Holiday Gift Giving Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth

Apprentice
This is an awesome server and I really appreciate all of the hard work the staff puts into creating special events and given out special items.

One thing, however, that I feel should change is the way the "holiday" or special item gifts are handled. The holiday gifts this year were supposed to be given out in appreciation to players. If you could not be on at the exact second they were given, however, you received nothing.

I play the game pretty much everyday. Due to the season and having numerous people at my house I could not log on at the predesignated time. Life catches up to us all. Despite playing over six hours yesterday (and the day before) and countless hours for the last four months, my account does not get these loyalty rewards. A person who played two minutes in the last month gets a reward while someone who played 80 hours in the last month gets zilch.

I would recommend that items such as holiday gifts be given out over a series of days at log in, or at least throughout one whole day. OSI's way of given them out during the season was great and while iIt does not have to be quit so long here, at least one whole day would be nice.

Anyhow, I know this may read as a big newbie whine over items, but if the purpose of the gifst is really to reward players, I would hope it would change.

Salsa

Grandmaster
Agreed, the current system has nothing to do with appreciation and is just trying to fluff numbers.

K A Z

Grandmaster
thats what those handouts are made for - getting a huge online count. Noone should cry this time - they wrote that theyd hand out the stuff shortly after Santa dies and gave 1-2 hours after the start of the event as a time.

Enthalpic

Grandmaster
I would imagine they hand them out to accounts that are online at one specific time to keep some people from creating side accounts to get way more than their fair share.

Also, I would like to point out that the admins made the day of the event public far in advance. I knew I would be busy during the time, so I left my accounts signed in during the day. All you got to do is stay current on these forums and you won't miss out.

EDIT: UO is all about these "unfair" situations. I know that I was beginning to RAGE!!! when I couldn't find Santa lol, but that is the way it goes.

wkstrm

Master
You're just a bunch of wieners. :eek:

In my history of UO-gaming on freeshards (about 8 years or so) I have more or less missed 90% of all handouts.
On the other hand, I fully agree with you on this.

PS: I'm aware I wrote "wierners" and not whiners. ;)

Salsa

Grandmaster
I got a handout. I'm not worried about that. I just think the current system is based on fluffing numbers for a small period of time. If you really want to show appreciation, they should be given out to all accounts that log-in during a longer period of time.

Gareth

Apprentice
I got a handout. I'm not worried about that. I just think the current system is based on fluffing numbers for a small period of time. If you really want to show appreciation, they should be given out to all accounts that log-in during a longer period of time.

Agreed, it seems that the priority is to get a count "we had 600 members online!" rather than give a gift of appreciation. Otherwise why limit it to a very, very short window? By announcing it, people had already created duplicate accounts to get the gifts and logged them on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
I'm fine with the handouts for those that are online, but maybe make some restrictions on skill points or time spent online. Lots of 'new' players were selling their bags and I would wager that no small amount of them were dupe accounts done through an IP switching program.

I am new to the server and I only had my 2 accounts. I sold just about everything to get a nice jump into being a productive member of the community

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

bane

Master
Agreed, it seems that the priority is to get a count "we had 600 members online!" rather than give a gift of appreciation. Otherwise why limit it to a very, very short window? By announcing it, people had already created duplicate accounts to get the gifts and logged them on.

This may be the case but I think the server admins deserve the benefit of the doubt here. I do agree that it would be much better if handouts were given out based on other factors though like (amount of time spent online in last two months, min # of skill points, ..etc.).

In general it seems kind of shitty to assume motives that are a little shady for something that is delivered for free to all players online.

Also I don't see a one day spike in client count really helping the marketing of the shard that much when the sites that track this information usually display client counts over a time span of at least 5 days. To have a true impact they would have to game the numbers continually and I am not seeing that occur.

Also if they were that worried about the client count then they would allow a third account as is the norm for free shards so that they weren't at a disadvantage to those other shards.

TLDR: Don't assume disingenuous motives when it may have been as simple as not having enough time to have a more robust control mechanism. In addition there are better ways to game client count numbers so it is doubtful that it is the case here.

S

Shane

Hrmm well i dunno what to say guys.
We gave everyone quite a "heads up" on what day e veryting was going to happen.

Not only that, theres no way we could ALSO give to all offline accounts as people would of farmed the CRAP out of it, or else we would have.
I mean in situations like this you need to understand it is literally 100% impossible to please everyone (as in every situation, move or thought we do here).

All i can say is we gave everyone tons of heads up, warning, made a poster for it, changed motd, posted on forums, open browsered...

Not sure what else we could have done. Perhaps for the future we will look into creating something that gives it to the people who have logged in, in the last week or so, but accounts must be more than a month old.. However that isn't fair to people who have just joined either.

Hmm

limlight

Grandmaster
I couldnt make the event..so i left both my accounts online and hidden in my house. Not hard people. I leave my smith online almost 24.7. Just so i can do quick bods runs when i get home from work. I usually only play at night.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Im really really disappointed.

Im in the same situation, play a lot every day... i was online almost all sunday.... but had to log to eat....(ok, i forgot to levave chars logged, thats my fault), and then when i came back...... event was over and i didnt get nothing....

this is really frustrating...im very disapointed.

Staff should give xmas GIFT to ppl that logged in Sunday,.... not the ones that was onlne the EXACT SECOND santa got killed..... thats just unfair..... really sucks!

Make a Day for ppl to recive their GIFT... not a SINGLE SECOND.... thats terrible and UNFAIR!

Every shard i played we had a FULL DAY of gifts giveway.....but not here..... the server i liked most untill now... :(

It should be GIFTS, make ppl HAPPY.....Xmas......now... well.....just fuck it.... :(

No Staff loving for us...mere mortals that have RL stuff to do....

Last edited by a moderator:

zoneseek

Novice
This is why the big mainstream mmo's like gw2 and wow have holiday events that last for weeks and you're welcome to go ahead and do the holiday content whenever you have time to play. I agree I dislike the have to be online at a specific time thing. I mean ultimately, its why I don't do shit like raid in eq or wow. I don't want to have to be on my computer at a specific time for some reason.

Jager

Grandmaster
from what i know this is how i feel about this, i personally wasnt able to log on due to real life stuff, but with this being a free shard, and it being a free handout, how is it unfair? yea the people that play 24/7 are gonna get all the rewards, in a game, but if you didnt it just means you had something to do "in real life" its all free so i cant really see any reason for complaints.. just my 2 bits.

zoneseek

Novice
from what i know this is how i feel about this, i personally wasnt able to log on due to real life stuff, but with this being a free shard, and it being a free handout, how is it unfair? yea the people that play 24/7 are gonna get all the rewards, in a game, but if you didnt it just means you had something to do "in real life" its all free so i cant really see any reason for complaints.. just my 2 bits.

Its not unfair but if the goal of having these is to a) reward regular players or b) encourage people to continue to play the shard, its not doing either for people who weren't able to get on that day. It can actually create animosity.

Just because its a freeshard we dont deserve it?

We are PLAYERS... players have feelings!

You make them happy, u get more rewards like donations.

You make em unhappy, u have more ppl complaning , upset, quitting, etc.

im just upset, maybe ill give a break and come back after xmas, hate to see that ppl got some stuff and i wasnt able to be online at that second. :mad:
just need to calm down :(

Status
Not open for further replies.