Pets skill gains

Khaleesi

Apprentice
I don't understand why people ***** about tamers being op. The stat loss is rediculous considering how long it takes to reset up. Doing champs w regular dragon /ww usually results in 1 death due to pets getting mobbed and stuck. That sets the pet back for days and days.
If tamers are so op, the guys bitching about them (incorrectly) should make one to play. They rather spend the time being forum warriors and complain about the pvp aspects on a pvm taming thread

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
I don't understand why people ***** about tamers being op. The stat loss is rediculous considering how long it takes to reset up. Doing champs w regular dragon /ww usually results in 1 death due to pets getting mobbed and stuck. That sets the pet back for days and days.
If tamers are so op, the guys bitching about them (incorrectly) should make one to play. They rather spend the time being forum warriors and complain about the pvp aspects on a pvm taming thread
I get what you're saying here but there's a better way to doing this.

I had to figure it out after being as frustrated as you regarding pet stat loss especially in champs/rdas.

Go fresh tame a ww and dragon and bring em to the champ. If one dies go grab another fresh tame and repeat or keep a few crappy pets in stables for these only.

Top damage doesn't guarantee any thing and a fresh tame dying costs you nothing.

signature field is blank

Khaleesi

Apprentice
and by fresh tame you mean go tame one ? The thing is I am only 100 taming so taming a fresh ww or dragon is not super easy.
Your point about using a throw away pet makes my point. What if the roles were reversed and I said hey archer, you lost skill due to death. Why not use your throw away character to do rda or champs since top damage doesn't mean anything. Yes I'm still using the same tamer but using shitty pets is akin to asking an archer to use small crossbows since he lost his primary archery skill on death and it took a week to relevel it (if bows and crossbows were separate)

halygon

Grandmaster
and by fresh tame you mean go tame one ? The thing is I am only 100 taming so taming a fresh ww or dragon is not super easy.
Your point about using a throw away pet makes my point. What if the roles were reversed and I said hey archer, you lost skill due to death. Why not use your throw away character to do rda or champs since top damage doesn't mean anything. Yes I'm still using the same tamer but using shitty pets is akin to asking an archer to use small crossbows since he lost his primary archery skill on death and it took a week to relevel it (if bows and crossbows were separate)
I think a closer analogy may be an archer losing his/her best weapon as opposed to a throw away weapon.

...but discuss on!

Khaleesi

Apprentice
Losing a weapon means little as you can go and buy another (same) weapon for under 10k and most of the time for 2-3k. A tamer does not have that option -for that amount of gold

Losing your primary damage dealing skill with a week recovery time per death (or a similar type of monetary investment to regain via scrolls) is much more like it.

I'm willing to bet that if that sort of system was instituted, the non tamer player population would revolt and the server would lose quite a few players

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
I think a closer analogy may be an archer losing his/her best weapon as opposed to a throw away weapon.

...but discuss on!
Exactly, pets are a tamers weapon.

If a dexxer dies at a champ it usually results in them losing <--- their weapon. Us tamers don't lose anything except some skills points (1.0) per death. All skills except for resist gain rapidly. So you basically lose 8k for the resist ss.

A dexxer loses his armor and usually slayer weapon ~ 12.5k.

A tamer makes gold the entire time they are retraining their pets.

A dexxer has to buy or craft a new set of gear.

A tamer can run as lean as a a gm instrument 50 regs and 100 bandages and still make tons of gold.

A dexxer must have armor and weapons at all times... Even a bard dexxer has to be well equipped when Provo is broken or a new spawn jumps you...

You should have back up pets you don't care about dying and you should experiment with fresh taming because at 100 taming its the same process to tame a ww/dragon etc...

Try it!

signature field is blank

Khaleesi

Apprentice
Dexxer that dies loses nothing if he isn't looted. I run w my guild and most of the time the bodies are recovered in rda and champs.

Tamer however does lose something every single time. I'm an archer tamer so I lose my bow and my pets skills.

I can make an argument that a archer doesn't need armor and only needs a bow which is just like myself except I lose regs And pet skills

Before you say I don't have to lose my bow and to retrain to bard tamer, I'm gonna say that th archer or other dexxer can retrain to full bard /Mage and not lose anything either.

This isn't taking into account the time it takes to get a pet to gm magery and resist. A normal char can get both gm in a few days of afk macro. Pets take sooooo much longer and lose skill on every death

Wrexx

Grandmaster
Your argument about my pet dying and it costs an 8k SS is laughable. If my pet dies it looses 1.5 Poisoning SS- 50-70k, 1.5 Magery SS, 15k. Those have to be bought, cannot be trained. It also looses 1 Resist SS - 10k, debatable, can be trained. My meta is level 6. I would gladly pay a gold sink of 50k to prevent my pet from being stated.

Khaleesi

Apprentice
You are ducking the issue. If archers lost archery skills on every death and did less damage (and took a week for every death to regain skill) you wouldn't be saying don't bring your best gear. It's about skill loss and cost to retrain it whether it's time or gold

If you are trolling-fine, If you don't understand-read the numerous posts from myself and others who feel this is an unfair system

Slapass

Neophyte
Pets are weapons, nothing more nothing less. Stat loss helps keeps tamers in check. Since you can bond your pet, maybe we should turn on AOS style item insurance.

In UO there should always be a risk when you bring out your good weapons and gear.

Khaleesi

Apprentice
That's fine as long as you accept that archers or other non tamers can "own" 4-5 "weapons" and have to retrain each weapon when they die. I don't understand the venom on this shard for tamers. If you think they are op, make one. However most people who complain about tamers don't want the time/gold commitment to make one so they just ***** about them

oomf

Grandmaster
Pets are weapons, nothing more nothing less. Stat loss helps keeps tamers in check. Since you can bond your pet, maybe we should turn on AOS style item insurance.

In UO there should always be a risk when you bring out your good weapons and gear.

I think this sums it up nicely.

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
You are ducking the issue. If archers lost archery skills on every death and did less damage (and took a week for every death to regain skill) you wouldn't be saying don't bring your best gear. It's about skill loss and cost to retrain it whether it's time or gold

If you are trolling-fine, If you don't understand-read the numerous posts from myself and others who feel this is an unfair system
If I was trolling then I wouldn't be offering you tips or tricks to get around the issues you seem to have trouble with.

No one said all us tamers are guaranteed to have fully trained pets at all times and to expect so is just myopic.

If it takes a week to gain skills back after your pet dying 1 time then I don't know what to tell you.

If you keep ressing your pets in an area they are almost certain to die then I don't know what to tell you.

There's more than one way to do everything!

I used to get frustrated at the pet stat loss but then I decided to get better at playing my profession.

Ascertain whether your pets surviving each spawn is possible or a huge risk, set up a panic button that calls pets and recalls...

Try everything before just deciding things should be changed to make it easier for you.

signature field is blank

Slapass

Neophyte
I trained my tamer to GM without scrolls. And from what i recall, taming only requires 3 skills so what are you doing with your 4 other skills? But thats besides the point. You DONT LOSE your pet when you die, YOU dont get stat'ed when you die.

Most of you are complaining about skills that go over 100. Consider it a luxury that those skills even go over 100. You better bet im gonna be happy that you break your keyboard when i stat your pet. If not, then this wouldnt be UO.

Khaleesi

Apprentice
Lol you guys are liking each others posts, how cute. I appreciate the tips, I have been playing for a month so yes there are things I am still learning. I do have the all come and recall on macros but in champs they get surrounded and don't come all the time or get stuck.
@slappy, you aren't adding anything to the discussion, joined the board two weeks ago and claim to have a gm tamer. Sure thing. Regardless, you seem pretty angry at tamers so maybe you should play your gm tamer and join the dark side, unless you accidentally deleted him to start s newb char for blessed bandages for your dexxer