Blacksmith/Crafter Character Templates

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
If you wanna level lumberjacking fast, just take swords and tactics and use an axe, then bash around for a while and lumberjacking will raise because you're using an axe. You can GM in 1-2 days.

Not sure why the "legitimate" way doesn't raise it as fast.

lilbear68

Neophyte
its the acquiring of raws between mining and lumberjacking. that I thought was the main part of the post.
I can get over 1k ingots within a short time, not so with the wood.

halygon

Grandmaster
its the acquiring of raws between mining and lumberjacking. that I thought was the main part of the post.
I can get over 1k ingots within a short time, not so with the wood.
Actually you can chop 1200 wood in about 30 minutes. That's what I did to GM carp when i started.

Here's a hint: Use a Beetle & the Woods of Minoc

D'Sade

Neophyte
i Prefer

Blacksmithing 120
Carpentry 120
Tailoring 120
Tinkering 120
Fletching 100
Magery 95
Musicianship 45

then as far as the other crafting skills

alchy, inscribe, and LJ all go great on PVP chars

i have mining on my stealth archer.
this lets me mine unseen, and if im pulling up Elementals with a garg pickaxe i can kill all the elementals with archery. also stealth archers make great Champ characters. :)

Template won't work =-( 720 skill points

(Edit) Oops realized this was a two year old thread. My apologies for the necro.

Ending up going with the same template, just with 75 Magery.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Actually with fletching being 100 there's room for 95 magery. The other more popular choice would be to have 120 mining to accompany BS resulting in the need to have only 75 magery. That's what I run, except instead of music I have med. No need to make instruments for me.

Dulcinea

Grandmaster
I am shocked that most do not have hiding because I find it essential on my mule. The template I run on my mule is:

120 Blacksmith
120 Tailoring
120 Tinkering
120 Carpentry
115 Mining (with + 5 mining gloves, which puts me to 120 mining)
75 Hiding
50 Magery (Just enough to recall because runes are marked on alts)

= 720 skill points

The hiding is mainly for crafting at the Britain crafting area, which allows crafting securely and not being pick-pocketed. Also, I find the hiding to be useful for mining inside a dungeon or if I run into others in the area.

Delvorin

Grandmaster
I am shocked that most do not have hiding because I find it essential on my mule. The template I run on my mule is:

120 Blacksmith
120 Tailoring
120 Tinkering
120 Carpentry
75 Hiding

= 720 skill points

The hiding is mainly for crafting at the Britain crafting area, which allows crafting securely and not being pick-pocketed. Also, I find the hiding to be useful for mining inside a dungeon or if I run into others in the area.

Hiding really isn't necessary. Yeah, it does help with the situations that you mentioned, but I tried to maximize things I could make so I took musicianship for the instruments and 70 magery for the pentegrams. I haven't had problems with thieves. If they do steal something, it's something cheap like mason tools. Everything of value is either on my beetle or my locked trapped box. Had a few times a thief died trying to open my box but usually they just leave it alone. Slayers would go in the box so don't have to worry bout anyone stealing them. I also don't tend to afk crafting things so not having hiding is not a big deal. I can always invis.

Dulcinea

Grandmaster
Hiding really isn't necessary. Yeah, it does help with the situations that you mentioned, but I tried to maximize things I could make so I took musicianship for the instruments and 70 magery for the pentegrams. I haven't had problems with thieves. If they do steal something, it's something cheap like mason tools. Everything of value is either on my beetle or my locked trapped box. Had a few times a thief died trying to open my box but usually they just leave it alone. Slayers would go in the box so don't have to worry bout anyone stealing them. I also don't tend to afk crafting things so not having hiding is not a big deal. I can always invis.

Well that is good to hear that you don't have to worry about thieves very much on here. The trapped box idea is pretty neat, I had no idea or knew you could do such a thing, but I can see how it would work exceptionally well. The instruments you make, are they better than silver ones because that is all I use normally? Thank you for your input. :)

Delvorin

Grandmaster
Well that is good to hear that you don't have to worry about thieves very much on here. The trapped box idea is pretty neat, I had no idea or knew you could do such a thing, but I can see how it would work exceptionally well. The instruments you make, are they better than silver ones because that is all I use normally? Thank you for your input. :)

Well the silver instruments would only help you with chance on undead things. The exceptional weapons made by crafters I think increase chance to provoke and peace by 10% or something like that. Also, it lasts much longer than non-exceptional instruments.

Trying to find the link that taught me what to do for trapped boxes. But basically make a lockable box, like crate or wooden box. After taking the key out of the box, use your tinkering skill to put a trap on it using greater explosion pot. Then, lock it and unlock it to disable the trap. If you try to open the box before locking then unlocking, you'll explode. After unlocking the trapped box, itll tell you that you disable the trap until you lock it again. So you can safely open it and put items in it . Put bags in the box and open them, then lock the box to lock it and enable trap. If you keep just the locked trapped box open, then it won't let you put anything inside it once you lock it. But if you put in a bag and keep the bag open when you lock and enable trap, you can put things inside the bag.

Hope this wasn't too confusing. Tried to explain as best as I can. There's a link somewhere that shows you with images.

Dulcinea

Grandmaster
Well the silver instruments would only help you with chance on undead things. The exceptional weapons made by crafters I think increase chance to provoke and peace by 10% or something like that. Also, it lasts much longer than non-exceptional instruments.

Trying to find the link that taught me what to do for trapped boxes. But basically make a lockable box, like crate or wooden box. After taking the key out of the box, use your tinkering skill to put a trap on it using greater explosion pot. Then, lock it and unlock it to disable the trap. If you try to open the box before locking then unlocking, you'll explode. After unlocking the trapped box, itll tell you that you disable the trap until you lock it again. So you can safely open it and put items in it . Put bags in the box and open them, then lock the box to lock it and enable trap. If you keep just the locked trapped box open, then it won't let you put anything inside it once you lock it. But if you put in a bag and keep the bag open when you lock and enable trap, you can put things inside the bag.

Hope this wasn't too confusing. Tried to explain as best as I can. There's a link somewhere that shows you with images.

Greatly appreciate the very well descriptive post on how to make a trapped box. It makes complete sense to me and I am most definitely going to do this and re consider the hiding skill I have. It seems like you hold a very valid point that out weighs to have hiding, which must be why hiding wasn't mentioned, very much.

Lady Macbeth

Grandmaster
Well the silver instruments would only help you with chance on undead things. The exceptional weapons made by crafters I

a link somewhere that shows you with images.

What would be a safe approach to sell trapped boxes? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoko Kurama

Master
What would be a safe approach to sell trapped boxes? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You sell the box and the key to enable it in another container. I buy 10 packs of these, so a bag with 10 trapped boxes, all unlocked with key inside. Then, when you lock it the trap is activated.

Yoko Kurama

Master

120 Blacksmith
120 Tailoring
120 Tinkering
120 Carpentry
75 Hiding

= 720 skill points

I went with a slightly different build...I have a treasure hunter, who is also a stealth miner/120 mining to smelt.
120 blacksmith
120 tailoring
110 carpentry
100 tinkering
100 bowyer
75 magery
45 music
50 hiding
Can make gm instruments, pentagrams. More than enough hiding. Can also make bows. I don't see any real point in 120 tinker or carpentry.
If you want enough to recall, use 0 magery because a runebook will let you recall 100% of the time with 0 magery. I am shocked someone would waste 50 magery for recall. If you really want 120 carpentry then just drop 10 more hiding...you still will hide most of the time at 40, MORE than enough for Brit Crafting area.
ps- Before someone talks about how good colored wood is, keep in mind you can make only Qstaff (no stunning blow) or a club...grats with your exceptional vanq club that does less damage than a GM exceptional war mace.

halv

Grandmaster
I got an question to this template issue. Reactivating this old thread.

@Yoko Kurama you got mining on an extra char. I'm thinking about doing the same and got some questions.

Is the only problem i will have to smelt issue on my BS? Can i even smelt colored armor without any mining skill?
Are there other issues without mining?

I'm thinking about putting mining on another char. My BS actually got
Smith 120
Tinkering 120
Carp 120
Lumberjack 120
Mining 120
Magery 78 (100% chance for circle 5 spells - 65% circle 6)
Armslore 45.5 (i just got it to check the ar and weps for damage)

I want to get another skill on this template, but i don't want to loose real benefits.

Thank you.

Shortbus

Grandmaster
I got an question to this template issue. Reactivating this old thread.

@Yoko Kurama you got mining on an extra char. I'm thinking about doing the same and got some questions.

Is the only problem i will have to smelt issue on my BS? Can i even smelt colored armor without any mining skill?
Are there other issues without mining?

I'm thinking about putting mining on another char. My BS actually got
Smith 120
Tinkering 120
Carp 120
Lumberjack 120
Mining 120
Magery 78 (100% chance for circle 5 spells - 65% circle 6)
Armslore 45.5 (i just got it to check the ar and weps for damage)

I want to get another skill on this template, but i don't want to loose real benefits.

Thank you.
Could drop armslore if you have a meta dexxer and pickup 45 music so that you can make flutes exceptionally.

But you play how you want. Thats the glory of sandbox, but with music the only thing you couldnt make would be bows/xbows.

halv

Grandmaster
Could drop armslore if you have a meta dexxer and pickup 45 music so that you can make flutes exceptionally.

But you play how you want. Thats the glory of sandbox, but with music the only thing you couldnt make would be bows/xbows.

I dropped Musicanship already for armslore. I crafted hundreds of instruments and really don't need them. I like to get Hiding and Item ID or Tailoring. I've got a second Miner and I don't need two miners. That's why i want to now what i'll loose for dropping mining in this char.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Dual client miners!

You're kind of stuck in a weird spot with two gathering skills on one crafter template @halv

No you will not be able to smelt color without mining. If you have two miners, then it's a little redundant so I would drop mining for tailoring on one of them. The good news is, it doesn't matter which because it's a standalone skill. If you are attached to having mining on your non supercrafter, drop the mining for tailoring on the supercrafter so you can use the same char to pull both BS and tailor BODs with for convenience IMO.

My crafter is sitting on these stats

100str/100int/25dex
120 Smith
120 Carp
120 TInkering
120 Tailoring
100 Magery (just to make the stone abattoirs)
45 Music
95 Arms Lore (or meditation depending on how i feel)

I am able to hide in the brit crafter area if i gate from inside my house, hide, then go through. Most of the time i dont get bothered, and if i do i have 5 trapped boxes any theif has to get through to get to the good stuff :)

my treasure hunter has 115 mining, so i use him to smelt all the non-iron items.

tjchats

Master
100 Str/100 Int/25 Dex

120 Blacksmith
120 Tailoring
120 Carpentry
120 Tinkering
120 Mining
75 Magery
45 Music (Pay NPC to 45 Medi when recall mining, marking runes etc)
720 Total

This allows you to craft all but one item in the game, the magery house deco item that needs 85 Magery. Zero need for hiding in Brit Crafting I just pile 5 deep 120 Tinkering explosion boxes go afk with my crafting macros and usually come back with two or three thief corpses around me. Great build works very well for me.

I have 120 LJ on my Axer for all the rare woods.
100 Alchy, 100 Poisoning on my dexxer.
120 Scribe on my meta mage.
Every base is covered.