What's the point of head buy back?

Streets

Grandmaster
Nobody ever buys them back people even brag they would never buy it back. Why not make the whole server/game no cut? There is no penelty for being red here why even have mechanics like buyback in game?

Streets

Grandmaster
Dunno man I get a head think it's reasonable offer it for 5k they return offer 5 gold. I lower to 1k they offer 0 gold.

If this is the mentality of reds it just showed it's too easy to make them or the penelty is to low. A 2 day stat pretty much was a joke to this pk. Maybe make it 2 days stat while logged in. Time does not decay logged off.

Even under current status rules you still have 8+ characters you can play over the next 2 days so not a big loss really.

I don't want to get rid of reds just a realistic balance of blue to red.

Last edited:

Streets

Grandmaster
omg! werent you the guy suggesting raising the price?

i tolddddddddd you in that thread! nobody buys it back! LOL!

Lol I thought you may have been exaggerating! But every head I have ever got (not really alot to be fair) has ended with no reward :(

jkg8787

Master
Dunno man I get a head think it's reasonable offer it for 5k they return offer 5 gold. I lower to 1k they offer 0 gold.

If this is the mentality of reds it just showed it's too easy to make them or the penelty is to low. A 2 day stat pretty much was a joke to this pk. Maybe make it 2 days stat while loved in. Time does not decay loved off.

Even under current status rules you still have 8+ characters you can play over the next 2 days so not a big loss really.

I don't want to get rid of reds just a realistic balance of blue to red.
In my opinion the main drawback of being a red is obviously being attackable anywhere (except houses and safe zones of course). Really that's it and I don't honestly think it has to or should be more than that although open to listening why.

I can understand the sentiments from a non PvP oriented player I suppose. It may seem unfair if you dont enjoy fighting having a red be able to attack you and not really having much counter options (aside from fighting back).

Reds cannot recall when attacked. Blues can. There is very few scenarios where a Blue should be dying to a red provided the Blue a) has proper equipment and b) actually knows what they are doing.

I personally witnessed flube's stream the other day where he got about 15+ chars statted (FYI you can buy more account character slots) by constantly going back to fight a group of Korean gamers 1v5. After all his characters were dead and statted he logged for the day. Seems like its working correct. A murderer went out, got killed a bunch of times, didnt want to pay and logged off for presumably 2 days. System working? I dunno

jkg8787

Master
Lol I thought you may have been exaggerating! But every head I have ever got (not really alot to be fair) has ended with no reward :(
lol!
It's a mentality thing I think. I just recently made my first murder. Killed a bunch. Only died once. They cut my head but never turned it in. Some people who are more PvP oriented appreciate the fact that Reds are out there and doing their thing and won't stat you. Others are ruthless and stat everyone.

If youre cutting heads I dont think you should look at it as an income-generator. If you dont want the guy playing for a few days turn it in. If you want to offer, go ahead, but if they decline the choice is yours to stat or not.

Last edited:

Streets

Grandmaster
lol!
It's a mentality thing I think. I just recently made my first murder. Killed a bunch. Only died once. They cut my head but never turned it in. Some people who are more PvP oriented appreciate the fact that Reds are out there and doing their thing and won't stat you. Others are ruthless and stat everyone.

If youre cutting heads I dont think you should look at it as an income-generator. If you dont want the guy playing for a few days turn it in. If you want to offer, go ahead, but if they decline the choice is yours to stat or not.

See that's the thing I do appreciate reds but right now in my opinion we have far too many. Yes I know it's gonna happen but I think due to how lax this server is on reds is why we have so many.

As for looking at it as a income generator, why shouldn't it be? Most ( not all reads) make a profit off killing blues, gold, regs, magic weapons/armor, relics, power scrolls, skill scrolls, etc. Why should it be such a lop sided one way street?

jkg8787

Master
See that's the thing I do appreciate reds but right now in my opinion we have far too many. Yes I know it's gonna happen but I think due to how lax this server is on reds is why we have so many.

As for looking at it as a income generator, why shouldn't it be? Most ( not all reads) make a profit off killing blues, gold, regs, magic weapons/armor, relics, power scrolls, skill scrolls, etc. Why should it be such a lop sided one way street?
For a lot of people UO is a PvP game first and sandbox game second. A lot of people would see tons of Reds as a good thing. More people to fight etc etc.

And I do agree that Reds make money off Blues, but not to be an elitist dick or anything but that's generally a fault of the Blue. If you have some sort of important item and dont immediately bank/house it, its your fault if you die. If you farm 10k and are too lazy to drop it off and put it in your beetle and keep farming and die, thats your fault. If youre doing a Treasure Chest and get tons of cool magic items and die...well...yep...your fault.

I do appreciate the fact that ganks exist and are hard to escape from. But again, in general, you should almost NEVER die in a 1v1 if you choose to escape rather than fight. A properly stocked player who knows what they are doing should be able to escape from a 1v1 without dying.

You like your items? Fight for them. Dont give them to a murderer. If you want to make some "easy" loot make a Red, youll be able to do exactly what others are doing. Nothing stopping you. And honestly being a Red is crazy. Ya you might be killing some newbie miner who cant fight back but then all of a sudden 2 more Blues pop in and youre f'd

jkg8787

Master
I guess my point is I feel like you're approaching this the wrong way. There's nothing different between a Blue or a Red. The person playing a Murderer who beats you could easily log on a Blue character and do the same thing.

Theres nothing stopping me from logging on a Blue right now, heading to nearest dungeon with a Flamestrike scroll, waiting for someone to go low health fighting a monster and Flamestriking them.

A Red is just a person who wants to fight. Nothing wrong with that. It's about half of what UO is (to me at least). It's an objective FACT that Reds have more penalties than a Blue. Blues (with zero counts) have a bunch of scenarios they can do which a PK cant.

Yes PKs can kill you. But like I said so could a Blue. If anything at least you know where you stand with a Red -- they want you dead. With some stupid Blue trying to grief you who knows what they are up to. I'd rather see a Red in a dungeon then some blue trying to lure spawn on to me/steal from me/randomly murder me while appearing to be neutral.

Streets

Grandmaster
I guess my point is I feel like you're approaching this the wrong way. There's nothing different between a Blue or a Red. The person playing a Murderer who beats you could easily log on a Blue character and do the same thing.

Theres nothing stopping me from logging on a Blue right now, heading to nearest dungeon with a Flamestrike scroll, waiting for someone to go low health fighting a monster and Flamestriking them.

A Red is just a person who wants to fight. Nothing wrong with that. It's about half of what UO is (to me at least). It's an objective FACT that Reds have more penalties than a Blue. Blues (with zero counts) have a bunch of scenarios they can do which a PK cant.

Yes PKs can kill you. But like I said so could a Blue. If anything at least you know where you stand with a Red -- they want you dead. With some stupid Blue trying to grief you who knows what they are up to. I'd rather see a Red in a dungeon then some blue trying to lure spawn on to me/steal from me/randomly murder me while appearing to be neutral.

We come from 2 totally different play styles it appears so we may never see eye to eye. But you are definitely outstanding when it comes to a debate or conversation.

My point is what happened if the whole population is reds? (I know it's a hypothetical) there is no blues left to murder.

What happens when the blues get fed up and go to another server or quit? You are going to end up starving yourself.

Now I don't think the server is dieing or people are going to leave is mass exodus but there has to be balance and right now the balance is in favor of being red. Yeah ok a small stat loss but anyone playing production shards remembering working off multiple long term counts and by comparison reds have easy mode here.

We can agree to disagree.

jkg8787

Master
We come from 2 totally different play styles it appears so we may never see eye to eye. But you are definitely outstanding when it comes to a debate or conversation.

My point is what happened if the whole population is reds? (I know it's a hypothetical) there is no blues left to murder.

What happens when the blues get fed up and go to another server or quit? You are going to end up starving yourself.

Now I don't think the server is dieing or people are going to leave is mass exodus but there has to be balance and right now the balance is in favor of being red. Yeah ok a small stat loss but anyone playing production shards remembering working off multiple long term counts and by comparison reds have easy mode here.

We can agree to disagree.
Just FYI I wasnt looking down on you or anything. When I'm saying "you" I mean a general person reading my message.

Its not just stat loss though. Freely attackable ANYWHERE. Cannot recall after being attacked. Cannot use a gate after being attacked.

If you think that isn't enough, then ya I guess its a wash and we just agree to disagree. I guess I'm just not really seeing the issue. Personally I think youre being a little hyperbolic. Theres no way EVERYONE goes red. And it seems like every day I see TONS of (young) players. The server is growing not dying. People WANT this rule set.

To answer the thread's question: whats the point of head buy back? To allow people who WANT TO continue playing their red a chance to do so. This is obviously optional and working as intended. Because people choose not to doesn't mean the system is broken in my opinion.

Not trying to be combative with you. Just prodding your opinions to expose any weak spots I might see. I'm all for changing stuff that's broken, but I'm just not seeing it. At the end of the day UO is a sandbox game heavily biased towards PvP interactions. A part of playing a game like that means accepting the fact that once in awhile you might die and absolutely lose everything.

I think you'd be better off adapting to the situation and rolling with the punches rather than making sweeping changes. Like really... make the WHOLE server no-cut because you personally have never sold a head? Ive seen a few streamers selling heads. Guy in here posts that he always buys his head.

Streets

Grandmaster
Definitely agree and I believe we discussed that last thread. But that's sort of like a philosophical argument. Not gonna help you much when a red is beating your ass to be like "SIR THIS IS NON CONSENSUAL COMBAT" lol

This made me literally lol

Ludwig

Grandmaster
It's kinda pointless. Reds have it way too easy here, especially because they roll deep most of the time. OSI was different because spawns were so camped you could count on an army of blues at a place like the LL room in level 4 Deceit. UOF doesn't really give a reason for blues to stick around in an area for a long time. That is one disadvantage to having balanced, strong, plentiful loot tables.

girana

Grandmaster
48hour punishment is fair and balanced.

Stuff like permastat may sounds harder but for most ppl its not harder because its super easy and cheap to get skills up again.

Janesworld

Apprentice
Nobody ever buys them back people even brag they would never buy it back. Why not make the whole server/game no cut? There is no penelty for being red here why even have mechanics like buyback in game?

It is way to unbalanced. Some people have more than 3 accounts and by pass the god sink 1m chat slot token.

It should be account wide 2 day stat loss on reds, I'm willing to bet people would be a lot more willing to pay if they knew they didn't have unlimited refs to play. 21 reds is a lot for 3 accounts. But 21 accounts are a ton of reds.

@Shane had mentioned this years ago but was swept under rug due to other upgrades/updates.