Removing recall

Don Key

Master
Okay, that title is a little misleading, so let me explain.

As a former Siege player, I don't care much for the recall spell. BUT, this being a free shard, and having played on many free shards, I know the average player wouldn't want to play without recall. So I don't think it should be removed altogether. With that said, there are other options that accomplish the same principal.

1. Increase the casting time of recall.
2. Disallow recall into and out of dungeons.

Recall decreases player interaction by letting people go straight to the spawn they want to kill by bypassing the entire dungeon spawn. This not only doesn't make sense, but it cheapens everyone's dungeon crawling experience. It is supposed to be difficult to get down to lvl5 shame to fight the blood elementals.

It also makes it too easy to avoid the pks (player interaction). As others have mentioned, getting killed is part of the game. It is nearly impossible when you can just recall out of whatever it is you're doing to get to safety.

This would increase the action around the entrances to dungeons exponentially and that would be a good thing.

Forgive me if this has been suggested already.

K A Z

Grandmaster
doesn't work nowadays. Every Shard that has tried that failed horrible. People don't want your super hard UO in 2014.

Lord Hampton Royce

Grandmaster
i like this idea. there needs to be a difficulty adjustment to this game. this game is too old and too easy to just remain the same.

i like the no recalling in dungeons. i also like the idea of taking longer to cast.

to add to this i think a cool concept would be DUNGEONS being actual dungeons. aka difficult monsters with good loot. why dont we test something along these lines. for example, revamp a dungeon like despise:

no mounts allowed in the dungeon
monsters are same monsters but stronger and with better gold drops
no recalling out of dungeon
no gating out of dungeon

dungeons are meant to be deep, difficult areas that involve teamwork.

theres no competitive or interesting or fun play involved with recalling 10 feet from a titan spawn, using your 2 dragons to kill them and collect your 10k gold and recall home.

there needs to be a more MMORPG experience. monsters in dungeons should involve teamwork. you should be in a group of 2-3 people to successfully farm in dungeons, and have to carry out your loot like a real dungeon.

im sure there will be PKs in this dungeon, so maybe you bring a group of 5-6 blues to farm. there being no mounts involves more coordination and skill to successfully pk people, and allows it easier for farmers to run away.

theres a sense of nostalgia when back in the day youd have a small group of ppl just to kill a dragon. farming these days is just so boring.

again - try this concept out on one dungeon and see how it goes. i think itll yield some fun results

Geriatric

Expert
i dont mind hampton royce's idea
but if you want better drops from the monster that spawns on level 5
and have to walk into it from the dungeon entrance

give us the trammel bags of sending
last thing i want to do is spend 15 minutes getting to the location and be there for 5 minutes before im over loaded with gold

you would just have tamers running around on the first floor killing half a dozen earth eles with a dragon and running for 2 minutes to the dungeon exit to drop off the gold they have accumulated
if you made gold weigh 1/10th of what it is now it might be worthwhile

Don Key

Master
i dont mind hampton royce's idea
but if you want better drops from the monster that spawns on level 5
and have to walk into it from the dungeon entrance

give us the trammel bags of sending
last thing i want to do is spend 15 minutes getting to the location and be there for 5 minutes before im over loaded with gold

you would just have tamers running around on the first floor killing half a dozen earth eles with a dragon and running for 2 minutes to the dungeon exit to drop off the gold they have accumulated
if you made gold weigh 1/10th of what it is now it might be worthwhile

No trammel bags. Come on. Just run out and bank your gold. It isn't that difficult. OR, bring a pack horse or beetle, or have someone else run your gold out.

I would be fine with it if it was only one dungeon. Similar to how Khaldun is setup, where there are just better drops because of the risk involved. Say turn Shame, for example, into a dungeon where you can't recall/gate in or out.

CVegas

Grandmaster
Okay, that title is a little misleading, so let me explain.

As a former Siege player, I don't care much for the recall spell. BUT, this being a free shard, and having played on many free shards, I know the average player wouldn't want to play without recall. So I don't think it should be removed altogether. With that said, there are other options that accomplish the same principal.

1. Increase the casting time of recall.
2. Disallow recall into and out of dungeons.

Recall decreases player interaction by letting people go straight to the spawn they want to kill by bypassing the entire dungeon spawn. This not only doesn't make sense, but it cheapens everyone's dungeon crawling experience. It is supposed to be difficult to get down to lvl5 shame to fight the blood elementals.

It also makes it too easy to avoid the pks (player interaction). As others have mentioned, getting killed is part of the game. It is nearly impossible when you can just recall out of whatever it is you're doing to get to safety.

This would increase the action around the entrances to dungeons exponentially and that would be a good thing.

Forgive me if this has been suggested already.

"PK Interaction" LOL. C'mon dude, you know EXACTLY what interaction you're referring to. I'm sure you're not a PKer and this wouldn't benefit you, right?

Easy_buddy

Journeyman
I like Siege(compared to the rest of OSI) and the lack of recall gave the game a neat twist. However, my mule gets flagged by reds pretty damn frequently here. I'd stop playing if recall had it's cast speed increased at all.

Psymon

Master
Recall is one of the things I Liked about uo... Other games needed something like Recall... Because in the end we need things to build twards... UO has it... The game is almost 20 years old and people still play... The Draw is there... The time walking around isn't an adventure...

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Recall is one of the things I Liked about uo... Other games needed something like Recall... Because in the end we need things to build twards... UO has it... The game is almost 20 years old and people still play... The Draw is there... The time walking around isn't an adventure...

Forgive me if I have interpreted this incorrectly and correct me if, indeed, I am travelling down the wrong path, but walking around without a mount really does provide a renewed sense of adventure with excitement to boot. Believe it or not, players rely more on methods and tactics that are not used when one has the privilege of tapping their heels and galloping off into the sunset. Perhaps add what has already been said to an event style occasion, at least then we could see if it would work or not and have no fear about changing it back to normal if expectations are not met.

Chesty Puller

Grandmaster
giphy.gif
No recall in dungeons? Wouldn't this kill solo barding?? Basically handing solo players to PKs on a silver plate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kael

Master
i like this idea. there needs to be a difficulty adjustment to this game. this game is too old and too easy to just remain the same.

i like the no recalling in dungeons. i also like the idea of taking longer to cast.

to add to this i think a cool concept would be DUNGEONS being actual dungeons. aka difficult monsters with good loot. why dont we test something along these lines. for example, revamp a dungeon like despise:

no mounts allowed in the dungeon
monsters are same monsters but stronger and with better gold drops
no recalling out of dungeon
no gating out of dungeon

dungeons are meant to be deep, difficult areas that involve teamwork.

theres no competitive or interesting or fun play involved with recalling 10 feet from a titan spawn, using your 2 dragons to kill them and collect your 10k gold and recall home.

there needs to be a more MMORPG experience. monsters in dungeons should involve teamwork. you should be in a group of 2-3 people to successfully farm in dungeons, and have to carry out your loot like a real dungeon.

im sure there will be PKs in this dungeon, so maybe you bring a group of 5-6 blues to farm. there being no mounts involves more coordination and skill to successfully pk people, and allows it easier for farmers to run away.

theres a sense of nostalgia when back in the day youd have a small group of ppl just to kill a dragon. farming these days is just so boring.

again - try this concept out on one dungeon and see how it goes. i think itll yield some fun results

This would be really cool for a single, super dungeon. Would certainly be a spot to go with guildies if you were looking for a fight

Chesty Puller

Grandmaster
Extreeeeeemmmly mega dumb
This would be really cool for a single, super dungeon. Would certainly be a spot to go with guildies if you were looking for a fight

This sounds a little more sane.. And I could support something along these lines.

Last edited by a moderator: