Pets skill gains

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
They will not change the resist gain speed or the pet loss. They feel it is a balance issue to keep pets and tamers from being OP. The response from devs is to never let your pets die or feed them SS and that they want 7x gm pets to be rare and a difficult thing to have, period. It will not change.

SERENITY NOW!!!

Bromista

Grandmaster
still crying about the non-existant red population bcuz ure bad?
I'm sorry. But there is no way to make yourself look dumber than you already have so stop trying so goddamn hard.

I'm complaining about pets. The level of reading comprehension required to understand that is minimal, college boy.

Lexington

Grandmaster
They will not change the resist gain speed or the pet loss. They feel it is a balance issue to keep pets and tamers from being OP. The response from devs is to never let your pets die or feed them SS and that they want 7x gm pets to be rare and a difficult thing to have, period. It will not change.

SERENITY NOW!!!

Honestly.... how is a 7x GM pet any more OP than a 5 or 6x GM?

84brian

Grandmaster
Yea not only did they nerf it with pet loss. They have it a double nerf with the slow gains. Now that's just too much. One or the other. I'd say.

Slice N Dice

Grandmaster
I've posted about this a few different times
they were long and detailed discussions

They made it very clear that they either
A.Do not care about tamers
B.Have never played a tamer

They won't change it.

I found a loophole for a casual player like myself.
If a pets stats get too low I just release and get new ones.
Hopefully they don't drop wild pet stats now that I said that

Bunnky

Grandmaster
I've posted about this a few different times
they were long and detailed discussions

They won't change it.

I found a loophole for a casual player like myself.
If a pets stats get too low I just release and get new ones.
Hopefully they don't drop wild pet stats now that I said that
Im casual as hellllll.. My pets die.. Well rarely. . Wanna avoid a pet death? Here's some tips:

-Make a new UOSteam macro:
Code:
if not findalias 'pet1' 
  headmsg 'Select first pet' 
  promptalias 'pet1' 
endif 
if not findalias 'pet2' 
  headmsg 'Select second pet' 
  promptalias 'pet2' 
endif 
if not findalias 'bandages' 
  headmsg 'Select bandages' 
  promptalias 'bandages' 
endif 
//Heal the lowest HP pet 
if @findobject 'bandages' 
  useobject 'found' 
endif 
if diffhits 'pet1' > diffhits 'pet2' 
  autotargetobject 'pet1' 
else 
  autotargetobject 'pet2' 
endif 
pause 5500

You can set this on loop if a pet dies and afk while it heals.. Or restock, whatever. This will autoheal the pet with the lowest HP. (set to hotkey)
-During a bandage, you can greater heal twice. Bandage - GH - GH - Bandage, repeat.
-Unless it's a Paragon, AW, or a boss of some sort, nothing does more damage than you can heal through with gm vet, magery (int 100), and this strategy.
-If your pet looks like it's gonna eat dirt, simply spam 'all come' and recall, heal up with the above macro, and go back and try again, or fight something easier.
-Try using fire field or poison field. These can disrupt a mobs ability to cast offensive spells, thus limiting the damage your Dragon takes.

My dragons have been 85-gm consistently, and even at their worse state, can still take on hard mobs, and can be healed through with almost no problems at all.

Slice N Dice

Grandmaster
Im casual as hellllll.. My pets die.. Well rarely. . Wanna avoid a pet death? Here's some tips:

You can set this on loop if a pet dies and afk while it heals.. Or restock, whatever. This will autoheal the pet with the lowest HP. (set to hotkey)
-During a bandage, you can greater heal twice. Bandage - GH - GH - Bandage, repeat.
-Unless it's a Paragon, AW, or a boss of some sort, nothing does more damage than you can heal through with gm vet, magery (int 100), and this strategy.
-If your pet looks like it's gonna eat dirt, simply spam 'all come' and recall, heal up with the above macro, and go back and try again, or fight something easier.
-Try using fire field or poison field. These can disrupt a mobs ability to cast offensive spells, thus limiting the damage your Dragon takes.

My dragons have been 85-gm consistently, and even at their worse state, can still take on hard mobs, and can be healed through with almost no problems at all.

My pets don't die much anymore because I don't bring them to champs anymore. I have only release a pair and tamed new ones twice. Once due to low skills, then another pair that just bonded were house trapped by some random. (side note, why is pet trapping allowed but spawn trapping isn't?)

I should get some hotkeys and more macros.
But outside of that macro, if you do champs and such you have to expect your pets to die every now and then.
More loss than gain.
But I'm not arguing about it because I don't expect any changes to be made.

Bunnky

Grandmaster
My pets don't die much anymore because I don't bring them to champs anymore. I have only release a pair and tamed new ones twice. Once due to low skills, then another pair that just bonded were house trapped by some random. (side note, why is pet trapping allowed but spawn trapping isn't?)

I should get some hotkeys and more macros.
But outside of that macro, if you do champs and such you have to expect your pets to die every now and then.
More loss than gain.
But I'm not arguing about it because I don't expect any changes to be made.
Aye, yes champs are more situational. The key for that is knowing when your pets are taking too much damage, or knowing when to pull them back for some healing if there are too many mobs. Better to be safe then sorry with pets at champs. Try being slightly more cautious and you may see less deaths.

Messremb

Grandmaster
Fire field does not disrupt mobs spells. Poison will force the mob to cure if it can be poisoned.

Also, ever tried an rda? i'm currently bonding throw away pets for rdas cause when I used my good ones they died 5 or 6 times.

And the most common way my pets die is I die. Either to an unlucky aggro situation or a pk.

Slice N Dice

Grandmaster
Fire field does not disrupt mobs spells. Poison will force the mob to cure if it can be poisoned.

Also, ever tried an rda? i'm currently bonding throw away pets for rdas cause when I used my good ones they died 5 or 6 times.

And the most common way my pets die is I die. Either to an unlucky aggro situation or a pk.
Yep, I stopped doing RDAs due to the mass pet casualty and getting high scores without reward everytime

halygon

Grandmaster
I find it odd that you feel like this. I mean you've been here for a good while, which means you know that the number one most updated profession on UOF is the tamer. New mounts, features, etc are added in ALL THE TIME. I mean, check out the meta pets and all of their accessories. UOF definitely cares about tamers.

Never played a tamer? Wow! The dev staff pretty much invented the tamers here on UOF. I am pretty sure they know the ins and outs of how they are played. Not to mention, many of the staff are players and have their own PvM characters -- including tamers.

Slice N Dice

Grandmaster
I find it odd that you feel like this. I mean you've been here for a good while, which means you know that the number one most updated profession on UOF is the tamer. New mounts, features, etc are added in ALL THE TIME. I mean, check out the meta pets and all of their accessories. UOF definitely cares about tamers.

Never played a tamer? Wow! The dev staff pretty much invented the tamers here on UOF. I am pretty sure they know the ins and outs of how they are played. Not to mention, many of the staff are players and have their own PvM characters -- including tamers.

Taking that from the perspective of a PR guy
updates are not always a good thing. so saying they are the most updated doesn't mean much by itself
I don't know what new mounts you're talking about. Did they finally add kirin due to my non stop requests?

from 0 tame to 74.1 there really isn't anything to do besides grind tame. From 74.1 there isn't anything until the 90s
It's a long grind especially if you don't play a ton.
could trow in swamp dragons, kirin, unis.
Maybe that stuff is coming Jan 1st and I don't know it yet

Meta pets and chromatic.
I like both of them and it's cool that they were added

Meta pets for me, would cost too much
I would need:
115 tame ps
120 tame ps
110 lore ps
115 lore ps
120 lore ps
egg
lots of time

The amount I get to play it's just not in the cards for me. too much gold and time needed

I don't know what chromatic dragons require or cost. I'll look into it

I'm not complaining, I like my 2 ww's
I'd love to see kirin and swamp dragons added
Maybe I'll get a chromatic

halygon

Grandmaster
Taking that from the perspective of a PR guy
updates are not always a good thing. so saying they are the most updated doesn't mean much by itself
I don't know what new mounts you're talking about. Did they finally add kirin due to my non stop requests?

from 0 tame to 74.1 there really isn't anything to do besides grind tame. From 74.1 there isn't anything until the 90s
It's a long grind especially if you don't play a ton.
could trow in swamp dragons, kirin, unis.
Maybe that stuff is coming Jan 1st and I don't know it yet

Meta pets and chromatic.
I like both of them and it's cool that they were added

Meta pets for me, would cost too much
I would need:
115 tame ps
120 tame ps
110 lore ps
115 lore ps
120 lore ps
egg
lots of time

The amount I get to play it's just not in the cards for me. too much gold and time needed

I don't know what chromatic dragons require or cost. I'll look into it

I'm not complaining, I like my 2 ww's
I'd love to see kirin and swamp dragons added
Maybe I'll get a chromatic
While its true that an update does not equal good, what I am saying is that it shows that the dev staff cares about tamers quite a bit to spend so much time and effort on them, not to mention, bend over backwards to try to make tamers as happy as possible. It is just some times they need to take an unpopular stance on a topic that they feel balances the gameplay for the better of the shard.

Slice N Dice

Grandmaster
While its true that an update does not equal good, what I am saying is that it shows that the dev staff cares about tamers quite a bit to spend so much time and effort on them, not to mention, bend over backwards to try to make tamers as happy as possible. It is just some times they need to take an unpopular stance on a topic that they feel balances the gameplay for the better of the shard.

Maybe they do care about taming

But the pet skill loss topic has come up again and again
What I'm seeing is the taming part of the community are saying the skill loss out weighs the skill gain
even if you hunt carefully and tend to your pets, the random pk will get you once in a while.

I only gained .2 resist on my meta in 2 days farming and if it dies it would lose 1.0 and be near impossible to raise back up

You can't keep magery and spell resist up.
I think if they skill loss for the other 5 skills stayed how it is now at 1 skill loss and magery and resist went to 0.1 per death it would be a much better balance.

agauo

Master
I can't believe people honestly can complain about the state of tamers on this shard needing buffs. It baffles my mind.. Its obviously the best PVM template by far and makes the most gold. If played correctly a tamer is BY FAR better in pvp than any other template. The way pets cast/firebreath here makes them ridiculously overpowered. There has to be some sort of risk involved.

IMO if anything you shouldn't be able to use skillscrolls on your pets. The trade-off could be to make it easier to gain skills on them.

yourdaddy

Grandmaster
I'm cool without SS on pets if you can raise skills normally, beyond GM, ans at a decent rate. Things were fine before the changes.

It blows my mind, though, that people ***** tamers who point issues because TAMING IS SO OP OOOOOO. Make a tamer, buy scrolls. 5 mil in PS for taming. 2 for lore, another 2 for provo. AT LEAST, 20 ss, usually 30-40.

That is a 17 mil investment just to have a template that nets you a 30-50k per hour bonus when compared to an archer.

And you didn't buy a meta or a stone or any relic yet.

Sonuva is worth around 20 mil including the meta, excluding my other pets.

And not only that, no champ would ever be done if noone wanted to invest that kind of gold into a char.