Did this work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

SidX

Grandmaster
For those of you who use UOAM, you may have realized running UO Auto Map with UO:Forever shows nothing but a black screen. As far as I know this is due to the way the map files have been changed over time within the UO auto updates, and UO Auto Map can no longer locate them, but there's a simple fix to get it working.

This is assuming you're using a Windows PC. If not, you will have to adjust the below accordingly.

If you open UO Auto Map but see a black screen:

1. Visit this forum post and downlod the .ZIP file. It contains .BMP files (bitmap images) which will be your new map files. I downloaded it and it is safe.

2. On your PC, locate the directory within which UO Auto Map stores its files. For me, on Windows 7, that directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\UOAM. Within this directory were the following files (may vary slightly on your PC):

Atlas.MAP
Common.MAP
Dungeons.MAP
Houses.map
Personal.map
register.exe
Treasure.MAP
uninst.exe
uoam.EXE
uoam_map_cache.exe
updateace.dll

Note: If you search for these files by name on your computer, they may not show up. Just dig around your C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) directories until you find the UOAM installation directory.

Once you find these files above, you're in the right directory. This is where you will drop your image files.

3. Unzip the folder you downloaded above that contains the .BMP image files. In this folder, cut and paste these .BMP files into the UO Auto Map directory that you found above. Do not move the entire folder with the images, only move the individual .BMP files into the UO Auto Map directory.

4. Your UO Auto Map directory should now contain the ".map", ".exe", etc. files listed above along with all of your .BMP images, like this:

mmSLyt8.jpg

5. In UO Auto Map, at the top, click "Map > UO client data files location..."

dIFfDbv.jpg

This opens the following window:

hxllOgE.jpg

Uncheck the box "Have UOAM locate client data files for you", and in the text box paste the full path of your UOAM directory that you found above (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\UOAM).

Note: If you do not drop your .BMP images into the main UO Auto Map directory, your map will still be black. You need to drop the files into the UO Auto Map directory containing the UOAM install files or this will not work. I believe this is the reason a lot of people say this method does not work.

Your UOAM should now display the map properly! Rejoice!

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
I cannot see the pictures while at work, does this fix UOAM from not displaying the houses as well?

SidX

Grandmaster
I cannot see the pictures while at work, does this fix UOAM from not displaying the houses as well?
I still can't see houses so that may be a separate issue. But I had a black map and this 100% resolved it, so at least I can mark points of interest, etc. :)

Casor

Adept
Had the same issue. Seems UOAM thinks that the server is Trammel. Must be something to do with the unique nature of the server map files. In that, it looks like Trammel (no dead trees, etc) but is really Felucca. In UOAM, pointing it to where the UOF install of UO was (Map/UO client data files location...) and then switching the map from 'Felucca' to 'Trammel' under Map/World pull-down menu resolved the 'black map' for me.

Kalurok

unfortunately UOAM-Maintainer has left the building... i have the problem, that UOAM doesn't find my location, its kind of offline.
Someone had this before?

Gremin_DHS

Neophyte
Done everything this has said to do, black maps are no more but no matter what setting I mess with it never shows me moving on the map or follows me around on my map which is what I want it to do.