Scum

Maller

Adept
We think of many types of scum on UO: from my pvm perspective I think of scum as the pvp groups that sweep through a dungeon, only kill players, and run past all mobs, except pets, come back, offer a rez, then kill again. I can offer more examples from a pvm perspective, but this is not the place. Some people think of 'scum' as the greifers who know the game so well, they are on the top of the very steep, very tall learning curve, that they seem to dance around the rules sometimes. From a pvp perspective, I imagine 'scum' to be someone who just lays down and dies with no resistance like someone doing an afk macro.

Now that I have laid down the basics of what I think of as in-game scum, I want to talk about the person who sits behind the computer.

I have 8 characters with the name Maller. I want people to know it is still me behind the keyboard, and that I can be trusted. I have many guildies that play the same way. Some people like to play different roles with different guilds and I respect that if they are able to avoid a conflict of interest among different guilds .

I would like everyone to remember that your actions behind the keyboard are a reflection of your true character. Do you pretend to be someone's friend then betray them? Do you listen to private conversations then tell everyone about it? Do you watch for someone to park their car then tell your buddies where it can be stolen? Of course not!

I know... It's just a game, but, people donate real money because they enjoy this game.

This is my definition of 'scum': A person, who through deceit and subterfuge, attempts to gain access to another person's confidential information and/or property for the purpose of self-gain.

If we allow true scum into our guilds, we allow the destruction of UOF.
@Skye Wolfbane , @GluttonySDS , @Swayze , @Bobby123, @God.RG

Maller

Adept
Thank you for reading my essay and your quick response, Swayze. This was just me venting and a message to the leaders of large groups I know about.

Cack

Grandmaster
Yea man just the other day I had the urge to go kill a dragon irl....unfortunately they don't exist so I went back to work.
Point is who you are in game can reflect who you are irl but rarely does.
There are personality types drawn to different playstyles but I doubt a crafter ingame....has the sudden urge to rifle through his bods to find the best one or a tamer....getting the urge to go tame a chicken.
However, personality types drawn towards heavy pvp CAN, not always, resemble their characters. I've noticed there is a small percentage of ppl who sct irl just as they would on their red. They are still children.
Most of us have grown up.
My eighteen cents...

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
The lesson of Ultima was no matter what you do here you're still who you are back home.
Those who don't know the lines not to cross really need help and should stop playing.
It call comes down to morality or in this games case... virtue.

Maller

Adept
I guess I was being too subtle. Here is what I meant: Any and all account hacker should be banned immediately. Affected accounts should be limitedly frozen until resolution. If you know of anyone pulling this crap, report them to admins asap.

K A Z

Grandmaster
We in POWER have a good system of preventing scum to join our ranks - we let everyone sit in our TS and have a talk to the aussies. If you're an asshole and a scumbag, they'll find out.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Ive played with many diffrent groups on UOF in the last 2 years (Trin, Napz, Clone, ABC/Goons, POWER) and im yet to come across someone i would call a "true scumbag" mayb cos im super careful about who i co own and let use my stock/butler ect.

IMO nothing u can do to someone using game mechanics would make you a true scumbag only the abuse of someones trust (friending people to loot house/acct ect ect) and ive only heard of a handfull of these situations in 2yrs. apart from being a bunch of arseholes i think the UOF community as a whole is pretty good.

God.RG

Grandmaster
We in POWER have a good system of preventing scum to join our ranks - we let everyone sit in our TS and have a talk to the aussies. If you're an asshole and a scumbag, they'll find out.
the aussies are on point 99.9% of the time too. lol

Cack

Grandmaster
Trust fuck-to screw someone over by gaining their trust and subsequently violating it.
Ex.
I got trust fucked by my friend. He cleaned my house out.
Gluttony chargong 200k to join eqms..."saving"ppl....Trust Fucked.
Edit latet....

SpyderBite

Expert
I guess I was being too subtle. Here is what I meant: Any and all account hacker should be banned immediately. Affected accounts should be limitedly frozen until resolution. If you know of anyone pulling this crap, report them to admins asap.

But accounts aren't "hacked". They're compromised. In order for an account to be hacked somebody would need to illegally access the UOF servers with malicious intent. That isn't happening.

People are sharing accounts, telling their gf/bf/guildmates their passwords, using far too simple passwords for their game and/or email accounts.

I really hate the misuse of the word "hack" these days. :p

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
@GluttonySDS I wanna come in your TS. See how the other half lives.

I think it goes without saying that account hackers should be reported. I sit and talk to just about every member I recruit for like an hour. True story. Poor citizens. But, I like to think it gives me a feel for the person and what they want from the game. However, I've been scammed too. But the worst time was by a 16 yr old kid who cleaned out our guild chests. So after 2.5 years, we've be able to avoid serious scum.

We do however, have quite a few Scallywags.