Although you need slayer bow, sometimes may take a few to kill/kite something.Sure dont need a tamer.

Shiva

Apprentice
Any advice on how to work on the Lockpicking skill?
I understood I need locked boxes and try to open them, that's it?

As for 30% mining to find the chest, lol you need to learn your locations. 0 mining it is trivial to find the chests. Mining mainly helps so you can pick a nice spot.Ie a place with no stumps or blockage. pss- got a pm asking how to find them, and just use UO Auto Map...it has all the locations.

My thunter has alch, stealth, and hide and 120 mining, with cart, and a little mage and med...I use the thunter to hold all the gold...a hidden char will still salvage. I ask again, in what world is adding provoke and music going to help? Just bring a provo/archer, or provo/mage, or a provo tamer...you will need them anyway if you want to be at all efficient!
Or as I said, if you doing lvl 1-3 maps and you wanna solo them...well then provoke is a waste anyway.

Pop chest, 4 creatures pop...
disarm and open chest...
the 4 will be almost dead
start looting
stuff pops 1 at a time...
you provoke
everything died

=) Hope that helps.

ps- I added alchy because I only have it on my one red, and it is nice to have. As a side note, you can actually kill people with purple potions and mind blast. What's more fun than killing a pk with a fucking miner?
Ah see i like to solo the maps, level 4 or 5, level 6 is too slow to be profitable compared to level 4's or 5's. I don't like to use multi clients so i use a tmap fishing template that allows me to do it all on the one char. I know most people like to use 2 chars for this, but I'm not gonna recommend a new player creates 2 chars just to do a few maps...

Shiva

Apprentice
Ah see i like to solo the maps, level 4 or 5, level 6 is too slow to be profitable compared to level 4's or 5's. I don't like to use multi clients so i use a tmap fishing template that allows me to do it all on the one char. I know most people like to use 2 chars for this, but I'm not gonna recommend a new player creates 2 chars just to do a few maps...

Right, i can't even handle with 1 char, no speaking of 2 in the same time :D

halv

Grandmaster
Any advice on how to work on the Lockpicking skill?
I understood I need locked boxes and try to open them, that's it?

Yes, you can use crafters made wooden containers to train. The problem is, this containers need to be made at the right skill to be usefull. There are three levels for locked container. A carpentry-tinker must craft this boxes in the right moment at 50, 75 (80?) and GM skill. You can train your lockpicking skill in the same skill ranges. If you reach 75% LP you switch to the next box made with skill 75% Tinkering. Most crafter miss this moment to make lockable boxes to sell to treasure hunters. But if you ask in forum you can get the whole three box set for around 20-50K.

Have a look here: http://www.uoforum.com/threads/guide-lockpicking.42133/

halv

Grandmaster
@halv , about the talisman or meta, i've no idea what it is or what is it for or even how to get it, I'm playing for about 2 weeks only and don't remember much from back in the days :)
I read on some forums about it but didn't really understood anything cuz we didn't had it on my old server, so not focusing on that at the moment.
Just to GM my main 2 chars.

I started the meta quest for talisman seven month after starting to play this shard. Much to late and it was a huge waste of vanqs and mobs I could use to do the quest.
If you like to play UOForever forever you should start the quest now, not in seven months. ;)

On Valor Island is a statue of a dwarf. Go there (rune library to Valor shrine) and stand in front of this statue and say something. You will get a quest offered. If you accept you will get a stone you have to charge with 30 vanqs weps to get to the next level.
If you play t-hunter you will have vanqs sometimes in your chest. With this quest already started you can put this weps in your stone to charge it.

Don't sell vanqs. If you filled up your stone sell for 7-10K to other player doing this quest.

After filling up this stone with 30 vanqs you have to go back to this statue on valor island. Now you will get a new stone. This one you have to charge with 100 evil mob souls. Means mobs like level 4 treasure map spawns. Orcish Mine overseer, deep earth ele, drakes, Lich Lords and high level mobs will charge your stone. But you need to kill this mobs with direct damage. EV and EQ or pet kills don't charge your stone.

If you do a lot of level 4 treasure maps you will charge this stone very quickly without really thinking about.
After you charged your stone with 100 evil mob souls, you need to participate at the daily fights for Arch Demon in Wrong level 3. That's a every 5 hour spawn you will have a lot of fun with other players and the usual PK squads. :)
You only need to hit the Arch Demon once to get his blood. Stay alive and in the room and you will get the demons blood at the first try. If you died and didn't get the blood, five hours later you can try again. Put the blood in your stone and back to the statue you will get a talisman of your choice.
http://www.uoforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Meta_Talismans

With this talisman you will get a lot of benefits. You can level him to make you very strong or use relics to get awesome abilities. And finally you can solo level 4-5 maps. There are metas doing level 6 solo and PvE without problems.
Actually you will get fame, karma and loot from every spawn. With talisman equiped you will get experience for your talisman too.

I recommend to start early as possible with this quest. You need weeks to get the stone charged and months to level up your talisman.
There are two skills very useable for talisman. The arms lore skill for dexxers and the spirit speak for mages. With a meta mage you will get back 25% of mana from attack spells if you are spirit speak GM. Now you can cast three flame strikes without meditation and you will already have a +20% damage from talisman in level 1.

Shiva

Apprentice
I started the meta quest for talisman seven month after starting to play this shard. Much to late and it was a huge waste of vanqs and mobs I could use to do the quest.
If you like to play UOForever forever you should start the quest now, not in seven months. ;)

On Valor Island is a statue of a dwarf. Go there (rune library to Valor shrine) and stand in front of this statue and say something. You will get a quest offered. If you accept you will get a stone you have to charge with 30 vanqs weps to get to the next level.
If you play t-hunter you will have vanqs sometimes in your chest. With this quest already started you can put this weps in your stone to charge it.

Don't sell vanqs. If you filled up your stone sell for 7-10K to other player doing this quest.

After filling up this stone with 30 vanqs you have to go back to this statue on valor island. Now you will get a new stone. This one you have to charge with 100 evil mob souls. Means mobs like level 4 treasure map spawns. Orcish Mine overseer, deep earth ele, drakes, Lich Lords and high level mobs will charge your stone. But you need to kill this mobs with direct damage. EV and EQ or pet kills don't charge your stone.

If you do a lot of level 4 treasure maps you will charge this stone very quickly without really thinking about.
After you charged your stone with 100 evil mob souls, you need to participate at the daily fights for Arch Demon in Wrong level 3. That's a every 5 hour spawn you will have a lot of fun with other players and the usual PK squads. :)
You only need to hit the Arch Demon once to get his blood. Stay alive and in the room and you will get the demons blood at the first try. If you died and didn't get the blood, five hours later you can try again. Put the blood in your stone and back to the statue you will get a talisman of your choice.
http://www.uoforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Meta_Talismans

With this talisman you will get a lot of benefits. You can level him to make you very strong or use relics to get awesome abilities. And finally you can solo level 4-5 maps. There are metas doing level 6 solo and PvE without problems.
Actually you will get fame, karma and loot from every spawn. With talisman equiped you will get experience for your talisman too.

I recommend to start early as possible with this quest. You need weeks to get the stone charged and months to level up your talisman.
There are two skills very useable for talisman. The arms lore skill for dexxers and the spirit speak for mages. With a meta mage you will get back 25% of mana from attack spells if you are spirit speak GM. Now you can cast three flame strikes without meditation and you will already have a +20% damage from talisman in level 1.

Wow, thanks a lot for all the info!
It's sounds interesting.... So Meta and Talisman it's the same :)
Well, my main char is a Warrior, my alt on the same account is a Bard Archer, on the second account I got my Blacksmither/Miner and the new Mage-Hunter.
But ATM, I'm playing mostly with my Warrior and the Mage, can't focus on all of them, aye? :)
So for the Warrior I'll need Arms Lore, right? or is it for the Bard I need Arms Lore?
And I'll need Spirit Speaking for my Mage also?
Too many skills and no place to add more :\

halv

Grandmaster
But ATM, I'm playing mostly with my Warrior and the Mage, can't focus on all of them, aye? :)
So for the Warrior I'll need Arms Lore, right? or is it for the Bard I need Arms Lore?
And I'll need Spirit Speaking for my Mage also?
Too many skills and no place to add more :\

If you have a talisman you will hit more often melee mobs with high wrestling skill. It's pretty nice in PvE.
How I told, with spriti speak you will need 25% less mana if you cast attack spells like Energy Bolt and Lightning or Flame Strike.

Bard or Tamer doesn't really go for talisman. Somebody told me u can't even equip it. I really don't know. I've got a meta Lumberjack with arms lore but no magery and hiding. Dangerous to play this guy, because he is a berzerker with 0 ar. :D
If you're a lumberjack Berzerker you will do awesome damage - 40% damage bonus against both players and monsters at GM Lumberjacking.
With the talisman and extra 5% damage per level and a slayer axe you will make normal elementals with one hit. Deep Earth Eles only need 4-6 hits with the slayer double axe (earth shatter or elemental ban). Titans will go down before really casting spells on you. Only Ogre Lords will be hard to get if you have 0 ar. They will hit you with 20-40 dmg. ;)

I use my axer for T-hunting on a beetle mount. I slay the level 4 mobs very easy, only dread spider paragon will make trouble because of the lethal poison.

Shiva

Apprentice
If you have a talisman you will hit more often melee mobs with high wrestling skill. It's pretty nice in PvE.
How I told, with spriti speak you will need 25% less mana if you cast attack spells like Energy Bolt and Lightning or Flame Strike.

Bard or Tamer doesn't really go for talisman. Somebody told me u can't even equip it. I really don't know. I've got a meta Lumberjack with arms lore but no magery and hiding. Dangerous to play this guy, because he is a berzerker with 0 ar. :D
If you're a lumberjack Berzerker you will do awesome damage - 40% damage bonus against both players and monsters at GM Lumberjacking.
With the talisman and extra 5% damage per level and a slayer axe you will make normal elementals with one hit. Deep Earth Eles only need 4-6 hits with the slayer double axe (earth shatter or elemental ban). Titans will go down before really casting spells on you. Only Ogre Lords will be hard to get if you have 0 ar. They will hit you with 20-40 dmg. ;)

I use my axer for T-hunting on a beetle mount. I slay the level 4 mobs very easy, only dread spider paragon will make trouble because of the lethal poison.

Hmm, well my Warrior has swords and parrying, I like to tank and be able to get some hits.
I thought about switching it to LJ+Axe instead of using Katana/Scimitar (or other swords) + Shield. Not sure yet about it.
From one hand, the LJ skill is cool for fighting and just collecting logs for my mule, and u've 1 hand free for pots and draining some mana on the way with the axe :)
But, the shield providing me an additional 50 phy resist points, so it's kinda an a big deal for a tank, I can absorb much more dmg in party and draw the mobs to me while bards and mages can heal me and kill focus on the attack of the mobs :)

halv

Grandmaster
But, the shield providing me an additional 50 phy resist points, so it's kinda an a big deal for a tank, I can absorb much more dmg in party and draw the mobs to me while bards and mages can heal me and kill focus on the attack of the mobs :)

If you really want to go meta with a lumberjack you have no skill points for hiding and magery anymore. Stay away from lumberjacking and put Hiding and / or Magery on this template too. High ar means less experience you gain for damaging creatures at a rate of 1% per AR. With 100 AR you don't get exp. Same with all talismans. Magi Tali penalty is 1.6% per AR.
If you use 0 AR to level up a Defense Talisman and switch back to high AR and Parrying, I think you can solo Fafnir. :D

Hmm, well my Warrior has swords and parrying, I like to tank and be able to get some hits.
I thought about switching it to LJ+Axe instead of using Katana/Scimitar (or other swords) + Shield. Not sure yet about it.
From one hand, the LJ skill is cool for fighting and just collecting logs for my mule, and u've 1 hand free for pots and draining some mana on the way with the axe :)

At the moment katana is highest dps weapon in the game. I believe that with the new expansion they are making some changes to lumberjacking though, so that may change. An axe will make bigger red numbers pop up, but far less often and if you miss a hit with an axe then it still takes a bit before your next swing. With a katana if you miss a bit it doesn't matter as much because you swing a lot faster. That being said I do have an lj as well, but for my first meta I am going with katana. As halv said, lj uses up another skill slot as well, so you have to miss out on hiding or resist, which makes using your meta char a lot harder.

At the moment katana is highest dps weapon in the game. I believe that with the new expansion they are making some changes to lumberjacking though, so that may change. An axe will make bigger red numbers pop up, but far less often and if you miss a hit with an axe then it still takes a bit before your next swing. With a katana if you miss a bit it doesn't matter as much because you swing a lot faster. That being said I do have an lj as well, but for my first meta I am going with katana. As halv said, lj uses up another skill slot as well, so you have to miss out on hiding or resist, which makes using your meta char a lot harder.