The best suggestion possible (admins please read)

Techno Destructo

Journeyman
Hello everyone,

First i would like to introduce myself. My name is Ben and I have played UO for over half of my natural life. I started when I was 12 years old when my cousin showed me the game via luring some idiot into the woods and pking him. I was hooked from then on out. What I would like to engage you all on here I feel is very important and needs some attention. Also worthy of mention here, as it relates to my post, is that I am a professional falconer in real life and have a golden eagle that I have trained.

This is about raptors. No I am not talking about football or anything stupid like that. I am talking about real raptors.

Raptors are birds of prey and they are friggin' sweet. And by friggin' sweet I mean that they are totally awesome. I've been talking with many others in the IRC chat room and most can confirm after I have swayed them that raptors deserve a spot in the UO environment. When I think "what could possibly improve this server?" the first thought I always have is "Raptors." Let me explain a couple things to you about raptors.

Currently the only raptor in UO are eagles and they are surprisingly weak compared to what they can do in real like. I mean, did you know that bald eagles have an average of a 6 foot wing span? Here's some good facts for your education on this topic:

1. Raptors are birds of prey. They include eagles,condors, osprey, hawks,owls, falcons, buzzards, harriers, kites, etc.
2. Raptors have talons which are used for severing spinal cords and perching.
3. Raptors have hooked bears which are used tor tearing flesh.
4. Raptors are the apex predators of planet earth and have no natural predators.
5. Raptors have incredible eye site. They can see their prey from hundreds of feed in the air or hear a mouse step on a twig from hundreds of feet away.
6. Raptors don't have stomachs, which means that they basically have to murder shit all the time or they'll die.
7. Raptors murder shit all the time.
8. Raptors can be trained to hunt for you and bring you things like turkeys (I have a pet golden eagle in real life who does this for me all the time, also, there is a disturbing lack of turkeys on UOF too).
9. The peregrine falcon is the fastest animal on the planet and can reach speeds of 200mph in a dive (it's a raptor)
10. Raptors just look freaking cool.

Now I know what you're thinking, "Who the hell cares?" Well I'll tell you. I do, and you better too, because if a raptor ever heard you say this shit it would probably dive bomb you and eat all your gold cause raptors don't give a damn about loot. They are the apex predators and only give a shit about murdering the hell out of as many things as they can before they die. I think that the fact that I can only tame eagles and those eagles are pretty weak is insulting. I think that there need to be more raptors in UOF and it's pretty ludicrous to me that there aren't any and the ones that exist are so underpowered and worthless. It's really an insult. They are fierce predators that are pretty much ninjas with wings.

Think about it, who would win in a fight? A shark or a raptor? I'll give you a hint, the raptor would win. Obvious.

With all that being said I really hope the admins address this issue and heed my passionate plea for these amazing and sweet creatures. UOF needs to step the game up on this regard. I want to be able to have a sweet raptor pet that I can take with me and help me hunt in dungeons. Please. I am certain the outpouring of posts here will convince you if I haven't already.

Pic related.

MPj44Jf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Messremb

Grandmaster
LOL give this guy a special buffed bird just for the lols that can be had from this thread.

Also I think last years Turkeys should make an appearance.

halygon

Grandmaster
Sweet pic.

As for integrating birds of prey into UOF -- I'm sure it can be done, but it seems like this would be another taming pet. If so, where on the scale of pets would it sit? Obviously it would be below a fire-breathing dragon or wyrm, which begs the question, why would anyone use them if they could have more powerful pets? Maybe if they were semi-powerful and only took one slot, and had pack instincts, then ti may be worthwhile to have a couple on ya. But they are non-magical, which is where all the high-end damage comes from.

I think overall that there is not much of a place for them on UO.

Techno Destructo

Journeyman
Sweet pic.

As for integrating birds of prey into UOF -- I'm sure it can be done, but it seems like this would be another taming pet. If so, where on the scale of pets would it sit? Obviously it would be below a fire-breathing dragon or wyrm, which begs the question, why would anyone use them if they could have more powerful pets? Maybe if they were semi-powerful and only took one slot, and had pack instincts, then ti may be worthwhile to have a couple on ya. But they are non-magical, which is where all the high-end damage comes from.

I think overall that there is not much of a place for them on UO.

I like this idea because then I could have a gang of vicious assault raptors to do my bidding. They should have a decent DPS so I can use 3 or 4 of them to kill stuff while I sit back and enjoy just how cool they are. Phoenix's were pretty cool but I don't know if they spawn here. Something similar to that, just to honor the glorious winged beasts know as raptors.

eppy

Grandmaster
I like this idea because then I could have a gang of vicious assault raptors to do my bidding. They should have a decent DPS so I can use 3 or 4 of them to kill stuff while I sit back and enjoy just how cool they are. Phoenix's were pretty cool but I don't know if they spawn here. Something similar to that, just to honor the glorious winged beasts know as raptors.
Phoenixes do indeed spawn here.

Luxvero

Journeyman
AWESOME
well, now i want to raise a mid tamer if only to walk about with 5 raptors.

Yeha on Sosaria with mystical creatures regular animals dont stand a chace.

Dont we have Harpies? A magical raptor like the phoenix would be plausible as well.

Tthey could be pets worthing having as a gang of 5, until you reach 74 taming when Young Dragons are the pets of choice.

Techno Destructo

Journeyman
Traditionally and even in mythology birds of prey (raptors) have played a huge role. It would be wise of the admins to at least give credence to how bad-ass these natural predators are.

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
While I admire the enthusiasm about the raptors, I find myself wondering about the suggestion being the "best one ever". I get that birds of prey are amazing predators. However I must point out that the game has cows too. Ever have one fall on you? You'd be as dead as a bird tearing your eyes out. Passionate idea, but other fish to fry man.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Tapatalk

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
Oh, and I'm sorry but I gmed wrestling with an eagle recently :)

EDIT: Cool pic, but really bad photoshop job ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

crome

Grandmaster
I'd say this would be a great addition but think outside the box and allow a certain unused skillet to have them sort of ranger skills

Camping and animal lore for instance

Techno Destructo

Journeyman
That would be a great idea, you have a meta raptor, your camping skill determines some sort of additional buff, or ability to add meta raptor relics, it could augment other skills and finally make camping a skill worth having.

Auto log with your bird anywhere if you have a bed roll and kindling