WTS Shard's First Valorite Runic Crafting Services!!!

I figured that it would be very close to a magic vanq man. I've hit against naked using the magic perfect short spear for 40+ too. Keep testing naked if you have time and let me know if you ever do more than 50.

In the meantime I'm going to continue making tailors as horned and barbed kit armor is actually useful in pvp outside of CTF.

18 now and contemplating deleting my blue lol.

jeffe

Master
I was present during the testing of the new AR changes.. I thought the damages were low.

Originally, there was a bug in the damage formula that Adam discovered when testing the AR changes (we are currently using the changes I speak of). This was fixed. There were also comments made about how base damage was initially calculated. Something to do with using a RNG or doing some kind of dice roll (I can't recall exactly what was stated). Then the AR changes were made.

Originally (on production shards Ren era and here until recently) your hit did damage against a particular piece of armor and tested against the pieces AR value in order to nullify or absorb a portion of the damage.

The change we currently have tests against the entire AR value of a player regardless of where the hit lands. So while a gorget may only be a non-exceptional plain leather gorget if the rest of the suit is Invuln it will test against the high 30ish complete AR the suit has. This was never how AR was intended to work with original damage formulas (which we still use).

So let's change back? There has to be a balance somewhere. Armor is now OP; reverting AR absorbtion is going to make magic and colored metal armor under powered. I've read that some places have tweaked the AR values of individual pieces in order to have a more balanced system.

If we were to revert to the original damage reduction formulas armor values must be tweaked in order for armor to be useful.

Currently, an invuln leather gorget provides about as large of an AR value as that of a barbed leather gorget. This doesn't seem appropriate.

I'll post specific formulas when I get home.

TL;DR: The AR damage reduction we currently use is unique to UOF.

halygon

Grandmaster
I think the new calculations are just fine, however the base damage of armor should be lessened and parry AR bonus lessened. Since AR is more powerful, it only stands to reason that the same AR we used prior to the changes would be OP now. This is how it turned out to be.

For example a set of barbed is what? 31AR? Lessen this to like 21AR. Do the same sort of changes to all other armor to hit that sweet spot where AR is good, but not OP. Easy peasy.

Last edited by a moderator:

BeerJedi

Grandmaster
On a completely random note - this thread has had some interesting twists and turns for an auction. :p I don't think i've ever had a thread go 5 legit pages before.

wendy whoppers

Grandmaster
What a waste of 2 mil.

The minimum damage on a naked should do max damage like uoforever. Ie a gold runic spear or vanq should kill you in 3 hits pretty much every time.

Armour is bugged as here. It's impossible to kill someone on a dexer who has armour and half a brain. Spaso trammies die regardless.

jeffe

Master
Per Stratics August 2002: https://web.archive.org/web/20020806221626/http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/combat.shtml

1) Determine Speed of Attack.
2) Determine % Chance to Hit.
3) Randomly determine base damage, within weapon's damage range.
4) Determine Tactics Modifier to Damage Dealt to base damage.
5) Add STR Bonuses to Damage Dealt to base damage.
6) Add Anatomy Bonuses to Damage Dealt to base damage.
7) Add Lumberjack Bonuses to Damage Dealt to base damage.
8) Double all Spell-damage against non-players.
9) Check for magical defenses. (Reactive Armor, for example).
10) Modify for Chance to Block an Attack with / Damage Absorbed by Shield. (Ignore if Defender is not wearing a shield).
11) Determine Hit Location
12) Modify for Damage Absorbed by Armor
13) Halve all remaining damage.
14) Apply final damage.

Step 11)
Determine Hit Location *
(Stacking different pieces of armor/clothing will not result in a cumulative effect-- in short, stacking does not work). Listed in order of percentage chance to Hit Location.
Hit Location
% Chance Armor/Clothing protecting this Location
Body
44% Breastplates, Tunics, Dresses, Cloak, Shirts
Arms
14% Arm Plates, Chainmail Tunic, Sleeves
Head
14% Hats, Helmets
Legs/Feet
14% Leg Plates, Leggings, Pants, Skirts, Thigh Boots
Neck
7% Gorgets
Hands
7% Gauntlets, Gloves
* Percentage chance to Hit Locations may vary depending on the type of creature attacking (e.g., a rat would be more likely to hit the Legs/Feet area).

Step 12)
FORMULA: Damage Absorbed= Random value between of 1/2 AR to full AR of Hit Location's piece of armor.
AR
Damage Absorbed
3-5
5-10
8-15
10-20
13-25
15-30

This is just UO:R's rules. Obviously its been a decade and things have to be adjusted as the game evolves. This isn't a critique on the Shard at all. We really do need to address the bastardized AR damage absorption though.

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
I wouldn't call the weapon worthless, just hold onto it until these bugs get worked out. It's statistically the best weapon you can get in the game, that is never worthless

Fallen Angel

Grandmaster
Before ar changes:
I could kill kill mage WITHOUT alchemy(only finish)
now if i am don't use exp pot i am die like a girl FAST
AR changes good only for mages and people who like donation mask etc.
because now hit vs ar level u can easy dress mask and don worry if you get hit on the head
I am not bitching,but AR changes make me sad:(