Meta Mage Talisman and Relics - Tweaks and Ideas

Duck Face

Grandmaster
Just a fyi I use the beserker talisman and it is not any cheaper training it than it would be to train a mage talisman. I spent hundreds of thousands just on refresh kegs to train up my relics. At an average champ spawn I burn through 3-5 kegs and don't go out hunting w/ less than 40 red pots and about 15 each of the others. The infected wounds eats through deadly poison pots too.

Most of the beserker relics drain your stamina in the same way the mana is drained from the mage talisman. The difference is that mana takes too long to restore. I believe the shadowy disciple relic gives some mana back now?

My suggestion to make these relics more useful would be to add some sort of mana return on a proc of every mage relic. Seems kinda AoS to me but if they want a mage to be able to compete on an even level (which I don't think was the intentions of introducing the mage talisman), they need some way to allow near constant casting.

Duck Face

Grandmaster
You're talking about relics not the basic talisman though

Well if we are talking just about the talisman, the mage one is more powerful than both the dexxer ones. The defense talisman reduces damage by 50%, The berserker increases damage by 50%, the mage one increases damage by 100%. Not sure it would be fair to buff the talisman as it is already 2 x more powerful than the other 2.

The relics would be where the improvements should be made imo.

A buff to exp gain for the mage talisman would be good though since they are required to meditate after dumping every time.

Lobstarr

Master
Sure it may increase damage by 2x but the attack speed pending mana regen offsets that. With a dexxer your constantly attacking whereas on a mage, once your mana depletes theres a huge pause.

eppy

Grandmaster
Before I fall asleep I'll say this: the mage talisman is the hardest by far to make fair. I can't touch bonuses or heals. I can't make summons too much stronger than they are now. All limited because of pvp implications. You all realize that and understand why. So you also can't have faster regeneration of mana but I can get you back a little less than you use. I can somewhat alter mobs but not to the point that it takes the place of discord. I don't really want the mage talisman to be a free damage bot for a tamer hence the aggro. I'm all ears as to making it better and more worthwhile but easier isn't really my goal. I asked many meta tamers how long it took them and then halved that to come up with the projections. The gain rates have been adjusted upward several times and currently the mage talisman gets 2x xp versus either melee. I apologize for my stream of conciousness but I'm writing this in bed on a phone.

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
I got you but for real man I've spent 20 hours on a mage tali and only 6k into level two and if I spent that much time on a meta pet I'd be level 3 at worst. This makes no sense. Why is it harder to level a talisman that you have to spend resources on compared to a meta relic that you can literally do nothing except heal the pet?

I'm sorry but it just doesn't make sense.

parsnip

Grandmaster
the mage talisman is the hardest by far to make fair.

Agreed, it's a tricky one to balance. I was quite surprised that a mage talisman was even released. Hopefully my original suggestions have at least given you some ideas. If not, shortcut the whole process, delete all mage talisman and give people an option of choosing a dexxer talisman. I'll gladly take a fully levelled and relic'd berserker or defense talisman :D

Lexington

Grandmaster
Please remove the "You must rest before channeling talisman power again" I waited 20 minutes yesterday and still was giving me this message so I just logged out!

If for some reason you feel it's to OP to enable the power for (X) amount of time after death can you at least let it gain XP right away??

#$# it... 15 minutes and counting. I must be doing something wrong? Logging out again. Ugh

Last edited by a moderator:

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
Again, tamers stone has no cool down, so basically you get ganked by reds and you have to wait 15 minutes to go spend more reagents while tamers heal pets and restock and are back making gold in 2 minutes

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Tamers do have xp loss on death but I don't really think comparing the two is the way to go. They are different and should be. The best way to look at things is what makes it fun worthwhile and not game breaking. The cool down seems like a control to avoid something game breaking I just don't see what it is that is being controlled and therefore don't see the need for it.

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
There's nothing fun about casting 100,000 ebolts and hoping a tamer or other random doesn't stop by and steal aggro while you're medding

eppy

Grandmaster
I'll take at look at summon aggro. Perhaps I can do something there. I will also likely turn on xp gain while in cooldown and just leave off bonuses and relic skills.

parsnip

Grandmaster
I'll take at look at summon aggro. Perhaps I can do something there. I will also likely turn on xp gain while in cooldown and just leave off bonuses and relic skills.

Thread successfully derailed... You happy now you whiney bastards? Enjoy your ez-mode! Back in my day, we had to work for dem gainz!

Just kidding! :p More people get levelled = More feedback and ideas = Win for everyone (Except perhaps poor @eppy - Thanks again for all the time you are putting into the talisman and relics <3)