Looking for Clarity.. Reptillian Death GM Slayer not as desired as the Dragon Slayer GM Slayer?!??

SteelSexi

Master
Okay everyone. I am still a little confused as all this Slayer stuff is brand new to me.

I've gotten help from some people who seem to have been here a good while and know what they are talking about... And Paying me 15k for an ORC SLAYER GM katana, while suggesting that I sell the GM Repond for 8-10k.

Here's the problem and where I get confused...

When I look up both of those weapons on Stratics and UOGuide, I see that the Repond is actually a Super Slayer that not only does double damage to all orcs, but also to all trolls, ogres, meers, goblins, ettins, and more! So why on earth would experienced players here be willing to pay much more for a Orc-Slayer and they sell out faster then Reponds which sit on my vendor at 10k and sell slower?

From looking at the web information, it would seem the Repond should be double the price of the Orc Slayer.

So with that.. the same information exists for Dragon Slayers and Reptillian Death Slayers. Works the same way. Dragon Slayers definitely seem to be much more rare in crafting them, but the Reptillian Death does double damage to not only all Dragons, but also all lizardman, ophidians, snakes, jukas, raptors, etc etc.

Just for extra clarification, I'll put both the reptillian death slayer and the dragon slayer in an auction to see what happens, if I get any bids.

I mean I'm happy selling Orc Slayers at 15k and and sell flame dousing slayers to people who seem to be willing to pay 20k for those. But for the Reponds and Elemental Ban Super Slayers to sit longer at a lower price on my vendors is quite baffling to me. The only thing i can guess is that the orc slayers and flame dousers do triple damage while the super weapons only do double damage to a bigger range of creatures. If that is indeed the case, then it starts to make more sense.

But can anyone make any sense of this? Maybe a GM has better information then I seem to be gathering on websites like Stratics and UOGuide? {shrugs}

Last edited by a moderator:

Kraden

Grandmaster
If im not mistaken the slayers that are specific in type do more damage than a broader version or super slayer.

eppy

Grandmaster
Holy hell, I am apparently selling my slayers way too cheap. Reponds, Ele ban, and Exorcism I sell for 8k, everything else is junk and i sell those for 1-4k.

SteelSexi

Master
Indeed it looks like you are my friend.

I'm fumbling with this slayer stuff too, trust me. I do know that Elemental Bans, Exorcisms, Orc Slayers, Silvers, Daemon Dismissals, and Reptillian Deaths all go FAST even at 15k. - At least that's been the case for the past week or so on my vendor. Seems to be strong desire for these.

halygon

Grandmaster
I don't know about damages, I thought they did the same.

I do know that most people have no clue when it comes to slayer types and therefore broad named ones (super slayers) are typically not bought as folks do not understand that a repond works against ANY humanoid mob where orc slayer is only against one type. The lack of knowledge is what usually gets people on UO. Knowing is half the battle :p

SteelSexi

Master
Knowing is half the battle :p

Exactly why I'm trying to get this all figured out. I have a feeling that few people know much about these slayers, especially when I see Orc Slayers selling in literally minutes after I place them on my vendor at 15k, yet Reponds sit for two days at 10k. lol.

I know it's all new to me after being away from Ultima Online since 2001.

But it's not exactly easy to understand, because I know I've seen some UO websites that say specific slayers like Orc Slayers do triple damage to all orcs, while the broader slayers like reponds do just double damage to a wider range of humanoid creatures, not just orcs. Then I saw something about how that isn't the case however on this UOF server, its just double damage for both - which would make the repond seem much more valuable then the orc slayer, and the reptillian death much more valuable then the dragon slayer ... IF that is indeed the case, that the more specific slayers don't do higher damage then the broader slayers on this server.

Also, it looks like the opposite mob of the slayer weapon you wield does double damage to you when you hold it from most of the websites I'm looking at, and I would assume that is the case here on UOF as well.. so be careful guys and gals that if you are weilding a repond slayer then you don't battle an undead with it, or you'll be getting smacked for double the damage while only hitting that undead for regular damage! (Undead mobs and humanoids are opposites....Arachnids and Reptiles are opposites.... and Abyss monsters (daemons, gargoyles, balrons etc) are opposite of fey and elemental mobs) - Always Be sure that you aren't trying to use a slayer weapon against it's opposing mobs type... or you might be left a ghost and confused, lol.

{shrugs..}

Ya know... maybe I shouldn't be trying to get all this stuff sorted out. Maybe I should just ask you all to pay whatever I ask of any slayer weapon without any hesitation at all. :D Hehe. J/K

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Add a book listing what your super slayer weapon is good for amaze the uneducated and charge a small fortune. There is no damage difference and it is strictly the fact that players don't know what a super slayer is.

bradley-

Grandmaster
On OSI, the single slayers weapons such as Orc Slaying were useless because of the super slayer, Repond, being able to do 2x damage to a wider variety of monsters. To make them more useful, I believe they made single slayers do 3x damage while super slayers remained 2x damage. I don't think this applies to UOForever, but I think it should if it doesn't already.

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
As far as I remember, all slayers did the same damage...2x. This made super slayers really valuable like bradley said. I'll try to do some testing to see if there is a difference between super slayers and specific slayers

SteelSexi

Master
VERY, VERY Nice info everyone, thanks a lot! Haloygon, love the write up, and it confirms what I was suspicious of here... that people are racing for the more specific slayers like orc slayers and dragon slayers without either knowing or understanding that the super slayers for those SHOULD be worth more.

Heck, this stuff happens in our local grocery stores all the time. I shop a lot, and I constantly see people grab a 5 pound bag of sugar priced at $2.97 when the same brand of sugar in a 10 pound bag is sitting there on sale for $2.89. That's just an example of course, but like you said halygon, knowledge really IS power and thanks much for posting that link.. that's exactly what I was looking for!

I think I'm concerned about it really because I like to be honest and fair as a vendor... and I also want to make sure that my pricing makes sense. I, myself, have a difficult time charging twice as much for an orc slayer as I do for a repond when/if I know the actual difference. And that's what this thread was born seeking - that knowledge here, and thanks to all of you.. looks like we have that now.

Please don't be afraid of posting any more input here if you have it however. Perhaps you're an experienced pvm'er and are 100% certain that the dragon slayer does take down dragons faster then the Reptillian Death slayer for example with all other things equal. If you have anything to add such as that or anything else of value here, this is the thread to post it! - Where it can perhaps be discussed.

Again, thanks all who have contributed.

halygon

Grandmaster
One last thing to add. Custom mobs are typically not covered under a slayer weapon. For example a Shadow Balron will not fall under the deamon dismissal slayers.

It's cartoon algebra..

Vanq = +9 DMG
Force = +5 DMG
And if Vanq is +35% modifier
Then force must be 19.6% modifier. (Not defined in guide/statics)
The difference is 56% from base DMG.
Remember: Force = Exceptional.