New player - general question

Alessondria

Hello everyone.

I have never played UO before and somehow got the notion to look into trying it. I browsed a bit but I'm unsure if this is a 100% FREE project. Do I need to own the disks or get them to unlock things? I really won't be buying into anything or start a subscription to get expansions or whatever if I decide to try it. So this would be my first (of a possible few) I will ask. I am guessing its 'well ya most of it is free but if you wanna do/ go/ have/ etc you gotta buy XYZ..' type deals.

Forgive me for my ignorance on this. And thanks for reading!

StarBaby

Grandmaster
this game is 100% free... there is a donantion system to help support the staff where you can get donation coins for new items.. but none of them effect gameplay ( wearables , house deco) or are needed

if you like I can look for you in game and help answer any questions

to install the game... go to home( top left of page) then click tab at the top center ( get playing) then download and play or free.

you will need some type of unzip if I remember correctlly

Alessondria

Hey cool! Thanks for the replies! So many 'free games' now-a-days that just string you along till you get hooked then slap you with the GIVE US YOUR MONEY HAHAHAHAHAHAHA suddenly. So when something is free or claims to be I just make sure 1st.

Now I see that UO has a strong PvP system. That's not really my thing. Is it mandatory to be flagged for PvP? ...like can I opt to not get involved and be left alone? I don't mind systems that have it but auto-consent isn't my thing. Most of the times people just abuse it and totally make weaker folks play things. Take their money and items and feel like they cool while the weaker folks just loose everything: items, gold, xp, etc.
That's my second biggest concern.

eppy

Grandmaster
Is it mandatory to be flagged for PvP? ...like can I opt to not get involved and be left alone?

This is the only real risk to playing UO. Take it away and you have a pretty damn mediocre monster basher. You will get killed and griefed. Let it go and accept it. Once you do, the game is much more fun.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Hey cool! Thanks for the replies! So many 'free games' now-a-days that just string you along till you get hooked then slap you with the GIVE US YOUR MONEY HAHAHAHAHAHAHA suddenly. So when something is free or claims to be I just make sure 1st.

Now I see that UO has a strong PvP system. That's not really my thing. Is it mandatory to be flagged for PvP? ...like can I opt to not get involved and be left alone? I don't mind systems that have it but auto-consent isn't my thing. Most of the times people just abuse it and totally make weaker folks play things. Take their money and items and feel like they cool while the weaker folks just loose everything: items, gold, xp, etc.
That's my second biggest concern.
Great question.

You won't flag for PvP (you're just blue, which means innocent), but others can attack you outside of town freely. There are a bunch of reds (murderers) here, and they will kill you, kill your mount, take your stuff (although they have no need for it) and laugh at you. Many will even try to find you once you resurrect and kill you again, knowing that you just ressed, and they gain nothing from doing it. They'd prefer to just make you feel like shit.

I wish I could sugar-coat it, but that's the truth. Many players here thrive on "griefing" others (excessively pissing other people off)... it's why they still play UO. They think it makes them good or something.

It's a beautiful game, and is completely free, but there are a large number of griefers here. You just have to decide if it's worth your time. (I'm not so sure.)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Well its not letting me select 4 of the 7 classes because it says I do not have the expansions.
You are allowed three characters per account here, and can have two accounts. Six chars is plenty. (You can spend real life money for another character slot, or earn in game gold and open another slot.)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Well its not letting me select 4 of the 7 classes because it says I do not have the expansions.
In this age of Ultima online those skills was not released so you cant use them. This server is based on a older verson of UO a (a far better one than the EA Pay to play servers)

Fenix

Journeyman
This is actually because the EA client is patched up for these expansions, yet limited content is available on this shard because it is retro-based (circa turn of the millenium'ish).
Even though it appears to be like you are missing content, believe us...the content you're missing was nothing special to begin with, and nobody else on the server is getting it (whether through donations or otherwise).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk