Taming is slow?

Maou

Neophyte
Im at 74 real taming, and I found a taming guide which tells that the tamer got gains like every 7 mins or so. Im getting 0.5 skill points in a hour and thats good if I get that. What am I missing? Im taming critters on dagger island, bulls overland and scorpions in shame. Has taming been changed to be harder?

Yoko Kurama

Master
Dagger island is a terrible place to farm. The place you are at is the slowest gains, by 90 or so it will speed up a good deal.
As a side note, at 74 taming you can tame a pair of young dragons which have fire breathe, and magery equal to that of a white wyrm (wit slightly less mana) Consider at 74, you are way too low for bulls...you are just getting to the level for gharts and grizzly, don't tame anything else while you are outside. Or, just tame scorps till 82 or so, then small hellcats till 92, lava lizards, 95 hellcats/hellhounds.
Grab a pair of high stat youngs, train them up, and you can farm anything a gm tamer can farm. It is obscene how overpowered these little monsters are, and you get to ride a mount...basically if you took 2 white wyrms, gave them fire breathe, and took away 100 mana and 200 life, you have young dragons.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
Dagger island is a terrible place to farm. The place you are at is the slowest gains, by 90 or so it will speed up a good deal.
As a side note, at 74 taming you can tame a pair of young dragons which have fire breathe, and magery equal to that of a white wyrm (wit slightly less mana) Consider at 74, you are way too low for bulls...you are just getting to the level for gharts and grizzly, don't tame anything else while you are outside. Or, just tame scorps till 82 or so, then small hellcats till 92, lava lizards, 95 hellcats/hellhounds.
Grab a pair of high stat youngs, train them up, and you can farm anything a gm tamer can farm. It is obscene how overpowered these little monsters are, and you get to ride a mount...basically if you took 2 white wyrms, gave them fire breathe, and took away 100 mana and 200 life, you have young dragons.

I did it exactly as recommended by Yoko way back in the day and taming was a beast even back then . This is a great guild follow and you should do well.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
Are pretamed grizzlies and gharts okay? Thanks for your input.

Yes if you can get another tamer at your skill level to tame with you, it will go much quicker, tame release, tame release, kill.
Do not forget to eat and drink it used to help.
and taming hellkitties made it go faster.

side note, I took up peace to tame hellkitties and never took hardly anything of worth with me, have your rune book prefilled with recalls and a macro to recall out .

Dimok

Master
Im at 74 real taming, and I found a taming guide which tells that the tamer got gains like every 7 mins or so. Im getting 0.5 skill points in a hour and thats good if I get that. What am I missing? Im taming critters on dagger island, bulls overland and scorpions in shame. Has taming been changed to be harder?
Expect .5 gains an hour if you're lucky throughout the hell levels.

Yoko Kurama

Master
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/anim.php

Look here, and it shows the taming and retame for every creature. Keep in mind, you want to be taming 15-25 points ABOVE the taming...for example, at 50 a brown bear or llama with 35...for gharts and grizzly. 59.1...in other words, right about 75 they become perfect...look at the retame 65.1 for once, 71.1 for twice..so for the retames, around high 70s and low 80s...but keep in mind the dungeon bonus is HUGE so at around 82-85 just move on to small hellcats...slightly below the threshold, but with dungeon bonus you will gain more off the fails...Same with large hellkittens, its 89.1, but I would start those at like 95 or 96.

If you get bored while taming or waiting for the hellkittens to respawn, just port town and find some afks and release your pets on them...will make the time fly by.

ps- as Soulmate said above, you need peacemaking.

Bromista

Grandmaster
You are in prime position to dungeon tame. Go to small hellcats. You're just now in the sweet spot and you should get at least one point an hour, sometimes more.

You actually just got through the toughest part of taming, the lull between scorpions (stop those at 70) and hellcats (start at about 73)

For those wondering, in-between you can hit some open world stuff like grizzles and white wolves. Look for second tames which is easier to find of open world non aggressive spawn but you still may still wanna find a friend or random person to chain tame with. Second and third tame scorpions will be better but don't sit and do fresh scorpions above 70 that's incorrect.

Stay away from overworld, dungeons is where it's at. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just slowing you down.

Yoko is advising you to tame things for much longer than necessary. Tame only 10-12 points above the base requirement for any creature before moving up. If you want better benchmarks check my taming guide in the guides section.

And fuck young dragons...bad advice again.

Quit it with the bad tamer advice ppls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
You are in prime position to dungeon tame. Go to small hellcats. You're just now in the sweet spot and you should get at least one point an hour, sometimes more.

You actually just got through the toughest part of taming, the lull between scorpions (stop those at 70) and hellcats (start at about 73)

Stay away from overworld, dungeons is where it's at. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just slowing you down.

Yoko is advising you to tame things for much longer than necessary. Tame only 10-12 points above the base requirement for any creature before moving up. If you want better benchmarks check my taming guide in the guides section.

And fuck young dragons...bad advice again.

Quit it with the bad tamer advice ppls.

Hey now , I had a set of maxed out young Dragons, I made some decent cash with them in my in-between times, it was enough to buy a 18x18...and the Dungeons are the best way to gain.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I think I say that because my first char I really developed was my tamer and I too farmed with young dragons to supplement my tamer. Looking back I wish I hadn't messed with 'em because it ended up taking me an entire month to GM taming relatively casually.

This is a much more effective way to just go for it and tame until you can control dragons. You will have virtually no control of your tames as you go but you don't need to if you just gut it out and get it done:

68b5139770.png

That's my third tamer. This is how I did my second tamer. I highly recommend it.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
I think I say that because my first char I really developed was my tamer and I too farmed with young dragons to supplement my tamer. Looking back I wish I hadn't messed with 'em because it ended up taking me an entire month to GM taming relatively casually.

This is a much more effective way to just go for it and tame until you can control dragons. You will have virtually no control of your tames as you go but you don't need to if you just gut it out and get it done:

68b5139770.png

That's my third tamer. This is how I did my second tamer. I highly recommend it.

I was never very good at pvm,,,,I think I may have indeed read your guide not sure . but good on you :) thank you for contributing in a positive manner.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I was never very good at pvm,,,,I think I may have indeed read your guide not sure . but good on you :) thank you for contributing in a positive manner.
I have always helped as much as I can in the tamer department because that's the number one hurdle for people. It's boring. It's not difficult, but mean it should be somewhat time consuming. Best way to make money in the game though and being able to make money means more likelihood to stick around on the server. So I'm always glad to help a newb tamer :)

Better than driving ppl away from the server amirite?

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
I have always helped as much as I can in the tamer department because that's the number one hurdle for people. It's boring. It's not difficult, but mean it should be somewhat time consuming. Best way to make money in the game though and being able to make money means more likelihood to stick around on the server. So I'm always glad to help a newb tamer :)

Better than driving ppl away from the server amirite?

Yes, you are right...I am just the type of person that likes to examine all angles , although I do not always agree with you or you with me , we both want what is best for the server. In the end we are both respectful to each others opinion.

Maou

Neophyte
Thanks for the advice. Where do you find the hellcats? Is fire the best location? Is there a rune library for the locations somewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigers Eye

Novice
Wait do I not actually need animal lore for taming???? I will just put it on another char for when I need it, I thought it was the thing that helped control. I may just emote kiss you if i see you in game bromista.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bromista

Grandmaster
Wait do I not actually need animal lore for taming???? I will just put it on another char for when I need it, I thought it was the thing that helped control. I may just emote kiss you if i see you in game bromista.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
You do not need it while training. The guide goes into greater detail as to why but I'll repeat it here I guess.

You need lore for control only. While training you do not need to command your tames (if you kite them to spawn to be kilked) since they auto-follow once tamed.

If you just ebolt your tames then it really doesn't matter if you have lore or not.

Having 0 lore allows you to invest extra skill points into things like hiding, wrestle, resist, eval, etc. You should always have peace while taming so you can do aggressive spawn in dungeons which means you need all the skill pts you can get!

Maou

Neophyte
Ugh.. I still keep gaining 0.5 points / hour on average. Doing the hellcats now. I wouldn't say taming is too hard but it sure ain't easy.

Xiulan

Master
So I'm following the advice to add peacemaking (which I assume also requires music?) and I'm wondering what skills I can get away with reducing to make room for it... Animal lore? Anatomy? Meditation?