Thief Life: Town Stealing

Tylerium

Apprentice
So being a thief is tough these days... Most backpacks are filled with a ton of blessed items or just general combat items like regs that I'm not going to bother stealing. Not to mention there's a complete safe zone at WBB to protect everyone and people constantly spamming Detect Hidden. Even still, I hit a few good targets everyday at WBB, with a rare few in the Brit crafting area or Moonglow. Everywhere else for the most part is dead when I check. I have two scenarios that happened tonight and I'd like the community's feedback.

Scenario 1: I stole a vanq axe, didn't get flagged public grey (only grey to the target) then walked my happy ass into the bank safezone at WBB before they attacked me. There was nothing the target could do to enact revenge. They then proceeded to complain a whole lot and said I was abusing a "bug". Is this in fact a bug? Or am I simply using the rules to my advantage?

Sceanario 2: I do this all the time... I steal from a target, and if I don't get flagged public grey and immediately guard whacked, I quickly bank the item I just stole before they attack my weak ass and kill me. One of my targets complained that this was "bullshit" and abusing a "bug". What do you think?

Another "bug" is that there are ankhs all around every town that will resurrect your character, no matter your criminal status. I use this to my advantage all the time as well, so I can get right back to good ol' thieving ASAP.

So what do you think? Is using the game mechanics and rules to play a legitimate character skillset to your advantage a bug? Should UOF devs add a coding exception to not allow Perma Grey flagged characters into the safezones? What about quick banking items? What about all the ankhs? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilike

Grandmaster
Working as intended. It's what happens when you put safe zones into otherwise unsafe areas.

Laugh at them and keep doing what you're doing.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Darkarna

Grandmaster
So being a thief is tough these days... Most backpacks are filled with a ton of blessed items or just general combat items like regs that I'm not going to bother stealing. Not to mention there's a complete safe zone at WBB to protect everyone and people constantly spamming Detect Hidden. Even still, I hit a few good targets everyday at WBB, with a rare few in the Brit crafting area or Moonglow. Everywhere else for the most part is dead when I check. I have two scenarios that happened tonight and I'd like the community's feedback.

Scenario 1: I stole a vanq axe, didn't get flagged public grey (only grey to the target) then walked my happy ass into the bank safezone at WBB before they attacked me. There was nothing the target could do to enact revenge. They then proceeded to complain a whole lot and said I was abusing a "bug". Is this in fact a bug? Or am I simply using the rules to my advantage?

Sceanario 2: I do this all the time... I steal from a target, and if I don't get flagged public grey and immediately guard whacked, I quickly bank the item I just stole before they attack my weak ass and kill me. One of my targets complained that this was "bullshit" and abusing a "bug". What do you think?

Another "bug" is that there are ankhs all around every town that will resurrect your character, no matter your criminal status. I use this to my advantage all the time as well, so I can get right back to good ol' thieving ASAP.

So what do you think? Is using the game mechanics and rules to play a legitimate character skillset to your advantage a bug? Should UOF devs add a coding exception to not allow Perma Grey flagged characters into the safezones? What about quick banking items? What about all the ankhs? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts...

You have done absolutely nothing wrong. Lately, more and more things are becoming blessed to please the crowds and making things harder for the Brotherhood/Sisterhood to liberate items, this is not uncommon with free servers as there are certain tastes that require a specific menu to 'eat' from, all I can say to you is continue what you can, while you can before thieves will be limited to stealing only a certain item type, a set amount per day before they begin to take counts.

As for safe zones, these are implemented because of the overwhelming amount of cry babies this server houses, they do not have the brains to bank in safer spots yet, because of their tsunami of tears and extreme sensitivity to negative scenarios, the end result is that these areas are now regarded as mini-trammel zones, please blame the mummy cuddled for this. Oh, to answer the negativity which this may receive regarding scripting, you can also blame thieves who have decided to use scripts to steal, the issue and is agreed between legitimate thieves is that those type of thieves are not thieves and just wannabes who are unable to liberate items the old fashioned way *another creation this server has provided the world*.

Grizard

Adept
I used to back in the day have another thief do a random steal on my empty pack once I stole an item. The 2 thieve were in same guild so there was no flag. It was a nice handoff.

There are a lot of blessed items nowadays and its not really lucrative to be a thief these days.

CAPTUN AUSTRALIA

Grandmaster
tsunami of tears

This is an accurate depiction of the large majority of the players here.

I also loved your mention of
scripting thieves - i couldn't agree more, and it goes beyond stealing. Anything that is automated in pvp can fit in this category, including target closest zergs.

Hydro

Grandmaster
my fav thing to steal is reds heads from pvpers and then if its $ stat them(ive yet to see more then 1 red $ guy) if not sell it back for 1...I am the reds dark knight of stealing crap

Last edited by a moderator:

Budcookie

Grandmaster
As for safe zones, these are implemented because of the overwhelming amount of cry babies this server houses, they do not have the brains to bank in safer spots yet, because of their tsunami of tears and extreme sensitivity to negative scenarios, the end result is that these areas are now regarded as mini-trammel zones, please blame the mummy cuddled for this.
You men like no cut zones?

Budcookie

Grandmaster
Id still play if they reset the rules back to original, im not scared. We have strayed far from Renaissance Era Mechanics. As it were I play now anyways but not as much as I used to.

Kilike

Grandmaster
Yea... I'll never understand the amount of crying people do about the no cut PVP zone outside of brit. Would you rather there be no hotspot for PVPers to come to try to get fights?
Because you need a no cut zone to find pvp? You've said yourself time and time again that you "only go there when there's nothing going on". To clarify you stated, no faction pvp,no rdas,no champs going on.

Sooo if by foster pvp in a "hotspot" you mean luring random noobies out to the bridge for you to 10man eb on closest target then res killing (thread about that recently) than sure. Other than that it's useless.

You're just as much a tram ***** as the blues you berate all the time.

Remove all tram zones

Remove stat loss

Man up

Salsa

Grandmaster
Because you need a no cut zone to find pvp? You've said yourself time and time again that you "only go there when there's nothing going on". To clarify you stated, no faction pvp,no rdas,no champs going on.

Sooo if by foster pvp in a "hotspot" you mean luring random noobies out to the bridge for you to 10man eb on closest target then res killing (thread about that recently) than sure. Other than that it's useless.

You're just as much a tram ***** as the blues you berate all the time.

We go to dungeons when there is nothing going on.

No Cut is where most all faction pvp happens you fucking moron.

Kilike

Grandmaster
We go to dungeons when there is nothing going on.

No Cut is where most all faction pvp happens you fucking moron.
I was in eqms dumbass, and that's a bullshit lie and you know it. Not to mention glutt has stated it in threads multiple times.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
I'm kind of amazed that people seriously argue that the Brit no-cut has not increased pvp. It lowers the barrier for people who are red, it puts people looking for pvp in one place, and it's close enough to west Brit that people are aware of it.

The no-cut hate is fucking weird. It's not like there's anything to do in the area but pvp, it's not ruining anyone pvm or crafting experience.

It was one of the best additions to increase pvp IMO.

@Tylerium you haven't broken any rules or abused any bugs. Keep on keeping on.

Kilike

Grandmaster
I'm kind of amazed that people seriously argue that the Brit no-cut has not increased pvp. It lowers the barrier for people who are red, it puts people looking for pvp in one place, and it's close enough to west Brit that people are aware of it.

The no-cut hate is fucking weird. It's not like there's anything to do in the area but pvp, it's not ruining anyone pvm or crafting experience.

It was one of the best additions to increase pvp IMO.

@Tylerium you haven't broken any rules or abused any bugs. Keep on keeping on.
Amazes me how the people in favor of the no cut zone are often the loudest in the anti tram group... Yet somehow can't understand how fucking tram the no cut is.

Budcookie

Grandmaster
Amazes me how the people in favor of the no cut zone are often the loudest in the anti tram group... Yet somehow can't understand how fucking tram the no cut is.

Dont try to reason with Karl, we Kansas Citians believe we are always right, even when we are wron....wro....wr......I cant say it but you understand.