The Spider Guide

Sapperman

Grandmaster
So I decided to give a little rundown of the Spider. I currently own a level 6 spider that has three relics, necrosis (10), carapace (8) and brood (4). The spider is a very resilient pet and serves as an excellent tank. The base damage output is low compared to that of a dragon, however with brood and anticipating desiccate next month the damage should increase significantly. So a quick breakdown by stages.

Stage 1: Easy to level, gazer room in cove should get you there in a couple hours.

Stage 2: Still pretty weak but strong enough to do the skeletal knights at the deceit teleporter.

Stage 3: Getting stronger at this point, ettins, trolls, ogres and orcs are the best for leveling.

Stage 4: I spent the whole level in the orc cave and leveled fairly quickly.

Stage 5: Now the spider is getting stronger, ogre lords, deamons, and rotting corpses are the way to go.

Stage 6: The spider can now tank fairly well, same creatures as level 5.

So a breakdown on relics.

Necrosis: (200 Powerscrolls) Acting like a molten except the damage is circular range based and looks like locke coles mirror image “Ultima’s”. Quick and easy to level just farm.

Carapace: (200 Powerscrolls) I think this relic needs some more love, when it procs it increases the AR by 200 for a duration up to 20 seconds I believe. The AR is barely noticeable. However, it does refresh your spiders stamina when it procs which is very helpful considering stamina and dex are your spiders friend.

I recommend that the proc adds reflective armor similar to scaled down dark father reflect for a duration up to 20 secs.

Brood: (150 powerscrolls) Brood is a cool relic, as your levels increase the spider summons other spiders to assist it. Becomes pretty powerful. Will add more as I level it.

Downside and recommendation, allow the broodlings to persist beyond the creature it was proc’ed on. Many times it will proc on a lower end mob and lose the damage on the mob you are actually trying to kill.

Desiccate: Will update as soon as I get it.

Overall, the spider needs tweaked to remain competitive to a meta dragon. With a meta dragon’s quicksilver the spider has no chance to compete with damage. However, the tanking ability is pretty awesome.

I have fought a level 7 dragon with a level 6 spider and it was incredibly close. The dragon won but not by much. However, not much should be given to this since relics cannot be proc’ed against other pets. In order to truly gauge I would have to run analysis on different creatures killed by time. I may do this once I hit level 7 for better results.

Final recommendation, tweak relics as described or make a 3 slot pet. As it is currently, it is not overpowered to be a 3 slot. This would allow for a mare or meta steed to augment damage plus paralytic etc. If damage is increased through relics or through direct damage then the 4 slot is warranted.

I hope that helps someone. I will update more as I discover it. Since no guide exists about spiders I felt I would add one to demystify the spider.

@eppy

Last edited by a moderator:

exince

Grandmaster
I do (party) agree.. My spider is lvl 7 and has all 4 relics at max level..

I do agree that the spider is the better tank in a "farm" situation, but that changes during champs.

Doing champs its pretty easy to get your pet trappend by spawn. Meta dragons quicksilver will make it break free. Not so the spider. Spider lacks the dmg output to break free, pull back and heal up.

This becomes even worse with how its best dmg relic (brood) currently works: to get the pack bonus your char has to stay max 2 tiles away from the spider. Almost never an option during champs. Combine it with the fact spiderlings despawn when target dies and its weaknesses become pretty clear.

(Actually, there is another weakness to brood: it proccs when spider is hit, not when it hits. Not a problem during champs, but dmg will be even lower at rdas as u won t always have agro)

Proposed changes:

Carrapace:
- i agree with the op. Carrapace needs more. The proposed darkfather ability sounds like a good option. Also easy to adjust/tune

Brood:
- make it procc on hit, not on being hit. Dmg relic being reactive doesn t make sense
- increase range for pack bonus (or even better: remove it.. Make it screenwide)
- make broodlings stay for the duration. Make them not attack players

@eppy

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Young Star

Grandmaster
Brood should really have a lot of the same proc and cooldown stats as QS. It has the potential to be a lot like a nerfed QS having all the broodlings attacking doing a lot of small quick damage. Broodlings should be able to stay and keep attacking any other targets after the first one dies. Not sure if it is possible but if they can be set to guard mode for the "mother" spider it will keep them from going after other players unless the player decides to attack the mother while they are out. Same risk as attacking a dragon when the QS is active.

Carapace I think has the potential to be the big difference that makes the spider a unique alternative. It may not be able to kill as fast but it would be able to tank like a defense dexer compared to a berserker. The carapace abilities should either take on some properties of a defense dexer's relics and be able to absorb or reflect magic as well as the physical attacks it already does with 200AR. Either reflect like recoil/dark father, absorb like leech, or give it a high circle magic reflect.

What would have been really cool but probably OP would have been instead of being highly resistant to poison, the poison would instead heal it like the soul devourer.

exince

Grandmaster
Carapace I think has the potential to be the big difference that makes the spider a unique alternative. It may not be able to kill as fast but it would be able to tank like a defense dexer compared to a berserker.

i'm sorry, but i dont agree, that the spider should have the lower dmg output "over time" as a meta dragon.

i say:
spider and meta dragon damage OVER TIME should be almost equal!

dragon already has the advantage of the "burst damage" with quicksilver. It also allows the use of a ww/mare/meta steed which will always make the dragon/sidekick the better damage option. spider will have the higher survivability

thoughts?

Sapperman

Grandmaster
i'm sorry, but i dont agree, that the spider should have the lower dmg output "over time" as a meta dragon.

i say:
spider and meta dragon damage OVER TIME should be almost equal!

dragon already has the advantage of the "burst damage" with quicksilver. It also allows the use of a ww/mare/meta steed which will always make the dragon/sidekick the better damage option. spider will have the higher survivability

thoughts?

I agree with you here, caveat to that though...... if the spider is made a 3 slot then I think a tank over a dps is reasonable but when it is a 4 slot with lower damage than a 3 slot, something is wrong. That's not to mention the pain in the ass it takes to get a spider, the relics and level them.

In short, I think a spider's damage should exceed a dragons since no opportunity for a mount exists. Otherwise make it a 3 slot and let it tank.

girana

Grandmaster
add a 1 slot ride able scropion that you can only ride/control if you got lvl7 spider out would fix it !

exince

Grandmaster
Not sure wouldn t be too strong.. Higher dmg... Higher survivability.. Not sure that would work out...

Giving up dmg for survivability could be a good tradeoff at times... Also u should account that at "same damage as dragon" u ll be mounted (ethy) using the spider. If the dragon user wants more damage then spider, he will have to dismount.

Trojandrew

Grandmaster
to be fair you can still have a mount, just not a dmg mount. so you'll still have some mobility, just the dmg output would still be low

also with the new dungeon in the works, they'll probably have a spot where the spider will be perfect to use

Sapperman

Grandmaster
Well I think the spider should at bare minimum equal the damage of a dragon. A ridable spider would be cool, add to pack damage, might be a good alternative.

@exince is the only one on the shard who can reliably testify how a full maxed lvl 7 operates.

I still think carapace needs love though.

exince

Grandmaster
Well I think the spider should at bare minimum equal the damage of a dragon. A ridable spider would be cool, add to pack damage, might be a good alternative.

@exince is the only one on the shard who can reliably testify how a full maxed lvl 7 operates.

I still think carapace needs love though.
New ridables (spiders/scorps) don t exist in uo and are rather hard to implement..

asics

Grandmaster
New ridables (spiders/scorps) don t exist in uo and are rather hard to implement..

Wrong.. Tjere are tons f mount..and also giant spider are a mount on a lot of custom server..is an easy thing..not a graphic works..

exince

Grandmaster
Wrong.. Tjere are tons f mount..and also giant spider are a mount on a lot of custom server..is an easy thing..not a graphic works..
I wonder why they don t appear as ridables then when i start runuo