A Possible Solution to The Problem of PvP

Kyain

Master
I think the point was a damage cap to a target (i.e. you can't just slowly beat on an alt all day long to keep gaining, and requires new and different targets)

I just hope it still sticks to militia or something along those lines and not global, as there is already more then enough non consesual pvp going on lol

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Sighs....That was the point of the cap Kyain, was a damage cap per target, so the more you Pvp'd, and found targets, the higher your damage for the day was, but you couldn't get it by beating on one person all day.

batman

Grandmaster
Idky i had always assumed pking people was a hell of an incentive... From 97 too 18 i have never heard of anything different .. If ur a pker u will pk regardless of any kind of a reward, right??

Kyain

Master
Idky i had always assumed pking people was a hell of an incentive... From 97 too 18 i have never heard of anything different .. If ur a pker u will pk regardless of any kind of a reward, right??

That's why i'd hope something like this should only be in regards to militia damage/kills or if open world is counted I'd hope to ONLY count blue's damaging reds. The pk's have enough incentive in free gear/loot with little to no resistance

batman

Grandmaster
Im not a looter, hell if i pk someone ill insta rez and help get them back to there body against mobs... The thrill is simply pkn everyone you possibly can but obviously with 19 pages on this topic i and others have missed the gimmie gimmie or i wont pk!!

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Factions had incentives for PvP, and this is referring to structured PvP. Not everyone likes to PK.

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Again, I have read everything with the damage cap in this thread. It will not work.
Damage done gives each player credit for their time spent playing, and the measures suggested (target cap, weighted lottery) make exploitation both difficult and irrlevant.

If not damage cap, fine, but it'll have to be something that gives the player credit for his time spent playing and not success. If it's success-based, casual, solo and PvM players will have no want to participate, and it will generate no more interest than we have right now.

Swayze

Grandmaster
In terms of coding, you would have to store the cap for each player, who has reached the cap, reset the cap each day and that is multiplied by however many people attack that player. The storage of that alone would be pretty insane and we may see performance issues.

It is also way easier to exploit, as I have said before. I also hate how it doesn't give you incentive to continue to PVP or continue to attack the same group/person.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Thanks Swayze, at least that gives me some understanding of the hold up. The storage of that information to me doesn't feel like it'd take a lot of space or resources, but I believe I read an article before explaining how UO handles that information, being old coding, so I'll have to take your word on it not working from that point of view. And if it's a infrastructure issue, there's probably no point in reading the rest.

From the standpoint of incentive to continue PvP'n, if you are getting 3-4 hours out of people daily PvP'n, then I think you are doing Ok.. People have multiple characters, so if they felt they'd hit high enough levels on one char, they could always use other PvP chars, which would give them more chance to get rewarded, and thus incentive to continue PvP'n. It's unrealistic to think people are going to PvP for more than 4 hours daily on average...

@girana the multiple account thing is a ridiculous notion - at some point people amass all the wealth in teh world and no longer care to cheat the system, beyond that, by making it a weighted RNG based system, while making 10000 accounts would ensure you get the best possible chance daily, it doesn't guarantee you rewards at one point is it deemed pointless? Even with that said, I suppose there's no point in making compelling fun systems, since they can all be exploited...

Winstonian

Grandmaster
In terms of coding, you would have to store the cap for each player, who has reached the cap, reset the cap each day and that is multiplied by however many people attack that player. The storage of that alone would be pretty insane and we may see performance issues.

It is also way easier to exploit, as I have said before. I also hate how it doesn't give you incentive to continue to PVP or continue to attack the same group/person.
What exploits still exist in a weighted lottery that has such a cap? And why wouldn't one have incentive to continue to PvP? Climbing the ladder to have a higher chance at a reward is plenty of incentive, and far more than exists right now.

I am glad to hear that the real issue may be a storage issue. Sounds... interesting, but at least possibly valid. It also implies that this would be so wildly successful that storing this would be "pretty insane". It sounds like we have the right incentive and structure with insufficient system capabilities.

Swayze

Grandmaster
I don't know if it would be a success or not. Either way I would guess we would have a similar issue with how events caused massive server lag because it was storing things similar to the system you suggested to award points.

Your proposed suggestion has many exploits that have been mentioned multiple times in this thread. I don't really feel like reiterating them.

When I used to PVP we would have multiple group fights against the same group multiple times a night (3-4 hours). We would win two fights, lose two fights, etc. Your proposal would potentially keep people from keep fighting because they have reached their cap against the same people they have been fighting for the last 4 hours. Again, this is just my opinion and a minor point in the overall flaws. Although I enjoyed killing my enemies, that was enough incentive for me so I am clearly not the target market for pixel rewards for pvp.

batman

Grandmaster
Although I enjoyed killing my enemies, that was enough incentive for me so I am clearly not the target market for pixel rewards for pvp.
And that has always been good enough for pkrs/pvprs... If you need more than just the enjoyment ok killing others regardless if its a group or a solo . U need to keep out of pvp