The future of Taming

Bunnky

Grandmaster
Adam was in irc yesterday talking about a "wand of control". It should boost how your pets listen to your commands. To use it, you'd have to use a charge of that wand. Wands can be recharged like pet summon balls (with donation coins of course).

Not sure he was serious but well... what do you think? /discuss
That's...
Just another reason to ignore getting a meta. I will never buy an item like that. Spamming all stop/all stay and greater heal is easier than reaching for my wallet.

Why can't the wand go on gold sink?

lollo

Grandmaster
That's...
Just another reason to ignore getting a meta. I will never buy an item like that. Spamming all stop/all stay and greater heal is easier than reaching for my wallet.

Why can't the wand go on gold sink?

$$$

Bunnky

Grandmaster
Let's not forget, an item like that is REALLY close to a P2W item..

Think of those that couldn't afford such an item, whether they have a meta or not. A person with a wand will be better at all aspects of playing a tamer. Quicker money over time, and an upper hand in pvp over another tamer with equal skill but less control over their pets..

I know this argument is a touchy one, but think about it for a minute. A wand like that tweaks a tamer to be slightly, very slightly more dangerous. An increase to power though small, using rl money(whether you bought the dono coins with gold or not)? I'd rather be dry looted.

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
Yeah. It's a touchy subject indeed.

I just don't really understand the continued development of taming as it's already crazy in terms of costs and farming ability.

It's like turning it up to 11, and just like the spinal tap movie, trying to explain why: "but you see, it's one louder!"

200 tamer PS.. still for sale. Anyone?

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Tapatalk

Don Key

Master
It's too bad that powerscrolls aren't in +1 increments. Like skill scrolls they should just boost your cap by one.

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
When I first started this shard this summer, the #1 thing I thought as soon as I started was "I want to make a tamer." I always wanted to back in the day, but was in school/college and whatnot and just didn't get around to it, so I just had your basic dexxer. So that was my real only goal when I came here. To make a tamer.

Then I saw that taming scrolls were going for 150k (at the time), and the skill itself raised unbearably slowly. Like, bigger grind than any other game I have ever played...which is A LOT. "Oh well," I said. "That will only make achieving it that much sweeter and more satisfying." Yet in the past few months, taming scrolls have almost double in value. I still play my provo dexxers and t-hunter, racking up gold, but the thing is -- I don't want to do that. I don't like those builds. I only play them for gold, for a tamer.

I got my other jollies off in the game -- got lots of cool rares I liked, a nice 18x18, got every resource/reg/bandage/pot/etc in mass quantities, and now the only goal left is tamer. So I rolled up my sleeves. But I look around these days, and taming SS are now going for 250k, and the PS alone to get to 120 are going to cost me 10mil+. And now pet stat loss has been implemented, meaning I won't be able to just log in and play my tamer right quick; no, now I will have to spend a disproportionate amount of hours simply re-training them over and over just to keep them strong, and not to mention there is not much point to playing anymore at that point anyway since there is nothing to work for because taming is the only long-term goal in the entire game.

I'm not gonna say I'm quitting. But I will probably pack up my vendors, lock up my house, and retire for a good while. I do like the devs here but taming 140 PS?? A rechargeable wand that makes your pets actually listen to you??? If that wand bit is not "pay to play" I don't know what is. If I wanted to pay to play I'd play Star Wars Old Republic and fly all over the galaxy exploring a dozen fully-designed planets on my own private spaceship. Not to bash UO, but this is a 20 year old 2D game that frankly wasn't even designed well enough to really provide longevity.

Nothing rechargeable should be on the donation vendor. EVER. If you are hurting for $$$ as a shard, get creative and come up with things people actually want to buy -- don't rope the most popular build type into force-paying you every month, just so their build works properly. I try to keep a friendly outlook on everything & everyone here, but I have seen this type of stuff from a dev team before, and 100% of the time it ends up bad.

[Note: I understand these are speculative ideas, and both times the devs were quoted out of context. I am just venting/ranting on an issue that is make-or-break game for me.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Key

Master
When I first started this shard this summer, the #1 thing I thought as soon as I started was "I want to make a tamer." I always wanted to back in the day, but was in school/college and whatnot and just didn't get around to it, so I just had your basic dexxer. So that was my real only goal when I came here. To make a tamer.

Then I saw that taming scrolls were going for 150k (at the time), and the skill itself raised unbearably slowly. Like, bigger grind than any other game I have ever played...which is A LOT. "Oh well," I said. "That will only make achieving it that much sweeter and more satisfying." Yet in the past few months, taming scrolls have almost double in value. I still play my provo dexxers and t-hunter, racking up gold, but the thing is -- I don't want to do that. I don't like those builds. I only play them for gold, for a tamer.

I got my other jollies off in the game -- got lots of cool rares I liked, a nice 18x18, got every resource/reg/bandage/pot/etc in mass quantities, and now the only goal left is tamer. So I rolled up my sleeves. But I look around these days, and taming SS are now going for 250k, and the PS alone to get to 120 are going to cost me 10mil+. And now pet stat loss has been implemented, meaning I won't be able to just log in and play my tamer right quick; no, now I will have to spend some proportionate amount of hours simply re-training them over and over just to keep them strong, and not to mention there is not much point to playing anymore at that point anyway since there is nothing to work for because taming is the only long-term goal in the entire game.

I'm not gonna say I'm quitting. But I will probably pack up my vendors, lock up my house, and retire for a good while. I do like the devs here but taming 140 PS?? A rechargeable wand that makes your pets actually listen to you??? If that wand bit is not "pay to play" I don't know what is. If I wanted to pay to play I'd play Star Wars Old Republic and fly all over the galaxy exploring a dozen fully-designed planets on my own private spaceship. Not to bash UO, but this is a 20 year old 2D game that frankly wasn't even designed well enough to really provide longevity.

Nothing rechargeable should be on the donation vendor. EVER. If you are hurting for $$$ as a shard, get creative and come up with things people actually want to buy -- don't rope the most popular build type into force-paying you every month, just so their build works properly. I try to keep a friendly outlook on everything & everyone here, but I have seen this type of stuff from a dev team before, and 100% of the time it ends up bad.

You say it like you HAVE to have 140 taming. You don't.

I just hope at 140 taming they let you ride your dragon and still have it firebreathe while you're riding it.

FingersFinn

Grandmaster

I got my other jollies off in the game -- got lots of cool rares I liked, a nice 18x18, got every resource/reg/bandage/pot/etc in mass quantities, and now the only goal left is tamer. So I rolled up my sleeves. But I look around these days, and taming SS are now going for 250k, and the PS alone to get to 120 are going to cost me 10mil+. And now pet stat loss has been implemented, meaning I won't be able to just log in and play my tamer right quick; no, now I will have to spend a disproportionate amount of hours simply re-training them over and over just to keep them strong, and not to mention there is not much point to playing anymore at that point anyway since there is nothing to work for because taming is the only long-term goal in the entire game.

[Note: I understand these are speculative ideas, and both times the devs were quoted out of context. I am just venting/ranting on an issue that is make-or-break game for me.]
A-fucking-men. Couldn't have said it better myself. +1.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Tapatalk

TheFallen

Grandmaster
I think we may be jumping the gun a bit here. We have had next to no gm input on the subject and since there is no argument that tamers pets shouldn't listen as much as they do. People are complaining about over powered pets (specifically in pvp) but no one wants control nerfed so I can see no reason why they wouldn't simply give proper pet control. At this point I would say everything is open for discussion and I would suggest give 100% control when pet is bonded as this requires min Taming and hey if a pet is bonded to you it should listen to you. Then nerf pets to 50% to players outside of dungeons. Farmers can still defend and pvp tamer builds will have a much smaller advantage.

Grisbone

Expert
How about something like a Bracelet of Command. Gold sink/Dono, bound to a single pet and increases control chance by a percentage.

lollo

Grandmaster

If you want to have a tamer you SHOULD grind it the good old fashioned way.

I remember gming taming on OSI in 2000 and boy was it nice to gain that last 0.1 after hundreds ams hundreds of hours.

Honestly, playing a tamer isn't even funny and it'd be that much worse if you didn't even have to train in up.

TL;DR: Skill scrolls are lame