Wtfast and server location

Unex

Neophyte
Hi Guys,

I play from the Netherlands with a ping around 180ish and was fooling around with WTFast. I noticed a reduction in ping but I am unsure which server to choose.

Do any of u know where this shard (server) is located and which WTFast server is best for West Euros?

Regards,
Unex

Dellan

Grandmaster
Why on Earth am I only guy who gets worse ping with both wtfast and lowerping? I tried CZ server (my country), had worse ping by 20.. tried Germany.. same.. Tried France.. that reduced my ping by 20 to avrg 200.. London, worse.. Texas - 300-400. What the fu** is with my pc, or router, or whatever and what may cause this?

Unex

Neophyte
Seems like the closest to your home is the best option. Not going down lower then 130.

Thanks for all the replies

Dellan

Grandmaster
I have no idea why, maybe it's due to my ISP, which is UPC, and I heard they don't care for shit about their clients, I get lot of latency even where I shouldn't. Anyway, messed around with wtfast servers, and best for me were (at least yesterday) London uk6 and Germany de2 & 4, giving me 180 avrg, which makes a bit of difference compared to standard 220 (in best cases, more like 240,260), but still not worth 10$ a month. 120-140, there I'd pay. Be sure to try all servers in country you chose, differences can range up to 60 ping..

K A Z

Grandmaster
chose a server between your location and the server's location. Best bet as an euro player would be NYC or any other server located on the east-coast of the US.

halygon

Grandmaster
I don't know how these two proxy/vpn services work, but typically with vpn tunnels you want to connect to the closest (fastest) server to your location and allow the vpn tunnel to connect you to a DNS server close to the location you are attempting to go (so Texas).

So your traceroute would be like this:

Before VPN Tunnel:
Connect to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Connect to login.uoforever.com

After VPN Tunnel:
Connect to login.uoforever.com

Quite a few less hops within the route --> which is why it is faster.

jwilkinson84

Apprentice
I have no idea why, maybe it's due to my ISP, which is UPC, and I heard they don't care for shit about their clients, I get lot of latency even where I shouldn't. Anyway, messed around with wtfast servers, and best for me were (at least yesterday) London uk6 and Germany de2 & 4, giving me 180 avrg, which makes a bit of difference compared to standard 220 (in best cases, more like 240,260), but still not worth 10$ a month. 120-140, there I'd pay. Be sure to try all servers in country you chose, differences can range up to 60 ping..

Whats's your bandwidth? (up/down)

This won't increase your ping, but adding the program to the exception list of your firewall helped me with constant lag issues and dropped connections I had.

Dellan

Grandmaster
Whats's your bandwidth? (up/down)

This won't increase your ping, but adding the program to the exception list of your firewall helped me with constant lag issues and dropped connections I had.

Up is 1mb, down is 30, though real speed at torrents is like 3,6 at most. More than enough for UO I'd say..

edit: Tried pingtest.com to Dallas TX, 172ms and 21 perc packet loss.. Why do I get 220 at best with my normal connection?

jwilkinson84

Apprentice
Up is 1mb, down is 30, though real speed at torrents is like 3,6 at most. More than enough for UO I'd say..

edit: Tried pingtest.com to Dallas TX, 172ms and 21 perc packet loss.. Why do I get 220 at best with my normal connection?

Trying doing a ping and tracert to the login.uoforever.com address and post them if you can.

jwilkinson84

Apprentice
By the looks of it once the traffic leaves your house the nightmare begins for you.

1 * * * Vypršel časový limit žádosti.
2 10 ms 8 ms 9 ms 25t.upcbroadband
3 117 ms 115 ms 117 ms cz-prg02a-ra2-vla2115.net.upc.cz

Once it reaches the router in NY is where it really starts to slow down

8 199 ms 190 ms 188 ms nyc-brdr-02.inet.qwest.net

I don't know if your ISP would do much. I would try to send them some tracert and ping screen shots showing your higher than normal pings. I would ping there site and some other websites like Yahoo or Google to see if you get these 100-200 ms pings. I know with my ISP if I gather enough evidence to show them that something isn't working right they will be more proactive. Otherwise is it possible to find a different Internet provider?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dellan

Grandmaster
I'm thinking about it for a while, changing ISP.. from what I heard, they're not too keen on solving troubles, not to mention their service is more expensive than others. I'll see what I can do. Thanks