Attn: Shane & Staff - Bring back Ship Ransom System, please?

Bring back ransom system for ship vs. ship PvP

• No, I'm all about that tram life.

• Yes, because I like to -earn- my keep.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deadpool

Grandmaster
Do you even pirate, bro?

65058600.jpg

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
If this happens I will quit UO Forever... FOREVER!

The whole F-ing reason I bought a galleon is so I could have fighting chance of getting a recall off with my MIB carrying tune when some bozo swoops in to get his kicks messing up my gameplay and wasting a bunch of my time.

The whole system is already geared towards screwing helpless fisherfolk as it stands, so pls don't make things suck even more than they already do. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruno D

Adept
If this happens I will quit UO Forever... FOREVER!

The whole F-ing reason I bought a galleon is so I could have fighting chance of getting a recall off with my MIB carrying tune when some bozo swoops in to get his kicks messing up my gameplay and wasting a bunch of my time.

The whole system is already geared towards screwing helpless fisherfolk as it stands, so pls don't make things suck even more than they already do. :rolleyes:

It'll still be very similar to the way it is now. Since galleons are supposed to be "War Ships" they would serve their purpose now instead of just being used to farm mils tram style. You can do that on a small and still recall away at the scary site of another player.

If you didn't sink your enemy before they sunk you then you would just have to:

1.) Pay a small ransom to have your boat delivered to your bank. The ransom would be determined by the enemy (With a cap like Jax suggested), or it could be based off of the ship model's value.

It used to be 15 minutes but ransoms were very low, about 2-3k-ish would be split among the crew and depending on the % of cannon damage each player did would determine the % of the ransom you got.

2.) You could repair the boat yourself to get it back in your pack.

3.) You could abandon it and let the other the player that sunk you (or any player) repair it after a certain period of time and then the model would fall into that players pack. I would suggest a 30 minute window to give people plenty of time to get help and come back. Maybe even more depending on how much these ransoms could be and since galleons are so valuable.

Bruno D

Adept
Would there be a ransom cap at least? Because who would pay if the opposing side were to jack the price up super high knowing the other side can't pay? And should this ransom be for just galleons or all ships?

I still think the dono thing or even a pet ball isn't the best answer only because then, like I said previously, you're back to square one because all people would just get that so they'd never worry about their ships being lost.

Yes, I agree a cap would be a good idea.

I don't like the idea of dono ships or pet balls either and you're right would be just like the way it is now.

What I meant was if that was a compromise I had to make then I'd be for it. I probably shouldn't have suggested that but I just had a feeling there would be some resistance and was just trying to offer some sort of compromise for those who aren't interested in pvp or naval combat.

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
I hardly think so. That’s a load of sophist claptrap right there if I ever heard it.

Let’s face it, there’re only two kinds of people out on the water, fisherman and the galleon DBs harassing them.

Galleon DBs want to pretend like their life is about fighting other galleon DBs, when in reality it’s 98% about griefing fishermen.

The hull strength on a the small boats is much lower than the galleon, and, once under attack, it’s impossible to recall away with MIBs with the deck on fire. So that fisherman just spent all that time prepping and plotting those MIBs into UO Automap, just so a much faster galleon that they have NO chance against can sweep in and ruin their gameplay -cuz they’re “pirates.” :rolleyes:

That fisherman then has to re-equip and delete all the MIB locations from automap, etc. It F-ing sucks and it’s there entirely so DBs can be DBs. But that’s not enough… oh no!

You want to get my 2.5 mil gold galleon that I bought *specifically* so I would have a chance of recalling my MIB guy away in the event of a DB attack. I guess it's not enough that if the DBs sink my galleon they get everything aboard, plus add ons, plus the jerkbag satisfaction of griefing me out 40 minutes of playtime. Oh, but I can go repair it… maybe. If there’s not a whole gang of DBs waiting there for me to do exactly that –or I can’t cuz the deck’s afire –or if I have some RL situation arise in that half an hour. In any of those cases, it’s only fair the DB fishergriefers should get my 2.5 mil gold galleon, huh?

What a load of utter baboon crap.

UO Forever really shouldn't cater to the DBs cuz every time they do, 10 times as many normal, less vocal players end up paying the price for it.

Trojandrew

Grandmaster
ya owning someone else ship is a bit much. you don't see pks not pay ransom then they have their character switched to the account of the person that killed them.

and don't talk about battle just b/c you want to PK on the sea. if you want a battle go look for it. you know exactly which ships are prepared and which are not.

i don't even see why you're trying to push this since you don't even play anymore.

Tydeus

Master
Voted no. Has nothing to do with "tram" BS.

I wouldn't go "griefing" people because I'm getting too old to be pissing off some random UO players. PvP is another issue and that is fine. But, I actually collected about 20 smaller boats and 1 galleon when you were able to take boats. (I did MiBs at odd hours and ran into idle boats). I only use those boats for lockdown deco on my house now.

Honestly, it would not cause any problems for me when out at sea, other than my WiFi connection that disconnects every so often could cause me to lose my boat(s). The reason it would not cause any issues most of the time is because of 100 tracking and "scan the horizons." I don't know why anyone would be on a boat without that.

I basically only use my galleon and my silver ship for deco at my waterfront house. My house would not look as good without them, so if something as bad as this ever comes, where people can lose 3 mil boats due to BS that can't always be controlled, I'd lose the ability to make my house plot look better, and likely lose my boats unless I was notified that I can no longer put them in the water and log out.

Bruno D

Adept
i don't even see why you're trying to push this since you don't even play anymore.

I want to take your boats, ofc.

And you should want to be able to take mine if I come on that ass while you Mibbin it up!!!

Or at least get paid for sinking me!

Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life fer me.

We pillage we plunder we rifle we loot, yo ho yo ho yo ho.

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
Yeah, and also if you kill someone on a meta steed or any other mount, you should get that too.

Plus all their houses and the contents of their bank box. :rolleyes:

Trammies go where the gold is. Remove the gold and leave the glory in "boats" and "fishing" and you'll get the vote cast you're after, me thinks.

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
I have been at sea for a few days now, and aside from being attacked by, Jack Sparrow....

View: https://youtu.be/fT7aNTZ0UlY?t=10s

... I have a few points to make.

1: "There's no reason to ship PvP because you don't loose anything."

This is obviously a false statement. You loose everything on your person, and in your ship. This is an obvious ploy to try and get even MORE from a kill regardless of ship type used. To sink a small boat, then demand even more gold/resources from your target (who clearly didn't have the gold for even a slightly bigger boat) has the same integrity of all of Walstreet.

Some ships carry booty, some carry trade goods. Some carry nothing, and since you pick the targets you've only yourself to blame. Smaller ships will likely have nothing of value, or little of value. You want that big score? Find a big ship to sink.

2: "We could ransom the ships back, or have the ship respawn timer."

Get used to even fewer ship battles because I'll be damned (and i'm sure others feel the same way) if I pay it. I'll let the timer run dry every time.

I have been at sea for a few days now, and aside from being attacked by, Jack Sparrow....

View: https://youtu.be/fT7aNTZ0UlY?t=10s

... I have a few points to make.

1: "There's no reason to ship PvP because you don't loose anything."

This is obviously a false statement. You loose everything on your person, and in your ship. This is an obvious ploy to try and get even MORE from a kill regardless of ship type used. To sink a small boat, then demand even more gold/resources from your target (who clearly didn't have the gold for even a slightly bigger boat) has the same integrity of all of Walstreet.

Some ships carry booty, some carry trade goods. Some carry nothing, and since you pick the targets you've only yourself to blame. Smaller ships will likely have nothing of value, or little of value. You want that big score? Find a big ship to sink.

2: "We could ransom the ships back, or have the ship respawn timer."

Get used to even fewer ship battles because I'll be damned (and i'm sure others feel the same way) if I pay it. I'll let the timer run dry every time.

I second most of this... It's a joke to say we don't lose anything in PvP at sea. Unlike the landlubbers who have it easy, we have absolutely no way of getting anything on our corpses back, no gating in or out once the boats are on heavy fire, no dual account hacks to save your red's Head from being turned in. If you sneak up right on someone and drop a cannon volley they won't even be able to recall, and did I mention grappling hooks flag BOTH ships crews as grey, so there is no escape and it's a bloody fight to the death afterward? It's cutthroat, dirty, and risky to sail the seas of Sosaria, no comparison to land PvP, where running around naked with nothing but regs and 15 of your pals in an EB rail zerg is considered success. Lastly, ship battles are few enough as it is, why lessen the amount of ship time on the waves with ransom or timers?

P.S
I love how you made the poll with options that are clearly your personal opinions on the matter, no actual
choice on our part really.