RDA 'revamp'

jeffe

Master
I think everyone was clamoring for a concept like the 'gem of portals' before the specific item was released. I think the mistake they made with the idea is they made it a static item with extreme costs. Whereas, it should be a consumable resource at a fraction of the cost (think 50k if you wanted special RDA tracking powers for 24 hours or some such bullshit).

The RDA playing field is tilted in favor of established and wealthy players on the shard, because of these crystals. It's hard for me to believe that this what is best for shard. If I were a new player looking into the system only to find out you gotta spend 3 million gold just to play with the big boys? I dunno, I think that's not so good. Just my opinion though.

Like Bromista says make the timers for each portal different and random. Or do whatever you want I don't care.

Amberracuda

Novice
I think everyone was clamoring for a concept like the 'gem of portals' before the specific item was released. I think the mistake they made with the idea is they made it a static item with extreme costs. Whereas, it should be a consumable resource at a fraction of the cost (think 50k if you wanted special RDA tracking powers for 24 hours or some such bullshit).

The RDA playing field is tilted in favor of established and wealthy players on the shard, because of these crystals. It's hard for me to believe that this what is best for shard. If I were a new player looking into the system only to find out you gotta spend 3 million gold just to play with the big boys? I dunno, I think that's not so good. Just my opinion though.

Like Bromista says make the timers for each portal different and random. Or do whatever you want I don't care.

maybe the most logical post thus far in thread. I also agree with a few others and mostly @Bromista
This conversation should not be buried.
Ty for the people that have looked at the situation objectively; and tryyy to discuss it rationally.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I would like an open discussion of idea's for making RDA's a more 'accessible' option.

Is content that is bordering on inaccessible to some.

Accessible not have to mean true newb status.

Proper variation is a stop gap. Allows more players to experience content. Keeps guilds from monopolizing content.

IDOCs need variable timers. Rare tamables need variable spawns and timers. Rare deco needs variable spawns and timers. Portals (formerly known as random dungeon adventures) need more of an element of randomness given BACK to them. Key word being back.

Inarguable facts.

Bobby123

Grandmaster
Is content that is bordering on inaccessible to some.

Accessible not have to mean true newb status.

Proper variation is a stop gap. Allows more players to experience content. Keeps guilds from monopolizing content.

IDOCs need variable timers. Rare tamables need variable spawns and timers. Rare deco needs variable spawns and timers. Portals (formerly known as random dungeon adventures) need more of an element of randomness given BACK to them. Key word being back.

Inarguable facts.

damn for once i have to agree with bromista !

something is very wrong !

Faytality

Staff member
I say randomize the RDA timers. No one should know exactly when they should pop. Maybe a 4 hour minimum wait, and after that a 2 hour window when they can pop. Or just make the timer truly random. Put more random in a random dungeon adventure.

cmcfsc

Neophyte
I started here recently and was pretty excited about the RDA concept. Figured I could stumble on a portal playing naturally and get cool rewards.

Nope.

This system is annoyingly non-UO-like. I think the biggest problem with all of the custom content on this server is how inaccessible it is to newer players... well, lemme break down how it went for me:

"Ok, time to play some UO again! ...hmmm this server looks cool! Talismans, RDAs, unique tames... all sorts of cool stuff!"

Then the more I play the more I realize how not only is all of this pretty hard to get into, but you need a guild to do a lot of the content. I was pretty excited about a UO experience with the custom content, which basically means I was largely excited for the custom stuff, and now I have this disconnect between expectations and reality. I don't think it's WRONG for newbies to expect to get this content early-ish, I think it's NATURAL.

Solution? Make some of this crap accessible to noobs. Put lesser versions of RDAs that spawn a lot more often, are complete-able by a well-played solo or duo effort, and give some token rewards like regs, mag items, gold, and a small chance at things like dragon eggs and relics. Give me some reason to think that I could stumble on a portal while farming or exploring and have that actually MEAN something.

I just put down WoW because I didn't want to deal with raids and guilds and all that, and picked up UO to enjoy the solo/duo experience more. I certainly didn't expect to read threads like this where the content that sounded so awesome was largely on lockdown by large guilds. I'll never see that content that sounded so cool because I don't feel like being in a large guild (very reasonable expectation for UO imo). I don't expect to get the same rewards or payoffs as a guild, but I do kinda expect access to at least a lesser version of the advertised custom content.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
I started here recently and was pretty excited about the RDA concept. Figured I could stumble on a portal playing naturally and get cool rewards.

Nope.

This system is annoyingly non-UO-like. I think the biggest problem with all of the custom content on this server is how inaccessible it is to newer players... well, lemme break down how it went for me:

"Ok, time to play some UO again! ...hmmm this server looks cool! Talismans, RDAs, unique tames... all sorts of cool stuff!"

Then the more I play the more I realize how not only is all of this pretty hard to get into, but you need a guild to do a lot of the content. I was pretty excited about a UO experience with the custom content, which basically means I was largely excited for the custom stuff, and now I have this disconnect between expectations and reality. I don't think it's WRONG for newbies to expect to get this content early-ish, I think it's NATURAL.

Solution? Make some of this crap accessible to noobs. Put lesser versions of RDAs that spawn a lot more often, are complete-able by a well-played solo or duo effort, and give some token rewards like regs, mag items, gold, and a small chance at things like dragon eggs and relics. Give me some reason to think that I could stumble on a portal while farming or exploring and have that actually MEAN something.

I just put down WoW because I didn't want to deal with raids and guilds and all that, and picked up UO to enjoy the solo/duo experience more. I certainly didn't expect to read threads like this where the content that sounded so awesome was largely on lockdown by large guilds. I'll never see that content that sounded so cool because I don't feel like being in a large guild (very reasonable expectation for UO imo). I don't expect to get the same rewards or payoffs as a guild, but I do kinda expect access to at least a lesser version of the advertised custom content.

There should definitely be valuable stuff that veterans can grind for so that the game remains interesting in end game. However, one of the concerns that some of us have mentioned is the fact that RDA's are one of the most effective ways to get relics. RDA's are dominated by larger guilds. That wouldn't be a problem except that relics are required for fully developing a character. Currently, relics are going into the hands of veterans which cuts newer players out of the relic market.

When newer players have difficulty obtaining the relics then it presents a problem. This is due to the fact that newer players must acquire the relics before they can start seeing real progress on their character development. I think its a shame that newer players are forced to focus so much time into playing a relic lottery. It would be better if newer players could see their effort translate into measurable progress. When they don't see that progress then it can be discouraging.

cmcfsc

Neophyte
I can't begin to tell you how deflating it was when I killed a crapton of OLs on my provo/archer (and holy crap are these mobs heavily contested), checked forums afraid that relic drop rates were something stupid-low like 1%, and realized it was probably faaaar less than that even.

By that point I had already realized RDAs weren't a thing I could do (I did jump in one that was done at WBB, but I couldn't even get close enough to hit it or even really target it through the mass of tamer dragons everywhere), so I figured I was supposed to develop my character through farming MOTM.

Are you kidding me? I can't even do that? I thought I'd be able to play a cool dexxer instead of having to provo for weeks on end, but simply put dexxers aren't something I can advance without massive resources that are largely closed to me unless I toss lots of money at it. So basically the server is like every other UO experience ever for me... make a provo, farm gold until bored unto death. The cool advertised stuff that appealed to me isn't meant for me, apparently, even though I'm pretty sure most people new to the shard come for similar reasons as I do.

Licinius

Novice
Some things are just not meant for new players to get to right off the bat. It should be that way. Otherwise everything would be too easy and everyone will be screaming "when are you guys going to add the next cool thing." So you can't walk into an RDA within the first week of playing. You must organize a group, which probably means getting in a guild or starting one, then figuring out what to do. As far as the meta relics for dexxers and mages, the same holds true. I'm pretty sure the Devs didn't mean for someone to start playing get a talisman and have a relic for it in the first few weeks of play. It should take time to find this stuff. So it doesn't drop when you've killed your hundredth motm. That's great it keeps it rare. The converse is that everyone has maxed out relics and talisman and there won't be anything to look for. Yes it's cool to be able to kill things solo that you wouldn't be able to with some cool abilities, but don't rush the end and you'll appreciate it more and it will be more fun.

Part of this game is making your own content not just playing what is fed to you. If you just burn through it all so fast you get in the rut of demanding more and more quick and easy things from the developers. There is so much more to this game than just grinding gold/rares and I think you are missing it when you just want to reach the end game (if there is an end game) so fast. Also reaching the end (whatever it is in anyone's mind) just brings you to burn-out/boredom faster, usually.

AssHat

Grandmaster
they all ready started to implement changes to RDAs, as of now, you can only spawn 1 of every RDA every 6 hours. meaning that people who collect these extra portal frags from other places, might not even get the chance to spawn a rda when they want to. so large guilds can still win by having all their members go farm the drop spots of the frag or just buy them up.

i found this out today and it already seems broken and unreasonable how limited you will be starting a rda.

cmcfsc

Neophyte
i think there's something in between though.

It's not really worth arguing though. I've read enough on the forums here to know the devs like the grind and punishments here, such as tamer pets losing skills on death. Personally, I think there'd be less people quitting from frustration if things like pet skill loss and the inaccessibility of content like RDAs for "new" players were toned down a bit.

it's a 20yo game most of us have played a number of times already. We have big-boy jobs and life frustrations to deal with... It's kinda hard to appreciate character development when all three aspects have some major frustration built into the process:

1. Tamers - Looooong climb up, tons of time, $$$, and energy just to get to 120, let alone training up pets individually, only to be punished on the back end for pet deaths.
  2. Mages - Tali seemed pretty interesting to me since I haven't pve'd as a pure mage before, but lack of slayer books makes this a no-go.
  3. Melee - cost of entry is also high. relics are expensive, and even 30 vanqs is excessive for new players. I know people quote 75k/hr for provo/archer templates but I don't think most people play at that level, or bring in NEAR that amount as new-ish players. So that's a crapton of farming and vendor hunting just to START the character's tali.
All three cost a LOT to get going (tamer: everything, mage: slayer books, melee: relics), with newer players entering the Relic Lottery game that's rigged against them to some degree. Hearing people say they haven't looted one in the year they've been playing is madness to me... but whatevs. I'll work towards melee tali and see if that keeps my interest... just kinda shocked at how much grinding is required, but at least I know why this place is named UO "Forever".

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
There will be RDA edits coming for sure.
I've been watching a lot of big guild doings pretty closely in the last 2 months.
I've talked to a lot of big guilds about various issues from IDOCS to RDA's to PvP(GvG in this case).

We are pretty certain what edits need to be made, also we want to redo RDA's with storylines etc for each one.

cmcfsc

Neophyte
Sounds exciting!

I can only hope there's some balance towards the mid-game, smaller groups, and less-established players. I like the tali concept, for example, but things like 30 vanqs seems geared to make it cost a decent amount for established players who'd been hoarding for a long time when the quest came out, not new people.

anyways curious to see what the RDA changes are!

Licinius

Novice
Changes coming to balance out dominating certain areas are great and hats off to the Devs for keeping an eye on it.

I won't argue that these things are expensive, its true. The reality is none of them are necessary to play. you can play a mage without a slayer book, you can play a dexxer without a talisman, and as far as tamer if you don't want to put the time in to do it, fine. These things only really allow you to collect gold faster. 30 Vanqs are not that hard to get, sure for a new player, but a new player should be figuring contacts, plays styles, what type of character they like, rather than "I should have the more advanced stuff at my fingertips because they are earning more gold than me faster." That's all it really comes down to. With the exception of tamers, the talisman doesn't really affect game play other than faster killing, hence faster gold, and the faster you go through the game the quicker people get bored. Again, I think the talisman was meant as a kind of 'as you play' thing so collecting vanqs and experience wasn't meant to be rushed to finish. You certainly can and should continue playing without it rather than "I'm out grinding my talisman, I can't do anything else," which is also what many players tend to do (new and old) because they think it's the path they must follow. Perhaps there is a middle ground, but I think going there would cheapen it and make it way too easy.

Faytality

Staff member
I definatly don't have a problem that rda's aren't accessible to the new kids. My problem is that as of now the only way to be consistently successful at rda's is to be in a zerg guild. Something that I don't want any part of.