The unfair treatment thieves get around here is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PekatronIII

Grandmaster
Nice grab to the thief... Salute
Wut u say beatch?
mini-happy.png

facepalm.png

halygon

Grandmaster
"Thieves have nothing to lose." I really hate when people say this. I once spent 2 1/2 hours watching some guy fill BODS only to get GW'ed on the steal.

There are really two types of thieves IMO.

People like me who take their time and look for the high end items, jump gates, and camp inside people houses for hours looking for the big scores.

And then there are people who die 40 times at WBB trying to steal regs.
Good thing you didn't watch me fill bods for two hours. You would have seen me fill the last one then recall away without submitting it. I usually select a random BS shop to turn mine in so no one knows what I am doing.

I find the long game rarely works out for thieves unless you are working on a scam (ie "Yeah I got your heals from pks" - guy dies and you immediately loot em). If I am on one of my thieves I usually bounce around between targets to see who is going to give me the best opportunity - and usually these are best done in dungeons or outside of town. I don't think I have ever gotten anything of worth within town limits except maybe a skill scroll or the odd runic hammer.

Thrifty McBeg

Apprentice
Good thing you didn't watch me fill bods for two hours. You would have seen me fill the last one then recall away without submitting it. I usually select a random BS shop to turn mine in so no one knows what I am doing.

I find the long game rarely works out for thieves unless you are working on a scam (ie "Yeah I got your heals from pks" - guy dies and you immediately loot em). If I am on one of my thieves I usually bounce around between targets to see who is going to give me the best opportunity - and usually these are best done in dungeons or outside of town. I don't think I have ever gotten anything of worth within town limits except maybe a skill scroll or the odd runic hammer.

I pretty much only do long steals. Go big or go home is how I play. More often than not I lose out but sometimes I score.

squatchy

Expert
It is tough, but I have made more cash with my thief than my other 2 characters combined. Stealing a double strike relic helped that considerably. :) You dont get thrills like that with other character classes.

Caso

Grandmaster
I'm a lil confused personally.... I hear people saying in the pvp forums that it's ok to have everything automated and the excuse they give is "the game has evolved since 1997". So it's ok to have a macro that will disarm your weapon for you and drink your pot, then re-arm your weapon. A feature that is disabled in game I might add.

It's ok to have a one button macro that will target two mobs for you then provoke them for you etc etc.
It's ok to have a script mine for you, place the ore in the pack, and even recall to your house to empty you and your mutt's pack, then recall back to the spot to get more.

You people call this evolving? but when a thief gets a script, then everyone wants to scream foul, do it the old way, blah blah blah. Well my question is if a thief must steal the old way, then why don't everyone else run around here clicking and pulling bars and targeting "the old way"? Why is it ok for everyone else to "evolve" but not the thief?

I mean I totally get it and I personally steal "the old way" simply because it's what I'm used to, not because it's the fair way to steal. I do get it but I also see the prejudices also. WHY?
Unfortunately UO has gone in the other direction - client assisted pvp and stealing.

Fast reflexes are no longer required.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
I'm a lil confused personally.... I hear people saying in the pvp forums that it's ok to have everything automated and the excuse they give is "the game has evolved since 1997". So it's ok to have a macro that will disarm your weapon for you and drink your pot, then re-arm your weapon. A feature that is disabled in game I might add.

It's ok to have a one button macro that will target two mobs for you then provoke them for you etc etc.
It's ok to have a script mine for you, place the ore in the pack, and even recall to your house to empty you and your mutt's pack, then recall back to the spot to get more.

You people call this evolving? but when a thief gets a script, then everyone wants to scream foul, do it the old way, blah blah blah. Well my question is if a thief must steal the old way, then why don't everyone else run around here clicking and pulling bars and targeting "the old way"? Why is it ok for everyone else to "evolve" but not the thief?

I mean I totally get it and I personally steal "the old way" simply because it's what I'm used to, not because it's the fair way to steal. I do get it but I also see the prejudices also. WHY?

Thieves get the shit end - I totally agree.

If reds can come in and easily take the boss at a champ (and do a fraction of the work), why shouldn't there be another class that can come in and easily rob them of that reward (for an even smaller fraction of the work). Seems like just deserts to me.

Dupster

Apprentice
^^^This is true regarding being loved, I dunno they seem ok at the moment.

I could show you the vaults of loot I have from thieving, it takes time to find the right spots. Then again sometimes even places like the bard room and so forth have great scores sometimes (and you get to annoy the shite out of pple who think its their right to afk macro 24/7)

a magical man

Grandmaster
when i came back my first 8 days i made 7 mil from stealthing and stealing.... o also spent it all very fast like a kid in a candy store

Darkarna

Grandmaster
You can't play a thief and expect to be loved for it.

[e Oooh

Some of us scoundrelous types make a pretty penny being friendly. The key, I believe, is to steal something and explain why you have stolen said item, I mean, nearly all thieves try to imagine themselves as well dressed rogues with a personality so charming that even a Balron would bend over a barrel pleading for rear entrance exploration.

The fundamental issue with up and coming thieves is this attitude where wealth takes centre stage. Wealth is fine for a while, but when you have accumulated enough shiny things most thieves branch off into something completely, rogue unrelated. There is an unwritten rule as a thief, you need to at least, have the ability to implement a little story telling from time to time, not only does this provide entertainment to those who listen *and the thief who intends to steal something from mesmerized victims* it also shows that we are human and do have the ability of passionate thinking.

Script stealing really has ruined a lot of elements regarding the thief class, the easy fix is just to nerf the class so stealing is a lot harder and no matter how much this annoys me, the problem lies within the user who believes they are something special because they can use it. The real thief is someone who can steal manually and steal with great speed, going through the motions of setting up a mark, targeting items, using the skill and finally executing your last target hot key. I believe, if you can run through all these motions without script-stealing, you will always be a highly skilled thief, the way the thief should be played. Oh.... What could that faint whisper in the background be? *Strains ears* "The only reason why I use a script is because you can not compete with other players who use it?" I get this, I understand why you mention this, but you do realize you are just pushing the class as it is into extinction? You are aware that you can steal relics, power scrolls etc, manually? How? Why?

Learn as most old thieves have done because when you evolve your way of thinking, one day, you might be here defending your class when I have long gone, feeling the same way as I do about the thief class and stepping up to the mark when other thieves are here trying to completely destroy our class without thinking of the bigger picture. No other class has been so widely documented on Ultima Online, no other class has given so much back to the community in the form of comics *marketing , advertisements etc* and we should be setting examples more so than any other class on here.

Do the right thing, get rid of your script stealing... scripts, for the sake of all thieves... Ultima Online would be a very bleak place without us...

*Peace and love....*

EDIT : Script stealing takes away the risk vs reward factor, folks complain about reds etc, we shouldn't expect anything different for ourselves..

Last edited by a moderator:

Deadpool

Grandmaster
[e Oooh

Some of us scoundrelous types make a pretty penny being friendly. The key, I believe, is to steal something and explain why you have stolen said item, I mean, nearly all thieves try to imagine themselves as well dressed rogues with a personality so charming that even a Balron would bend over a barrel pleading for rear entrance exploration.

The fundamental issue with up and coming thieves is this attitude where wealth takes centre stage. Wealth is fine for a while, but when you have accumulated enough shiny things most thieves branch off into something completely, rogue unrelated. There is an unwritten rule as a thief, you need to at least, have the ability to implement a little story telling from time to time, not only does this provide entertainment to those who listen *and the thief who intends to steal something from mesmerized victims* it also shows that we are human and do have the ability of passionate thinking.

Script stealing really has ruined a lot of elements regarding the thief class, the easy fix is just to nerf the class so stealing is a lot harder and no matter how much this annoys me, the problem lies within the user who believes they are something special because they can use it. The real thief is someone who can steal manually and steal with great speed, going through the motions of setting up a mark, targeting items, using the skill and finally executing your last target hot key. I believe, if you can run through all these motions without script-stealing, you will always be a highly skilled thief, the way the thief should be played. Oh.... What could that faint whisper in the background be? *Strains ears* "The only reason why I use a script is because you can not compete with other players who use it?" I get this, I understand why you mention this, but you do realize you are just pushing the class as it is into extinction? You are aware that you can steal relics, power scrolls etc, manually? How? Why?

Learn as most old thieves have done because when you evolve your way of thinking, one day, you might be here defending your class when I have long gone, feeling the same way as I do about the thief class and stepping up to the mark when other thieves are here trying to completely destroy our class without thinking of the bigger picture. No other class has been so widely documented on Ultima Online, no other class has given so much back to the community in the form of comics *marketing , advertisements etc* and we should be setting examples more so than any other class on here.

Do the right thing, get rid of your script stealing... scripts, for the sake of all thieves... Ultima Online would be a very bleak place without us...

*Peace and love....*

EDIT : Script stealing takes away the risk vs reward factor, folks complain about reds etc, we shouldn't expect anything different for ourselves..

When's the full novel out for purchase?

drasked

Grandmaster
Script stealing really has ruined a lot of elements regarding the thief class, the easy fix is just to nerf the class so stealing is a lot harder and no matter how much this annoys me, the problem lies within the user who believes they are something special because they can use it.

I disagree with this. Preventing theft is so easy that the only counter that gives some chance is scripts.

If you steal fully manual (no sallos) then you are simply not stealing high profile shit.

I get the whole RP thief thing, but i play a thief to make money for pvp stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.